Join Sai Baba Announcement List

DOWNLOAD SAMARPAN - Nov 2018

Author Topic: Guru is necessary for a man  (Read 129509 times)

Offline SS91

• Members
  • Blessings 37
  • OM SHRI SAI NATHAYA NAMAHA
    • Sai Baba
Re: Guru is necessary for a man
« Reply #105 on: December 15, 2008, 02:36:50 PM »
  • Publish
  • The Sages said: O Suta, the wise one, who has acquired thorough mastery over the Nigamas &

Agamas please, narrate to us the real nature or Being of the Guru,

which has the power to remove all impurities. (2)

A Person, who has controlled his mind, can achieve any success in his life. How far you are trying to control your mind?
    The mind that judges not others ever remains tension-free.
    http://lh5.ggpht.com/_lOgd1uS-wX0/TCOlFNMxIBI/AAAAAAAAE88/GpxUgxnwioE/why_fear_when_i_am_here.jpg

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #106 on: December 17, 2008, 12:43:42 PM »
  • Publish
  • By hearing which, man becomes free from all pains and by treading which path the sages have

attained the state of Omniscience, by attaining which man comes never again to the round of

birth & death; please narrate that to us now, which is the Supreme Truth. (3, 4)

A Person, who has controlled his mind, can achieve any success in his life. How far you are trying to control your mind?
    http://lh5.ggpht.com/_lOgd1uS-wX0/TCOlFNMxIBI/AAAAAAAAE88/GpxUgxnwioE/why_fear_when_i_am_here.jpg

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #107 on: December 17, 2008, 12:44:25 PM »
  • Publish
  • O dear Suta, by your grace, we desire to hear from you the Supreme Truth & particularly the GuruGita,

which is the essence of the Truth. (5)

OM SAI RAM.

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #108 on: December 17, 2008, 12:45:15 PM »
  • Publish
  • Thus repeatedly prayed to by the rishis, Suta pleased by this request, spoke these divine words. (6)

Suta said, O Rishis, hear with rapt faith & attention.

I shall now narrate to you the GuruGita which destroy the cycle of rebirth & protects like a mother. (7)

Offline Dipika

• Blessings 9
    Guru...
    « Reply #109 on: December 18, 2008, 08:18:06 AM »
  • Publish
  • Upanishad
    The syllable gu means shadows
    The syllable ru, he who disperses them,
    Because of the power to disperse darkness
    the guru is thus named.
    Advayataraka Upanishad 14--18, verse 5)

Bhagavad Gita, c4 s34
    Acquire the transcendental knowledge from a Self-realized master by humble reverence, by sincere inquiry, and by service. The wise ones who have realized the Truth will impart the Knowledge to you.

Kula-Arnava-Tantra (XIII.106ff.)
    O Devi, there are many gurus on earth who give other than the Self; but hard to find a in all the worlds is the guru who reveals the Self.
    Many are the gurus who rob the disciple of his wealth, but rare is the guru who remove the disciple's afflictions
    He is the [true] guru by whose very contact there flows the supreme Bliss. The intelligent man should choose such a one as his guru and none other
    Brahmanda Purana
    Guru is Shiva sans his three eyes,
    Vishnu sans his four arms
    Brahma sans his four heads.
    He is parama Shiva himself in human form
    Kabir
    Guru and God both appear before me. To whom should I prostrate?
    I bow before Guru who introduced God to me.
    Brahmanand
    It's my great fortune that I found Satguru, all my doubts are removed.
    I bow before Guru. Guru's glory is greater than God's.

ALLAH MALIK!

Sai baba let your holy lotus feet be our sole refuge.OMSAIRAM
    साईं बाबा अपने पवित्र चरणकमल ही हमारी एकमात्र शरण रहने दो.ॐ साईं राम

Dipika Duggal

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #110 on: January 20, 2009, 06:13:53 AM »
  • Publish
  • Guru-BhaktiHere is what Swami Chidananda says aboutGuru-bhakti:God is an unknown entity. We have not seenGod. We have not touched, nor tasted, norsmelt Him. We’ve only heard about Him.We can only infer Him. We can onlyimagine Him.But then, if we are able to see in a humanindividual manifestations of holiness, ofsanctity, of purity, of sublimity, of nobility,of goodness, of loftiness of conduct,character, nature, sentiment, thought, feelingand action, if we see something out of theordinarysomethingextraordinary,something special, a manifestation of thosequalities that we have been taught toassociate only with God then we say: “Ifsuch a human being can exist, God mustexist. Otherwise, from whence do thesequalities come which we do not normallysee in anyone?”

When we see this divinity,this holiness, this sanctity, we begin torealise:“Yes, God I have not seen, butgodliness I have seen. All the qualitiesattributed to God by the scriptures, bysaints and sages, in all religiouscontexts those I see in an unusualmeasure, in an extraordinary measure,in this being. Because I have seen thisbeing and this being is known to me, Iam assured that God is. I know theremust be a God.”And in the Vedic tradition the guru is such abeing. The guru becomes for us a visibleGod. God reveals Himself through the guru.

The guru thus becomes the linking factor, achannel for putting the wandering, lostindividual Soul, back into contact with itssource, God, the Universal Soul. And just asthe guru is a channel for the individual soulto re-link itself with God, even so, if we cancreate a channel between ourselves and ourguru, then that channel will become theeffecting means of receiving from the guruguru-kripa, all that the guru is theknowledge of the guru, the sanctity of theguru, the purity of the guru, the spiritualityof the guru.And that channel is called guru-bhakti. Thatis why the Svetasvatara Upanishad states:“If you have supreme devotion to Godand the same kind of devotion to yourguru, then to you, the essence, thesubtle truths of the scriptures becomerevealed.”Thus it is that through guru-bhakti theseeker, the disciple, creates an effective link,a connection, a channel which enables theguru to share with the disciple what the guruhas been endowed with from God.So, we have to provide a way for the guru togive what he wishes to give. And that isthrough guru-bhakti, devotion, where thereis no place for the ego. If the thought comes,“I have got great guru-bhakti,” then finished,that bhakti becomes cancelled, it is nullified.

You yourself must become the veryembodiment of that love, that devotion.There should be no awareness of somebeing, some person having that quality ofdevotion. Then it becomes a subtle spiritualego. The very purpose of the existence ofthe guru is to remove the separatist I-consciousness, the consciousness of being aseparate being or entity, and if guru-bhaktibecomes a means of boosting and sustainingthat ego, egoism, then it loses its purposeand becomes self-defeating.Thus true guru-bhakti is egoless, humble.The gopis of Vrindavan did not know thatthey were great devotees of Krishna. Theysaid:“All we know is that He is the one objectto be adored. We don’t know anythingelse. We cannot do anything but adoreHim. We are that adoration. It is our veryself.

We are not different from that. Takeit away from us and we will die, we willcease to exist.”They were filled with that love, not withegoistical awareness of that love.The greater the growth of devotion and thegreater the reverence for the guru, thegreater is the inflow of the guru’s grace. Thegreater the desire to carry out the ideals andprinciples of the guru in life and the greaterthe keen eagerness and firm determination tocarry out the instructions of the gurufaithfully, meticulously, day after day, inone’s daily activities and life, the greater isthe inflow of the guru’s grace. Rememberthat “Obedience is better than reverence

”:A disciple was asked to take the guru’scattle to pasture. He had to be with thecattle all day. The guru did not ask hiswife to prepare any lunch for him, andhe did not have permission to drink milkfrom the cows. So the whole day hewent hungry, only quenching his thirstwith water. Days, months, years passedthis way.This is the type of guru-bhakti the Hinduscriptures talk about. It is not meresentiment. It is true guru-bhakti which hasimmense strength and sattvic (pure, higher)determination, behind it. Guru-bhakti isdivine power, it is divine force, not merelysillyhumansentiment,notmerelyemotion.

Vivekananda came down heavilyuponmeresentimentandemotion.Sai Baba of Shirdi as a Sufi MasterSai Baba is an incredible enigma. Baba, whosome devotees call the CEO among PerfectMasters – never advocated any generalspiritual rules. This was in the largerinterests of catering to humanity at large i.e.,to devotees at different stages of evolution.

Baba had a rich repertoire of spiritual skill-sets and was an epitome of compassion.The spiritual remedy he prescribes to hisdevotees in Shri Sai Satcharita (the HolyBook of Sai devotees), be it performing afull weeks recitation of Gods name, orreading of a holy book, or feeding an animaletc. is tailored to the spiritual needs of theindividual devotees and is absolutelycontext-specific.

Furthermore, while Baba himself was a non-vegetarian, a Yogi and celibate, yet there isno general rule arising from his own life.For example, for some he recommendedcelibacy, while for others the life of ahouseholder. Baba did not believe in fastingat all.

Loving DevotionBaba’s path was a simple one free of anyrituals that required love and devotion tohim. This could be expressed throughreading, hearing or singing about his Leelas– his divine stories written in Shri SaiSatcharita.

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #111 on: January 20, 2009, 06:53:26 AM »
  • Publish
  • Guru Bhakti
    God is an unknown entity. God is an unseen entity. However, with absolutely irrefutable logic, rational argument and reason, Vedanta establishes the fact of God. And through analysis we can infer, “Yes, there must be a God; it stands to reason. It is irrational to suppose that there cannot be such a thing as God. There must be.” And scriptures also tell us that He is a Being who is sacred, who is holy, all-pure, noble and sublime. But, nevertheless, God is still for us only a concept of the mind. We have not seen God. We have not touched, nor tasted, nor smelt Him. We’ve only heard about Him. We can only infer Him. We can only imagine Him.

But then, if we are able to see in a human individual manifestations of holiness, of sanctity, of purity, of sublimity, of nobility, of goodness, of loftiness of conduct, character, nature, sentiment, thought, feeling and action, if we see something out of the ordinary something extraordinary, something special, a manifestation of those qualities that we have been taught to associate only with God then we say: “If such a human being can exist, God must exist. Otherwise, from whence do these qualities come which we do not normally see in anyone?” When we see this divinity, this holiness, this sanctity, we begin to realise: “Yes, God I have not seen, but godliness I have seen.

All the qualities attributed to God by the scriptures, by saints and sages, in all religious contexts those I see in an unusual measure, in an extraordinary measure, in this being. Because I have seen this being and this being is known to me, I am assured that God is. I know there must be a God.” And in the Vedic tradition the guru is such a being. The guru becomes for us pratyaksha devaa, visible God. God reveals Himself through the guru.

The guru thus becomes the linking factor, a channel for putting the wandering, lost jivatma, the individual Soul, back into contact with its source, God, the Universal Soul. And just as the guru is a channel for the jivatma to re-link itself with the paramatma, even so, if we can create a channel between ourselves and our guru, then that channel will become the effecting means of receiving from the guru guru-kripa, all that the guru is, the knowledge of the guru, the sanctity of the guru, the purity of the guru, the spirituality of the guru.

And that channel is called guru-bhakti. That is why the significant verse in the Svetasvatara Upanishad: “yasya deve para bhaktih yatha deve tatha gurau, tasyaite kathita hyarthah prakasante mahatmanah.” If you have supreme devotion to God and the same kind of devotion to your guru, then to you, the essence, the subtle truths of the scriptures become revealed.” Thus it is that through guru-bhakti the sadhaka, the seeker, the disciple, creates an effective link, a connection, a channel, which enables the guru to share with the disciple what the guru has been endowed with from God.

So, we have to provide a way for the guru to give what he wishes to give. And that is through guru-bhakti, devotion, where there is no place for the ego. If the thought comes, “I have got great guru-bhakti,” then finished, that bhakti becomes cancelled, it is nullified. You yourself must become the very embodiment of that love, that devotion. There should be no awareness of some being, some person having that quality of devotion. Then it becomes a subtle spiritual ego. The very purpose of the existence of the guru is to remove the separatist I-consciousness, the conscious¬ness of being a separate being or entity, and if guru-bhakti becomes a means of boosting and sustaining that abhimana (ego), ahamkara (egoism), then it loses its purpose and becomes self-defeating.

Thus true guru-bhakti is egoless, nirabhimana (without ego), vinamra (humble). Sabari was bhaktisvarupa. She had great bhakti for Rama, but she was not conscious that she was a great devotee of Rama. Neither was Hanuman conscious that he was a great bhakta of Rama. It was his very nature. He was an embodiment of devotion for Rama. The gopis of Vrindavan did not know that they were great devotees of Krishna. They said: “All we know is that He is the one object to be adored. We don’t know anything else. We cannot do anything but adore Him. We are that adoration. It is our very self. We are not different from that. Take it away from us and we will die, we will cease to exist.” They were filled with that love, not with egoistical awareness of that love.

The greater the growth of devotion and the greater the reverence for the guru, the greater is the inflow of the guru's grace. The greater the desire to carry out the ideals and principles of the guru in life and the greater the keen eagerness and firm determination to carry out the instructions of the guru faithfully, meticulously, day after day, in one’s daily activities and life, the greater is the inflow of the guru’s grace. Gurudev was never tired of again and again reiterating: “Obedience is better than reverence.” And Vivekananda came down heavily upon mere sentiment and emotion. He said that this sentiment has ruined us. We have become backboneless; we lack a sense of purpose.

And what have the Upanishads put before us to illustrate true devotion? One disciple came to his guru as a young boy and the guru told him that it was his duty to collect firewood daily for the havan. He went on doing it without questioning. He was not allowed to cut green trees; and so the whole day, with great difficulty, he searched for and cut dry wood, put it on his head and returned only in the evening. The guru never gave him any spiritual instructions or teachings. Years went by. The disciple forgot time, until one day he realised he had become old, his hair and beard had become silver-white. Suddenly he burst into tears: “What is my fate? My whole life has passed away and the guru has not yet given me brahma-jnana.” He had become old. He had served his guru without question ever since he was a young boy. That was his devotion.

Another disciple was asked to take the guru ‘s cattle to pasture. He had to be with the cattle all day. The guru did not ask his wife to prepare any lunch for him, and he did not have permission to drink milk from the cows. So the whole day he went hungry, only quenching his thirst with water. Days, months, years passed this way.

And one disciple was asked to irrigate the guru ‘s fields. He had to let the water into the fields and make sure that it did not leak out. After working the whole day, one evening he discovered a leak in one of the earthen walls. He tried to plug it with some clay. It kept leaking. He tried all methods to repair it, and finally not knowing what else to do, he decided to plug it with his own body. So he lay down, curled himself into a ball and stopped the leak. After nightfall, when he had not returned, the guru became anxious and so with several of his disciples went searching for him. Finally they found him in his curled up position stopping the leak.

That was the type of guru-bhakti they had. It was not mere sentiment. It was true guru-bhakti. It had iron behind it. It had immense strength behind it. It had determination, sattvic determination, behind it. These are a few towering examples of guru-bhakti in our scriptures. There are many others. They come from all traditions. They are all sanketa matra (indicators) of the stuff that guru-bhakti is made of. It is divine power, it is divine force, not merely silly human sentiment, not merely emotion.

When such guru-bhakti is there towards the guru, such obedience, such great desire to carry out his behest, biddings and teachings, then illumination automatically descends from the guru to the disciple. The illumination in which the guru is established comes like a spark flying from one end of an exposed wire to another. For when the weeping old disciple was taken by the guru’s wife to the guru and explained why he was weeping, the guru replied:
    “What! What do you mean, you have no illumination!” Immediately, the disciple became illumined. Why? Because of his total self-effacement, total dedication, his un¬questioning carrying out of the behest of the guru, because of the exemplary type of devotion that filled his heart: “I have come to a guru. I must serve him. This is my greatest good fortune.”

Thus the most effective way of deriving maximum benefit from the guru is to create a channel of lofty, sublime devotion to the guru, heroic guru-bhakti. And it is that heroic guru-bhakti where there is the greatest love and reverence combined with the highest obedience, the highest desire to please the guru by carrying out his instructions, that becomes the great channel for the inflow of guru-kripa. In that way, spiritual vision dawns and you "see" Reality, you “behold” Reality.

That is the tradition. That is the true inner dynamics of the guru sishya relationship through which the disciple is able to benefit in a maximum measure from the guru. Thus we have known from our scriptures, from our ancient bhaktas, from the narratives of ancient disciples, their relationship to their gurus. Thus we have learnt this great secret. May we all be benefited.

May the grace of all the brahma-vidya-gurus, from ancient times up to the present, be upon you. May you ponder deeply, reflect deeply, upon what an ideal disciple should be, what constitutes real discipleship, and become benefited thereby.

Courtesy:Swami Chidananda

« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 08:29:54 PM by subhasrini »

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #112 on: February 03, 2009, 06:32:51 PM »
  • Publish
  • Faith in your Guru

Faith is the state of mind towards the all supreme. It is a devotional surrender for the protection and grace of the lord. Sri Sai Baba preferred the sadhanas involving faith and bhakti. He advocated worship of several things -images, coins, pictures, padukas etc. He has no mean place for the guru, the giver of Ghana and the solidifier of faith. The path to the goal is rugged, and Sri Sai Baba warns us that it is infested with hungry wolves and tigers and with yawning pits to negotiate and stresses the need for a guide or guru. In brief, the attainment of gnana is largely upon our Guru.

Trust in the guru fully and wholeheartedly. Leave off all doubts that is the only sadhana. Guru is God. Guru is everything. He is brother, father, well-wisher, relative and true friend. Seeing all as Guru is the highest state and he who feels him in every creature verily becomes Myself. To aspirants for gnana, the mere acquisition of a Guru alone can never suffice. Lucky indeed must be he that finds the proper guru at whose feet he is privileged to sit and learn. Hindus, before they start on any of their prayers, first invoke their Gurus to lead them aright and to be acceptable to their Gods.

A subjugation of the mind and will and absolute faith in the guru are the essentials of a true Bhakta. Sri Sai Baba Says: "Stick to your own Guru with unabated faith whatever the merits of the other gurus. We must not give up our attachment to our own Guru but even more firmly rest in Him and Him alone."
    You may have an idea of what constitutes Bhakti and how every one of us old and young, men and women, rich and poor strong and disabled, cultured and uncultured- can follow the path of devotion to attain salvation. To be deeply devoted to God, we should have an idea in the first place. God is everywhere. There is no place where He is not. Everything rests in Him; He resides in the heart of every being. He is in the king, in the beggar, in the animal, in the minutest worm, in plants and also in inanimate objects. That is why in the Gita the Lord said, "He who sees me everywhere and seeth everything in me, of him I will never lose hold and he shall never lose hold of me.

" Holiness Guru Swami Kesavaiahji chosen apostle of Sri Shirdi Sai Baba deprecated the practice of being lured by those who exhibit occult powers, but He always insisted in his articles that infinite faith in the Guru would ultimately give satisfaction and bliss to those who respect tradition and religion. Swamiji stresses on saying all saints, Guru's are one. Service to suffering humanity is Baba's Dharma. He taught catholicity of religion. Everyone should serve and help others to his capacity. It is only the good we do, that accompanies our souls.

Hatred and jealousy should be forbidden. Honesty and truthfulness are necessary. God recedes from those who are dishonest and untruthful. Character and truth are essential. Truth and righteousness alone save us. The ignorant youth is running away from religious and moral discipline because he gets no religious education either at home or at school to mould his character. Now-a-days science and politics are considered the 'Be all and end all' of man's life. The responsibility to teach their children, the devotion to God reverence to one's Guru, obedience to their elders, and to make them speak truth always is on the mothers.' May Sri Sai Baba guide us all in the path of devotion and bless us!

(Contributed by Arun R Nukala)

SaiVichaar -FEB/2009

Offline godrealized

• Blessings 1
    « Reply #113 on: March 11, 2009, 09:28:29 AM »
  • Publish
  • Guidance of a Guru is primarily necessitated for all human beings as one who has already reached the spiritual goal of life can guide one to its logical end.

Gaining Enlightenment is the end goal of human life. Whether we travel the spiritual path now... is the sole prerogative of every individual human being. Who knows what we shall be in the next manifestation... why not travel the spiritual path now!

For an ordinary mortal... a commoner, Understanding the gist of Gita... the most sacred scripture of Hinduism existing on Mother Earth is very difficult. Although the knower of Bhagavad Gita becomes the knower of all... still, the 700 shlokas verses of Bhagavad Gita can never be understood literally.

Mere blessings of a spiritual master never help. Every spiritual guru can only guide one on the spiritual journey. The path... the spiritual journey is to be covered by every human being all alone! There are no shortcuts on the spiritual path... no spiritual masters can ever deliver one from the ills of mankind. One has to negate karma in totality of ones own. Only then one gains enlightenment (kaivalya jnana) and then finally salvation (moksha).
    « Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 07:40:47 AM by -=≡{RAVI}≡=- »

Online Admin

• Administrator
    • Blessings 54
    • साई राम اوم ساي رام ਓਮ ਸਾਈ ਰਾਮ OM SAI RAM
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #114 on: March 11, 2009, 09:55:34 AM »
  • Publish
  • Welcome to divine forum of Baba Sai. It's really good to see a start with such a good topic.

Most of us even do not realize what the end goal of our life is? For most of us love, life, wife, kids, family, career is the sole aim of life. I feel a bit lucky as I know and realize that these things are required and should happen but they are not the end goal of my life. I feel lucky as I realize it. For me realization is very important and it leads to our destination. For now I continue to search what is the aim of my life.

Once again thanks for sharing the words and hope to many more in future.

Sai Ram

« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 07:40:58 AM by -=≡{RAVI}≡=- »

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #115 on: August 25, 2009, 01:03:14 PM »
  • Publish
  • Grace of the Guru
      :)  :)  :)  :)  :)

It is the intensity of the faith you have in the guru's words that is most important; once that is there, the grace flows automatically. The faith in the guru is based on the consciousness within, faith in your Self. My association with my guru was scarcely for two and a half years. The words he gave me touched me very deeply. I abided in one thing only: that the words of my guru are the truth, and he said “You are the Absolute, You are the Parabrahman". After that there were no more doubts and no more questions. Once my guru conveyed to me what he had to say I never bothered about other things - I hung on to the words of the guru. I know exactly how transient this present state of affairs is, and I also know the eternal state. I have no use for this ephemeral state. I understand the false as false. Since I have found my true permanent state I have no need for any of this; it has come on its own and it will go on its own. In that fullness there is no need of any kind. I've had that state of fullness after I met my guru; if I hadn't met him I would have lived and died as an ordinary man. The deep, dark blue state, the shade that you can take rest in, that is the grace of the guru. The darkness that you see when you close your eyes, that is the shadow of the guru's grace. Always keep it in mind; take rest in that shade of guru's grace.
    Through the concepts of others you have built up so many things around you that you are lost. You are decorated and embellished by the concepts of others. The purpose of the guru is to tell you what you were like prior to the building up of all those concepts. Your pre­sent spiritual storehouse is filled up with the words of others - demolish those concepts. You must find out for yourself your own truth. Guru means the eternal state which will never change... what you truly are. You are that immutable, eternal, unchangeable Absolute. Guru tells you to get rid of all the walls built around you by the hearsay and con­cepts of others, which have kept you from your true nature.

Understand that the consciousness has arisen sponta­neously in you, the Absolute. Once you are conscious of yourself you know you exist and you love this beingness; you do not want this beingness to depart from you, and it is this that makes you strive all day until sleep overcomes you, in order to keep the beingness satisfied. Then the guru tells you the true state of affairs, that this consciousness which you love so much is only an illusion. It is the basic cause of all unhappiness and your true state is before this consciousness arose. Understand this thoroughly, intuitively, beyond all words and concepts, but also know that if this understanding is just something happening in the intellect it will be of no use to you, because it will be at the level of phenomenal consciousness... concepts... and that consciousness is nothing but illusion. Whatever you know is imperfect, fraudulent. Go where you do not know. Recede into the source, into no form, no beingness; there you are perfect. Whatever you witness will not remain with you; it is imperfect. The one who recognizes the imperfect as imperfect is perfect; that one is complete in himself.

Have firm faith in the words of the guru. Nothing, nobody existed prior to you. When your beingness appeared then everything appeared. Understand that first moment when you understood that you are, the point at which everything arose. The source and the end are the same point. In the spiritual hierarchy going from the grossest to the subtlest, you are the subtlest. The very base is you, full and complete, without need for knowledge of who you are. Suddenly the space-like, all-pervading 'I amness' appears. Spontaneously, uncalled for, the beingness has come and is being witnessed by you, the Absolute. Later, this space-like 'I amness' disappears and the beingness goes back into oblivion. You remain in the eternal state, your true unchanging state. Prior to your beingness, nothing was... but you, the Absolute. After the beingness comes, still all there is is you, the Absolute. Without the beingness you, the Absolute, don't know you are. You are without any stigma, not covered by anything. You are the Paramatman, the core Self, the highest Self, the Absolute, subtler than space, beyond consciousness, beyond the 'I am­ness'.

In meditation, let your beingness merge in your Self, the non-dual state. Remain still. Do not struggle to come out of the mud of your concepts, you will only go deeper. Simply abide in the stillness. The Self has no occasion to say it exists; it is in eternity. When there is no body-mind there can be no practice; only the stillness of the Self remains

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #116 on: August 31, 2009, 07:27:47 AM »
  • Publish
  • Shri Krishna recommended, we should approach the wise Teacher "Learn THAT (Eternal Truth, the Brahman) by humble reverence, by inquiry and by service. The men of wisdom who have seen the Truth will instruct you in that wisdom".

Sadgurus are infinite existence, infinite knowledge and infinite bliss.
    The form of Guru is the root of meditation,
    The feet of the Guru are the root of worship,
    The teaching of the Guru is the root of all hymns and
    The Grace of the Guru is the root of salvation.

The Sadgurus or perfect masters are born at different times in different places and with different cultural backgrounds.
    Strangely enough their external situations may be widely variant but their actions in their embodied stages display a common
    theme and common approach to solve the human problems.

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #117 on: December 25, 2009, 04:03:04 PM »
  • Publish
  • Will Hari Provide?

A child does not ask for the nourishment, mother who feeds and clothes the child brings upon its care. As the child grows, its demands increase. However, the child is still not equipped to procure its needs. Although the child knows what it wants, it is the prerogative of the caretaker to provide the demanding child with its wants. As it enters the adulthood, the child is no longer dependent on the adult. While the child had the luxury of being cared for by the adult, the adult gets what he/she works for.

The process of spiritual advancement is analogous to the above. Baba pulls His child to Himself and provides the infant with the necessities without being asked for. The later stages involve the growing child command for its wants. Baba gives. Smilingly. This stage is the audacious lag of the journey, every prayer answered, every benefit awarded. Soon this stage should end. The realization dawns once the power of temporary bliss wanes away and the longing for something bigger begins to take a shape. How is the intangible realized? The inexplicable mastered?

Will Hari provide? Shri Hemadpanth wrote beautifully, "If there be my Hari (Lord), He will feed me on my cot". This proverb is only true in respect of food and clothing, but if anyone trusting in this sits quiet and do nothing in spiritual matters, he will be ruined. One has to exert himself to his utmost for attaining self realization. The more he endeavors, the better for him. Mercy of Sadguru sees one safely through the stages of infant and the growing. Constant contemplation on the nature of the self, in whatever name it is called, is the endeavor for the adult. Yes, the adult has to work for it and gets what he/she works for! 

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #118 on: January 09, 2010, 07:20:59 PM »
  • Publish
  • Guru

Dhyaanamoolam Gurur Moorthihi
    Poojamoolam Guroh Padam
    Mantramoolam Guror Vaakyam
    Moksha Moolam Guru Krupa.

Meaning: The Guru's form is the best to meditate upon; the Guru's feet are the best for worship; the Guru's word is the mantra; the Guru's Grace is the root of liberation.

It is not possible to see the true form of God.  All the pictorial representation of deities or gods is the creative imagination of the artists as depicted in the various scriptures.  So how does a common man worship God?  Satcharita says that Saints are the representatives of God on this earth and appear in times of need to protect the virtuous and guide the seekers of truth in the right path.  Saint or Guru, is the divine personification of God, who has experienced God, lives by the word of God , has the ability to be able to lead an ignorant man in the path of spiritual realisation and make him see God.  As followers of Shirdi Sai BABA, we are familiar with the importance of a Guru for the success in spiritual progression as mentioned  in chapter 32 of Satcharita.  BABA urged that bookish knowledge alone is worthless and added “Let us do our prescribed duty and surrender our body, mind and five pranas (life) to the Guru's feet.  Guru is the god, all pervading.  To get this conviction, strong unbounded faith is necessary.” 

If such were the position of a Guru then what qualities are necessary for a person to be called a guru?  Do we all need to have a guru to attain spiritual progress?  A number of such questions keep haunting us.  To answer these questions let us refer to Satcharita, - a guru is one who has proficiency of all Vedas and has digested the knowledge of self realisation.  Guru's mere glance showers love, mercy and His touch removes our sins.  Being in His presence makes our agitated mind calm and composed.  Being in His presence realisation flashes  by itself without any effort or study by the disciple.  To answer the second question, chapter 26 of Satcharita brings about the   importance of a guru for a spiritual seeker, as BABA said that guru alone who has realised god can take a man towards the path of God realisation so every seeker must have a guru. 

How to find such a guru who would lead us to the path of god realisation?  If our devotion towards god is sincere then god arranges our meeting with our Guru, it could be a guru who is alive in flesh and body or an invisible supreme power in the form of our Sadguru Shri Sai Himself or Satcharita which communicates BABA's philosophy and teachings on how a seeker of god should lead a life.  Satcharita is sufficient to guide a devotee in the path of spirituality.  Satcharita is nothing but the words spoken by Shri Sadguru Sai BABA Himself.  General perception is that guru is always a living entity with body, just like you and I.  Those who are familiar with Sikh tradition will know that the 10th Guru for Sikh guru parampara is Shri Guru Granth Sahib – a book with teachings of all the 9 gurus.  There are no doubt real guru's alive on this earth even in this age and time, but to recognise their worth requires divine guidance.  If our devotion and love towards god is sincere then god himself arranges our meeting with  a noble person who has reached the heights of spirituality being immersed in knowledge of godliness, having digested vedas and treaded the razor edged path of Spirituality.  Do not despair if one has not met the Guru in life, it does not mean that devotion is not sincere, it means, god has different plans for each one of us. 

Baba once asked a devotee, to install a post in front of Dwarakamai on gurupoornima day and offer guru worship to the post instead of to BABA.  One might wonder why BABA did this so.  Mysterious are the ways of BABA, He alone knows why He prescribes certain things to certain people.  Perhaps it might be to convey the message to His devotees that, body or form is not important to show obeisance to guru, it is the bhav or feelings of love, devotion towards “guru”.  That is what BABA conveyed to us when He served the psuedo guru Javhar Ali.  BABA did not judge the worth of the guru, though BABA knew the defects of His guru, He served Javhar Ali with all sincerity a disciple should have towards the guru.  One who knows that  “guru” is the saviour and surrenders at the feet of guru is sure to be delivered from the mundane problems.  One should not judge the worth of the guru,  having reached the feet of guru, one should have love, loyalty and surrender to the feet of the guru knowing that all his actions are controlled by Guru alone, such a man reaches his spiritual goal faster. 

Unflinching faith in “guru” is the secret to the success in scaling the spiritual path and that is the message from Satcharita.  One should not involve in the arguments discussing the greatness or defects of a guru, when we are not perfect who are we to discuss the defects of another.  Shradda and Saburi are the two invaluable ornaments to be adorned by the devotee, when one serves guru with faith and devotion, God will be pleased and shower His grace through the guru.  On this guru poornima let us offer our sincere pledge to practice what BABA taught us through Satcharita and offer our love and devotion at the feet of the guru.  Know that is guru's word is gospel and surrendering at the feet of Guru will deliver us from sins of many birth. 

Oh Master on this holy Gurupoornima day please accept our love and devotion at your holy feet and beg you to purify our body without ego and vices use us to serve you and love you always.

Anitha Kandukuri
    Canberra, Australia

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #119 on: June 01, 2010, 11:14:39 AM »
  • Publish
  • Importance of Guru

Having a teacher to guide us in any field is invaluable. This is true in Spirituality as well. A Guru is very different to a teacher or a preacher. He is a beacon of spiritual light in our world and teaches us, the universal spiritual principles that underlie all religions and cultures.

The word .Guru. is derived from the Sanskrit language and has a deep spiritual meaning.
    Gu denotes the spiritual ignorance that most of mankind is in.
    Ru represents the radiance of spiritual knowledge that dispels the spiritual ignorance.

In short, the Guru is the One who dispels the darkness of spiritual ignorance in man and bestows upon him spiritual experiences and spiritual knowledge.

GURU plays the pivotal role in reminding us the divinely advice, teaches us the art of living a balanced life with restraint and stability of mind. He is the one who brings about awareness that actions (karmas) performed under the influence of senses, give rise to sensuous pleasures and pains, which are transitory and fleeting. He guides you how to discipline and bring under control the five wild horses - 'kaam' (passion), 'krodha' (anger), 'lobh' (greed), 'moh' (emotional attachment) and 'ahankaar' (ego) and helps you to take the chariot of your life in the right direction of inner peace and tranquility. He brings about a realization in you that over-indulgence in sensuous objects give rise to TAMOGUNA and the end result is regret, remorse, sorrow and loss of peace. Like a Divine Father, he holds your little finger and conditions you to fearlessly travel from the illusionary material world, to the realms of spirituality so that you could be one with the Real One and realize the ultimate truth - i.e., God.

A Guru is beyond religions. He does not discriminate on the basis of culture, nationality or gender. He will never ask one to convert from his religion. He will lift the student to comprehend universal spiritual principles that underlie all religions. Whichever spiritual path or religion one follows, they all finally lead to the path of grace of the Guru.

The Guru is omniscient and is therefore able to take care of all his disciples even when he is not with Him physically.

Facebook Comments