Join Sai Baba Announcement List

DOWNLOAD SAMARPAN - Nov 2018

Author Topic: STORY OF THE DAY  (Read 136902 times)

Offline Ramesh Ramnani

• Blessings 60
    • Sai Baba
Re: STORY OF THE DAY
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2005, 09:15:38 AM »
  • Publish
  • "LOVE - DELIGHTFUL CONTENTMENT" : PART-II

Contd...

Then, a donkey came and pushed at the door with its head. The donkey was wet; it wanted shelter for the night.

The fakir asked one of the men, who was almost sitting on top of the door, to open it. "Some new friend has come," the fakir said.
    Peeking outside, the man said, "This isn't a friend or anything like a friend. It's just an ass. It's not necessary to open up."

The fakir said, "Perhaps you are not aware that at the door of the rich, men are treated as animals, but this is the hut of a poor fakir and we are accustomed to treating even animals as human beings. Please open the door."

In unison, the men groaned, "But the space?"

"There is plenty of space. Instead of sitting, we can all stand. Don't be upset. If it becomes necessary, I will go outside and make enough room."

Can love not do this much as well?

It is imperative to have a heart full of love. A loving attitude is what we all should have.

Humanness is only born in a man when he has a loving heart. And with a loving heart comes a feeling of deep contentment, a deep and delightful contentment. Have you never noticed, after you've shown a little love to someone, that a great wave of contentment, a great thrill of joy pervades your entire being? Have you never realized that the most serene moments of contentment were those which came in moments of unconditional love?

Pure love can only survive if it is not adulterated by conditions; a conditional love is not love.  

Have you never had a feeling of contentment after having smiled at a stranger in the street? Didn't a breeze of peace follow it? There is no limit to the wave of tranquil joy you will feel when you lift a fallen man, when you support a fallen person, when you present a sick man with flowers -- but not when you do it because he is your father or because she is your mother. No, the person may not be anyone in particular to you, but simply to give a gift is itself a great reward, a great pleasure.

Love should well up inside you -- love for plants, love for human beings, love for strangers, love for foreigners, love for those on their way toward the moon and the stars. Your love should be ever on the increase.

OM SAI RAM!!!
    अपना साँई प्यारा साँई सबसे न्यारा अपना साँई - रमेश रमनानी

Offline Ramesh Ramnani

• Blessings 60
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #16 on: May 22, 2005, 05:34:45 AM »
  • Publish
  • Things Aren't Always As They Seem

Two traveling angels stopped to spend the night in the home of a wealthy family.

The family was rude and refused to let the angels stay in the mansion's guest room. Instead the angels were given a small space in the cold basement.

As they made their bed on the hard floor, the older angel saw a hole in the wall and repaired it.

When the younger angel asked why, the older angel replied, "Things aren't always what they seem."

The next night the pair came to rest at the house of a very poor, but very hospitable farmer and his wife. After sharing what little food they had the couple let the angels sleep in their bed where they could have a good night's rest.

When the sun came up the next morning the angels found the farmer and his wife in tears. Their only cow, whose milk had been their sole income, lay dead in the field.

The younger angel was infuriated and asked the older angel how could you have let this happen? The first man had everything, yet you helped him, she accused. The second family had little but was willing to share everything, and you let the cow die.

"Things aren't always what they seem," the older angel replied.

"When we stayed in the basement of the mansion, I noticed there was gold stored in that hole in the wall. Since the owner was so obsessed with greed and unwilling to share his good fortune, I sealed the wall so he wouldn't find it."

"Then last night as we slept in the farmers bed, the angel of death came for his wife. I gave him the cow instead. Things aren't always what they seem."

Sometimes that is exactly what happens when things don't turn out the way they should. If you have faith, you just need to trust that every outcome is always to your advantage. You might not know it until some time later...

Offline sangeetha

• Blessings 1
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #17 on: May 22, 2005, 06:04:52 AM »
  • Publish
  • excellent stories Ramesh uncle..and Subhaji..

"I am Ever living to help and guide all, who come to me, who surrender to me and who seek refuge in me.- Baba"

Sangeetha
    "I am Ever living to help and guide all, who come to me, who surrender to me and who seek refuge in me.- Baba"

Sangeetha

Offline snatarajan

• Blessings 0
      • http://www.snatarajan.50megs.com/
    « Reply #18 on: May 23, 2005, 12:20:57 AM »
  • Publish
  • Om Sai Ram,

What a stories, Thanks Ramesh Ji and All for posting grate stuffs.

Om Sai Ram,
    Natarajan S.

Offline Ramesh Ramnani

• Blessings 60
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #19 on: May 23, 2005, 09:16:50 AM »
  • Publish
  • It is like an ancient story. It was a full moon night and a thief had stolen much jewelry. And of course he was afraid. He was running, and suddenly he heard some steps following him.

It almost always happens -- if you have ever tried running in the dark -- you hear your own footsteps and you feel as if somebody is following you.

And when he looked, he found somebody actually was following him; it was his own shadow. But he was not in a situation to figure out who it was. His problem was somehow to escape out of its clutches. He ran faster, but he heard the follower also running faster. And he went on looking back and he found that it was just behind him. The poor fellow was tired, utterly tired, but could not get rid of his shadow. Exhausted, he fell under a tree where the moonlight did not go and he looked all around and he wondered where the other fellow had gone -- just now he was behind him, so close.

Gathering courage, looking all around, he could not see him anywhere; but then he came out of the shadow of the tree and again he was behind him. But this time he could not be deceived, he turned around and looked at the fellow. It was no one. It was his own shadow.

Many of our problems -- perhaps most of our problems -- are because we have never looked at them face to face, never encountered them; and not looking at them is giving them energy, being afraid of them is giving them energy, always trying to avoid them is giving them energy -- because you are accepting them. Your very acceptance is their existence. Other than your acceptance, they don't exist. So if you open your closets, and take your light, and look at the skeletons, you will find they are dead.

Skeletons cannot do anything, but almost everybody is afraid of skeletons. It is a strange situation. You are not afraid of living people who can do damage to you, who can even kill you -- and they are all hiding a skeleton underneath just skin deep, and they are living people. But if you suddenly come across in a room a poor skeleton who has no life, you become so afraid. What can the skeleton do to you?

Give life to things which are beautiful. Don't give life to ugly things. You don't have much time, much energy to waste. With such a small life, with such a small energy source, it is simply stupid to waste it in sadness, in anger, in hatred, in jealousy.

Use it in love, use it in some creative act, use it in friendship, use it in meditation; do something with it which takes you higher. And the higher you go, the more energy sources become available to you.

Offline Ramesh Ramnani

• Blessings 60
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #20 on: May 24, 2005, 10:45:49 AM »
  • Publish
  • TRANSFORMATION

One day I asked a scarecrow standing in the middle of the field:

'Do you not get bored standing still in this field?' It replied, 'Oh! the pleasure of scaring the birds is so much that I am not at all aware how and when the time passes!' After a moment of contemplation I said: 'This is true because I also have the experience of this pleasure.'

The scarecrow said, 'Yes, only those whose body is stuffed with straw and grass can be familiar with this pleasure!'"

But everybody seems to be familiar with this pleasure. Is not straw and grass stuffed inside all of us too? Are not we also false men standing in the field?

This is the pleasure after witnessing which I have just returned. Is not the same pleasure going on over the mound of this whole earth?

I ask this to myself and weep. I weep for that man who can be born but has not been born; who is within everyone but is hidden as the embers are hidden in the ashes.

In reality the body is no more than a heap of straw and grass, and for anyone who stops at that it would have been better if he were in some field because then at least he would have served the purpose of saving the crop from the birds. Man is not even that useful!

No one becomes really man without knowing that which is beyond the body; no one becomes man without knowing the soul. To be born in the form of man is one thing and to BE Man is entirely different.

Man has to give birth to himself within himself. It is not like garments with which one can cover oneself. No one becomes man just by covering himself with the garments of man, because they keep him man only so long as the actual necessity for being Man does not arise. As the necessity arises, one does not even know when the garment falls off!

Just as a seed becomes a sprout by transforming its being -- not by wearing any garments -- similarly man also has to transmute his entire life source into a totally new dimension.

Only then is he born, only then the transformation.

Then his pleasure does not lie in scattering or sowing thorns but is transformed into picking the thorns and scattering flowers. It is at this moment that it becomes evident that he is no longer straw and grass now, he is man; he is not the body, he is the soul.

Offline Ramesh Ramnani

• Blessings 60
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #21 on: May 25, 2005, 09:37:09 PM »
  • Publish
  • FROM SHORE TO INFINITE

One dark, cold night, a hermit was staying in a temple. In order to ward off the cold, he was burning a wooden statue of the temple deity but, sensing the blazing fire, the priest awoke. When he saw the statue burning, he was stunned. Overcome with anger, he could not utter a word, so unthinkable was the act. Then he noticed that the hermit was searching for something in the heap of ashes. The priest asked him, "Whatever are you doing now?"

The hermit replied, "I am searching for the bones of the deity's body." At this, the madness of the hermit became clear to the priest. He said to the hermit, "Madman, how can there be bones in a wooden statue?" The hermit replied, "Then please do me the favor of bringing another statue. The night is long and very cold."

When I think of this story, it appears to me that I myself am that mad hermit.

If only we were free of images so that we could see the imageless! If we persist with the form, we cannot reach the formless. With our eyes fixed on the external, how can we leap into the ocean of the infinite? Can someone who worships something outside himself return into himself? Throw the corporeal to the flames so that only the incorporeal remains.

Let the massed clouds of form be scattered so that the formless sky may be attained. Let the form melt, so that the boat may reach the ocean of the formless. He who launches his boat from the shore of the finite certainly reaches the infinite, and becomes one with it.

Offline Ramesh Ramnani

• Blessings 60
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #22 on: May 27, 2005, 12:36:09 PM »
  • Publish
  • IT IS RIGHT NOW.........

Once an emperor was very upset with his son and sent him into exile. Because he was an emperor's son, the boy didn't know how to do anything. He had never done anything else -- he could only beg. When an emperor is no longer an emperor, begging is the only thing he can do.

He began begging. Twenty years passed and he completely forgot: can anyone begging twenty years remember he is an emperor? Impossible. It is difficult, it would make begging difficult. It is better to forget it. So he forgot; otherwise how could he beg? An emperor and begging! Door to door, holding his begging bowl, standing in front of hotels and restaurants begging, asking for leftovers? An emperor! He had to forget the emperor. It had to be wiped out of his memory. It was finished, that chapter was closed. It was like a dream, like a story he had read long ago or a movie he had once seen. What did it have to do with him?

Twenty years later when the emperor, the father, became old, he got upset -- he had only one son and that son would be the ruler. He said to his ministers, "Go and find him. And wherever he is bring him back. Tell him his father has pardoned him.

It is not a question of pardoning or not pardoning: I am dying. Who will look after the kingdom? It is better that it stay in the hands of my own blood rather than go to someone else. However he may be, good or bad, bring him back."

The ministers found the prince standing in front of a dining hall with his broken bowl, begging for money. He was naked. He had no shoes on his feet. It was mid-afternoon, in the heat of summer, a hot wind blowing. His feet were burning and he was begging for a little money to buy shoes. He had a little change in his bowl.

The chariot came and stopped. The minister got down and fell at his feet-he was the future emperor. As the minister touched his feet, in a flash it happened, it all came back. For twenty years he had not remembered that he was an emperor. Now to remember he had no need to sit and think, contemplate, do austerities, meditate. No, within one second, not even a second -- in a moment the transformation happened.

The man became something else. He was still a beggar, impoverished. He was still naked, still he had no shoes on his feet. He threw away his begging bowl and told the ministers to arrange for his bath and make arrangements for proper clothing. He stepped forward and mounted his chariot. His glory was a sight to see. He was still the same, but his face was majestic, his eyes were shining, there was a splendor all around.

He was an emperor. The memory returned. His father had sent the invitation. It is just like this.

When BABA says here and now, HE is saying the same: however long you have traveled -- twenty years, even twenty lives.... You have been in exile, you have begged long, you have totally forgotten. The memory is sound asleep -- it had to be put to sleep. If the memory were not asleep, begging would have been impossible. You wandered from door to door with a begging bowl. BABA is saying, "The invitation has arrived. Wake up! You are not a beggar! You are the son of an emperor!"

If someone listens rightly, the happening takes place just by listening. This is the greatness, the glory of the SAI SACHARITRA. There is no insistence on doing anything. Just listen, just let the truth reach your heart. Don't come in the way, just be receptive. Just listen, let the arrow reach your heart. Its impact is enough. The forgetfulness of many many lives will break open, the memory will come back: you are God. Hence BABA says right here, right now.

Don't find excuses. You say, perhaps this is a method, a device, to increase urgency, to increase intensity in YOU.

Offline Ramesh Ramnani

• Blessings 60
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #23 on: May 29, 2005, 01:19:08 AM »
  • Publish
  • I am not a Hindu,
    Nor a Muslim am I!

Once a neighbouring sultan visited Benares, the king, an admirer of Kabir, was persuaded to summon the poet for the sultan’s inspection.

To the shock of all present, Kabir, rather than bowing and humbling himself, merely offered a common greeting no different than he would to any man. When asked to explain his behaviour, Kabir noted that there is only one king in the world — God. “Within the Hindu and the Muslim,” he added, “dwells the same God.”

The sultan, although not entirely a noble ruler, saw something in Kabir’s remarks. He was impressed by Kabir’s candor. He knew that it was no ordinary man who stood before him, but a true lover of God. Kabir’s transgressions were dismissed.

It was however the priests, both Hindu and Muslim, who, in alliance, campaigned and organized a case against the poet-saint. Assembling allies and witnesses in a political move against Kabir, who they felt was threatening their authority in the community, they forced him to return to the court to face trial. On his return, Kabir only smiled. “All my life,” he began, “I have tried to impress upon the Hindus and Muslims that God is one, the Father of both. I pleaded with them to join hands in worshipping the Lord of All, but they rejected my plea. They could never stand together in the court of the King of kings, but today it amuses me to see them standing united in the court of a worldly king, a mortal like all others.”

This was too much. The united front of the Muslim and Hindu “holy men” convinced the sultan of Kabir’s guilt as a heretic. Kabir was sentenced to death by drowning, but when thrown to the river his chain broke and Kabir floated away unharmed. The charge of magician was added and Kabir was set out to be trampled by an elephant, but the animal would not cooperate. “In its heart, too,” Kabir explained, “dwells the Lord.” Not to give up in defeat, the conspirators put Kabir to a fire. This time, however, he emerged, it is said, emitting a divine radiance.

Everyone was speechless in awe, including the sultan. To his credit, the sultan ordered Kabir freed of his ties. He approached the poet with remorse and guilt. “I did not realize your greatness,” he said at last. “Please forgive me.” He stood before the saint, eyes downcast, awaiting his judgement.

“You are not at fault,” Kabir said with the graciousness only possible in a saint. “Such was the will of God. Look up, O Sultan. Don’t feel sad. Forget what has happened. The Lord is all love and mercy. In His court true repentance never goes unrewarded.”

As Kabir says, “Forgiveness is a game that only the saints play.”

Like Gnyaneshwara before him and Guru Nanak and Sai Baba of Shirdi, who were to follow, Kabir strove for the One Truth. He described himself as the son of both Ram and Allah:

I am not a Hindu,
    Nor a Muslim am I!
    I am this body, a play
    Of five elements; a drama
    Of the spirit dancing
    With joy and sorrow

Kabir urged introspection:

You were born on Earth as human,
    Why are you in slumber now?
    Take care of yourself;
    Yourself is what you have to know.
    The learned pundit gives discourse,
    Not knowing God is near;
    He does not know God dwells in him,
    So seeks him here and there.
    « Last Edit: May 29, 2005, 01:21:28 AM by Ramesh Ramnani »

Offline Ramesh Ramnani

• Blessings 60
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #24 on: May 31, 2005, 09:22:09 PM »
  • Publish
  • GURU GOVIND DOI KHARE, KAKE LAAGUN PAE
    BALIHARI GURU AAPAKI, GOVIND DIYO BATAE

Kabir says: The Master and God both are standing in front of me, and I am in a confusion: whose feet to touch first? The Master's feet or God's feet? -- because it is the Master who has shown me God; he should be respected first. But when God is standing there, how can you respect the Master first? You have to bow down to God.

And Kabir says: But my Master was so great that he immediately looked at me and showed me the feet of God. "Touch the feet of God, forget all about me."

Buddha says: If you meet me on the way, kill me imme-diately. Don't let me stand between you and the ultimate.

The Master knocks on the door and goes on knocking. The moment you will open the door, the Master will disappear; he will not stand in the way.  

That is the differ-ence between the true Master and the pseudo Master. The pseudo Master will stand between you and God. The true Master will disappear. The moment you are awake you will find God, and the Master is not standing there any-where. But because the Master disappears he creates more respect and more love in you.

I have always wondered about this small statement of Kabir: Whose feet to touch first? And great is my Master who has shown immediately the feet of God to me.

But I have wondered whose feet Kabir really DID touch first. As far as I can see, he must have touched the feet of the Master, because he says: Great is the Master who has shown me the feet of God. Now how can you help not touching the feet of the Master first?

Buddha says: Kill me if I come in the way. And the disciples who became enlightened continued to touch Buddha's feet. Buddha said, "Now there is no need. You are as much enlightened as I am, because in enlightenment there are no degrees. You have come home, you are a Buddha yourself -- no need to touch my feet." But they continued, out of deep gratitude.

Offline Ramesh Ramnani

• Blessings 60
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #25 on: June 04, 2005, 09:17:10 PM »
  • Publish
  • "Wrappings?"

Once upon a time long ago, God decided to give a special gift to human beings, for they were very dear to Him.

He decided to make a dwelling place in each human heart where he would live forever. In this special place God’s children would know Him as he truly is and be one with Him. Here they would be happy and filled with peace. It was surely the most precious gift ever given.

But God thought, “What is a gift without beautiful wrappings?” So he veiled his wonderful gift with a most enchanting and attractive covering called Maya. Just a glimpse of this paper was enough to make the human race aware of their freedom of choice, aware of their individual uniqueness, aware of their senses so that they could touch and be touched by the world around them.

This wrapping was laced with clear mountain streams, beautiful green valleys, life-long friendships and wonderful romances. It bore the fragrance of exotic fruits, deep secret forests and delicate flowers. It was so magnificent that it almost had the appearance of life itself.

Truly, any wrapping less magnificent wouldn’t have done justice to God’s precious gift.

So with great joy He carefully folded and secured the paper of Maya around each gift and gave one to each of His children. Needless to say, they were all very pleased with the gifts - they cherished and loved them. To receive a gift is wonderful, but to receive one from God is more than that – it is divine!

But …. The story does not end here. You see the human race was so excited to get such  beautifully wrapped presents that they didn’t think to look inside. In fact they didn’t know there was anything except the enchanting wrappings. For a long time they just sat and gazed at it.

God smiled and waited. But everyone still sat looking at their presents and feeling the paper. A few people would raise their heads to thank God and then quickly look down at them again. Most of them were so engrossed that they didn’t even realize anyone else was around – nor did they care!

God gave those who thanked Him a little nudge, “Please look inside,”He said, “there’s much more.” But they didn’t understand what He was saying. “Look inside? Inside at what?”

God chuckled, “Here let me show you,” and He very gently tore at a few people’s presents. When they saw the rips they were broken hearted. They cried and wailed. In between sobs and sniffles they said things to God like, “You  Meany! You ruined my whole life.” And: “You are supposed to be kind and loving! Why did you rip my gift.”

The sound of the wailing was almost deafening. And it all seemed sort of silly to God. Here they were crying over the wrapping paper. How could they expect to find the true gift without removing the wrapping? Still, God felt great compassion; they were so young and inexperienced. He knew the crying would stop when they discovered the true gifts. But how long would that take?

After a while God noticed a small child who wasn’t crying like everyone else. “You don’t seem so upset; why not?”

"Well," she answered, “I don’t understand why you ripped my package; but I figure You gave it to me; so You must know what You are doing.”

God smiled. “I’ll show you the real gift.” He picked up her package and gently tore it open. it was painful for the child to see her beautiful wrapping fall to the floor, but when she looked up, a smile came to her face, and her eyes filled with a warm golden glow. Tears of  joy rolled down her cheeks and she tried to thank God for the inner gift.

And upon looking down upon herself she saw that she had been transformed from a little child to a radiant woman - a mature being who shone with the pure light of love. Her light was so bright that it made a few humans look up from their Maya-covered gifts. When they saw her, they knew that something miraculous had taken place. Some couldn’t understand how she could be so happy without the wrapping papers. Others called out, “Please teach us what You know”

She looked at them and smiled, “I am no different from you. I have merely uncovered the gift we all have.”

A small group gathered around her. “How can we find this gift? Must we travel far?”

“No,” she said, “You don’t need to. Just don’t be afraid when troubles beset you and your life seems to be falling apart -This is just the outer layer falling away- don’t cling to or try to wrap the tattered remains around you. Instead give yourself over to God so that He may hasten the unwrapping of your gift. For once the paper is gone you will see that place where we are all joined with God.”

Offline Sushma1

• Blessings 0
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #26 on: June 07, 2005, 06:48:37 PM »
  • Publish
  • Ramesh Ji and Subhasrini Ji,
           It is these stories that attracted me towards this site. Please post more and more stories. I want to learn to purify my heart and reach Sai through these examples.

Thank you very much and thanks to You SAI for making me read it. Could have done something good in my past life that i've got to know about this site.

Offline Ramesh Ramnani

• Blessings 60
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #27 on: June 08, 2005, 05:05:40 PM »
  • Publish
  • DON'T LIVE A LIFE OF LIVING DEATH

A little bunch of wildflowers lived sheltered in the crevices of an old city wall. Winds and storms failed to disturb them since they were well protected by the high walls and crevices. For the same reason the suns rays could not burn them nor could the rains ruin them.

There was a rosebush in the neighborhood of this bunch of wild-flowers. The presence of the gorgeous roses made the wild-flowers feel inferior and ashamed of their own existence. So one fine morning the wild-flowers prayed to God, “so long we have lived as faceless wild-flowers; now please turn us into roses.”

God said in answer, “Why get into unnecessary troubles? The life of a rose is very hard. When there is a storm, it shakes it to its roots . And when it blooms, there is already someone to pluck it. You live a well-protected life. Don’t forsake it”

But the flowers insisted, “We have long lived a sheltered life; we now want to live dangerously. Please make us roses for twenty four hours.”

Other wild-flowers pleaded, “Don’t be crazy. We have heard that a few of our ancestors had to suffer terribly because of this very craze to become a rose . Our racial experience says that we are ok as we are, we should not try to be roses.”

But the little plant again said, “I want to gossip with the stars; I want to fight with the storms; I want to bathe in the rains; I am determined to become a rose.”

At long last God yielded and one fine morning the little bunch of wild-flowers became a rose. And immediately it’s saga of trials and tribulations began. Storms came and shook it’s roots. Rains came and it was drowned in water. The midday sun burned it’s petals  and made it suffer immeasurably. At all times it was exposed to dangers from all sides . Once again the elderly wild-flowers gathered around the newborn rose and said, “We had told you so. Don’t you see how secure you were in your old life? Granted it had it’s problems, but they were old and familiar problems, and we were used to them. It was okay. Do you see what a mess you have made of your life?”

To this the new rose said, "You are fools. I say that it’s far better to be a rose for just twenty four hours and live dangerously than to live in life-long security as little wild-flowers protected by a high wall. It was great to breathe with the storms and fight with the winds. I was in contact with the sun and had a dialogue with the stars. I have achieved my soul and am fulfilled. I lived fully and am going to die fully. As far as you are concerned you live a life of living death.”

Offline Ramesh Ramnani

• Blessings 60
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #28 on: June 18, 2005, 10:57:28 AM »
  • Publish
  • WINDOW

Two men, both seriously ill, occupied the same hospital room. One man was allowed to sit up in his bed for an hour a day to drain the fluids from his lungs. His bed was next to the room's only window. The other man had to spend all his time flat on his back.

The men talked for hours on end. They spoke of their wives and families, their homes, their jobs, their involvement in the military service, where they had been on vacation. And every afternoon when the man in the bed next to the window could sit up, he would pass the time by describing to his roommate all the things he could see outside the window.

The man in the other bed would live for those one-hour periods where his world would be broadened and enlivened by all the activity and color of the outside world.

The window overlooked a park with a lovely lake, the man had said. Ducks and swans played on the water while children sailed their model boats. Lovers walked arm in arm amid flowers of every color of the rainbow. Grand old trees graced the landscape, and a fine view of the city skyline could be seen in the distance. As the man by the window described all this in exquisite detail, the man on the other side of the room would close his eyes and imagine the picturesque scene. One warm afternoon the man by the window described a parade passing by. Although the other man could not hear the band, he could see it in his mind's eye as the gentleman by the window portrayed it with descriptive words. Unexpectedly, an alien thought entered his head: Why should he have all the pleasure of seeing everything while I never get to see anything?

It didn't seem fair. As the thought fermented, the man felt ashamed at first. But as the days passed and he missed seeing more sights, his envy eroded into resentment and soon turned him sour. He began to brood and found himself unable to sleep. He should be by that window --- and that thought now controlled his life.

Late one night, as he lay staring at the ceiling, the man by the window began to cough. He was choking on the fluid in his lungs. The other man watched in the dimly lit room as the struggling man by the window groped for the button to call for help. Listening from across the room, he never moved, never pushed his own button which would have brought the nurse running. In less than five minutes, the coughing and choking stopped, along with the sound of breathing. Now, there was only silence-deathly silence.

The following morning the day nurse arrived to bring water for their baths. When she found the lifeless body of the man by the window, she was saddened and called the hospital attendant to take it away-no works, no fuss.

As soon as it seemed appropriate, the man asked if he could be moved next to the window. The nurse was happy to make the switch and after making sure he was comfortable, she left him alone. Slowly, painfully, he propped himself up on one elbow to take his first look. Finally, he would have the joy of seeing it all himself. He strained to slowly turn to look out the window beside the bed...........

It faced a blank wall........

Offline Ramesh Ramnani

• Blessings 60
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #29 on: June 19, 2005, 12:25:52 AM »
  • Publish
  • THE DUCK

A beautiful message that proves a loving point!

There was a little boy visiting his grandparents on their farm. He was given a slingshot to play with out in the woods. He practised in the woods, but he could never hit the target. Getting a little discouraged, he headed back for dinner.

As he was walking back he saw Grandma's pet duck. Just out of impulse, he let the slingshot fly, hit the duck square in the head, and killed it. He was shocked and grieved. In a panic, he hid the dead duck in the wood pile, only to see his sister watching! Sally had seen it all, but she said nothing.

After lunch the next day Grandma said, "Sally, let's wash the dishes." But Sally said, "Grandma, Johnny told me he wanted to help in the kitchen." Then she whispered to him, "Remember the duck?" So Johnny did the dishes.

Later that day, Grandpa asked if the children wanted to go fishing. Grandma said, "I'm sorry, but I need Sally to help make supper." Sally just smiled and said, "Well that's all right because Johnny told me he wanted to help." She whispered again, "Remember the duck?" So Sally went fishing and Johnny stayed to help.

After several days of Johnny doing both his chores and Sally's he finally couldn't stand it any longer. He came to Grandma and confessed the he had killed the duck.

Grandma knelt down, gave him a hug, and said, "Sweetheart, I know. You see, I was standing at the window and I saw the whole thing. But because I love you, I forgave you. I was just wondering how long you would let Sally make a slave of you."

Thought for the day and every day thereafter:

Whatever is in your past, whatever you have done, the devil keeps throwing it up in your face (lying, debt, fear, hatred, anger, unforgiveness, bitterness, etc.)

Whatever it is, you need to know that God was standing at the window and He saw the whole thing, He has seen your whole life. He wants you to know that He loves you and that you are forgiven.

He's just wondering how long you will let the devil make a slave of you. The great thing about God is that when you ask for forgiveness, He not only forgives you, but He forgets.

Go ahead and make the difference in someone's life today.

Facebook Comments