Join Sai Baba Announcement List

DOWNLOAD SAMARPAN - Nov 2018

Author Topic: STORY OF THE DAY  (Read 136899 times)

Offline Ramesh Ramnani

• Blessings 60
    • Sai Baba
STORY OF THE DAY
« on: May 07, 2005, 12:00:42 AM »
  • Publish
  • The Story of a Donkey

A washer man had 10 donkeys he used to take to the river with him to haul clothes on. While he was working or sleeping, he would tie them up so they wouldn't stray off. One day when he went to tie them up, he found he only had 9 ropes. He tied 9 donkeys and was holding the 10th by the ear wondering what he should do. A saint was passing by and asked him what he was doing. The washer man explained his dilemma and asked him for advice. The saint told him he only had to pretend he had a rope in his hands and perform the motions of tying the donkey up and that he would stay. So the washer man followed his advice and to his surprise, the donkey stayed all night while the washer man slept. In the morning when he was ready to leave the river, the washer man untied the donkeys and began his journey home. But the one donkey who had not really been tied refused to move.

The washer man was puzzled by this and was tugging on the donkeys ear to move him along. The donkey that had been tied with only an imaginary rope would not move. The saint reappeared again and the washer man sought his advice.  The saint asked him if he had untied the donkey and the washer man said no and asked why he would need to since it was just an imaginary rope. The saint replied that donkeys are a lot like people in that they get caught up in an imaginary life and are under the illusion of bondage. So the washer man followed his directions and pretended to untie the donkey. The donkey then moved on along his way to the village with the others.

We create bondages for ourselves with our imagination.
    The truth is that we are free. Untie yourself from
    the maya  and free yourself from your mind.

अपना साँई प्यारा साँई सबसे न्यारा अपना साँई - रमेश रमनानी

Offline Ramesh Ramnani

• Blessings 60
      • Sai Baba
    Re: STORY OF THE DAY
    « Reply #1 on: May 14, 2005, 12:26:11 PM »
  • Publish
  • SPARROW AND THE ELEPHANT

There used to live a pair of sparrows in a forest. They had their nest on a big tree. After some days the mother sparrow laid eggs.

One day, an elephant came under the shade of that tree to take rest. It was very hot that day. The elephant playfully broke that particular branch on which the nest, the sparrows rested. The eggs fell down and smashed. The pair of sparrows survived somehow.

The female sparrow started wailing to see the eggs destroyed. Right then a woodpecker by the name of Sudansunak arrived there. He was a friend of the sparrows. The woodpecker said-

"Its no use crying over a lost thing. It is said there is no use crying over the things which have been destroyed, a person who has died and the time which has passed".

The mother sparrow said-

"Whatever you say is absolutely right. But my sorrow will remain as long as the wicked elephant is alive. If you can help me in killing that mean elephant only then my sorrows will be eliminated".

The woodpecker agreed to help the sparrows. He than went to call his friend Vinarwa, the fly. He narrated the whole story to her. The fly readily agreed to help the sparrows. Then she along with the woodpecker went to Meghanand- the frog, which was the friend of that fly.

When the frog heard the whole story he became very angry with that wicked elephant. He said -

"What is this mean elephant before our collective strength".

Then the frog devised a plan according to which, the fly was to make a buzzing sound in the ears of the elephant, which would close his eyes in joy anticipating more. Right then the woodpecker would blind him by his pointed beak. In the afternoon the blind elephant would be thirsty. Then the elephant would search for the water. Meghanand would then croak near a ravine. The elephant would follow his voice and come towards the ravine and fall into it and die.

The plan worked successfully and the elephant died after falling into the ravine.

Offline Ramesh Ramnani

• Blessings 60
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #2 on: May 14, 2005, 11:25:55 PM »
  • Publish
  • GAUTAM THE BUDDHA

Gautam Buddha's father was very old and he had only one son, and that too was born to him when he was very old His whole life he has waited and prayed and worshipped and did all kinds of religious rituals so that he can have a son, because who is going to look after his great kingdom? And then one day the son disappeared from the palace. Do you think he was very happy? He was so angry, violently angry, he would have killed Gautam Buddha if he had found him! His police, his detectives were searching all over the kingdom. "Where he is hiding? Bring him to me!"

And Buddha knew it, that he will be caught by his father's agents, so the first thing he did was he left the boundary of his father's kingdom; escaped into another kingdom, and for twelve years nothing was heard about him.

When he became enlightened he came back home to share his joy, to say to the father that, "I have arrived home," that "I have realized," that "I have known the truth -- and this is the way."

But the father was so angry, he was trembling and shaking -- he was old, very old. He shouted at Buddha and he said, "You are a disgrace to me!" He saw Buddha -- he was standing there in a beggar's robe with a begging bowl -- and he said, "How you dare to stand before me like a beggar? You are the son of an emperor, and in our family there has never been a beggar! My father was an emperor, his father was too, and for centuries we have been emperors! You have disgraced the whole heritage!"

Buddha listened for half an hour, he didn't say a single word. When the father ran out of gas, cooled down a little... tears were coming out of his eyes, tears of anger, frustration. Then Buddha said, "I ask for only one favor. Please wipe your tears and look at me -- I am not the same person who had left the home, I am totally transformed. But your eyes are so full of tears you cannot see. And you are still talking to somebody who is no more! He has died."

And this triggered another anger, and the father said, "You are trying to teach me? Do you think I am a fool? Can't I recognize my own son? My blood is running in your veins -- and I cannot recognize you?"

Buddha said, "Please don't misunderstand me. The body certainly belongs to you, but not my consciousness. And my consciousness is my reality, not my body. And you are right that your father was an emperor and his father too, but as far as I know about myself I was a beggar in my past life and I was a beggar in a previous life too, because I have been searching for truth. My BODY has come through you, but you have been just like a passage. You have not created me, you have been a medium, and my consciousness has nothing to do with your consciousness. And what I am saying is that now I have come home with a new consciousness, I have gone through a rebirth. Just LOOK at me, look at my joy!"

And the father looked at the son, not believing what he is saying. But one thing was certainly there: that he was so angry but the son has not reacted at all. That was absolutely new -- he knew his son. If he was just the old person he would have become as angry as the father or even more, because he was young and his blood was hotter than the father's. But he is not angry at all, there is absolute peace on his face, a great silence. He is undisturbed, undistracted by the father's anger. The father has abused him, but it seems not to have affected him at all.

He wiped his tears from the old eyes, looked again, saw the new grace...

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
    • OM SHRI SAI NATHAYA NAMAHA
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 02:06:02 PM »
  • Publish
  • The Little Soul and the Sun

Part 1

There once was a soul who knew itself to be the light. This was a new soul and so, anxious for experience.

"I am the light" it said. "I am the light"

Yet all the knowing of it and all the saying of it, could not substitute for the experience of it. And in the realm from which this soul emerged, there was nothing but the light. Every soul was grand and every soul was magnificent and every soul shone with the brilliance of God's awesome light. So the little soul was as a candle in the sun. In the midst of the grandest light, of which it was part, it could not see itself, nor experience itself as Who and What it really is.

Now it came to pass that this soul yearned and yearned to know itself. So great was it's yearning that God one day said, "Do you know little one, what you must do to satisfy this yearning of yours?"

"Oh, what, God? What? I'll do anything!" the little soul said.

"You must separate yourself from the rest of us" God answered, "and then you must call upon yourself the darkness"

"What is the darkness, o Holy One?" the little soul asked.

"That which you are not" God replied and the soul understood.

And so this the soul did, removing itself from the ' All ' going even unto another realm. And in this realm the soul had the power to call into it's experience all sorts of darkness. And this it did.

Yet in the midst of all the darkness did it cry out, "Father, Father, why hast thou forsaken me?"

God replied: "Even has have you, in your blackest times. Yet I have never forsaken you, but stand by you always, ready to remind you of Who You Really Are; ready always ready, to call you home.

Therefore be a light unto the darkness and curse it not. And forget not who you are in the moment of your encirclement by that which you are not. But do praise to the creation even as you seek to change it.

And know that what you do in the time of your greatest trial can be your greatest triumph.

For the experience you create is a statement of Who You Are - and Who You Want to Be.

Part 2

God said to the little soul, "You may choose to be any Part of God you wish to be. You are absolute divinity experiencing itself. What aspect of divinity do you now wish to experience as You?"

"You mean I have a choice", asked the little soul.

God answered, "Yes. You may choose to experience any aspect of divinity in, as and through you."

"Okay," said the little soul, "then I choose forgivness. I want to experience myself as that aspect of God called complete forgivness."

Well this created a little challenge, as you can imagine. There was no one to forgive. All God had created was perfection and love.

"No one to forgive?" asked the little soul, somewhat incredulously.

"No one," God repeated. "Look around you. Do you see any souls less than perfect, less wonderful than you?"

At this the little soul twirled around and was surprised to see himself surrounded by all the souls in heaven. They had come from far and wide throughout the kingdom, because they heard that the little soul was having an extraordinary conversation with God.

"I see none less perfect than I!" the little soul exclaimed. "Who, then, shall I have to forgive?"

Just then another soul stepped forward from the crowd.

"You may forgive me" said this friendly soul

"For what?" the little soul asked.

" I will come into your next physical lifetime and do something for you to forgive," replied the friendly soul.

"But what? What could you, a being of such perfect light do to make me wnat to forgive you?" the little soul wanted to know.

"Oh," smiled the friendly soul, "I'm sure we can think of something."

"But why would you want to do this?" The little soul could not figure out why a being of such perfection would want to slow down it's vibration so much that it could do something 'bad'.

"Simple," the friendly soul explained, "I would do it because I love you. You want to experience yourself as forgiving, don't you? Besides you've done the same for me."

"I have?" asked the little soul.

"Of course, don't you remember? We've been All Of it, you and I. We've been the Up and the Down of it, and the Left and the Right of it. We've been the Here and the There of it, and the Now and the Then of it. We've been the Big and the Small of it, the Male and the Female of it and the Good and the Bad of it. We've been the All of it."

"And we've done it by agreement, so that each of us might experience ourselves as the grandest part of God. For we have understood that...

'In the absence of that which You Are Not, that which you Are, is Not'.

'In the absence of cold you cannot be warm, in the absence of sad you cannot be happy. Without a thing called evil, the experience you call good cannot exist'.

'If you choose to be a thing, something or someone opposite to that has to show up somewhere in your universe to make that possible.' "

The friendly soul then explained that those people are God's Special Angels and these conditions God's Gifts.

"I ask only one thing in return," the friendly soul declared.

"Anything, Anything," the little soul cried. He was excited now to know that he could experience every divine aspect of God. He understood now, The Plan.

"In the moment that I strike you and smite you," said the friendly soul, "in the moment that I do the worst to you that you could ever imagine - in that self same moment...remember Who I Really Am."

"Oh, I wont forget!" promised the little soul. "I will see you in the perfection with which I hold you now, and I will remember Who You Are, always."

subhasrini
    OM SAI SRI SAI JAYA JAYA SAI!!!
    Let us pray at the feet of Sai Baba who is the incarnation of all gods and protector of all, to show mercy on us, and increase our devotion towards him.
    A Person, who has controlled his mind, can achieve any success in his life. How far you are trying to control your mind?
    The mind that judges not others ever remains tension-free.
    http://lh5.ggpht.com/_lOgd1uS-wX0/TCOlFNMxIBI/AAAAAAAAE88/GpxUgxnwioE/why_fear_when_i_am_here.jpg

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 02:07:38 PM »
  • Publish
  • Precious Gift

A wise woman who was traveling in the mountains found a precious stone in a stream.

The next day she met another traveler who was hungry, and the wise woman opened her bag to share her food. The hungry traveler saw the precious stone and asked the woman to give it to him.

She did so without hesitation.

The traveler left rejoicing in his good fortune. He knew the stone was worth enough to give him security for a lifetime. But, a few days later, he came back to return the stone to the wise woman.

"I've been thinking," he said.

"I know how valuable this stone is, but I give it back in the hope that you can give me something even more precious. Give me what you have within you that enabled you to give me this stone."

Sometimes it's not the wealth you have but what's inside you that others need.

subhasrini
    Let us pray at the feet of Sai Baba who is the incarnation of all gods and protector of all, to show mercy on us, and increase our devotion towards him.
    A Person, who has controlled his mind, can achieve any success in his life. How far you are trying to control your mind?
    http://lh5.ggpht.com/_lOgd1uS-wX0/TCOlFNMxIBI/AAAAAAAAE88/GpxUgxnwioE/why_fear_when_i_am_here.jpg

Offline Ramesh Ramnani

• Blessings 60
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #5 on: May 16, 2005, 09:37:33 PM »
  • Publish
  • JAI SAI RAM!!!

NICE ONE!!! This is what we should ask from OUR SADGURU SAINATH MAHARAJ.  That is why he is waiting for us to ask for what he has.

OM SAI RAM

Offline Ramesh Ramnani

• Blessings 60
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #6 on: May 19, 2005, 01:25:13 AM »
  • Publish
  • FREEDOM

Young King Arthur was ambushed and imprisoned by the monarch of a neighboring kingdom. The monarch could have killed him, but was moved by Arthur's youthful happiness. So he offered him freedom, as long as he could answer a very difficult question. Arthur would have a year to figure out the answer; if, after a year, he still had no answer, he would be killed.

The question was: What do women really want?

Such a question would perplex even the most knowledgeable man, and, to young Arthur, it seemed an impossible query. Well, since it was better than death, he accepted the monarch's proposition to have an answer by year's end.

He returned to his kingdom and began to poll everybody: the princess, the prostitutes, the priests, the wise men, the court jester. In all, he spoke with everyone but no one could give him a satisfactory answer.

What most people did tell him was to consult the old witch, as only she would know the answer. The price would be high, since the witch was famous throughout the kingdom for the exorbitant prices she charged.

The last day of the year arrived and Arthur had no alternative but to talk to the witch. She agreed to answer his question, but he'd have to accept her price first: The old witch wanted to marry Gawain, the most noble of the Knights of the Round Table and Arthur's closest friend!

Young Arthur was horrified: she was hunchbacked and awfully hideous, had only one tooth, smelled like sewage water, often made obscene noises...He had never run across such a repugnant creature. He refused to force his friend to marry her and have to endure such a burden.

Gawain, upon learning of the proposal, spoke with Arthur. He told him that nothing was too big of a sacrifice compared to Arthur's life and the preservation of the Round Table.

Hence, their wedding was proclaimed, and the witch answered Arthur's question:

What a woman really wants is to be able to be in charge of her own life.

Everyone instantly knew that the witch had uttered a great truth and that Arthur's life would be spared. And so it went. The neighboring monarch spared Arthur's life and granted him total freedom.
    What a wedding Gawain and the witch had! Arthur was torn between relief and anguish. Gawain was proper as always, gentle and courteous. The old witch put her worst manners on display. She ate with her hands, belched and farted, and made everyone uncomfortable.
    The wedding night approached: Gawain, steeling himself for a horrific night, entered the bedroom. What a sight awaited! The most beautiful woman he'd ever seen lay before him! Gawain was astounded and asked what had happened.

The beauty replied that since he had been so kind to her (when she'd been a witch), half the time she would be her horrible, deformed self, and the other half, she would be her beautiful maiden elf.
    Which would he want her to be during the day and which during the night? What a cruel question? Gawain began to think of his predicament: During the day a beautiful woman to show off to his friends, but at night, in the privacy of his home, an old spooky witch? Or would he prefer having by day a hideous witch, but by night a beautiful woman to enjoy many intimate moments?
    What would you do?

What Gawain chose follows below, but don't read until you've made your own choice.

Noble Gawain replied that he would let her choose for herself. Upon hearing this, she announced that she would be beautiful all the time, because he had respected her and had let her be in charge of her own life.

This story reminds me of a very beautiful quote* - "If you love something set it free. If it comes back to you, it is yours. If it doesn't, it never was". Isn't that the very essence of unconditional love?

For all of you out there - don't just read this story but please understand and recognize its intrinsic truth. That is the essence of what a person really wants - Freedom to make his/her own choices. The ability to live our life in all its completeness.

Offline sangeetha

• Blessings 1
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #7 on: May 19, 2005, 02:09:27 AM »
  • Publish
  • thank you Ramesh uncle..and Subhasriniji..for the lovely stories..very valuable ones..thanks

"I am Ever living to help and guide all, who come to me, who surrender to me and who seek refuge in me.- Baba"

Sangeetha
    "I am Ever living to help and guide all, who come to me, who surrender to me and who seek refuge in me.- Baba"

Sangeetha

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #8 on: May 19, 2005, 12:00:15 PM »
  • Publish
  • The Kitten and the Baby Monkey

There are two interesting species that care for their young in different ways. One is the cat and the other the monkey. The kittens don’t move by themselves even an inch. It just goes on meowing and it is the mother cat, who with gentle love and affection lifts the kitten by holding its neck with its teeth (not hurting it at all) and goes from place to place and deposits the kitten wherever it wants. The monkey presents an interesting contrast. The baby monkey holds firm to the underside of the belly of its mother and the mother moves from place to place sometimes even jumping from branch to branch of trees at great height. The baby monkey just holds firm its mother and doesn't let go even when the mother jumps at great heights from tree branch to tree branch. Even if the baby is bruised in the process, it doesn't let go since instinct tells it that death is certain if it relaxes its grip. Thus in both cases, the mother carries the baby. But what a contrast? In the case of the monkey, it is the baby, which is responsible for holding on. In the case of the kitten it is the mother cat which takes the responsibility to hold its baby. These two are usually used as illustrations to represent the relationship between the devotee and the God. (In Sanskrit, they are known as Marjala Kishora Nyaya and Markata Kishora Nyaya). In the case of the devotee who is not fully free of ego, it is his responsibility to hold on to his Ishta Devata in spite of any troubles (which are to test his steadfast devotion). But once he makes contact with his God and starts getting benefit, and his ego dissolves, the devotee becomes like a kitten and it now becomes the responsibility of God like the mother cat to take care of the devotee. Thus while both the baby monkey and the kitten are good models for devotees to follow, the kitten represents the true Saranagati, i.e. a devotee who has totally surrendered himself to God. So let us all become kittens or if that much change is difficult, let us start by being baby monkeys and hold on firmly to God.

Om Sai Sri Sai Jai Jai Sai.

subhasrini

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #9 on: May 20, 2005, 02:41:50 PM »
  • Publish
  • Let There Be Peace

A wise old gentleman retired and purchased a modest home near a junior high school. He spent the first few weeks of his retirement in peace and contentment . . . then a new school year began. The very next afternoon three young boys, full of
    youthful, after-school enthusiasm, came down his street, beating merrily on every trash can they encountered. The crashing percussion continued day after day, until finally the wise old man decided it was time to take some action.

The next afternoon, he walked out to meet the young percussionists as they banged their way down the street. Stopping them, he said, "You kids are a lot of fun. I like to see you express your exuberance like that. Used to do the same thing when I was your age. Will you do me a favor? I'll give you each a dollar if you'll promise to come around every day and do your thing."

The kids were elated and continued to do a bang-up job on the trash cans. After a few days, the old-timer greeted the kids again, but this time he had a sad smile on his face. "This recession's really putting a big dent in my income," he told them. "From now on, I'll only be able to pay you 50 cents to beat on the cans." The noisemakers were obviously displeased, but they did accept his offer and continued their afternoon ruckus.

A few days later, the wily retiree approached them again as they drummed their way down the street. "Look," he said, "I haven't received my Social Security check yet, so I'm not going to be able to give you more than 25 cents. Will that be okay?"

"A lousy quarter?" the drum leader exclaimed. "If you think we're going to waste our time, beating these cans around for a quarter, you're nuts! No way, mister. We quit!"

And the old man enjoyed peace and serenity for the rest of his days.

subhasrini

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #10 on: May 20, 2005, 02:44:55 PM »
  • Publish
  • How Much Does A Prayer Weigh?

God's giving is inseparable connected with our asking. "You do not have, because you do not ask." (James 4:2 NRSV)

Many years ago, just after World War I, there was a grocer who tried to weigh a prayer. During the week before Christmas a woman came into his store and asked for food to make a Christmas dinner for her children. He asked her how much she had to spend.

She answered, "My husband was killed in the war. I have nothing to offer but a prayer.'

The grocer said gruffly, "Write it down," and went about his business. To his surprise, the woman took a slip of paper out of her purse and handed it to him. "I did that during the night while I was watching over my sick baby," she said. The grocer took the paper and callously placed it on the weight side of his old-fashioned scales.

He said, "I'll give you the weight of food equal to the weight of this prayer." To his great astonishment, when he put a loaf of bread on the other side of the scale it didn't budge. Startled, he added a brick of cheese, and then a turkey, but it still didn't move. Finally, he had loaded so much food on the scale it couldn't hold any more.

He handed the woman a bag and said, "You'll have to sack it all yourself," then turned away. It was only after the woman left, tears of joy streaming down her face, that he discovered his scale had broken at the precise moment he placed her prayer on it. For the first time, he looked down to read what the woman had written:

"Please, God, give us this day our daily bread."

subhasrini

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #11 on: May 20, 2005, 02:54:33 PM »
  • Publish
  • Three Trees

Once there were three trees on a hill in a woods. They were discussing their hopes and dreams when the first tree said "Someday I hope to be a treasure chest. I could be filled with gold, silver and precious gems. I could be decorated with intricate carving and everyone would see the beauty." Then the second tree said "Someday I will be a mighty ship. I will take kings and queens across the waters and sail to the corners of the world. Everyone will feel safe in me because of the strength of my hull."

Finally the third tree said. "I want to grow to be the tallest and straightest tree in the forest. People will see me on top of the hill and look up to my branches, and think of the heavens and God and how close to them I am reaching. I will be the greatest tree of all time and people will always remember me."

After a few years of praying that their dreams would come true, a group of woodsmen came upon the trees. When one came to the first tree he said, "This looks like a strong tree, I think I should be able to sell the wood to a carpenter. and he began cutting it down. The tree was happy, because he knew that the carpenter would make him into a treasure chest.

At the second tree a woodsman said, "This looks like a strong tree, I should be able to sell it to the shipyard." The second tree was happy because he knew he was on his way to becoming a mighty ship. When the woodsmen came upon the third tree, the tree was frightened because he knew that if they cut him down his dreams would not come true. One of the woodsman said, "I don't need anything special from my tree so I'll take this one and he cut it down."

When the first tree arrived at the carpenters, he was made into a feed box for animals. He was then placed in a barn and filled with hay. This was not at all what he had prayed for. The second tree was cut and made into a small fishing boat. His dreams of being a mighty ship and carrying kings had come to an end. The third tree was cut into large pieces and left alone in the dark.

The years went by, and the trees forgot about their dreams. Then one day, a man and women came to the barn. She gave birth and they placed the baby in the hay in the feed box that was made from the first tree. The man wished that he could have made a crib for the baby, but this manger would have to do. The tree could feel the importance of this event and knew that it had held the greatest treasure of all time.

Years later, a group of men got in the fishing boat made from the second tree. One of them was tired and went to sleep. While they were out on the water, a great storm arose and the tree didn't think it was strong enough to keep the men safe. The men woke the sleeping man, and he stood and said "peace" and the storm stopped.

At this time, the tree knew that it had carried the king of kings in it's boat.

Finally, someone came and got the third tree. It was carried through the streets as the people mocked the man who was carrying it. When they came to a stop, the man was nailed to the tree and raised in the air to die at the top of a hill. When Sunday came, the tree came to realize that it was strong enough to stand at the top of the hill and be as close to God as was possible, because Jesus had been crucified on it."

The moral of this story is that when things don't seem to be going your way, always know that God has a plan for you. If you place your trust in Him, He will give you great gifts. Each of the trees got what they wanted, just not in the way they had imagined.

subhasrini

Offline Ramesh Ramnani

• Blessings 60
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #12 on: May 21, 2005, 04:16:32 AM »
  • Publish
  • JAI SAI RAM SUBHASRINIJI!!!

NICE AND EDUCATIVE STORIES!!!

OM SAI RAM!!!

Offline Ramesh Ramnani

• Blessings 60
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #13 on: May 21, 2005, 04:23:12 AM »
  • Publish
  • "LOVE - DELIGHTFUL CONTENTMENT" : PART I

I recall the story of a fakir who lived in a small hut. One night, about midnight, it was raining heavily and the fakir and his wife were asleep. Suddenly, there was a knock on the door: someone wanted shelter.

The fakir woke his wife. "Somebody is outside," he said. "Some traveler, some unknown friend."

Have you noticed? He said, "Some unknown friend." You do not even befriend those you know. His attitude was one of love. The fakir said, "Some unknown friend is waiting outside. Please open the door." His wife said, "There is no room. There is not even enough room for the two of us. How can one more person come in?"

The fakir replied, "My dear, this is not the palace of a rich man. It cannot become any smaller. A rich man's palace seems smaller if even one more guest arrives, but this is the hut of a poor man."
    His wife asked, "How does the question of poor and rich come into this? The plain fact is that this is a very small hut!"

The fakir answered, "If there is enough room in your heart, you will feel that this hut is a palace, but if your heart is narrow, even a palace would seem small. Please open the door. How can we refuse a man who has come to our door? Up to now, we have been lying down.

Three may not be able to lie down, but at least three can sit. There is room for another if we all sit."

The wife had to open the door. The man came in, soaking wet. They sat together and started to chat. After a while, two more people came and knocked on the door.

The fakir said, "It seems someone else has come," and asked the guest sitting nearest the door to open it. The man said, "Open the door? There is no space." The man, who had himself taken shelter in this hut moments before, forgot that it was not the fakir's love for him that had given him a place, but that he had found shelter because there was love in the hut. And now, some new people had come. And love must accommodate the newcomers.

But the man said, "No, it is not necessary to open the door. Don't you see the difficulty we're having, squatting here?"

The fakir said, "My dear man, didn't I make room for you? You were allowed in because there is love here. It is still here; it has not ended with you. Open the door, please. Now we are sitting apart from each other, so we will simply huddle together. Moreover, the night is cold and it will give us warmth and pleasure to sit so snugly together."

The door was opened and the two newcomers came in. They all sat together and began to get acquainted.

Contd.....
    « Last Edit: May 21, 2005, 04:29:08 AM by Ramesh Ramnani »

Offline Dipika

• Blessings 9
    « Reply #14 on: May 21, 2005, 06:23:16 AM »
  • Publish
  • OMSAIRAM Ramesh uncle ji and Subasrini ji,Very nice articles.
    I just loved the quote - "If you love something set it free. If it comes back to you, it is yours. If it doesn't, it never was".

Sai baba let your holy lotus feet be our sole refuge.OMSAIRAM

dipika duggal
    साईं बाबा अपने पवित्र चरणकमल ही हमारी एकमात्र शरण रहने दो.ॐ साईं राम

Dipika Duggal

Facebook Comments