Join Sai Baba Announcement List

DOWNLOAD SAMARPAN - Nov 2018

Author Topic: YOGIRAJ VASUDEVANANDA SARASWATI (A Biography) By:- Shri S. N. Huddar  (Read 5900 times)

Offline JR

• Blessings 35
  • सांई की मीरा
    • Sai Baba
(Continued from September  1974)

A Singer Becomes a Devotee

Saraswatibai renouncing her profession came to Vadi and lived with devotion. She was a good singer. At the advice of Dikshit Swami, she daily sang 'Karuna Tripadi' composed by Swami Maharaj to lesson the wrath of Shri Datta. Once she sang in the presence of Swarai Maharaj. Seeing her devotion Swamiji composed a pad, for  her and gave some instructions for meditation.

Devotees desired to have Paduka of Swami Maharaj for adoration at the time of Bhajan etc. On the request of Narsinha Saraswati, Swamiji wore wooden Paduka and gave them to them. When Narsinha Saraswati went to Amarpur (Aurvad), these Padukas were taken there in Amareshwar Math.
Adesh For Going to Rameshwar On Margashirsh Vad 7, Swamiji came to bow to Shri Datta Paduka. When he got Samadhi he was given Adesh to go to Rameshwar. After alms in the afternoon he came to Datta paduka and told people that he had an adesh to go out of Vadi. The news spread like wind and ail people ran to see and take Prasad from him.

He advised, "Serve Datta with devotion. Live united and sing Bhajan of 'Digambara Digambara' you will be blessed "

He then started for sangam and on the way one married woman waved 'arati' to him. All requested swami Maharaj to return from Rameshwar for his children at Vadi. Swamiji said, "My returning depends on your sincere devotion, "Swamiji crossed the river and went to the other side. All shed tears at his departure. At night he halted at Kurundwad ghat. 200 to 300 persons accompanied him. The news spread in the city. The chief of kurundwad and others came to have Swamiji's darshan even in the night.

Kurundwad

Swami Maharaj stayed at the Datta mandir on the river bank. When at Vadi, Balasaheb Kurundwadkar would come for his Darshan daily. When Swamiji reached Datta Mandir, Balasaheb had been to Miraj A camel messenger was sent to him. He soon returned and took darshan of Swami Maharaj on the ghat. He requested him for alms the next day. All men of Kurundwad and Wadi were also invited Balasaheb, Dajisaheb and Bhausaheb these three brothers cooked separately and offered alms to swami Maharaj. Shrimant and Swami Maharaj took a round in the row of invitees sitting for dinner. After alms, Swamiji proceeded further, took darshan of Shri Vishnu, and Datta and went to Shrimant's residence on his request. Swamiji said, "So far I had been to many states; but it is my rule not to go to the palace and not to accept Royal alms. But today Balasaheb with his devotion has urged me to break this rule." Hearing this Balasaheb was much moved. Swamiji then bowed to Devi and went out of the city. Rajasaheb offered sashtang dandwat and prayed Swami Maharaj to continue his kindness. Swamiji said "Protect cows and Brahmins which is the duty of the Raja's and serve Ganesh devotedly. You will have Blessings."
Swamiji then stayed at the garden of Shri Datta at Kurundwad.    Next  day he went to  Tarwad  and stayed at Mukteshwar mandir and then to Vithal mandir at Sadalge.   Bhajan was being sung there.
Hearing this Abhang sung melodiously, swamiji got samadhi, which lasted for 3 hours. When he awoke prasad was distributed and Swamiji himself gave a cocoanut and Prasad to the singer of the Abhang. Swamiji said, ''Greatness of sant Tukaram is realised while hearing such Abhangas." He then went to Veda Ganga. Swamiji had started explaining 'Shatshloki' at Vadi, He completed it here and asked Vadi people who had accompanied him so far to return to Vadi.

Wherever Swami Maharaj went, he composed stotras in praise of the local deity. He reached Sankeshwar on the Hiranyakeshi river where there is a Math of Acharya. After bath he stayed in the garden of Kalkundrikar. From Shringpur he, came to Kangeri, the place of Chidambar Dikshit known from the Peshwa period.

Chidambar Dikshit was known as Shri Shanker incarnated Hundreds of persons were paid daily by him. He could give any amount anytime from his brass lota. He performed many sacrifices at Gurlhosur. He gave prasad of sacrifice to Bajirao II, the last peshwa, who gave it to his dependent, the result being his powers were taken over by him. Swami Maharaj composed Sanskrit and Prakrit stotras on Chidambar Dikshit.

Ramcandra Kamat of Goa, asked Swamiji some easy means to cherish devotion. Swamiji said, "Namsmaran (recitation of God's name) is the only means. He then reached Gurlhosur and stayed at Chidambar Math for 9-10 days. He took darshan of Yallamma (Renukamata) on a hill nearby and prayed that Diety
Then he passed by Ghatprabha and Vishwamitri rivers and reached Hampi on Tungabhadra at Vidyaranya Swami Math. Here is a grand Virupax mandir and many big gopurs. Vidyananda was the founder of Vijayanagar Rajya. Swamiji took bath, darshan, prayed at Rishyamuk Parwat, Pampasarowar, Kishkindha and reached Sheshachal mountains. He took darshan of Kartik Swami and prayed him. He wrote 'Kumar Shiksha' here.

Darshan of Venkatesh

Swami Maharaj proceeded to Bhagava Kshtra, shrirang, Shri Shailya Mallikarjuna and came to Venkatgiri. Here none can touch the murti. But God had told the priest in dream. The priest searched for Swamiji and took him to Venkatesh for darshan and touch. From-here he went to Kalahasti, Shivakanchi, Vishnukanchi, Pakshi Tirth etc.

On Chaitra Purnima he had Kshour on Pinakini river. There was very little water in the river; but next day when Swamiji stepped in the river, the water increased upto his chest and he could have dips. He immediately composed a poem in praise of Pinakini river.

On the next day he reached Chidambar and prayed Chidambareshwar. There lived one Sundershastri who was very proud of his knowledge of Sanskrit. Swamiji stayed with the shastri. Swamiji said casually, "If there is vanity of learning, devotion cannot be there. If there is no devotion, God's blessing cannot be had, and without blessing there is no salvation. So you read Gurucharitra for Datta's blessings. Do not waste time." Hence Sundershastri began to read Marathi Gurucharitra and his vanity disappeared.

Roumour About Samadhi of Swami Maharaj

Some one spread the news that Swamiji had taken Samadhi. When this news reached Vadi some devotees went out to test its reality. They first went to Rameshwar and then came to Tanjawar. Swamiji knew this by meditation, started for Chidambar and reached Mayavaram Bazar, where he met these persons of Vadi.
Swamiji told them not to believe in gossips. The time of Samadhi of this mortal body would be known to them beforehand, He bathed in Kaveri, took alms, and asked the persons of Vadi to return home. He then came to Tanjawar on Jesth Shudhaj Ekadashi. After two days he started for Rameshwar. On the way he passed by Shwetaranya, Kumbhakonam, Madura, Meenakshi etc. He stayed at Rameshwar for a day. Tanjawar persons came here and insisted Swami Maharaj to observe chaturmas at Tanjawar.
He  started  from   Rameshwar  on  Ashadh   Shudha   2,  and travelled 250 miles in 10-20 days and reached Tanjawar on Ashadh i Shudha  14.    He Stayed at Vimlamba  Devi's place.   Kaveri river flows nearby on  which there is the Sandhya  Math     The river Kaverj is called 'Venu' at this place.

CHATURMAS - 18     SHAKA 1829   (1907 A. D.) TANJAWAR

Seeing Swamiji's sound knowledge and staunch following of Shastra rules, people respected him as God.    Swamiji had written 'Shri Guru Charitra' as per Datta's adesh at Brahmavarta. Swami Maharaj was here given an adesh to write 'Churnika' i. e. prose summary of the Samhita.   Swamiji wrote it here.
One bright looking Digambar saint came to Swamiji during night. He had discussion with him and in the morning he went away. A Brahmin woman suffering from Asthama for several years came here, Gandabua gave her teerth of Swamiji's feet. After taking that teerth, she had profuse vomiting and she gradually recovered.

Shringeri Acharya's Felicitations.

Swamiji wrote Sanskrit criticism of 'Krishna Lahari'. After Bhadrapad Purnima Swamiji left Tanjawar. On his way he saw Satya Mangal, Jambakeshwar, Kotilinga and Shrirang on Kaveri.
Shri Shankarachaiya of Shringeri was here. When Swamiji bowed to the Achrya, he said, "I wished to see you since long. God has fulfilled this desire to day." Swamiji prayed Acharya and Shardamba.
Acharya also appreciated Swamiji by composing a Stotra. After alms, Acharya addressed the people gathered there as follows:- "Dear Disciples, you have not recognised this sanyasi, who has come here today. Shri Datta Prabhu himself has taken birth due to pious behaviour of parents. He is preaching religion just as the first Shankaracharya. He himself is behaving as per Shastra rules strictly and he has induced several persons to follow religion. He has travelled all over Bharat from Himalaya to Seta Bandh on feet and by action, devotion, and knowledge, he has made the lives of several persons full of bliss. I pray God to give him long life to do the work of religion incessantly." Swami Maharaj said, "I am not worthy for all what your holiness has said to me; but it is evident that the glory of this Achrya Peeth is due to your holyself."

Wound in the Nose Cured.

Swamiji came to Satya mangal. Shri Datta asked him to travel on the Bank of Kaveri. Swamiji came to the sangam of Bhawani and Kaveri. He bowed to God and did Kartik Kshour and stayed for 15-20 days. Lakshman Shastri of Amraoti (Dr. Gantur) came to Swaraiji and requested for the cure of his son and daughter who had wounds on their nostrils. Swamiji gave him Vakeri Bhate (herb) and asked him to rub on a stone and put the drops in their nostrils. After doing this for some days, the son and daughter were cured.

From Bhavani Swamiji went to Karur on the bank of Kaveri, the Samadhi place of Brahmendra Swami. He bowed to the samadhi place and composed a stotra. Shringeri Shankaracharya had also composed a stotra and narrated his life in his books,

'Brahma sutra  vritti' and  'Yogasudhakar'.   Swami Maharaj then came to Tanjawar and observed  Datta Jayanti at Awadhutrao's residence.

Krishnamata's Assurance.

From here Swamiji went to Amraoti to see Laxman Shastri' son and daughter and arranged to get 'Vakeri Bhate' for him Via Chidamber he came to Tripur, Kalhasti, Shrishailya giri etc, Thence he travelled by seashore and came to a town on the Krishna river on Falguna Shuddha 14. He inquired about a place to live; but nobody helped him. He then halted under a tree on the bank of the Krishna. He had to arrange for next day 'Kshour'. He prayed the Krishna mata, "O, mother, I have great respect for you, then should you also not care for me? If Kshour is not made tomorrow, I shall not do Kshour hereafter in my life. I shall give up Dand and roam anywhere. There is no reason to obey you from today". "Saying so, he lay down. In his dream krishna mata said, "Kshour will be arranged tomorrow, I am really proud of you”. Swamiji prayed Krishna mata and she disappeared.

Krishna mata appeared in fierce form before some persons of the town and told them, 'O you wicked, a great Sanyasi came to your town and you did not give him place for living. Consequently you will have to face calamities You surrender to him, arrange for his Kshour tomorrow and have his blessings".
The persons were frightened. In the morning they came to Krishna mata's bank, searched for the Swami Maharaj and when they met him all bowed to him humbly and begged his pardon for their previous day's negligence. Swamiji went into the town and had Kshour as per Shastra rules. He stayed there for 15 days. Thence he went to Kotilinga in Monglai. Thence he came to Muktyala i. e Muktishwarpur in Nandigarh Taluka, District Krishna in Madras state.

{to be continued)
सबका मालिक एक - Sabka Malik Ek

Sai Baba | प्यारे से सांई बाबा कि सुन्दर सी वेबसाईट : http://www.shirdi-sai-baba.com
Spiritual India | आध्य़ात्मिक भारत : http://www.spiritualindia.org
Send Sai Baba eCard and Photos: http://gallery.spiritualindia.org
Listen Sai Baba Bhajan: http://gallery.spiritualindia.org/audio/
Spirituality: http://www.spiritualindia.org/wiki

Facebook Comments