Join Sai Baba Announcement List

DOWNLOAD SAMARPAN - Nov 2018

Author Topic: SHRI GURU CHARITRA  (Read 102980 times)

Offline san2004

• Blessings 2
    • Sai Baba
SHRI GURU CHARITRA
« on: July 28, 2005, 01:37:48 AM »
  • Publish
  • OM SAI RAM,

Gurur Brahma, Gurur Vishnu, Gurur Devo Maheshwara
    Guru Sakshat Parabrahmah Tasmai Shree Guru Veh Namah
    Introduction
    'Shri Guru Charitra' is the life of 'Shri Guru Dattatreya' (an incarnation of Brahma, Vishnu and Maheshwara). It was originally written in Ovi form (a Marathi Metre) in Marathi by Shri Saraswati Gangadhar, whose ancestor Sayamdev had personally lived and served with devotion, Guru Narasimha Saraswati, an incarnation of Shri Dattatreya about 600 years ago. It was later translated into Sanskrit by Shri Vasudevananda Saraswati (Tembye Swamy), who is regarded by many as an incarnation of Shri Dattatreya and who lived about a hundred years ago. It has been later translated into several other languages.
    This volume is regarded as Divine; capable of blessing one and all who read it with respect and is placed with images of Gods and adored in almost all devotees' houses of Maharashtra. It is much respected and is very popular like Vedas, Ramayan, Mahabharat, Bhagawat and other Puranas in Sanskrit and Dnyaneshwari, Dasbodh, Ekanathi Bhagawat etc. in Marathi. In the last century, it has spread its influence far and wide and legion are the experiences got by those devotees who read it regularly with respect.
    Shri Dattatreya had taken birth at the Ashram of Atri and Anasuya in very very old times (Krita Yug) and it is believed that his two incarnations namely Shripada Shri Vallabha and Shri Narasimha Saraswati had taken place in the Deccan in about the 14th and 15th Century (A.D.) respectively. Shri Manikya Prabhu, Shri Akkalkot Maharaj, Shri Sai Baba of Shirdi and Shri Vasudevananda Saraswati are some of the great Saints who are considered as the Avatars (incarnations) or Amsas (taking a part of His powers) of Shri Dattatreya.
    This is the historical period when the Bahamani Kingdom was split up into five different Kingships, one of which viz.,'Bidar' is mentioned in this volume. "Shri Guru Charitra" depicts the life missions of these two incarnations.
    The original volume contains 52 chapters and it is written in the form of conversation between Naamdharak and his spiritual Guru Shri Siddha Muni, who was a disciple of Shri Narasimha Saraswati. Several miraculous deeds are associated with these two Gurus - 5 such deeds are relating to Shripada Shri Vallabh (chapters 5 to 10) and 26 are relating to Shri Narasimha Saraswati, (chapters 11 to 51) besides many mythological (Puranik) tales have also been narrated in this volume by way of illustration. The main aim of the book is to extol the greatness of the Spiritual preceptor (Guru) and to dispel the ignorant notion that He is just another human.
    According to researches made in connection with Shri Guru Charitra, by a Gurubhakta, Shri R. K. alias Annasaheb Kamat of Durga Datta Mandir, Mashail, Goa, ' Shri Guru Charitra' contains "Shri Guru Geeta" as its 49th chapter. It is composed of 176 Sanskrit slokas and 34 Marathi Ovis - 13 at the beginning and 21 in the end. In some of the latter scripts it seems that this chapter of Shri Guru Geeta is deleted, probably it being in Sanskrit and the 41st chapter is split up into two chapters, keeping the number of chapters the same i.e. 52. The gist of Shri Guru Geeta is included in this volume. (Shri Guru Gita is a dialogue between Shri Siva and His Divine consort Shri Parvati and forms a part of Skandha Puran. It deals with the greatness of Guru and establishes that Guru is Brahma, Guru is Vishnu, Guru is Maheshwara, why, it proclaims, Guru is identical with Para Brahma, Who is considered the Origin of all including the Trinity of Brahma, Vishnu and Maheshwara. Since Sri Dattatreya is also an incarnation of the three Deities, He is revered as the Aadi Guru. Shri Dattatreya is an Avinash Avatar, i.e. He did not shed His body when His mission was completed like Sri Rama, Sri Krishna etc., but is continuing even today. His mission is to help all His devotees cross this Ocean of Worldly existence.)
    The research scholars of Medical Sciences have a good opportunity of thinking over and analysing the means that have been used by Shri Guru for cure of acute gastric pain, leprosy, toxic irritations, revival to life, sterility of females etc. Of course it is an admitted fact that the yogic and Divine power of Shri Guru is mainly responsible for these miracles to a great extent. Shri Sai Baba of Shirdi also performed similar 'miracles' to reinforce the faith of His devotees.
    In order that the general public, males and females, should be acquainted with the contents of this great popular volume, this author made a humble attempt and "Subodh Shri Guru Charitra" in Marathi prose was published in November 1952, on Datta Jayanti (Margashir Poornima).
    It is an experienced fact that the reading of such literature gives mental peace to those who are worried due to different miseries of this worldly life and also encourages and guides them to go ahead on the path of self-emancipation by making their lives sublime and full of highest bliss.

JAI SAI RAM,
    SANJIV

Offline Shammi

• Blessings 0
      • Sai Baba
    Re: SHRI GURU CHARITRA
    « Reply #1 on: July 28, 2005, 04:03:02 AM »
  • Publish
  • SAIRAM

Nice to see this clipping here !!!

Baba u know ur leelas - u  have asked me to read this again

Baba this morning have started Shri Guru Charitra Parayan today
    I love reading this holy book
    Baba ( our guru datta avatar )  help me  complete this saptah reading although i am down with severe cold bcoz of the bad weather
    Guru Deva Datta give me your darshan at  Ganagapur soon

Bow to Sri Sai - Raksha Karo Deva !!!

Offline Shammi

• Blessings 0
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #2 on: July 28, 2005, 04:04:47 AM »
  • Publish

• Baba thank you so much !!
    Remove the sheer ignorance of all
    and let all see your divine light

Offline saidev

• Blessings 0
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005, 09:06:28 AM »
  • Publish
  • Sai Ram Shammiji

May Baba's blessings be always with all of us.

Let baba be with you throughout the reading of Gurucharitra and bless you with what is best for you.

We had done GURU CHARTIRA prayan in our family completing on THE GURU POORNIMA DAY by Baba's grace.

A small piece of information requested: Does any brother and sister of our Sai Family know where we get HINDI VERSION of GURUCHARITRA.

Jai Sai Ram

Offline san2004

• Blessings 2
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #4 on: July 28, 2005, 09:41:48 AM »
  • Publish
  • Om Sai Ram,
    If Baba permits I will try and post one chapter daily of Guru Charitra in this coloumn.
    Jai Sai Ram,
    Sanjiv

Offline san2004

• Blessings 2
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #5 on: July 29, 2005, 02:44:39 AM »
  • Publish
  • OM SAI RAM,

Chapter I
                       Namdharak sees Shri Guru in Dream.
    A devotee of Shri Guru by name Namdharak, greatly worried due to domestic miseries, left home and started on foot with the intense desire of seeing Shri Guru. While on his way, he was praying to Shri Guru all the time.
    "Oh, Guru, all say, 'Thou art Paras' (the Philosopher's stone that turns iron into gold by mere touch). But then why should I be required to suffer so much, though I have been reciting your name all the time, and having full faith in you?"
    "In this Kaliyug, you are the incarnation of Trimurti (three principal Gods - Brahma, Vishnu and Maheshwara).  Oh, Shri Narasimha Saraswati, you are the Guide to and treasure of the kindness to the devotees."
    "As a mother does not forsake her child, in the same way please do not keep me away from yourself, as you are my mother, father, brother, sister, friend, relative - one and all."
    "You are the protector of this Universe, donor of Gods, you have all the knowledge. You made Bali, the king of Patal, you gave Vibhishan the Kingdom of Lanka (Ceylon). You made this Earth devoid of the Kshatriya race and then gave it in charity to the Brahmins. You offered ever-lasting place to Dhruva. But what did you receive in return from every one of these? If you have received nothing, then what can an innocent human-being like myself offer you, who Himself the Lord of Lakshmi (Goddess of Wealth) is?"
    "When a child, on the lap of its mother, opens its mouth to drink milk, what does the mother expect from the child? It does not become you, a great Giver of boons, to first receive and then to give."
    "All the wells on the earth do not adore Varun, the God of rains, but yet Varun gives rains in abundance to one and all."
    "My forefathers have been your devotees for generations. I possess only this treasure of services of my family unto you. Kindly give me some loan from this treasure, as I am in very peculiar circumstances. I am seeking your shelter considering and You, on your part, overlook my misdeeds and do not be angry with me."
    "If a mother is angry with the child, the child seeks father's shelter. You are my Mother and Father too. So will you not protect me, an innocent child? Are you not even inclined to listen to my miserable tale?"
    Being tired of walking, he sat down under a tree and soon he was asleep. In his dream, he saw a Personality with hair-locks on head, ash markings on all the body and face full of kindness. He soon recognized him to be Shri Guru, who applied ashes to his forehead and placed his blessing hand on his head.

Jai Sai Ram,
    Sanjiv

Offline san2004

• Blessings 2
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #6 on: July 30, 2005, 02:04:54 AM »
  • Publish
  • Chapter II

Siddha Muni Guides Namdharak
    Namdharak was greatly amazed to see the dream. He awoke and began to proceed further on his path. While going he was all the time thinking over the dream, he had seen in the previous night. He now observed that similar personality, alike that seen by him in the dream was coming from the front. He prostrated himself humility before him and said, "You are my mother and father. Kindly favor me, an orphan child. Kindly tell me your name and place of residence."
    The Siddha Muni said, "I am a Yogi. I live on earth and in heaven also. I have been visiting holy places and now I have come here. I am a disciple of Shri Guru Narasimha Saraswathi, who resides at Gangapur near Sangam, the meeting place of the Bhima and Amaraja rivers. He is in the incarnation of Thrimurties and always found in meditation. He has come to this earth for the salvation of his devotees. His devotees get food, cows and other wealth in abundance"
    Hearing this Namdharak asked him, "Though my forefathers have been devotees of Shri Guru for generations, why should be in such adverse conditions? Will you kindly satisfy me in this respect?"
    Shri Siddha said,"You say that you worship Shri Guru and yet complain adversities. Then it seems that you are not worshiping Shri Guru wholeheartedly. Even if Shri Vishnu or Shri Shiva is angry with his devotee, Shri Guru can surely protect him. But if Shri Guru is enraged, even Shri Vishnu or Shiva cannot protect him."
    Namdharak said, "Kindly tell me why Shri Guru is said to be the incarnation of Trimurti - Brahma, Vishnu, and Mahesh. How is it that if Shri Guru is enraged none else can protect? Where can I find this reference? Kindly explain all this to me, so that my mind would become more firm in devotion"
    Shri Siddha said, "Four Vedas came out as utterances of four headed Brahma. From the Vedas 18 Puranas were construed. Brahma Vaivarta is one of these and it is stated in it that in the Dwapara Yug, Vyasa, the Vishnu incarnate, spread the light of knowledge on Earth, through such volumes known as Brahma Sutras. Rishis and Munis listened to the tales from Vyasa, which I am narrating to you.
    "Once upon a time, Kaliyug asked Brahma about the Greatness of Shri Guru".
    Namdharak intervened asking, "Why did Brahma narrate this to Kali?"
    Shri Siddha proceeded saying, "In the start of evolution Adinarayan, Shri Vishnu was lying on a leaf of Vat. He desired and lotus came out of his umbilicus. On it was seated Brahma, who looked to the four directions and he got four heads. He thought that he was all Supreme. Realizing this Shri Vishnu smiled and said "Ah, I am here, bow to me". Brahma bowed to him and praised him. Being pleased Shri Vishnu asked Brahma to create this Universe. Shri Vishnu gave him four Vedas and also told him to create this world according to the process given in the Vedas.
    Brahma then created this World, which has several animate and inanimate things such as:-
    1) Swedaj: those born of perspiration as bugs etc.
    2) Andaj: those coming out of eggs as birds,
    3) Jaraj: those begetting from placenta i.e., womb as human beings and
    4) Udbhij: i.e. coming out of earth i.e. plants, creepers, trees etc. Similarly Brahma created three Lokas (Worlds.). This process of creation has been stated in the Brahma Vaivarta Purana in the following manner: -
    Brahma called every Yug one after the other and asked him to go on Earth. First came Krita Yug, who did not speak a lie was learned and devoid of family attachments, had sacred thread and necklace of Rudraksha-beads around the neck. He said, "The people of Earth speak a lie, and are sinful. How can I go and stay there? Brahma said, "Stay there for some time. I shall be sending another Yug to follow you".
    Then came Treta Yug. Fat in body possessed articles of sacrifice in his hands. In this Yug people performed sacrifices and abode by the rules of religions and rituals and most of them were Brahmins.
    After the Treta Yug, Dwapara Yug is approached Brahma. He had arrows and other weapons in his hands. He was both kind and wicked. Virtue and sin were both visible in him.
    Lastly Kali Yug was called for ghost like appearance, thoughtless heart, old age, struggling and despising mentality were his characteristics. He came before Brahma and began dancing and uttering childish words. At one moment he laughed, at another he welted and then abused anybody. Seeing him in such strange mood, Brahma asked, "Why are you naked and abusing so fifthly?"
    Kali replied, "I shall win over people by these two means. I am not afraid of anybody."
    Brahma smiled and told me to go the Earth and show the influence of his evil intentions.
    Kali said, "I selfish, destroyer of Dharma, I like quarrel, despising and I long for the wealth and wives of others. I am a friend to those who pretend to be a saint and I am an enemy of all the virtuous."
    Brahma told him, "In Kali Yug the span of life of the human beings would be only hundred years. In the former Yugas, as the life span was too long people followed the path of penance and devotion in order to attain supreme knowledge. In Kali Yug, a man can attain salvation, the observing penance and devotion for less time. You should help such virtuous persons."
    Kali said,” Such virtuous men are my enemies. I am afraid of such persons. How should I then go to the Earth?" Brahma said, "Take Kal and Atma with you. They will destroy the religious mindedness and even induce virtuous persons to commit sins."
    Kali said, "They are enemies, who abide by the religion and are devotees of Vishnu and Siva, who listen to Puranas, give charities and who have peaceful hearts. But on the contrary, I love those who love their wives and children, dishonor their parents who despise Vedas and Sastras, who see separateness in Vishnu and Siva and despise them. " Brahma said", You are clever. People will follow you and act as per your wishes as soon as you go there. If a few persons are virtuous, you do not trouble them."
    Kali said, "I am cruel. Please tell me how I should help the virtuous? Please direct me as to how I should behave on the Earth."
    Brahma said, "I am sending Kal and Atma also with you who will direct you. The virtuous only can will you, all others will soon be your slaves."
    Kali asked, "How a Sadhu (Saint) is to be known?" Brahma said "Please do not harass the learned and those who worship Hari, Har, who serve parents, Gods and Brahmins, cows and plants as Tulsi, you need not affect these". Kali again asked, "What is the importance of Guru? How he is to be known?"
    Brahma said 'Alphabet (gu ) means Siddha and (R) and (U) imply Shri Ganesh who is Guru. Shiva, Vishnu, Brahma, parents are all Gurus of this Earth. Knowledge imbibed with devotion and rational thinking (Viveka) is seen in the heart of the Guru. Study of Dharma and Shastras without Guru is futile. He directs in action, thought, devotion and disintegration. One cannot surpass worldly miseries without the help and guidance of Guru. He throws a flashlight on the dark illusionary path. Service to the Guru makes one pure in body, speech and thinking.
    I shall just tell a tale as an example.
    On the bank of Godavari, there was the Ashram of Angiras Rishi. Many disciples were being trained in this Ashram. One disciple named Sandeepak served his Guru, Veda Dharma, with great devotion. Once Veda Dharma Muni gathered his disciples together and said, "If you really love me, do as I bid you."
    All replied, "Gurudev, we shall act as per your command, for one who doesn't obey his Guru, goes to hell and cannot get salvation."
    The Guru said, "I have committed sins in my previous births. The effect of many of them has been wiped off by my penance, but still some of them are persisting. I will not get salvation unless I suffer the evil effects of these sins with my body. I, therefore, wish to go to Kashi, stay there and get rid of these sins. You have to attend on me and serve me during this period. One who is strong enough should undertake this hard task".
    Sandeepak accepted this bid. Veda Dharma said, "It is better to get rid of the sins so long as one has sound health, otherwise they spread like poison. So I should go to a holy place and suffer the bad effects myself. Even Gods have to suffer, then how can a human being like myself avoid the same".
    Sandeepak said, "Kindly tell me what I should do. I shall spare no pains in serving you."
    Veda Dharma said, "I shall become blind, lame and a leper, you will have to serve me for 21 years in such condition. If you are resolute, then only you should accept this job."
    Sandeepak said, "Gurudev, I resolve that I shall also be blind, lame and a leper and serve you devotedly and see that you get rid of all the sins".
    Veda Dharma was much pleased with his words. He further said, "One should suffer the evil effects of one's sins oneself and should not allow the son or the pupil or anyone else to suffer for him. The sins will not be wiped off unless they are borne by one's own body. It is very taxing to serve a diseased person. So you will have to take troubles even more than myself. Please take me to Kashi and do serve me there."
    Sandeepak assured his Guru and soon he took him to Kashi. They lived there at Kambaleshwar to the North of Mankarnika. The Muni took a bath in Mankarnika and worshiped Vishweshwar and began to suffer the pangs of diseases. As the time passed on, leprosy developed all over his body and he became blind losing his eyesight. His body was petrified and pus, blood and germs flowed out of it. He began to have fits also. Still Sandeepak took all pains to nurse his Guru with great devotion. He used to bring alms daily for his Guru, fed him and served him, thinking him to be Kashi Vishweshwar.
    Veda Dharma being in a diseased condition became peevish by nature and often was enraged and spoke harsh words to his disciple, Sandeepak. Some day he would not take food, some day he would abuse him cruelly for bringing insufficient for undelicious alms. Some day he would throw away the food in anger and despair. Sometimes he would even beat him severely. Another time he would complain that he did not clean his body, wounds, clothes smeared with stool and urine and consequently he was much troubled by flies. When Sandeepak was attending on him, he would say why did he not go out for alms. In this way Sandeepak was harassed every now and then.
    Yet Sandeepak tried his best to bring good delicious food and vegetables as directed by his Guru. Though he was living in Kashi, he never went to the Vishweshwar temple to worship and see the most holy shrine of Vishweshwar. Similarly he did not think of any other thing but he solely devoted himself to the nursing and giving best service to his Guru, whom he respected as God Shiva, Vishnu and Brahma. Though the Guru got enraged off and on, he did not retort harshly.
    Seeing his such devoted service to his Guru, Kashi Vishweshwar was so pleased that he appeared before him and told him to ask for some favor or blessing. Sandeepak replied, "Without the approval of my Guru, I cannot ask for your blessings". He then came to his guru and said "Kashi Vishweshwar is pleased to offer me some blessing. If you permit me, I shall pray him to remove your physical pangs and give you sound health."
    Hearing this, Veda Dharma was enraged. He said to Sandeepak "Do not pray Vishweshwar for my health. If I do not suffer these pangs, I will have to suffer in the next birth and this would abstract my path of salvation."
    Sandeepak returned to Kashi Vishweshwar, and told him, " My Guru doesn't like me to accept any blessings from you." Being amazed Kashi Vishweshwar went to Shri Vishnu and reported this wonderful incident to him.
    Hearing this, Shri Vishnu and Shri Kashi Vishweshwar desired to see this disciple and his Guru and so they both came to Kashi and approached Sandeepak. Shri Vishnu said, "Oh Sandeepak, I am pleased with your devotion to your Guru. You may ask for what ever you desire. I shall fulfill your wishes."
    Sandeepak said, "Oh Narayan, even after undertaking penance in dense forest for infinite period, you disappoint your devotees. But when neither did I worship you, nor recite your name, why should you be pleased with me and ask me to have a boon from you?"
    Shri Vishnu said, "Whatever devoted service you have rendered to your Guru, has been received by me. I love such disciples very much. I am under his influence and I willingly offer him my blessings. I like wife's devotion to her husband, bowing to Brahmins. Ascetics and Sanyasis, and such persons come to my place in the end."
    Sandeepak said, "Oh Mahavishnu, I have full faith that I shall attain all knowledge of Vedas and Shastras from my Guru. As Guru is my God, Trimurties (Brahma, Vishnu and Mahesh) are within my reach, whatever blessings you give me; I shall be getting the same easily from my Guru. I am, therefore, serving my Guru devotedly."
    On this Shri Vishnu said pleasingly, "Sandeepak, you are the best amongst all the disciples. You are my loving child. Shri Shiva and myself are pleased with your devotion. Ask for a boon."
    Sandeepak said, "If you are so keen to favor me with your blessings, kindly give me such guidance as would enable me to serve my Guru with still more devotion."
    Shri Vishnu said, "Amen! We offer you what you desire. You have known Guru and also experienced Par-Brahma in yourself. The word Guru contains only two alphabets; still it is the ocean of nectar. One, who dips into it even for a moment, will cross this worldly ocean. One who always remembers Guru is respected in all Lokas."
    When Sandeepak went to his Guru, the Guru asked him, "What did Mahavishnu give you?"
    Sandeepak replied,” I asked him to guide me to serve my guru with more devotion and he was pleased to give me this blessing. I wish I should serve you well and incessantly".
    Hearing this Veda Dharma too was extremely pleased. He said,” You are the best of all the disciples. You should stay in Kashi. What ever you say will be true. You will receive the wealth of Kuber (God of Wealth), the miseries of those who remember you will come to an end".
    The same moment, the body of Veda Dharma muni became healthy and bright. He had suffered from leprosy and other pangs only for testing his disciple.
    In this way, Brahma told Kali this tale of Sandeepak, Oh, Namdharak, you should also worship Shri Guru with such devotion and then only, you shall easily pass over the worldly miseries. Control your sense, Karma, Dnyan and also heart and other by you will win even the Great God i.e., Parameshwar."

Jai Sai Ram,
    Sanjiv

Offline san2004

• Blessings 2
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #7 on: July 30, 2005, 11:49:17 PM »
  • Publish

• Om Sai Ram,
    Chapter III

Durwas Curses King Ambarish
    Namdharak - "Swamiji, you have removed my doubt by giving me the knowledge of the greatness of Shri Guru. I am much pleased at heart. Will you kindly inform me where you stay? What is your food? I wish to be in your service. Kindly accept me as your disciple".
    Shri Siddha embraced him with affection and blessing him said, "You will see that miraculous incidents are occurring at the dwelling place of Shri Guru. Studying the life of Shri Guru is like draining nectar. I always read this life again and again" saying this he showed his sacred book titled (Life of Shri Guru) to Namdharak and further said, "Whatever pleasure or social status we desire, we shall get it soon by reading this. We shall not be affected by any disease incurred due to displeasure of the planets or other reasons. The sin of killing a Brahmin is also wiped off if this book is read with devotion and concentration of mind".
    Namdharak - "Oh the Ocean of kindness, you appear to me be Shri guru himself. I wish to know the life of Shri Guru. Will you please remove the darkness of my ignorance by the light of this life of Shri Guru, which is as bright as the Sun?"
    Shri Siddha assured him and holding his hand took him to a lovely place, seated him under Ashwattha tree, which is like Kalpa Vriksha, i.e. a tree fulfilling one's desires and began to narrate him the nectar like life of Shri Guru.
    He told him, "You do not know how to serve Shri Guru and hence you have to suffer from anxieties, pains and miseries. You should therefore, try to know Shri Guru by good actions and firm belief".
    Namdharak - "My body is burning due to threefold fires in this earthly ocean. I am obsessed by sex, anger and temptation. So kindly take me in the boat of knowledge, steer it by the wind of kindness and thus give salvation to me".
    Shri Siddha said, "You need not be anxious. You will surely be relieved of your miseries, engrossed in illusion and temptation, those who doubt the great power of Shri Guru, they have always to suffer from poverty and hardship. So give up suspicion. Shri Guru is an Ocean of Kindness. He will give you everything. Just as clouds give rain everywhere, similarly Shri Guru gives showers of kindness. As water is stored in the deep portions of earth and on the rocky place, so an individual attains Shri Guru's favor. Therefore worship Shri Guru wholeheartedly."
    Namdharak - "My mind is clear now and I am anxious to listen to the life story of Shri Guru. Kindly tell me why Shri Guru took birth in Bharat?"
    Shri Siddha - "Oh! My good disciple, you have given inspiration to me. Shri Guru's life is like Kamadhenu. You will get all the four valor’s or favors viz., religion, wealth, pleasure and salvation.
    "Shri Hari and Shri Har have to come this Earth in the form of different species at different times for the benefits of their devotees. Three Murtis have three different characteristics - Brahma's Rajas, Vishnu's Satwa and Shiva's Tamas. But these do not exist separately.
    "In former times there lived a King by name Ambarish. He observed Ekadashi fast (11th day of every fortnight dark and bright). He induced Shri Vishnu to come to Earth.
    "In order to test Ambarish's Ekadashi Vrata, Durwas Rishi came to him as a guest. That day Sadhan Dwadashi was only for 24 minutes after Sunrise. Ambarish received the Rishi warmly, worshiped him and requested him to return soon for dinner finishing his morning bath and rituals.
    "Durvas went to the river, took bath and started rituals. Seeing that the time for Dwadashi (12th day of fortnight) was finishing and fearing the break of his Vrata, Ambarish took holy water and dines. In the meanwhile Durvas returned and seeing that Ambarish had dined before him, he was enraged and so he cursed Ambarish.
    "Ambarish prayed Shri Vishnu, Protector of devotees. Shri Vishnu came from Vaikunda, his abode. Ambarish told Shri Vishnu that Durvas had for no reason cursed him to take birth in different species. Shri Vishnu told Durvas that he had cursed Ambarish in vain and that he should curse him (Vishnu) instead of Ambarish.
    "Durvas thought that people on Earth cannot see Shri Vishnu, so it would be better to ask Shri Vishnu to descend on Earth with Shri Lakshmi for the salvation of the people. So he said to Shri Vishnu, 'You should descend on the Earth ten times'.
    For Destroying the wicked and giving relief to all, Shri Vishnu accepted Durva’s curse. You know the ten incarnations of Shri Vishnu which are narrated in Bhagvat.
       ‘Once Brahma, Vishnu and Mahesh came in disguise to Sati Anusaya , the most respected Pativrata (devoted wife) Atri. I shall now tell this tale to you’

Jai Sai Ram,
    Sanjiv

Offline san2004

• Blessings 2
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #8 on: August 01, 2005, 12:06:24 AM »
  • Publish
  • OM SAI RAM,

Chapter IV
    Birth of Shri Dattatreya

"In the first instance there was all water everywhere. Then an egg `Hiranya garbha' (with Gold inside) came into existence. Universe has come out of it. Due to `Rajas' Brahma came into existence. He is known as Hiranyagarbha. It broke into two hemispheres & the earth & the sky came into existence. Brahma thus created 14 Bhuvans, 10 directions, mind, speech, time, six enemies as desire, anger etc. Brahma created seven sons (manas putras) namely,
    1.   Marichi,
    2.   Atri,
    3.   Angiras,
    4.   Pulasti,
    5.   Pulaha,
    6.   Kratu and
    7.   Vasishta.
    Of these Shri Guru took birth in the house of Atri. "Anasuya (devoid of hatred) was the devoted wife of Atri Rishi. She was very beautiful also. Seeing her exceptional devotion to her husband, the Gods in heaven began to fear that someday she might overcome them. Hence Indra and other Gods went to Brahma, Vishnu and Mahesh and said to them, "How can one describe the greatness of the devotion of Anasuya to her husband Atri. She served her husband with body, mind and speech. She also serves guests giving them desired food. None returns disappointed from her place. Fire, Sun and Wind are also afraid of her. We all are afraid of her. She may sometime win over this heaven. Therefore kindly do something to give us relief'.
    Hearing this, Brahma, Vishnu and Mahesh said angrily, "We shall test her devotion".
    Brahma, Vishnu and Mahesh came to Atri Muni's Ashram in the mendicants' disguise, when Atri had been out to the river for daily rituals. The mendicants said to Anasuya, "We are very hungry. Give us food. We have come here hearing your good name for offering the guests their desired food".
    Anasuya bowed to them respectfully and said, "you please return soon after finishing your bath and daily rituals".
    The three Gods replied, "We have already taken bath and finished the rituals. Atri Rishi may take time to return. Better you serve us food soon".
    Anasuya seated them on carpets and began serving food on leaf-plates. The guests said to Anasuya, "We have one more desire. We have come here from a long distance as we have heard of your beauty. We wish you to put off your garments and then serve us with food. If you do not comply with this. We shall leave this place without meals".
    This made Anasuya bitterly anxious. She realized that some great personages have come to test her chastity. She thought that if they return without food she would lose sanctity of her penance. Believing that her mind is pure and that her husband's penance will protect her in this ordeal, she told them, "You have your food without any doubt. I shall serve you food as you desire".
    She went into her kitchen and remembering her husband, put off her garments and saying `The guests are like my children', she came out to serve food to the guests. Instantly all the three Gods were transformed into three newly born crying babies. She was terrified to see three crying babies. She put on her clothes and took the babies one after the other to her breast for feeding. What great power does a Pativrata possess! Those who have 14 Bhuvans, 7 oceans and fire in the belly, were all satisfied with the little milk in her breast. Anasuya thus became the mother of the three Great Gods. She placed them in a cradle and pulled the string to and fro and began singing lullabies.
    It was midday. Atri Rishi returned from the river after finishing his rituals. He was very much astonished to see Anasuya pulling the string of a cradle and singing songs. Anasuya narrated all that had happened. Atri Rishi by power of intuition knew that the babies were Trimurties and so he bowed to them. The three Gods were also much pleased. They stood before him and told Atri to ask for a boon. Atri said to Anasuya, "You may ask for whatever you desire".
    Anasuya said, "These babies should stay in this Ashram as our sons". The Trimurties readily complied. Anasuya began to nurse and feed them. Brahma was known as Chandra, Vishnu was called Datta and Mahesh was called Durvas.
    After some time Chandra and Durvas told their mother Anasuya that they both were going away for penance and that the third Datta would be staying with her; she should know him as Trimurti. After this Chandra and Durvas went away, Chandra went to Chandralok and Durvas went to he forest for penance. Datta or Dattatreya remained with Anasuya. Dattatreya is the founder of the seat of Shri Guru.

Jai Sai Ram,
    Sanjiv

Offline san2004

• Blessings 2
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #9 on: August 01, 2005, 11:49:49 PM »
  • Publish
  • OM SAI RAM,

Chapter V

Birth of Shripad Shri Vallabha
    Shri Siddha - "Namdharak, Shri Vishnu had several incarnations as Matsya (Fish), Kachha (Tortoise), Varah (Bear), Narasimha (Man with lion's head), Vaman, Parashurama, Rama, Krishna, Buddha and Kalki to protect the Sadhus and punish the wicked.
    Bhagirath did his utmost to bring the Ganges on the Earth for the salvation of his forefathers, the Sagar Kings. Similarly a Brahmin woman worshipped Shri Dattatreya and hence Shri Dattatreya took birth from her womb. I shall now narrate this tale to you.
    "A Brahmin named Apalraj lived at Peethapur in the East. Sumatha was his most devoted wife. On one Amavasya day there was an anniversary day at the house of Apalraj. On that day Shri Datta came in disguise to his house for alms. Generally alms are not given to beggars, on the anniversary day. But though the Brahmins invited for the ceremony had not dined, Sumatha offered him alms. Hence Shri Datta was much pleased and he disclosed his divine appearance to her. She humbly bowed to Shri Datta who said, "Mother what do you desire?"
    She said, " You are a treasure of kindness and protector of the devotees. You are well known in all the 14 Bhuvans. You just called me `mother'. I begot children, but some of them died soon and of those that are surviving, one is blind and one is lame. I therefore feel my life to be futile without a good son. I wish I should have a son who would be world famous and learned like yourself. Will you fulfill this desire of mine?”
    Shri Datta said, "You will have a son well known in Kaliyug. You abide by his wishes. He will be learned. He will fulfill all your desires". Saying this Shri Datta disappeared.
    Sumatha told this to her husband. He too was much pleased. Both believed that Shri Datta himself would come to their home in the form of a child. The husband said, "Shri Datta lives at Mahur and Kolhapur. He comes in the mendicant's form daily alms at midday. You should always give him alms".
    Sumatha told her husband that she had offered alms to Shri Datta that day even before the Brahmins invited for performing the Shraddha had dined. The husband said You did very well My forefathers will be more satisfied, as Shri Datta himself has taken alms to day. As you have obtained blessings from him, you will surely get a son. You need not worry".
    Thus they were passing their time with pleasure. Sumata became pregnant. After the full period of nine months, she gave birth to a son. Brahmins foretold that this child will be a great Guru and an ascetic. Thinking him to be an incarnation of Shri Datta, he was called after one of Datta's name `Shripad’; His thread ceremony was performed when he was seven years old. Even at this age, he knew all four Vedas, Mimansa, Thark (Logic) etc. All people wondered at his brilliancy and said he must be a God in human form. He taught the Brahmins of the city various subjects as Achar, Vyawahar, Prayaschitta, Vedant, Bhashya, Vedarth etc. When Shripad was sixteen years of age his parent began to think of his marriage. Shripad warned that would marry with the woman called disintrigation. All other ladies liked mother to him. He said, "I am a Brahmachari and an ascetic. I love Yoga and my name is Shri Vallabha. I now intend to go to the forests for observing penance and obtaining divine knowledge."
    Hearing this, the parents recollected the words of Shri Datta, the mendicant and realized that he would have his own way. Still due to affection, they were very much aggrieved. The mother said, "we expected you to protect us in our old age". Saying so the mother became unconscious. Shripad consoled her and said, "Do not be anxious. I shall give you what you wish. Believe in me and live happily".
    The mother said, "My Dear son, I forgot all my previous miseries only on account of you and I cherished a great hope that you would protect us in our old age. We have two other sons; but one is lame and the other is blind, who will look after them?"
    Shripad looked at his lame and blind brother with nectar like sight. Instantly the blind brother got his sight and lame one got his legs. Both became learned, well versed in Vedas, Shastras and Vyakaran. Thy prostrated before Shripad Shri Valabha and he blessed them. Just as iron is transformed into gold by the touch of the philosopher's stone, so both the brothers were enlightened and they became respectable due to the blessings of Shripad. He then said to the brothers, "You will have sons, grandsons and great grandsons and you all shall live happily."
    He told his brothers further, "Serve your parents. You will be happy in this world and shall get salvation in the end."
    He then said, to his mother, "you should be happy now. But your sons will live for 100 years. They will have sons and daughters and you will see them living merrily. They will have wealth for generations and shall be famous for their learning. Now do not prevent me from going to forest. I have to go to the North to guide the Sadhus."
    Saying this, Shripad Swami disappeared and came to Kashi where he began to live secretly. After some days he went to Badri Narayan. He visited holy places one after the other and in course of time one day reached Gokarna."

Jai Sai Ram,
    Sanjiv

Offline san2004

• Blessings 2
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #10 on: August 04, 2005, 04:43:44 AM »
  • Publish
  • Om Sai Ram,

Chapter VI
    Ravana and Gokarna Mahabaleshwar

Namdharak- "Swami, though Trimurti was Siddha, (Having Yogic power to do and undo things) why did he visit different holy placed and why did he prefer Gokarna to other places? What is its significance?"
    Shri Siddha "I am much delighted with your question and I am encouraged to narrate incidents from Shri Guru's life. Shripad Shri Vallabha reached Gokarna and on his way he made disciples and gave them divine advice.
    Gokarna is a sacred place of Shri Shiva and one of the twelve famous Jyotirlingas. Shri Ganesh founded here the original Linga-image of Shiva. It is known as Mahabaleshwar, the tale of which I shall narrate to you now.
    "Ravana's mother Kaikaya (wife of Pulasti Manasa putra of Brahma) was a great devotee of Shiva. She worshiped a new Shiva Linga every day. One day she could not get a new Shiva Linga. Fearing that her `Vrata' would be futile, she prepared an earthen Linga and began to worship it with devotion. Seeing this, Ravana asked her what she was doing. She said that she was worshiping a Shiva-Linga. Ravana said, "You being my mother, it is a great misfortune that you should earthen Shiva Ling. Well what do you intend to achieve by this worship?"
    Mother replied that thereby she would get a place in Kailas, abode of Shiva after death. Thereupon Ravana said, `why do you take so much troubles? I shall bring Kailas itself to you'.
    Saying this, he went to Kailas and began to shake it violently with his 20 hands. He tried to lift it up. Due to this action of his, 7 Patals were shaken, Shesh moved his hood, the tortoise began to tremble with fear. Amarpur (capital of Indra the King of Gods) and Heaven were shocked. Parvati went to Shri Shiva with fear and said, `What has happened to Kailas to day? When everyone was distress how are you lying at ease? Please do something to check this calamity.'
    Shri Shiva said to her, `You need not be anxious. Ravana, one of my devotees, is playing a game'.
    Parvati entreated, `Kindly protect the Gods who terrified'.
    Shri Shiva pressed Ravana’s 10 heads and 20 hands underneath the Kailas. Finding himself in distress, Ravana uttered `Shiva-Shiva' and further prayed `Shri Shiva', I have made a mistake. For give me. I seek your shelter. Kindly do not kill me, your devotee.'
    His prayer pleased Shri Shiva, who is very simple and kind,, so he took him up from breath. Ravana then cut his head, turned his hands into violin, he attached his intestines to serve as musical wires. He then began to chant Sam Veda and sing other Ragas on the tune of this musical instrument. He praised Shri Shiva in Nine Rasas and Thirty-six Ragas.
    Being much pleased by Ravana’s performance at great personal sacrifice, Shri Shiva appeared before him and said, `I am much pleased. Ask for whatever you desire'.
    Ravana said `Oh God of Gods, Laxmi is my maidservant. I possess all the 8 treasures. Brahma is my priest, and all 33 crore Gods are serving me day and night. The Sun, the Moon, the Varuna and the Wind also obey me. Agni (Fire God) washes my clothes; Yama does not take away anybody without my permission. Indrajit is my son and Kumbakarna is my brother. Kamadhenu is at my doors. Now I have come to take away Kailas with me as my mother has accepted a `Vrata' to worship you daily. Kindly fulfill my mother's desire.'
    Kailaspati Shri Shiva said, `If your mother wishes to worship me, what is the necessity of taking Kailas to her. I shall give you Atma-Linga, which will fulfill all her desires instantly. It is just like my soul.
    Saying this, he gave his Atma-Linga to Ravana and said, `After bath, place this at a holy place reciting Rudra sukta and worship it with 108 lap recitation of a particular mantra. One, who worships this Linga continuously for 3 years, will gain my prowess. One, who possesses this Linga, will live for eternity; one is relieved of any great sin, simply with the sight of this Linga. Do not place this on the ground till you reach Lanka.'
    Taking the Atma-Linga, Ravana at once started for Lanka. Narada Muni immediately approached Indra and said to him, `How are you sitting idle? Ravana has become immortal. You will lose all your prominence. Shri Shiva has given him Atma-Linga and has assured him that if he would worship it for 3 years with devotion, he will be Ishwar himself. How will you then rescue 33 crores of gods who are in his custody. Better you all be his slaves. Also send divine damsels like Urvashi, Rambha, Menaka etc. to him'.
    Being shocked, Indra requested Narad to advise what he would do. Narad asked him to go to Brahma. Indra and Narad went to Brahma and narrated what had taken place. Then accompanied by Indra and Narad, Brahma went to Shri Vishnu and requested him to devise some means to overcome this calamity.
    Shri Vishnu was enraged to hear this tale. He, with all others immediately went to Shri Shiva. Shri Vishnu said to Shri Shiva, 'What made you give Atma-Linga to Ravana, the most wicked, who has made all the gods his captives? How do you bless such cruel persons? Now he will conquer even heaven.'
    Shri Shiva said, 'I was extremely pleased with his devotion. He cut his head and hands and made a violin using his intestines as strings and sang Sam Veda and other songs in different ragas. This time if he had asked for Parvati, I would have given her even to him.'
    Shri Vishnu said, 'You give such blessings and the demons become impudent and then we are troubled much as they harass the gods and Brahmins and I have to descend on the earth. Well tell me when did you give the Ling to Ravana?'
    Shri Shiva said, 'I gave it to him only two hours before.' Hearings this Shri Vishnu immediately sent his Sudarshan Chakra to hide the Sun and asked Narad to Ravana and induce him to linger on the way, as he would like to observe evening Sandhya. Then he called Ganesh and said to him, 'Ravana always disregards you. All bow to you first and you fulfill their desires. While those who speak ill of you, you bring obstacles in their undertakings. Ravana deceived Shri Shiva and has taken away from him the most valuable Atma-Linga. So you should go to him in the form of a Brahmachari boy and winning his confidence, take the Atma- Linga from him at Sunset, when he would engage himself in the evening Sandhya and place the Linga on the earth. If you do so, the Linga will remain there. Saying this Shri Vishnu gave Ganesh various sweets, tilballs, gur, coconut kernel, milk, gee sugar etc.
    Narad had already proceeded. Ganesh followed him hurriedly. Narad approached Ravana and said, 'I had just been to Kailas and knew that you pleased Shri Shiva by your hard penance and have brought his Atma-Linga from him. You have obtained extraordinary power and strength due to this. This Linga has great significance. Please let me see the Linga, I shall explain to you all its qualities.'
    As Ravana did not believe Narad, he showed him the Linga from a distance. Narad asked, 'Do you know when and how this Linga came into existence? This is a very interesting account. A black skinned bright deer having all fragrant things was lying in Brahmand-Khand. Brahma, Vishnu, and Mahesh once went there for hunting. They killed this deer and satisfied their hunger with its flesh. The deer had 3 horns on its head and 3 Lingas below. Each one of them took one Linga and preserved it as his Atma-Linga. One, who worships this for 3 years, becomes Ishwar himself. The place where this Linga is place is like Kailas. Therefore Brahma, Vishnu and Mahesh have great prominence over all other gods.'
    Ravana intercepted, ' I have no time to listen to you, as I have to reach Lanka soon. Let me proceed further on my way.'
    Narad said, “‘this is evening time. You know the Vedas, you should act as prescribed by the Vedas. This is the time for evening Sandhya. Let us perform the same.” Saying this Narad went away for Sandhya.
    In the meantime Ravana saw Ganesh in the form of a Brahmachari boy who was plucking ‘durvas’ (a particular grass). Ravana thought that that boy would not deceive him. Better observe Sandhya entrusting the Linga to that boy.
    So thinking he approached Ganesh, who was afraid to see Ravana with ten heads coming to him. But he began to run away. Ravana asked him, 'who are you? Who are your parents?'
    Ganesh said, 'Why are you inquiring? What does my father owe you? Ravana smiled and said 'Don't be afraid of me. I am asking this only out of curiosity.'
    Ganesh replied, 'I am the son of Shri Shiva. He has ash marks all over the body, has a necklace of Rudra-beads around his neck and bears hair-locks on his head. My mother is Parvati. My father rides a bull Nandi with my mother and begs for alms daily.
    Ravana said, 'your father is a pauper. He begs for alms from door to door. So it seems that you are unhappy at home. Inside in a beautiful city Lanka, rich with magnificent buildings, gardens and other wealth. You live with me. I shall give you whatever you desire.'
    Ganesh said, 'there are many rakshasas in Lanka. They will devour me, a boy living in forest. Hence I would not come to Lanka. I am hungry and so I am eating these sweets.'
    Ravana again entreated him to hold the Linga in his hand till he observed Sandhya.
    Thereafter Ganesh said with hesitation, 'I am an ignorant boy. I won't hold this Linga in my hand, as it may be heavy. Let me go to my place.' Still Ravana persuaded him and induced Ganesh to hold the Linga and he proceeded to observe Sandhya on the sea shore.
    Ganesh warned him, 'Mind, as soon as I feel the Linga heavy, I shall place it on the earth.' Saying this Ganesh took the Linga and waited there. All the gods had gathered in the sky and were witnessing this event.
    When Ravana was offering arghyas (water ablutions to fire god), Ganesh called Ravana and said that he is fatigued and he should take his Linga from him soon.' Ravana made signs by hand and asked him to wait for a little more time.
    After a while Ganesh again called Ravana and asked him to come immediately as it was becoming unbearable for him to hold the Linga.
    Ravana was meditating this time. Seeing that Ravana was not coming, Ganesh recollected Shri Vishnu's words and placed the Linga on the ground in the presence of the gods in the sky. All the gods were greatly pleased to see this and showered flowers in the head of Ganesh in admiration.
    Soon after Ravana returned and seeing that the Linga was placed on the ground, he was much annoyed. He began to thrash Ganesh in wrath.
    Ravana tried his best with all his might to lift up the Linga. The earth trembled but the Linga could not be shaken a bit. As Ravana tried to lift it up by screwing, it took the shape of an ear of the cow and so it is known as "Gokarn" and as Ravana exercised all his might to lift it up it is called "Mahabaleshwar".
    In despair Ravana then went to the forest for hard penance. There are many other incidents signifying the greatness of this holy place. This is narrated in the Skandha Purana.

Jai Sai Ram,
    Sanjiv

Offline san2004

• Blessings 2
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #11 on: August 05, 2005, 01:17:07 AM »
  • Publish
  • Om Sai Ram,
    Chapter VII
    Soumini and Madayanti at Gokarna

Namdharak- "Swami, will you tell me who were benefited by visiting this holy place of Gokarna?"
    Shri Siddha- "Just listen. Formerly there lived a brave king in the family of Ikshwaku. He knew all the Shastras. He was considerate, strong and kind. Once he went on hunting and seeing a demon like a flame of fire, he aimed an arrow and the demon fell on the ground senseless. The brother of the demon wept bitterly in grief. Before dying, the demon asked his brother to take revenge of his death.
    The brother approached the king in human form and sought his service and was engaged as a cook. On the anniversary day the king had invited Rishis like Vasishta and others. When Vasishta and others were seated on their seats, the new cook served human flesh in the plate of Shri Vasishta. Being enraged, Vasishta cursed the king that he would become a Brahmaraksha.
    The king was also annoyed to see that he was being cursed for no fault of his. He therefore, took water in his hand and intended to curse Shri Vasishta in return, Maharani Madayanti hastened to the king and entreated and prevented him from cursing his Guru. She requested him to pray Vasishta for `Usshap' (blessing to nullify the effects of the course).
    Being pacified, the poured the water in his hands on his own feet, whereby after being a Brahmaraksha, he was called ~Kalmashpad'. Madayanti bowed to Vasishta and prayed for Usshap for the king. Vasishta was also cooled by this time. He assured her that the king would attain human form and return from the forest on completion of 12 years.
    Kalmashpad lived in a dense forest. Once he saw a young Brahmin couple passing by. He clasped the Brahmin youth with the intention of devouring him. The young wife of the youth wept bitterly and requested Kalmashpad with folded hands, saying, `kindly release my young husband who is well versed in Vedas and thus give me my Sowbhagya. By doing this you will add to your virtues. Treat me as your daughter. If I beget a son I shall give him your name.'
    But the demon did not listen to her and killed the youth and ate his flesh. The wife of the youth collected the bones of her husband, arranged a pyre and set fire to it. Before burning herself in the same pyre, she cursed the demon, `You will die instantly, when after 12 years you become king and touch your wife.'
    The king returned to his city after 12 years. He told his wife Rani Madayanti all about the curse of the Brahmin's wife. Madayanti was much grieved to hear it. She exclaimed, `Even after staying in the forest in hardship for 12 years you are not relieved of the evil effects of your evil actions! There is no son in our family. What should we do now?
    The king called the old priest and told him `I have killed a Brahmin when I was a demon and was staying in the forest. How can I be relieved of its evil effects?'
    The priest said, `you should visit all the holy places and then all your sins will be wiped off'
    The king then started to visit all the holy places one after the other. He performed sacrifices, gave money in charity, served meals to the Brahmins and the poor and did other virtuous acts. Still the sin of Brahma-hatya followed him like a shadow. Accidentally he met Goutam Muni. He bowed to the Muni respectfully. Goutam asked, `When you have your own state (kingdom) why are you wandering from place to place and why are you so much worried?'
    `I have committed a Brahmahatya. I performed sacrifices and several Vratas. I visited holy places and did virtuous acts. Yet I am not relieved of this sin. I am fortunate to see your holy self to day,' replied the king.
    Goutam said, `You need not worry. Shri Shiva will protect you. You should go to Gokarna to get rid of this sin. Mrityunjaya (the conqueror of Death) Shri Shiva always stays there. Though the fire and the moon can do away with the darkness of the night, yet there is the necessity of the Sun. Similarly though your sins are not wiped off even after going to several holy places, still if you go to Gokarna, all your sins will be destroyed. Even if you have committed 1000 Brahmahatyas, all will be destroyed and you shall become sinless. Even Vishnu and Brahmadeo lived there for penance and their desires were fulfilled. Gokarna is like Kailas and Shri Shiva stays there. At the instance of Shri Vishnu, Shri Ganesh installed this Shiva Linga. All the gods, demons, Rishis, Munis, Siddhas live and worship Shri Shiva and thereby they attain all the four valous (purusharthas) with the blessing of Shri Shiva. Brahma, Vishnu, Kartavirya, Vinayak, Durga and others have also installed Lingas here known after their names. All waters here holy. This is thus the most important holy place.
    In Krita Yug this Linga was white, in Treta it became red, in Dwapara yellow, and in the Kaliyug it has become black. The root of this Linga is in the Sapta Patal below. Even with the sight of this Linga one is relieved of the sins of Brahmahatya, gets one's desires fulfilled and after death one attains salvation. The devotees staying here go to Kailas in the end.
    One should bathe and offer charities on Sunday, Monday and Wednesday. It is virtuous to worship here on "Vyatipat", Makar Sankrant and Maha Shivaratri days. Bholenath Shiva passes judgment over all our actions. In the month of Magh, if one observes fast on the Shivaratri day and offers "Bel" leaf to Shri Shiva Linga, one's entrance in the heaven is ensured.'
    Goutam Muni further said, `so many have been benefited by visiting Gokarna. I myself have witnessed a most wonderful incident, when I had been to that place. When I was sitting under a tree, I saw a leper sutra woman. She was without food the whole day. All her body was affected and pus and germs were seen all over. She had lost her teeth and had no clothes on her body. Being a widow, her head was shaved and she was much troubled due to midday hot Sun. She sat under a tree being tired, and soon died. Shiva Dootas came there with a divine place to take her to the Kailas.
    While living with the sutra, she ate flesh Shudras; she ate flesh and took wine daily. One day she killed a calf thinking it to be a lamb and reserved its head for the next day. When it was time for milking the cow she looked for the calf and she came to know that my mistake, she had killed it. In grief she uttered the words Shiva' `Shiva' and `What a great sin I have committed unknowingly'.
    Fearing the wrath of her husband, she buried the head, flesh and bones of the calf and told people that a tiger took her calf away.
    When she died Yam Dootas took her to the Yampuri and placed her in hell. She suffered tortures and was again born as a Shudra woman. She was ugly, black and blind. Her parents cared for her for some time and afterwards she begged for her food. She was an orphan without any shelter. She developed leprosy and in course of time she grew old.
    Many people were going to Gokarna on Maha Shivaratri day expecting to get good alms, she also followed them. It being a fast day nobody offered her food. In-joke, some one placed "Bel" leaf in her hand. Knowing that it was not eatable, she threw it away, which by chance, fell on the Shiva Linga and thus she had the credit of worshipping Shiva in that dark night. This pleased Shri Shiva and hence we have come to take her to Shivalok. Shiva dootas sprinkled nectar on her body and soon she looked like a heavenly woman, she was then taken to Shiva Lok'
    Hearing this the king was delighted. He went to Gokarna and was relieved of all his sins. Gokarna has great significance. Hence Shripad Shri Vallabha had also been there and stayed there for 3 years."

Jai Sai Ram,
    Sanjiv

Offline san2004

• Blessings 2
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #12 on: August 05, 2005, 11:05:07 PM »
  • Publish
  • Om Sai Ram,

Chapter VIII
    Shripad Shri Vallabha Blesses a Brahmani and Her Son

Namdharak-"How long Shri Guru Shripad Shri Vallabha stayed at Gokarna and what happened later?"
    Shri Siddha: - "Shri Guru lived secretly for 3 years and from there he went to Shrigiri. After 4 months he went to Nivriti Sangam and thence to Kuravapur on the bank of the Krishna river.
    There lived a Brahmin well versed in Veda and Shastras. We had a good-natured devoted wife Ambika by name She begot children but none survived except one son. In due course his thread ceremony was celebrated; but he was dull, foolish and dumb. Hence the parents were much worried. The Brahmin got tired while training him and at times beat him for not learning his lessons. His wife could not bear this cruel treatment to her only son.
    The Brahmin died after some time. The woman lived with her son begging for their livelihood. The boy grew up; but being foolish and poor no one liked to give one's daughter in marriage to him. People said to him, `your father was a learned man; but you are like a stone. You have brought disgrace to his family. How are you not ashamed of begging for your living? Better give up your life in the Ganga River.
    He was aggrieved to hear such harsh words off and on. He therefore intended to give up his life in the deep waters of a river. Seeing this his mother said to him in grief, `I shall also company you.'
    They both went on the river Krishna. Shripad Shri Vallabha also had been there. Seeing him, the mother bowed to him and said, `we both have decided to give up our lives in this river; but as committing suicide is a sin, how shall we be relieved of our miseries without being offended?'
    Shri Guru asked, `Which miseries induce you to give up your lives?'
    Narrating her whole account the woman said, `Swami, we visited holy placed and observed `Vratas' for getting a son and after this we got this son; but he is a dullard. All despise him and scold him. I therefore, request you to bless me with a son who will be pious like your good self at least in the next birth. He should prove good for all our further generations.'
    Seeing her devotion Shri Guru said, `you worship Ishwar i.e. Shri Shiva with devotion and you will have godlike son. Nanda Gawali worshipped God and hence Shri Krishna lived at his home. Your desire will also be fulfilled if you worship him devotedly.'
    The woman asked, `How did the cowherd worship Shri Hari? What `vrata' did they observe?'
    Shri Guru -`On every `Shani-pradosh.' worship God Shiva. A tale in this respect is narrated in the Skandha Purana.'
    There lived a righteous king Chandrasen in Ujjain. Manibhadra was his chief counselor. He worshipped Shri Shiva most devotedly and Shri Shiva and favored him with the most bright `Chintamani' bead which he had given to his master Chandrasen. A mere touch of the bead turned iron into gold. By mere sight of the bead, one's desires were fulfilled. So all other kings desired to have such bead. Many kings tried to get the bead from the king and offered him money for the same. But all efforts were in vain. So they all combined their forces and attacked Ujjain, when Chandrasen was engaged in worshipping Shri Shiva on a `Shani pradosh' day.
    The children of the cowherds watched the worship of the king and they also wished to worship Shri Shiva similarly. The boys gathered stones and prepared a Shiva Temple and placed one stone as image of Shiva Linga and began worshipping it with flowers and other herbs. The mothers' of the boys came there and took their sons for meals to their homes. But one boy did not go home. His mother thrashed him angrily and said, ‘it is night now. Come to have your meals.' She broke the Temple and threw away the image of Shiva Linga. Seeing this the boy began to weep in grief and intended to give up his life. But after some time he felt asleep.
    Shri Shiva was pleased with his devotion and created a beautiful Temple a Linga of precious Stones was installed in it. Shri Shiva awoke the boy, looked at him with affection and asked him to have a boon from him.
    The boy was much delighted. He bowed to Shri Shiva and said 'My mother has broken the evening worship. Kindly forgive her.'
    Shri Shiva said, 'As your mother has seen the evening worship, she will get a son named Shri Krishna in next birth and you will also have all the pleasures.'
    The forces of the enemies were emerged. They spoke amongst themselves. 'What wonder is this! How this bright beautiful Temple has been created here within a night. Let us give up enmity and see the king, who is so virtuous on friendly terms.' They sent their messengers to the king. The king requested them to come to the Shiva Temple, where he would see them.
    Chandrasen was also wonderstruck to see Sun like bright Shiva Temple sprung up during the night. The cowherd boy’s house also looked very bright. The king asked the boy the reason of this miracle. The boy narrated the whole story to all the kings who had gathered there. All were much pleased to hear him. They said, 'You really become the king of the cowherds.' They offered the boy many gifts and land and excepting Chandrasen all the kings returned to their places.
    The boy went home and narrated to his mother all that had occurred. He said, 'Shri Shiva was pleased with my evening worship. As I requested him to forgive you even though you had broken the temple, he was not angry with you. Besides he assured that the incarnation of Shri Krishna will stay at your home.'
    Shripad Shri Vallabha narrated the significance of the 'Shani pradosh' worship to the Brahmani and seeing her devotion, placed his palm over the head of her son and blessed him. Eventually the boy instantly had the knowledge of the Vedas, Shastras, Tark, Bhashya etc. All the Brahmins and his mother were wonderstruck to see this. The mother respectfully bowed to Shri Guru and said that she was fortunate to see Shri Guru and to get his blessings. She said, 'you are God yourself. We shall worship you in the evening. I hope I sahll have a son like your good self in my next birth. Let not your words be untrue.' Saying this she began to worship Shri Guru every evening with devotion.
    Her son got married and had sons and grandsons. Those who are blessed by Shri Guru, receive all leisure in the same way.'

Jai Sai Ram,
    Sanjiv

Offline san2004

• Blessings 2
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #13 on: August 06, 2005, 11:18:54 PM »
  • Publish
  • Om Sai Ram,
    Chapter IX
    A Washerman Blessed to be a King

"There lived a washerman at Kuravpur. He was a great devotee of Shri Guru. Shripad Shri Vallabha used to go to the river, have bath, morning Sandhya and other rituals just like ordinary Brahmins. The washerman would go to the river, wash Shri Guru's clothes and would bow to him with reverence.
    Once Shri Guru asked him, 'why do you take so much troubles for me. I am pleased with your services. Go home and live happily.'
    Hearing this the washerman gave up household attachment, lived at Shri Guru's dwelling place, swept the courtyard and sprinkled water on it everyday. Thus he served Shri Guru with more devotion.
    Once in spring, in the month of Vaishakh, a Muslim king came to the river along-with his harem of beautiful woman, wearing precious ornaments and clothes with many servants, elephants, horses, musical instruments and was enjoying joyfully.
    The washerman was looking at the splendor and glory of the king. He began thinking, 'How fortunate shall I be, if I could also enjoy such glorious life.'
    Knowing his intentions, Shri Guru asked him what he was thinking about. The washerman replied, 'I was just thinking what deity this king might have pleased, so as to have such splendor and glory? However I do not long for it. I have all my pleasures at thy feet.'
    Shri Guru said, ' you are struggling hard in life. Do you aspire to enjoy royal glory? If enjoying their objects does not satisfy the senses, they obstruct the path of 'Moksha' (freedom from worries of life and death). So you better take birth in a Muslim royal family and enjoy kingly life.'
    Washerman- 'Kindly do not ask me to go away from you'.
    Shri Guru- 'You will have birth in the Royal family of Bidar and I shall meet you in your later life, I shall also have another birth and shall be known as 'Narasimha Saraswati.' I shall be leading a Sanyasi's life.
    Saying this, Shri Guru allowed him to go, but again asked whether he would like to enjoy Royal life in that very birth or in the next birth.
    Washerman expressed, 'I am now grown old. It would be good if I enjoy royal pleasures from the childhood.'
    Soon after the washerman died. He was later born in the Royal family of Bidar. His account is narrated later in the 50th chapter of this book.
    Shri Guru was thus much praised and respected during his stay at Kuravpur, I am unable to describe all the miracles of his life, Kuravpur has become a famous holy place due to his residence. Shripad Shri Vallabha disappeared in the river Krishna on Ashwin Vadya 12, which is known as 'Guru Dwadashi'. Real devotees can still see here Shripad Shri Vallabha, the Dattatreya incarnate. Many have experienced this.'

Jai Sai Ram,
    Sanjiv

Offline san2004

• Blessings 2
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #14 on: August 08, 2005, 01:28:04 AM »
  • Publish
  • Om Sai Ram,

Chapter X
    Vallabhesh Saved from Thieves

Namdharak, - 'Please tell me the next birth (incarnation) of Shripad Shri Vallabha'.
    Shri Siddha- 'Shripad Shri Vallabha had many incarnations. All possessed the omnipotence of Shri Narayan. Devotion of Shri Guru is never futile. Shri Guru never disappoints his disciples. Therefore serve him from your heart. I shall narrate to you one tale as an illustration.
    Vallabhesh, a righteous Brahmin, was doing business. He used to go to Shripad Shri Vallabha Padukas at Kuravpur every year. Once he declared that if he made good business he would feed 1000 Brahmins at Kuravpur. Fortunately he earned good profit. He always recited Shri Guru's name. He started for Kuravpur with good money.
    Knowing this, some thieves also accompanied him. After two or three days, one night the thieve killed the Brahmin when he was asleep and wanted to take away all his money. In the meantime Shripad Shri Vallabha, with locks of hair on his head and trishul and Khatwang in his hands appeared on the scene. He killed three thieves; but one, who surrendered himself saying, 'I am innocent. I did not know that these three persons would kill the Brahmin. You are omniscient. Kindly save me'.
    Hearing his prayer, Shripad Muni told him to rub the "Vibuthi" (enchanted ashes) all over the body of the Brahmin, As soon as the enchanted Vibuthi was applied to the Brahmin's body, he woke up It was dawn when Shripad Muni disappeared from the place.
    Vallabhesh asked the person sitting by his side, 'why have you held me; who has killed these men?'
    The person replied, ' A great ascetic had come here. He killed these thieves with his Trishul. He saved me for you. He asked me to rub enchanted Vibuthi to your body. He woke you and made you sit by his hands. He has just disappeared. He might be the great god Shri Shiva.
    Hearing this the Brahmin realized that all this has been done by Shri Guru Shripad Shri Vallabh. Taking the amount from the thieves, he went to Kuravpur. He worshipped the Padukas (foot symbol) of Shri Guru with great devotion and fed about 4000 Brahmins.
    'Oh! Namdharak, though Shripad Shri Vallabha has disappeared he still comes to protect his devotees.

Jai Sai Ram,
    Sanjiv

Facebook Comments