Join Sai Baba Announcement List

DOWNLOAD SAMARPAN - Nov 2018

Author Topic: Parables  (Read 142287 times)

Offline SS91

• Members
  • Blessings 37
  • OM SHRI SAI NATHAYA NAMAHA
    • Sai Baba
Re: Parables
« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2007, 06:47:56 PM »
  • Publish
  • Parable Of The Millionaire And Three Beggars

There was a good-natured millionaire in the town. Three beggars thought of approaching
    him for help.

The first man went to the millionaire and said: “

O Lord! I want five rupees. Please give me.”

The millionaire was taken aback at this man’s impudence. “

What! You demand five rupees from me as though I owe you the money! How dare you? How can I afford to give five rupees to a single beggar?

Here, take these two rupees and get away,” he said.

The man went away with the two rupees.

The next beggar went to the millionaire and said: “

Maharaj! I have not taken a square meal for the past ten days. Please help me.” “

How much do you want?” asked the millionaire. “

Whatever you give me, Maharaj,” replied the beggar. “

Here, take this ten rupee note. You can have nice food for at least three days.”

The beggar walked away with the ten rupee note.

The third beggar came.

“Maharaj, I have heard about your noble qualities. Therefore, I have come to have your Darshan.

Men of such charitable disposition are verily the manifestations of God on earth,” he said. “

Please sit down,” said the millionaire. “You appear to be tired. Please take this food,” he said,

and offered food to the beggar. “

Now please tell me what I can do for you.” “Maharaj,” replied the beggar; “

I merely came to have the Darshan of the noble personage that you are.

You have given me this rich food already. What more need I get from you? You have already shown

extraordinary kindness towards me.

May God bless you!” But the millionaire, struck by the beggar’s spirit, begged of the beggar to remain with him, built a decent house for him in his own compound, and looked after him for the rest of his life.

God is like this good millionaire.

Three classes of people approach Him, with three different desires and prayers.

There is the greedy man full of vanity, full of arrogance, full of desires. He demands the
    objects of worldly enjoyment from God. Since this man, whatever be his vile desires, has had the
    good sense to approach God, He grants him some part of the desired objects (even these very soon
    pass away, just as the two rupees the first beggar got are spent before nightfall).

The other type of devotee prays to the Lord for relief from the sufferings of the world, but is
    better than the first one, inasmuch as he is ready to abide by His Will. To him the Lord grants full
    relief from suffering, and bestows on him much wealth and property.

The third type is the Jnani; he knows the nature of God. He merely prays to the Lord: “O
    Lord, Thou art Satchidananda; Thou art Existence-Absolute, Knowledge-Absolute,
    Bliss-Absolute, etc., etc.” What does he want? Nothing. But the Lord is highly pleased with his
    spirit of renunciation, of desirelessness and of self-surrender. Therefore, He makes him eat His own
    food, i.e., He grants this man Supreme Devotion to Himself. Over and above this, He makes the
    Bhakta to live in His own House— Vaikuntha. For ever afterwards this Jnani-Bhakta dwells in the
    Lord’s Abode as a Liberated Sage.

JaiSaiRam!
    A Person, who has controlled his mind, can achieve any success in his life. How far you are trying to control your mind?
    The mind that judges not others ever remains tension-free.
    http://lh5.ggpht.com/_lOgd1uS-wX0/TCOlFNMxIBI/AAAAAAAAE88/GpxUgxnwioE/why_fear_when_i_am_here.jpg

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #61 on: October 28, 2007, 06:49:50 PM »
  • Publish
  • Parable Of The Brainy Boy

A devotee was distributing the Lord’s sacred prasad outside a temple. Hundreds had
    gathered around him. They created much noise and confusion. No Prasad could be distributed.

A small boy saw this crowd and ran into his house. He brought a big stick to the end of which
    he had attached a small basket. Standing away from the crowd with the help of the long stick,
    he took the basket very near the devotee. The devotee admired the boy’s intelligence and
     immediately gave him a lot of Prasad.
    The crowd that had gathered was still fighting to get near the devotee to receive the Prasad!

The Lord has with Him infinite Grace to be showered over all mankind. But people rush
    here and there, and want to get to the forefront.

Even Sadhakas and devotees who crowd round temples and Ashrams aspire for position and rank!
    In the meantime, a simple child-like man, with a high degree of Viveka, approaches the Lord with
    the help of the long stick of meditation and basket of Bhakti.

Living away from the maddening crowds, this Bhakta reaches the lotus-feet of the Lord
    first, because of his meditation and his devotion. The Lord is well pleased with his Viveka, his
    eagerness to avoid the crowd and reach a first place amongst them; and He is pleased with his
    meditation and devotion and grants him Divine Grace quickly.

JaiSairam!
    A Person, who has controlled his mind, can achieve any success in his life. How far you are trying to control your mind?
    http://lh5.ggpht.com/_lOgd1uS-wX0/TCOlFNMxIBI/AAAAAAAAE88/GpxUgxnwioE/why_fear_when_i_am_here.jpg

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #62 on: October 30, 2007, 05:58:21 PM »
  • Publish
  • Parable Of A Hundred Children

There lived in a certain town two boy-friends, Rama and Krishna. They both were neighbours. Rama married a nice charming girl when he came of age, but Krishna remained a bachelor for a long time. Both Rama and Krishna inherited a lot of wealth from their parents. Rama multiplied his wealth and became a millionaire. But, Krishna adopted his spiritual friend and guide's son and lived within his own means very happily.

In spite of his increasing fortune, there was no happiness in Rama's house. Too many children, born to him, were a regular source of constant annoyance to him and his wife. None of them could concentrate their attention on any of the children. The children always grew turbulent and boisterous and soon drained Rama of his wealth. No amount of income could help Rama to make both ends meet.

One day he approached Krishna and asked him as to the secret behind his happiness and the heavenly nature of his house. And Krishna replied, "I have but one son."

Rama and Krishna represent the human mind. One mind takes to some fancy, and begets a thousand desires as its offspring. The desires quickly drain the energy that the mind daily conserves through little concentration and meditation. The mind becomes a weakling, because of a number of desires. For the same reason, it cannot concentrate itself on a particular desire and achieve its end.

Krishna adopting the Guru's son is comparable to a mind imbibing a certain thought from the Guru and concentrating its energy and strength on developing it.

Where there are a thousand desires, there cannot be peace of mind or concentration of mental energy, or preservation even if it were only a weakling of mental strength. Where there is but a single desire, the mind can concentrate upon it well.

The greater the number of desires, the lesser is the peace and happiness. The lesser the desires, the greater is the peace of mind.

Learn to reduce the number of your desires. Keep one and one alone, and let that be divine. Concentrate the mind on it. You will enjoy peace and bliss; you will soon attain your goal.

JaiSaiRam.

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #63 on: October 30, 2007, 06:01:08 PM »
  • Publish
  • Parable Of The Advocate's Turban

An advocate was leaving the house in order to go to the Court. Just as he stepped on the road, he found that his turban was loose and as he took the next step, it collapsed. The entire length of the turban-cloth lay on the ground. He started tying it up again on his head. He could not. Every time he tried, he failed. He looked around. He discovered that at the foot of the staircase to his house there was a dome-light whose dome was of the size of his own head. He ran towards it and tied the turban around it, suggesting to himself that it was a head. Now he was perfectly successful. He then removed the neatly tied turban from the dome and placed on his own head and walked away to the Court.

The man trying to leave this worldly atmosphere of pain and death, to go to the Court of the Supreme Monarch, God, finds that his turban (the mind) is loose. It is out of shape. It is all over the place. He tries to gather it together and make out of it a beautiful turban for his head; in other words, to do Samadhi with one-pointed mind and crown himself or to reach the Sahasrara at the crown of the head. Every time he tries, he fails. The Consciousness residing in the Sahasrara is too subtle for him to see and tie his mind upon. He looks around himself. He finds an image of the Lord. For a moment he feels that it is as good as God or the Supreme Consciousness itself. He fastens the mind on to this image. When all the mind has been firmly gathered on the image, then he quickly removes it from the image and raises it to the Sahasrara, to the Supreme Consciousness. Now he finds it easy.
    Then he walks away happily to the Court of the Supreme Monarch, God.

JaiSaiRam.

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #64 on: November 01, 2007, 06:05:00 AM »
  • Publish
  • Parable Of The Wood-Cutter And Lord Yama

One day, in the month of June, when the sun was at its highest, an old wood-cutter was
    labouring at the task of collecting a bundle of wood. He was heaving sighs and dragging his weary
    steps upon the burning path. Being thus exhausted he threw the burden on the ground and prayed to
    the God of death: “O Death! Please do come, take me away, and relieve me of this burden.” And lo!
    the, God of death came to him at once, to relieve him of the drudgery of his mundane existence.
    “I have come,” he said, “be prepared to meet me.

“No, No,” he retorted, “I did not call you for that. Please keep this burden on my head. Only
    for this I called you here. Kindly help me to lift this burden.” The old man thus resumed his journey
    tottering with the load on his head.

People of the world, too, generally evince great devotion to the Lord, and pray to Him for
    relieving them of all the miseries of the world. But their devotion is half-hearted. They never mean
    what they pray for. They rather prefer to continue their miserable existence here than be relieved of
    it altogether.

For quick spiritual progress one must develop an intense aspiration to meet God. Suppose
    your hairs have caught fire; with what rapidity will you rush to quench it? The same must be your
    eagerness to run to Guru or to God, for attaining liberation. Who can see the Lord? He who cannot
    live without Him even for a second.

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #65 on: November 08, 2007, 06:35:32 AM »
  • Publish
  • Parable Of Mahmud And Ayaz

Mahmud Gazni was a powerful emperor before whom the whole world trembled.

But he was himself the deluded victim of the fascination of Ayaz, a slave-girl.

He became so much infatuated with the love of Ayaz, that when she was near, he was powerless.

Even when he attended the Court, his Prime Minister had to constantly remind him that he was the Mighty

Emperor Gazni, the great conqueror, etc.

Then and then alone was he able to behave as an emperor should.

Even so, the Jiva which is none other than the Infinite Consciousness, is deluded by Maya

and comes to imagine that it is finite, powerless, feeble and limited, subject to birth and death, pain

and joy, etc.

The Prime Minister of the Jiva or the pure intellect tries to reflect deeply and raise the

Vrittis of Akhanda, Ekarasa, Satchidananda, Nitya, Buddha, Mukta Swaroopa, etc., and the

Sadhaka begins to meditate. During meditation the Jiva feels that it is one with the Infinite,

unaffected by Maya and Avidya. Thus gradually it is established in this exalted state.

JaiSaiRam.

Offline Ramesh Ramnani

• Blessings 60
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #66 on: June 20, 2008, 03:34:25 AM »
  • Publish

• जय सांई राम।।।

A man, a very rich man, has a great garden. The grapes are ripe. He sends his manager to the marketplace to bring a few laborers. Those grapes have to be collected, otherwise they will start falling, they will start rotting. A few laborers come and they start working. By the afternoon it is realized that these people are not enough, so more are called. When the sun is almost setting it is realized that even this will not do, so more laborers are called. And then the sun sets and the darkness descends and they all gather, and the owner of the garden gives everybody the same amount of money -- to those who had come in the morning and to those who had come in the afternoon, and even to those who had just come and had only worked not more than half an hour. Naturally, the people who had come in the morning became annoyed, irritated, angry. They said, "What is this? This is unfair!

We worked the whole day and we get the same amount of money for our work. And these people have just come, they have not even worked at all -- they are also getting the same amount of money? This is unfair!"

And the master started laughing and he said, "Just think of one thing: is whatsoever you have got not enough for your labor?"

They said, "It is enough.

It is in fact double what we ordinarily get from somebody else."

The master said, "Then why are you worried about others? This is my money. You have got double what you would have got anywhere else, but you are not happy. You are being miserable because I have given to others. This is my money and I have so much to give. My treasures are full, I am burdened. I give to these laborers not because they have worked, but because I have so much that I don't know what to do with it. Why are you angry?"

Jesus tells this parable in reference to God. And he says, "When you are facing God He will give you not because you have done this or you have done that -- not because of your worth -- but because He has so much. He is burdened, He is burdened like a cloud full of rain. It has to rain not because the earth is worthy. Have you not watched the clouds come? -- and they rain on all kinds of soil. They rain on stones, rocks, they rain on fertile soil; they rain also on wastelands where nothing grows and nothing will ever grow.

Exactly like that, when a flower opens up, its fragrance is released to the winds, in all the directions. To whomsoever passes by the road, it is available; it makes no distinction between the worthy and the unworthy. That's what I want to relate to you.

I cannot mention it because it is part of economics. It is part of human cunningness and cleverness. It has nothing to do with real religion.

The law of karma says you will get only that which you earn. And I want to say to you: you don't get according to your worth, you get according to God's abundance -- sinners and saints, all; good and bad, all. The only thing that is needed is... are you ready to receive it? I am not talking about worthiness. I am simply saying: are you open to receiving it? Are you ready, available, vulnerable, so when it showers on you you can let it soak in?

Who is available? One who lives in the present, moment-to-moment, is available to God. And this I am saying to you because this has been MY experience. I am not talking philosophy to you, but simply stating what I have experienced. God gives out of His abundance. But you are not available, you are in the past or in the future. The future is not yet, the past is no more. You move in shadows.

Come to the real! And the real is always herenow. God knows only one time and that is now and only one space, that is here.

अपना सांई प्यारा सांई सबसे न्यारा अपना सांई

ॐ सांई राम।।।
    अपना साँई प्यारा साँई सबसे न्यारा अपना साँई - रमेश रमनानी

Offline fatima

• Blessings 16
    Re: Parables----God's Plan
    « Reply #67 on: August 30, 2008, 03:34:37 AM »
  • Publish
  • Once there were three trees on a hill in the woods. They were discussing their hopes and dreams when the first tree said, "Someday I hope to be a treasure chest. I could be filled with gold, silver and precious gems. I could be decorated with intricate carving and everyone would see the beauty."

Then the second tree said, "Someday I will be a mighty ship. I will take kings and queens across the waters and sail to the corners of the world. Everyone will feel safe in me because of the strength of my hull."

Finally the third tree said, "I want to grow to be the tallest and straightest tree in the forest. People will see me on top of the hill and look up to my branches, and think of the heavens and God and how close to them I am reaching. I will be the greatest tree of all time and people will always remember me."

After a few years of praying that their dreams would come true, a group of woodsmen came upon the trees. When one came to the first tree he said, "This looks like a strong tree, I think I should be able to sell the wood to a carpenter" ... and he began cutting it down. The tree was happy, because he knew that the carpenter would make him into a treasure chest.

At the second tree a woodsman said, "This looks like a strong tree, I should be able to sell it to the shipyard." The second tree was happy because he knew he was on his way to becoming a mighty ship.

When the woodsmen came upon the third tree, the tree was frightened because he knew that if they cut him down his dreams would not come true. One of the woodsmen said, "I don't need anything special from my tree so I'll take this one", and he cut it down.

When the first tree arrived at the carpenters, he was made into a feed box for animals. He was then placed in a barn and filled with hay. This was not at all what he had prayed for. The second tree was cut and made into a small fishing boat. His dreams of being a mighty ship and carrying kings had come to an end. The third tree was cut into large pieces and left alone in the dark. The years went by, and the trees forgot about their dreams.

Then one day, a man and woman came to the barn. She gave birth and they placed the baby in the hay in the feed box that was made from the first tree. The man wished that he could have made a crib for the baby, but this manger would have to do. The tree could feel the importance of this event and knew that it had held the greatest treasure of all time.

Years later, a group of men got in the fishing boat made from the second tree. One of them was tired and went to sleep. While they were out on the water, a great storm arose and the tree didn't think it was strong enough to keep the men safe. The men woke the sleeping man, and he stood and said "Peace" and the storm stopped. At this time, the tree knew that it had carried the King of Kings in its boat.

Finally, someone came and got the third tree. It was carried through the streets as the people mocked the man who was carrying it. When they came to a stop, the man was nailed to the tree and raised in the air to die at the top of a hill. When Sunday came, the tree came to realize that it was strong enough to stand at the top of the hill and be as close to God as was possible, because Jesus had been crucified on it.

The moral of this story is that when things don't seem to be going your way, always know that God has a plan for you. If you place your trust in Him, He will give you great gifts. Each of the trees got what they wanted, just not in the way they had imagined. We don't always know what God's plans are for us. We just know that His ways might not be our ways, but His ways are always best.
    Not every heart is capable of finding the secret of God's love.

There are not pearls in every sea; there is not gold in every mine.

------Baba Farid

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #68 on: November 01, 2008, 05:25:46 PM »
  • Publish
  • Parable Of The Pencil - Pencil story

The Pencil Maker took the pencil aside, just before putting him into the box.

"There are 5 things you need to know," he told the pencil, "Before I send you out into the world. Always remember them and never forget, and you will become the best pencil you can be."

"One: You will be able to do many great things, but only if you allow yourself to be held in Someone's hand."

"Two: You will experience a painful sharpening from time to time, but you'll need it to become a better pencil."

"Three: You will be able to correct any mistakes you might make."

"Four: The most important part of you will always be what's inside."

"And Five: On every surface you are used on, you must leave your mark. No matter what the condition, you must continue to write."

The pencil understood and promised to remember, and went into the box with purpose in its heart.

Now replacing the place of the pencil with you.  Always remember them and never forget, and you will become the best person you can be.

One: You will be able to do many great things, but only if you allow yourself to be held in God's hand. And allow other human beings to access you for the many gifts you possess.

Two: You will experience a painful sharpening from time to time, by going through various problems in life, but you'll need it to become a stronger person.

Three: You will be able to correct any mistakes you might make.

Four: The most important part of you will always be what's on the inside.

And Five: On every surface you walk through, you must leave your mark. No matter what the situation, you must continue to do your duties.

Allow this parable on the pencil to encourage you to know that you are a special person and only you can fulfill the purpose to which you were born to accomplish.

Never allow yourself to get discouraged and think that your life is insignificant and cannot make a change.

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #69 on: July 11, 2009, 03:10:58 PM »
  • Publish
  • Parable Of Raja Janaka And The Pandits

Some Pandits criticised Raja Janaka:
    “Raja Janaka is a worldly Man.
    How can he be a Jnani or a Sage?"
    Raja Janaka wanted to teach them a lesson,
    He called all Pandits
    And gave them a very good feast.
    Many tasty preparations were served,
    All the Pandits were rejoicing.
    But to their astonishment
    They saw a sword hanging above their heads,
    The sword was tied by means of a hair.
    They all trembled.
    They all mixed everything and ate hurriedly.
    When the feast was over,
    They came to the Durbar.
    Raja Janaka asked:
    “O Pandits, what things did you eat today?
    Were they all nice, according to your taste?"
    The Pandits replied;
    “Our minds were on the hair only.
    We do not know anything."
    Janaka said:
    “O Pandits, similar is the state of my mind.
    My mind is fixed on Brahman alone;
    I do not know anything of this world."
    The Pandits put down their heads in shame.
    They now realised the state of a Jivanmukta.
    The Jivanmukta may appear
    To be doing the normal duties of life.
    But his mind is not in the world;
    It is unified with the Absolute.

JaiSaiRam

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #70 on: July 11, 2009, 03:31:13 PM »
  • Publish
  • Parable Of The Old Lady And The Needle

One old lady lost a needle in the house,
    But she was searching for it outside
    In the moonlight.
    One man asked her:
    “O lady, what are you searching here?”
    She replied: I lost a needle in the house;
    There is darkness inside;
    So I am searching for the needle here."
    Worldly people are like this old lady.
    They are searching for happiness in the object,
    Where real happiness does not exist.
    Look within; control the mind;
    You will find the object of your quest in your own Atman.

JaiSaiRam

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #71 on: July 26, 2009, 03:37:51 PM »
  • Publish

• Parable of the Mother-In-Law and the Beggar

A beggar came to the house when the mother-in-law was away and the daughter-in-law
    Refused to give alms. The beggar went away. The mother-in-law met him on the road. He told her that her daughter-in-law had refused to give her alms. .What right had she? Roared the mother-in-law, .come with me... The beggar came back to the house, full of expectation. As soon as she reached the house, she turned round and said: .Get away. I won’t give you alms. But even for this refusal only I have the right in this house and not my daughter-in-law... Even so, when a man turns away from the objects of the world, out of disgust, the spiritual preceptor admonishes him and points out to him that he should not remain inactive, or shun the world. For a while, he seems to preach activism, on the theory that the world is a solid reality! He asked the Sadhaka to work, to serve all and to love all, as though the .many. Exists... In due course, the Sadhaka attains Self-realization. Then he abandons all worldliness, truly renounces the world,
    And remains immersed in the Consciousness of the One. But here the renunciation is born of Self-realisation. He has the authority to renounce; and he alone can renounce the world and all activity. He has realized the One Self in all. The aspirant has AjnanaVairagya, Vairagya generated by the painful nature of the world; the saint has Jnana-Vairagya or Vairagya born of the realization of the essential nature of the Self which is One, Indivisible, All pervading Consciousness, the Great Indwelling Presence, realising which man longs for nothing else.

JaiSaiRam

Offline shirsi

• Blessings 3
    • Jai Jai Shree Sai!
    « Reply #72 on: July 27, 2009, 12:33:28 AM »
  • Publish
  • om sai ram

One day Leonardo da Vinci was painting 'The Last Supper' .He was angry with a certain man .In his temper he

shouted at him .Returning to his work ,he attempted to brush a few delicate lines on the face of Jesus Christ .But he

was so deeply worried that he could not regain his composure.Unable to continue he went to look for the man and

ask his forgiveness.Only after his apology was accepted Leonardo could go back and complete the face of Christ.

om sai ram
    Jai sai ram
    ||om shree sai nathaya namaha||

Offline shirsi

• Blessings 3
    • Jai Jai Shree Sai!
    « Reply #73 on: July 28, 2009, 04:07:09 AM »
  • Publish
  • om sai ram

BUTTERFLY

A man found a cocoon of a butterfly. One day a small opening appeared. He sat and watched the butterfly for several hours as it struggled to force its body through that little hole. Then it seemed to stop making any progress. It appeared as if it had gotten as far as it could, and it could go no further.

So the man decided to help the butterfly. He took a pair of scissors and snipped off the remaining bit of the cocoon.

The butterfly then emerged easily. But it had a swollen body and small, shriveled wings.

The man continued to watch the butterfly because he expected that, at any moment, the wings would enlarge and expand to be able to support the body, which would contract in time.

Neither happened! In fact, the butterfly spent the rest of its life crawling around with a swollen body and shriveled wings. It never was able to fly.

What the man, in his kindness and haste, did not understand was that the restricting cocoon and the struggle required for the butterfly to get through the tiny opening were God's way of forcing fluid from the body of the butterfly into its wings so that it would be ready for flight once it achieved its freedom from the cocoon.

Sometimes struggles are exactly what we need in our lives. If God allowed us to go through our lives without any obstacles, it would cripple us.

We would not be as strong as what we could have been. We could never fly!

om sai ram

||om shree sai nathaya namaha||

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #74 on: March 13, 2011, 05:27:47 PM »
  • Publish
  • Grandmother's Basket -- a Tale from Germany
    When Grandmother returns from Sunday service, her grand-daughter asks: "Grandma, what was the father preaching about in his sermon today?"
    Grandmother shakes her head, "I can't remember, dear..." The girl, annoyed, returns "But then, why do you go to church at all when you don't remember what's said there!"
    Grandmother smiles and empties her knitting basket. She hands it to the girl: "Please go and fetch me water!"
    "In this basket, Grandma? Impossible! With all the gaps and cracks, it won't even hold a thimble full!"
    Grandma, still smiling, says "Please!"
    And the girl, though angry about this stupid old woman, goes and does as bidded. She returns, triumphantly: "I knew it, there won't stay a drop in it!"
    Grandmother takes the basket and looks at it, scrutinizing: "But it is cleaner now, can't you see?"

Facebook Comments