Join Sai Baba Announcement List

DOWNLOAD SAMARPAN - Nov 2018

Author Topic: How to use a Mantra  (Read 78626 times)

Offline pramanisa

• Blessings 0
Mantra Japa and Ajapa-Japa
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2007, 12:03:30 AM »
  • Publish

• A key to stabilizing the mind

Many students of meditation and spiritual life complain of a noisy mind, out of control senses, and emotional challenges. One of the most significant, single suggestions of the ancient sages is the use of mantra japa, or sacred word to focus the mind. No amount of intellectualizing will convince you of this. It must be practiced for the benefits to be experienced.

Constant remembrance of mantra

Regardless of what mantra you use, one of the most important principles is the practice of constant remembrance. By cultivating such a steady awareness many benefits come:
    •   One who practices mantra japa in this way will find that the challenges and stressors of daily life are not nearly as disturbing.
    •   The mantra gives a place of refuge, an oasis in which the mind can rest.
    •   It is not escape, denial, or repression, but a tranquil companion.
    •   The objects of the senses begin to lose their control over actions.
    •   The incoming streams of negative thoughts, emotions, and desires from the unconscious mind attenuate, or become weaker. 
    •   The mantra japa gradually becomes a best friend of the mind.
    •   Mantra japa leads one in the direction of deeper meditations, and subtler spiritual experiences.

Japa and Ajapa-Japa

Japa means repeating or remembering the mantra, and Ajapa-Japa means constant awareness. The letter A in front of the word Japa means without. Thus, Ajapa-Japa is the practice of Japa without the mental effort normally needed to repeat the mantra. In other words, it has begun to come naturally, turning into a constant awareness. The practice of constant remembrance evolves in stages:

•   At first, you intentionally repeat the syllables of the mantra internally, as if you are talking to yourself in your mind. You allow the inner sound to come at whatever speed feels comfortable to the mind. Sometimes it is very slow, as if the mind were wading through a vat of honey. At other times it is very fast, as if flying through the sky without restraint.
    •   With practice, the mantra japa is repeated automatically, like a song that you have heard many times, which just comes on its own. (Some practitioners consider this automatic repeating to be the meaning of Ajapa-Japa, though there is a subtler meaning, as described below.)
    •   Gradually, you merely remember the mantra with attention drawn to it. It is more like noticing what is already happening, rather than causing it to happen. It is somewhat like the attention stance of listening rather than speaking, though you might not literally hear the sound.
    •   In time, the feeling of the mantra is there, even when the sound or remembering of the syllables is not there. For example, sometimes people will say, "OM, Shanti, Shanti, Shanti," where the word Shanti means peace or tranquility. During the remembering of the word there may be two things--the word and the feeling of peace or tranquility. When the syllables fade away, the feeling may still be there; this is remembrance of the feeling of the mantra.
    •   As the practice evolves, there comes a pervasive awareness of the mantra, subtler than both the syllables and any surface level meaning or definition. This constant awareness is the meaning of Ajapa-Japa of the mantra.

Choice of mantras

There are many mantras, words, or compact prayers that can be used for Japa and Ajapa-Japa. Virtually all of the meditation traditions, spiritual lineages, and religions have mantra in one form or another.

•   Some words have specific meaning, while others are seed syllables having only feeling, not literal, word-for-word definitions.
    •   Some have religious significance, while others are completely non-sectarian.
    •   Some have very subtle effects on energy, while others are more like positive affirmations given to train the conscious mind.

Offline pramanisa

• Blessings 0
    Mantra, the Brain, and Words
    « Reply #16 on: June 12, 2007, 12:07:22 AM »
  • Publish
  • Effects of Mantra: For thousands of years, yogis have been teaching the value of mantra in stabilizing and clearing the mind, leading one to deeper spiritual awakening. Modern neuroscience is also beginning to discover the relationship between mental functioning and the way words are used.

Ways of using words or Mantra: Notice the explanation of increased blood flow (indicating increased activity) to the various parts of the brain, depending on whether one is hearing, seeing, speaking, or thinking of words. Regarding thinking about words, the text points out that "thinking about words engages the limbic association area responsible for thought, learning, perception, and emotion."

Cultivating higher functioning: This higher functioning (buddhi) is intentionally cultivated by yogis through the practices of mantra, meditation, and contemplation. Not only do the yogis use mantra (i.e., words), but often recommend focusing the attention on this frontal part of the brain as well, placing attention in the ajna chakra, the center accessed through the space between the eyebrows.

"Remembering" the Mantra: In Yoga Meditation science, different means of using mantra are prescribed. The silent, inner remembering way of using mantra use considered a higher, more effective form than hearing, reading, or speaking the mantra. Many benefits come from the proper use of mantra, including dealing with ways of thinking, ability to learn, ways of perceiving, and positive use of emotions  Collectively, these benefits set the stage for the deeper practices of meditation, contemplation, and prayer.

Mantra is universal: In reflecting on the relationship between mantra and brain physiology, it is most important to remember that mantra is not a practice solely used by the Eastern traditions. The use of mantra, word, compact prayer, or affirmation is recommended by virtually all religions and meditative traditions, although they might describe or use them in different ways.

Varieties of Mantras:
    There are many mantras, of which a few are described in this website. These are Soham, OM, and Maranatha. Each of these are beneficial in the ways described above.

Offline jyothikakr

• Blessings 0
    • i am a teacher and i have a daughter diya 6th std
    Re: How to use a Mantra
    « Reply #17 on: July 14, 2009, 12:49:22 AM »
  • Publish
  • Can anyone tell me can ladies apply sai vibbhuti and recite naam jaapa during those 7 days of a month , as said that they are not supposed to go to the temple  or light the diya at home .

Offline friend_amrita

• Blessings 0
    « Reply #18 on: August 25, 2010, 06:50:55 AM »
  • Publish
  • PLS TELL ME MANTRA/ IN FORM OF NAME OF GOD, HAVE TO CHANT SLIENTLY IN MIND OR LOUDLY WITH MALA IS BENEFITIAL ...PLS GUIDE ME

Offline l3osh4ka

• Blessings 0
    « Reply #19 on: March 18, 2012, 07:57:20 AM »
  • Publish
  • Hi my name is Ukasha and live in Sweden, few weeks ago I
          started chanting a mantra (mul/mool mantra) and there are two
          more mantras that I would like to chant, adi shakti &
          Siri mantra. So my question was, is it possible to chant
          three mantras at the same time, like chanting mool mantra in
          the morning and then Siri mantra in the evening and so on, or
          one after each, doing mool mantra for 20min and then adi
          shakti mantra for another 20min....and also if you could say
          something about the mantras and the best way to use them thx

Offline marioban29

• Blessings 6
    « Reply #20 on: July 25, 2012, 04:32:49 PM »
  • Publish
  • OM SIDDHA SANKALPAYA NAMAH
    OM SIDDHA SANKALPAYA NAMAH
    Dear Parriji
    (Plz help me to get back my love...plz sai baba)
    I hope your love will come back soon.
    I lost my love Mandy Rösler in 2001, because of my own fault.
    Please, pray for me too

Sorry to all that I have no advice now

Offline marioban29

• Blessings 6
    « Reply #21 on: July 28, 2012, 02:29:40 AM »
  • Publish
  • "Karacharana Krn Itam Vaakkaayajam Karmajam Vaa,
    Shravananayanajam Vaa Maanasam Vaaparaadham,
    Vihitamavihitam Vaa Sarvametatkshamasva,
    Jaya Jaya Karunaabdhe Shriimahaadeva Shambho"

Offline Triemn

• Blessings 0
    « Reply #22 on: June 28, 2022, 05:17:55 AM »
  • Publish
  • I still want to display the clock somewhere on the main index page of my forum. Can you please suggest where I might be able to do that?

For instance, can I do it in the description for one of the forums? And can you please describe how to do it?

...ken...



Facebook Comments