Join Sai Baba Announcement List

DOWNLOAD SAMARPAN - Nov 2018

Author Topic: Blessing of a Good Character  (Read 28886 times)

Offline jravi

• Blessings 2
Blessing of a Good Character
« on: April 01, 2013, 05:58:34 AM »
  • Publish
  • A Brahmin named Mumbaji had come to stay in the neighbourhood of Saint Tukaram. He would always despise Tukaram but would also go to listen to his devotional hymns. With Mumbaji as their neighbour, people around are bound to face problems. People like Mumbaji want comfort and security more than knowledge. If he faced any inconvenience, he would condemn Tukaram saying, ‘You pretend to be a great saint. Your cow chewed up my corn; now you have to pay for it.’ Once he was so annoyed with Tukaram that he beat him up black and blue with a tree branch.

When Mumbaji did not come for that evening’s devotional session, Tukaram asked, ‘Where is Mumbaji? Why hasn’t he come?’ He went to see Mumbaji at his place and told him, ‘Perhaps your hands are paining after beating me with that branch. Shall I massage your hands?’ Mumbaji felt deeply ashamed.

Understanding

This incident from Saint Tukaram’s life teaches us what patience and love is and how one ought to behave with others. The main point which features in his teaching is ‘staying in the company of virtuous people.’ When you stay in the company of virtuous people, you would automatically get rid of the five vices such as eyeing others’ wealth or others’ women, criticism of others, violence, and desiring respect from others. He says, ‘It’s no use looking at shade from a distance. You can feel it only by going under it. When you go there, you will feel the coolness, and all troubles arising out of heat and anger will disappear.’ This is why it is advised to be in the company of upright people. Only by being in their company, can we become upright.

OM JAI SAI SAI SAI SAI RAM
    JAI SAI RAM

Offline jravi

• Blessings 2
    Selfless Service
    « Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 02:27:59 AM »
  • Publish
  • There was a leper who used to beg all day. He would happily sit alone in the corner of a street. People would pass by and some would give him alms and some would not. There was a man who was closely observing this leper every day. He wondered, ‘what inspires this leper to live, what are his aspirations, why doesn’t he think of ending his life?’

Every human being has some purpose to live. For some, it is their children, while for some it may be to acquire wisdom. One may live to earn money and another would live to acquire a name, fame and power. Everyone has some or the other purpose of living. What does this leper have that inspires him to continue to live?

One day this man could not contain himself and finally asked the leper, “Why are you living? You have so many difficulties, you are in pain, you do not get proper food, you live in this dirt on the footpath, and no one looks at you. So, what is your motivation to live?”

The leper’s reply was astonishing, profound and such that each one of us should deeply contemplate on it.

He said, “I am living for you. Actually, I have come to know my true nature, who I am, what the purpose of my life is and why am I here. Hence I am living. Had I not known this, I would have committed suicide long ago. So, whenever anyone asks me why I am living, I will tell them that after having seen my true face, the feeling of a Witness and a Self Witness has arisen in me. Therefore, I am in great bliss. You may be feeling that I am very unhappy, but actually I do not have any sorrow, I am not at all unhappy. Whenever a curious person like you passes by, I act and yell out as if in great pain so that a question arises within him too as to what is it that drives me to live despite so much pain. You just can’t imagine how much I enjoy performing this act!”

The leper had realized the purpose of his life. He was performing his role with utmost sincerity and dedication so that his purpose was fulfilled.

Understanding

When we understand the purpose of our life, even sorrow can become the cause of happiness. Till today, we have been stuck with the dualities of joy and sorrow, honor and insult, success and failure. But we have never tried to know the third entity, which is beyond these dualities. After knowing it, we will be liberated from both, happiness and sorrow. Otherwise we will be stuck in duality all our life and will never try to understand our Mission .

OM JAI SAI SAI SAI SAI RAM
    JAI SAI RAM

Offline shalabh

• Blessings 4
    • Om Shree Sai Nathay
    Re: Blessing of a Good Character
    « Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 03:00:41 AM »
  • Publish
  • Thank you for adding the solutions for life by these Good stories.
    SAI RAM
    SHALABH     BHARADWAJ

Offline jravi

• Blessings 2
    « Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 03:32:44 AM »
  • Publish
  • JAI SAI RAM

Thanks Shalabh Ji

SAI RAM

Offline jravi

• Blessings 2
    « Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 04:06:36 AM »
  • Publish
  • Once upon a time in a village, there was a man who used to break stones for a living. He used to go to the hills at the outskirts of the village for chipping away at stones. Once, while at work, a thought occurred to him – ‘I work hard all day to break these stones and people use them to build their mansions. How I wish that I had a mansion too!’ Immediately there was a prophecy from the skies. ‘All your wishes will be fulfilled.’ Indeed the man was graced with a beautiful mansion. He spent a few days in joy.

One day, a King’s convoy was passing by his mansion. Seeing the King seated in lavish comfort on an elephant, he thought ‘Wow! It must be so wonderful to be a King and go around in such luxury. I wish I were a King…’ This wish was immediately granted too.

Having become a King, he began roaming around in his cavalcade. After spending a few days enjoying this luxury, he began to feel hot inside his carriage. It was summer and he was perspiring in the severe heat. A thought struck him ‘The Sun seems to be stronger than the King. If only, I could be the Sun…!’

He did become the sun, but his happiness lasted only till the end of summer. With the onset of the rainy season, the sky was overcast. The clouds veiled the sun. He felt, ‘The clouds seem to be more powerful than the sun; I wish I were a cloud.’ Presto! He became a cloud. He was thrilled to wander as a cloud in the sky. As you might expect, strong winds began to shove the clouds from one end to the other. While being jostled thus, he thought ‘The wind is stronger than the clouds. I would love to be the wind…’ No sooner did this thought arise, that he became the wind.

Delighted to be the wind, he was blowing all over. He uprooted many trees in glee. But he realized that he could not budge the hill. The hill blocked his movement. This meant that the hill prevailed over the wind. He thought, ‘It would be better to be a hill….’

With this thought, he became a hill. After a few days, there came a man who started striking the hill for stones. ‘The person striking the stone appears to be dominant over the hill. I wish I could be that person’. And lo and behold, he became a stone breaker again.

Thus, this man went through the whole journey from being a stone breaker till he returned to the life of a stonebreaker with awareness. Having been through all these experiences, he no longer desired to change his job or situation. He continued stone breaking for the rest of his life. However, having been through the entire journey with awareness, he now remained always happy.

Understanding

Be happy in whatever you are , and whatever you have.

OM JAI SAI SAI SAI RAM
    JAI SAI RAM

Offline jravi

• Blessings 2
    Painter with a Magic Brush
    « Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 03:14:23 AM »
  • Publish

• There is a painter who breathes life into all the pictures he paints, using a magic brush. One day he painted a landscape with trees, shrubs, grass, a well, a house, a scarecrow, and also a few dwarfs. To add resonance to his creation, he painted various symbols on the trees, rocks, stones, on the walls of the well and the scarecrow – all meant to communicate subtle messages. At the same time, he used his magic paint brush to create another such brush which has the power to bring alive the painted objects. This brush too he hid within the painting, giving clues as to its location. What can be more awesome than using one magic brush to draw another such brush, and both possessing the power of breathing life into the paintings created using them. It is just asking the magic lamp of Aladdin for another magic lamp!

The dwarfs in the painting would keep wandering around the farm, but they could not see the clues in the painting pointing to the location of the magic brush. The intention of the artist was that these subtle messages should become visible only to those people who searched for them very intently. If you focus on the branches and trunks of the trees, you will see that they form a picture, just as it is possible to discern certain shapes in the clouds if one gazes at them long enough. The dwarfs could not see the hints. So there was no way they could find the brush concealed in the picture.

The sad part was that these hidden messages were of great value for the dwarfs. If they were to look at those pictures and find the message hidden in them, their height would increase as a result.

One day, the dwarfs began to question and seek answers, and began discovering the hidden messages. They gained not only in height, intelligence and wisdom, but also found the magic brush which enabled them to express themselves to their fullest, thus fulfilling the purpose for which the painter had created the picture.

OM JAI SAI SAI SAI RAM
    JAI SAI RAM

Offline jravi

• Blessings 2
    Power of Prayer ( …the right decision)
    « Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 06:31:23 AM »
  • Publish

• Some pigeons used to sit on a tree in a park. Suddenly danger started lingering on these pigeons. A hunter began to frequent the park. Every time he came, he hunted down a pigeon to take home.

One day, two pigeons were sitting on the tree. They saw the hunter come towards them, at the same time they also saw a hawk hovering above. It was a frightening situation. Both of them said to each other, “Now what do we do? If we continue to sit here the hunter’s arrow can pierce us, and if we take off in the sky the hawk may catch us.” Then one of them said, “There is only one way to get out of this situation – prayer. Come, let us pray together.” The other said, “There is no use praying now. The time to pray has already passed.” The first one replied, “It is never too late to pray.” Whenever we remember we can at least pray with feeling, understanding and reverence to be saved from the calamity.

As soon as they finished praying, they saw that the hunter was aiming at them. When he was just about to release the arrow, a scorpion bit him. The arrow left the bow, went up straight into the sky and hit the hawk. This was the result of their prayer. They got rid of both their enemies in one stroke.

Understanding:

In the most difficult of situations, when decision-making seems difficult or you need more time to decide, do not forget to pray, even though you do not see any signs of your prayer getting fulfilled.

OM JAI SAI SAI SAI RAM
    JAI SAI RAM

Offline jravi

• Blessings 2
    This is that what we need
    « Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 02:25:07 AM »
  • Publish

• A saint was going to a village with his disciples. His disciples said, “It’s getting late and it will be dark by the time we reach the village. Let us stay here for the night.” The saint said, “No, we will go.” The disciples could not oppose him and they set off for that village. It was indeed nighttime when they reached there. In that village, majority of the people were those belonging to a different sect. They were quite unwelcoming and did not provide any food or accommodation to them. All the disciples got angry as they had not wished to come there in the first place.

They started complaining, “We shouldn’t have come now. Where will we go at this hour?”
    The saint said, “Don’t jump to conclusions.” Whatever was happening, if only the disciples had known the mantra, they would have said, ‘This is that what we need.’ But they couldn’t say that.

They found a ramshackle hut outside the village to spend the night. They had to sleep with all kind of hardships in that rundown place where half the roof was broken. When night set in… what a night it was! A lovely full moon was shining in the sky with all its glory. When the saint opened his eyes after midnight, he witnessed that wonderful sight in the sky and felt so elated that he woke up his disciples to show them too. When the disciples saw it, such feelings stirred within them, such bliss arose in them, which otherwise they would never have experienced. It was then that the disciples realized and agreed that no matter what the situation, it always is: ‘This is that what we need.’

A few moments back it appeared that whatever was happening was wrong. They felt we certainly don’t need this, we did not need to be thrown out of the village. But from the scene that came next, it was evident as to: What was the reality? What were we being prepared for?

Understanding:

The one (Guru) who sees from the helicopter view (higher level of consciousness) knows this. Surrender Completely to your True Guru.

OM JAI SAI SAI SAI RAM
    JAI SAI RAM

Offline jravi

• Blessings 2
    God’s Desire
    « Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 02:34:05 AM »
  • Publish

• A mother has three sons. They are all seated in a room. The first son wants to watch the television, the second one wants to listen to the radio and the third wants to paint a picture. All three are fighting with each other. The first son says, “You stop painting.” The third one says, “Switch off the television.” So among each one of them, if one has a problem with the television, the other has a trouble with the radio and the third is upset with the painting. The mother observes them fight and thinks, “Let their wishes be fulfilled.” The mother loves her children and so she does not say a word to them. She feeds them on time, buys them toys and provides them with everything they need.

The children are busy in fulfilling their desires. Then suddenly one day they think of their mother. ‘What is her wish? Does she want us to watch television or not? Does she want us to listen to the radio or not? Does she want us to paint or not? What does she want? It is important to know mother’s wish.’ Every child at some point of time does think what his mother desires, who has always been showering him with unconditional love.

The three children in this analogy symbolise the body, mind and intellect. The mother symbolises the Self. The body, mind and the intellect wish that their mother’s will be fulfilled. They want to know her wish. True happiness lies only in fulfilling their mother’s wish. They discussed among themselves and prepared to surrender themselves to her cause. They all realised that whatever they did so far was only a drama.

Ask yourself whether you really want that your mother’s (God’s) desire be fulfilled through you?

OM JAI SAI SAI SAI RAM
    JAI SAI RAM

Offline jravi

• Blessings 2
    Enjoy your life at every moment
    « Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 03:30:12 AM »
  • Publish

• Once a fisherman was sitting near seashore, under the shadow of a tree smoking his beedi. Suddenly a rich businessman passing by approached him and enquired as to why he was sitting under a tree smoking and not working. To this the poor fisherman replied that he had caught enough fishes for the day.

Hearing this the rich man got angry and said: Why don’t you catch more fishes instead of sitting in shadow wasting your time?

Fisherman asked: What would I do by catching more fishes?

Businessman: You could catch more fishes, sell them and earn more money, and buy a bigger boat.

Fisherman: What would I do then?

Businessman: You could go fishing in deep waters and catch even more fishes and earn even more money.

Businessman: You could buy many boats and employ many people to work for you and earn even more money.

Businessman: You could become a rich businessman like me.

Businessman: You could then enjoy your life peacefully.

Fisherman: Isn’t that what I am doing now?

Understanding:

You don’t need to wait for tomorrow to be happy and enjoy your life. You don’t even need to be more rich, more powerful to enjoy life. LIFE is at this moment, enjoy it fully.As some great men have said “My riches consist not in extent of my possessions but in the fewness of my wants”.

OM JAI SAI SAI SAI RAM
    JAI SAI RAM

Offline jravi

• Blessings 2
    The story of a woodcutter
    « Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 04:16:59 AM »
  • Publish
  • Once upon a time, a very strong woodcutter asked for a job in a timber merchant and he got it. The pay was really good and so was the work condition. For those reasons, the woodcutter was determined to do his best.

His boss gave him an axe and showed him the area where he supposed to work.

The first day, the woodcutter brought 18 trees.

“Congratulations,” the boss said. “Go on that way!”

Very motivated by the boss words, the woodcutter tried harder the next day, but he could only bring 15 trees. The third day he tried even harder, but he could only bring 10 trees. Day after day he was bringing less and less trees.

“I must be losing my strength”, the woodcutter thought. He went to the boss and apologized, saying that he could not understand what was going on.

“When was the last time you sharpened your axe?” the boss asked.

“Sharpen? I had no time to sharpen my axe. I have been very busy trying to cut trees…”

Reflection:

Our lives are like that. We sometimes get so busy that we don’t take time to sharpen the “axe”. In today’s world, it seems that everyone is busier than ever, but less happy that ever.

Why is that? Could it be that we have forgotten how to stay “sharp”? There’s nothing wrong with activity and hard work. But we should not get so busy that we neglect the truly important things in life, like our personal life, taking time to get close to our Creator, giving more time for our family, taking time to read etc.

We all need time to relax, to think and meditate, to learn and grow. If we don’t take the time to sharpen the “axe”, we will become dull and lose our effectiveness.

OM JAI SAI SAI SAI RAM
    JAI SAI RAM

Offline jravi

• Blessings 2
    « Reply #11 on: June 06, 2013, 06:43:15 AM »
  • Publish

• Once in a dense forest lived four friends. The first was Mooshak, a mouse; the second Kak, a crow; the third Mantharak, a tortoise and the fourth Harini, a doe. The four friends used to meet every morning sharing jokes and discussing various matters.

One morning, Mooshak, Kak and Mantharak sat by the lake side waiting for Harini. She was late and they were getting worried.Mantharak said, “Dear Kak, it is very late now, almost noon. Why don’t you fly around and locate Harini. I fear she is not in some danger?”

Kok promptly took flight and while flying he spotted Harini trapped in a hunter’s net.
    “Oh dear Harini!”, exclaimed Kak, “Mantharak was right. Here you are trapped in the net while we waited for you.”
    “Dear Kak, do find some help and set me free,” cried Harini.

Kak flew back to his friends and told of Harini’s plight. After thinking for some time Mantharak said, “Well, Kak, why not take Mooshak with you? He will gnaw at the hunter’s net and surely Harini would be free to join us.” That is right”, agreed Mooshak but in a grim voice he said. “How can I reach such a long way off quickly before the hunter’s arrival?”

“Dont worry”, said Kak, “for I will carry you on my back.”

So Mooshak hopped on Kak’s back and Kak flew him to Harini. Mooshak promptly set to cutting the net and soon Harini was free. By that time Mantharak, the tortoise, had reached the spot crawling slowly. Just as the friends embraced each other joyfully they heard the hunter’s approaching footsteps. Harini hid behind a. bush, Mooshak jumped into a treehole and Kak flew up to a tree. Mantharak scrambled towards a rock to hide beneath it.

The hunter saw his damaged net and exclaimed, “Oh the doe has escaped and my net is torn too. Oh ! what is this—a fat turtle—better take this than the doe for at least I will not be hungry.”

Thus, the hunter picked up the slow-moving tortoise and put it in his bag. Now Mooshak, Kak and Harini were worried about setting Mantharak free. They quickly made a plan. .

At a distance, the hunter again spotted Harini chewing on lush green. He thought, “What luck ! A tortoise and the deer too for dinner tonight.” So saying he dropped his bag and went to catch Harini. But Harini was a fast runner and she led him far away.

Meanwhile, Mooshak cut open the hunter’s bag and Mantharak was set free. As soon as Mantharak was safely hidden beneath a rock and Mooshak was in the tree-hole, Kak flew to Harini.

Harini bound away fast and the hunter, tired as he was decided to return to his small catch, the tortoise.
    But was ! when he returned he found no tortoise and he had no doe for dinner either.

Understanding:

True friends are cherished treasures.

OM JAI SAI SAI SAI RAM
    JAI SAI RAM

Offline jravi

• Blessings 2
    Planting The Right seed.....
    « Reply #12 on: June 10, 2013, 03:38:38 AM »
  • Publish
  • A successful business man was growing old and knew it was time to choose a successor to take over the business.
    Instead of choosing one of his Directors or his children he decided to do something different. He called all the young executives in his company together.

He said, "It is time for me to step down and choose the next CEO. I have decided to choose one of you. "The young executives were shocked,but the boss continued. "I am going to give each one of you a seed today - one very special seed. I want you to plant the seed, water it,& come back here one year from today with what you have grown from the seed I have given you. I will then judge the plants that you bring, & the one I choose will be the next CEO."

One man, named Jim, was there that day & he, like the others, received a seed. He went home & excitedly, told his wife the story. She helped him get a pot, soil & compost & he planted the seed. Everyday, he would water it & watch to see if it had grown. After about three weeks, some of the other executives began to talk about their seeds &
    the plants that were beginning to grow.

Jim kept checking his seed, but nothing ever grew. Three weeks, four weeks, five weeks went by, still nothing. By now, others were talking about their plants, but Jim didn't have a plant & he felt like a failure. Six months went by -- still nothing in Jim's pot. He just knew he had killed his seed. Everyone else had trees & tall plants, but he had nothing. Jim didn't say anything to his colleagues, however. He just kept watering & fertilizing the soil - He so wanted
    the seed to grow.

A year finally went by & all the young executives of the company brought their plants to the CEO for inspection. Jim told his wife that he wasn't going to take an empty pot. But she asked him to be honest about what happened. Jim felt sick to his stomach, it was going to be the most embarrassing moment of his life, but he knew his wife was
    right. He took his empty pot to the board room. When Jim arrived, he was amazed at the variety of plants grown by the other executives.

They were beautiful -- in all shapes and sizes. Jim put his empty pot on the floor and many of his colleagues laughed, a few felt sorry for him!

When the CEO arrived, he surveyed the room & greeted his young executives. Jim just tried to hide in the back. "My, what great plants, trees, & flowers you have grown," said the CEO. "Today one of you will be appointed the next CEO!" All of a sudden, the CEO spotted Jim at the back of the room with his empty pot. He ordered the Financial Director to bring him to the front. Jim was terrified. He thought, "The CEO knows I'm a failure! Maybe he will have me fired!"

When Jim got to the front, the CEO asked him what had happened to his seed - Jim told him the story.

The CEO asked everyone to sit down except Jim. He looked at Jim, & then announced to the young executives, "Behold your next Chief

Executive Officer! His name is Jim!" Jim couldn't believe it. Jim couldn't even grow his seed.

"How could he be the new CEO?" the others said. Then the CEO said,"One year ago today, I gave everyone in this room a seed. I told you to take the seed, plant it, water it, and bring it back to me today. But I gave you all boiled seeds; they were dead - it was not possible for them to grow. All of you, except Jim, have brought me trees & plants & flowers.When you found that the seed would not grow, you substituted another seed for the one I gave you. Jim was the only one with the courage & honesty to bring me a pot with my seed in it. Therefore, he is the one who will be the new Chief Executive Officer!"

If you plant Honesty, you will reap Trust If you plant Goodness, you will reap Friends If you plant Humility, you will reap Greatness.If you plant Consideration, you will reap Perspective.If you plant Hard work, you will reap Success
    If you plant Forgiveness, you will reap Reconciliation So, be careful what you plant now; it will determine what you will reap later...

Understanding:

"Whatever You Give To Life, Life Gives You Back"

OM JAI SAI SAI SAI RAM
    JAI SAI RAM

Offline jravi

• Blessings 2
    The Day Dreamer
    « Reply #13 on: June 20, 2013, 01:40:18 AM »
  • Publish
  • In a small village there lived a lazy Brahmin Ramdas. He would do nothing but daydream whole day. Whenever he was hungry, he would out, beg for food, come back and laze.

One sunny afternoon, Ramdas was very hungry. With great difficulty, he got up and stretched his arms. Stepping out of his hut, he exclaimed, “What a beautiful day. How I wish I could go back to sleep. But then, I will have to go out and get my food.”

After bathing, Ramdas took out a bowl and out to beg.

“Knock! Knock! Is anybody at home?”

“Who is there?”

“Give me something to eat, good lady of the house and God will fulfill all your dreams!”

By begging the whole day he managed to get a pot full of milk. He hung this pot on the ceiling above, lay down on his bed and started day dreaming again.

“It is this pot of milk that is going to make me rich,” he thought. “I will churn the curds and make butter. From the butter, I will be able to make ghee. I really am clever!”

“I will then go to the market and sell the ghee ” his dream continued. “With the money I get, I will buy a pair of goats. They will have kids after six months. Soon I would have an entire herd of goats.”

“Then I will continue my business. I will barter the goats for cattle. I will buy some more cows and own a farmhouse. I will start a dairy farm. Once I earn a handsome amount I will employ people in my farm. I can also open a sweet shop in the middle of the village. I will make sweets out of the cow’s milk.” The Brahmin kept smiling to himself.

“How smart I am,” he thought. “The day I become a rich businessman I will build a big house right in the middle of the village. There will be a splendid garden and a swimming pool in front of the house. Early morning I will bathe in the blue waters of the pool. Seeing such a lavish lifestyle, the village headman will come to my house and plead for my hand for his beautiful daughter.” “After I get married,” Ramdas continued dreaming. “I’ll make her work throughout the day.

If she fights with me, I will jump up and give her a kick!”

Engrossed in his thoughts, he struck out with his foot, breaking the pot, and drenched himself with the milk.

He saw the broken pot and cried. He lost whatever he had because of his laziness and day dreaming.

Understanding:

To achieve your ambitions in life, it is best to work

OM JAI SAI SAI SAI RAM
    JAI SAI RAM

Facebook Comments