Join Sai Baba Announcement List

DOWNLOAD SAMARPAN - Nov 2018

Author Topic: SHRI GURU CHARITRA  (Read 102988 times)

Offline san2004

• Blessings 2
    • Sai Baba
Re: SHRI GURU CHARITRA
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2005, 04:35:00 AM »
  • Publish
  • OM SAI RAM,
    Chapter XXXVI
    Code of Brahmin's Daily Rituals

There lived a pious Vedic Brahmin. He did not take food at others. He would beg alms of corn and maintained on the same. His wife was discontented and hot tempered. A rich person came to Ganagapur for Samaradhana (feeding Brahmins and others). But as this Brahmin did not accept food at others, his wife also was not invited and she was discontented for not having good, delicious food and sweets.
    Once a very rich person came to Ganagapur to observe Shraddha. He invited all Brahmin couples and offered good Dakshina (money), clothes and rich delicious food. She told her husband about this. He said, `If you wish you can go there, but as I do not accept food at others, I cannot come'.
    The wife went to the Brahmin host and said, `My husband does not take food at others. Can I come alone to you for meals?'
    The host said, `I invite Brahmin couples. So you can come with your husband.'
    The Wife could not know what to do. She came to Shri Guru Narasimha Saraswati and narrated to him her grievance and said, `I like to enjoy rich, delicious food. But my husband does not take food at others and so I am also not invited by anybody. At present a rich Brahmin is inviting all the Brahmin couples and offering them good Dakshina, clothes and rich delicious food. Kindly advise my husband to accept this invitation.'
    Hearing this, Shri Guru smiled and asked his disciples to call her husband. When he came, Shri Guru said to the Brahmin, `your wife desires to take delicious food. You should accept invitation of the Brahmin and fulfill your wife's desire. Married women should not be displeased?
    The Brahmin said, `Gurudev, I am observing vrata of not taking meals at others. But as per your adesh (order) I shall accept this invitation.'
    This Brahmin couple went for meals at the rich Brahmin's who offered them good, delicious food. While dining the Brahmin wife observed that dogs and pigs are also dining with her. Being disgusted, she got up, returned home and told this to her husband. He said, `I had to break my vrat for you and accept food eaten by dogs and pigs.' Both then came to Shri Guru.
    Shri Guru asked the wife, `How did you enjoy the food of the rich Brahmin host? You always blamed your husband. Now are you satisfied?'
    The wife said, `Gurudev, I am a silly woman. I broke the vrata of my husband by asking him to take food at others, kindly forgive me.'
    Shri Guru said to the Brahmin, `Your wife's desire of taking delicious food is fulfilled. Now she will act as per your wishes. I will tell you the rules of acting as per the order of religion. If a Brahmin is in need of a Brahmin for some religious function and for anniversary (Shraddha), you should go for meals. If you do not go, you will be committing an offense. You should take food at the Guru, disciple, maternal uncle, father-in-law, brothers and saints. If you recite Gayatri Mantra, you are not offended.'
    The Brahmin then asked, 'Kindly tell me which and at whose house the food should be avoided?
    Shri Guru, 'Good natured Brahmins should not dine at one who takes service from parents, who is greedy, who gives in charity displeasing his wife and children, who is proud, armed or a teacher of flute or outcast, who lives on begging, who praises himself and cajoles others, who does not observe viaishwadev. He should also not dine with a Guru who gets enrages. Who is cruel adulterous and a pretender, who forsakes his wife, a woman who lives forsaking her sons and husband, a Brahmin, who sells wine and does the profession of a blacksmith, a washer man or a gamblers, one who is a prostitute, a thief, a doorkeeper, who teaches a Shudra by taking money, who sells horses, who is Haridas (Kirtankar), one who does not bathe and does not observe Sandhya and Shraddha, who is treacherous, who despises others, one who forsakes his parents and cajoles his Guru, who kills a cow, a Brahmin or a woman, one who does not give in charity, who has no issue. Who despises one's food and praises the food of others. Food at such persons should also be avoided. If one takes food on Amavasya he loses virtue of one month. Unless one's daughter has an issue, one would not dine at her house. All these sins are wiped off if one abides by one's own religion.'
    The Brahmin further asked Shri Guru, 'kindly tell me the code of daily rites of a Brahmin.'
    Shri Guru-'I will tell you the code of rites of a Brahmin as narrated by Parashara to the Rishis in the Nemisharanya.
    One should get up on Brahma muhurta i.e. 2 hours (5 Ghatkas) before the Sunrise and bow to Shri Guru and god. Go to the southwest for excretion at a place away from the residence of people and the source of water. One should sit facing the south at night and facing the north in the morning and the evening. Arms, hands and legs should be washed with soft earth and water. He should take 2 'achman' (taking ten drops of water saying bow to Keshav, bow Narayan, bow to Madhav etc.) If there is no water at hand you should touch the eyes and ears. Seven deities stay at the right ear of a Brahmin as described in the following Slokas.
    (Fire, Water, Vedas, Sun, Moon and the Wind are the seven deities who always reside in the right ear of a Brahmin)
    Holy places on the Palm
    'Brahma Tirth' is at the root of the thumb, 'Agni Tirth' is one the palm, 'Pitru Tirth' is at the root of the thumb and the fore finger, 'Dev Tirth' is at the ends of the four fingers (except the thumb) and 'Rishi Tirth' is at the root of this small finger. While offering 'tarpan to forefathers, Gods and Rishi water, till etc. are to be poured though the respective Tirthas.
    Achaman
    Saying 'Bow to Keshav, Narayan, Madhav, the little water on the Brahmatirth is to be taken in the mouth and is to be drunk. The little water is to be poured in plate after saying bow to Govinda. If one is touched by a Shudra of an impure one, if one becomes wet in the rains, if one comes home from a funeral, one becomes pure by taking 2 achamans.
    Washing of teeth and mouth
    Teeth should not be cleaned by 'datoon'(stem of some tree) on parva , pratipada, shashti, Noumi, Dwadashi and on Saturdays, Shraddha and wedding days. This does not mean that the mouth, teeth and tongue should not be cleaned at all. Only datoon should not be used on these days.
    Datoon sticks should be taken of Babul, karanj, palm, aghada, audumbar and rui trees. After use the datoon should be thrown to the Southwest.
    Bath (Snan)
    Morning bath gives one lust, strength, life, intellect, pleasure and nutrition. A Grahastha and Vanaprastha should bathe in the morning and midday. A Yati, Tapasi on Sanyasi should bathe thrice while a Brahmachari should bathe once a day.
    If these is no sufficient water and in case of difficulty any one of the following alternatives may be chosen. 'Agnisnan'-means to stand in the Sun. `Mantra snan' means to sprinkle water on body after reciting `Apohistadi' mantra. `Bhasmasnan' means to apply bhasma or vibuthi all over the body. `Vayusnan' means to take the dust at the feet of the cow. `Tirthsnan' means to bring the idol of Vishnu in the mind. After saying `Apavitrah Pavitrova etc. if water is sprinkled on one's body, it is like a bath. A weak person should sponge his body with cloth dipped in warm water.
    Healthy persons should bathe with cold water. In case of difficulty do `upsnan' i.e. (wash hands, feet and rub the body with a wet cloth). If cold water is not tolerable, hot water bath should be taken. Water itself is pure. Heated water is more pure. A Grahastha should bathe with hot water. He should take achaman in the midst of the bath. Females should not bathe over their head daily.
    In the bath at home do not do `Aghamarshan' (saying of mantra wiping off the sins) and `Tarpan' (offering til to Gods, forefathers and Rishis). Do not take hot water bath on the day of birth of a son on day of Shraddha or death on Sankranti, Purnima and Amavasya. Take the darbha in hand, tie the hair on the head (shikha) with them, and enchant the water of your bath with `Apohishta' etc., mantra and three Gayatri. Take cold water first and then hot water.
    While taking bath in the river, face to the flow of the river and do `Aghamarshan'. In the bath at home, turn your face to the east in the morning and to the west in the evening. Bath purifies the body if taken after weeping, vomiting, sex-act and sight of bad dreams. A Grahastha should not wear wet and saffron cloth. He should have a `upwastra' such as dupatta. If there is no upwastra, the credit of the bath goes to Rakshas. The Brahmins should wear white dhoti and should have a cloth, a dupatta or a shawl on the body.
    Bhasma or Vibuthi
    After bath one should apply Basma or Vibuthi as per Shastra rules. If it is not available 'Gopichandan' should be applied. Devotees of Vishnu have vertical lines of Bhasma (tripundra) on the forehead. For acquiring long life one should apply bhasma with the middle finger, for devotion use the tarjani i.e. the 2nd finger near the Thumb, for food use the anamika i.e. the 4th finger Bhasma should not be applied on the day of Shraddha, Thread, Wedding and other ceremonies and after funeral bath.
    Darbha (kind of grass)
    These are required for Brahmayadna and Tarpan, Durva, wala, darbha, kush, kunda, wheat, paddy, mola, nagarmotha, Bhadra and mustha are the ten kinds of grass which can be used as darbha. Darbha should be brought on Bhadrapad and Shravan Amavasya and stored and used for a year.
    Brahma is at the end of the darbha, Rudra is at the root and Vishnu is in the middle. Pavitraka (ring) of darbha should be kept in a finger. Sins are wiped off due to this.
    While doing jap (recitation), tap (penance), homa, (sacrifice) and chanting of Vedas, gold or silver rings should not be taken off, for wearing the darbha pavitraka. Ring should not be put in the tarjani by one who has father. Ring with 9 gems destroys sins. A Brahmin should have a ring with at least one gem.
    Sandhya
    A Brahmin should start Sandhya after bath, early in the morning when the nakshatra (stat) is visible in the sky. He should offer 'Arghyas' (offering water) to the Sun at Sunrise. If the normal time for the Arghya has elapsed one more Arghya should be given.
    Mandesh demons are always fighting with the Sun. To nullify the obstruction in the rising of the Sun, these Arghyas are to be given. These Arghyas strike the demons like weapons and in order to wipe off this sin, one has to move round oneself saying 'Asavaditya Brahma...'
    Recitation of Gayatri
    After this recollect the names of Rishis etc. and recite 'Gayatri Mantra.' For this purpose a wreath of Rudraksha, coral beads or white stone beads should be used. The wreath should not have any broken beads. One should observe 'moun' (nonspeaking) while reciting. One should recite the morning and midday Sandhya after standing and the evening Sandhya after sitting.
    Recitation of Gayatri at home gives one credit; if done outside it gives double credit. If done on the bank of a river the credit is threefold, and if done at a cowshed or a vrindawan (Tulsi plant planted in the hallow stone or in brick construction) the credit is tenfold. The recitation at a place of Agnihotra, gives 100-fold credit; at a holy place or near a shrine of god it gives 1000 fold credit, while recitation near Vishnu gives crore-fold credit and near Shiva it gives immeasurable credit.
    Recitation made while sitting on a broken wood plank causes misery, and that done while sitting on grass, causes loss of good fate and glory. Recitation done while sitting on a stone causes disease; that done while sitting on bhasmasan causes cure of diseases. A blanket seat gives pleasure; a seat of the skin of a black deer gives knowledge, while that of the skin of a black deer gives knowledge, while that of the skin of a tiger gives salvation. Kushasan causes hypnotism and destroys all diseases and sins.
    The appearance (Dhyan of Gayatri in the morning Sandhya is of Kumari. Her color is red, her clothes are red. She is riding a goose. She has four hands and four heads.
    The appearance of Gayatri in the midday Sandhya is of a young lady. Her color is white. Her clothes are white. She is riding on ox. She has five heads.
    The appearance of Gayatri in the evening Sandhya is of an old lady. Her color is black. Her clothes are black. She rides Garud. She has four heads.
    Sunmukh, Samput, Vitat, Vistrat, Dwimukh, Trimukh, Chaturmukh, Panchmuykh, Shanmukh, Adhomukh, Vyapanjalik, Shakat, Y:ampash, Gnanthit, Sanmukhonmukh, Pralamb, Muohti, Matsya Kurma, Varaha, Sinhakranti, Mahakranti, Mudgar and Pallava are the 24 mudras (poses). Recitation of Gayatri with mudras is more fruitful. Gayatri has three parts (pad or charan), and they should not be recited without pause after each part.
    'Man' means mind and 'Tra' means Pran (soul). Recitation of a mantra should therefore be done with the union of mind and soul.
    A Brahmachari and a Grahastha should recite Gayatri Mantra 108 times daily. A Vanprastha, Yati or a Sanyasi should recite it 1000 (thousand) times. In case of difficulty one may recite it at least 10 times a daily.
    Recitation in the mind is the best. Whispering in mouth is medium and loud recitation is worst. While reciting, with a wreath, do not transgress the menu or the head bead. If it is transgressed 3 pranayams should be observed. Reciting Gayatri a crore time fulfills all desires. After jap, upsthan (prayer) should be recited while standing. Bow to ten dishas (directions), Gods, Brahmin, Guru, pronounce one's Gotra and birth name and end the ritual of Sandhya.
    The home should be swept daily land kept clean. The earthen floor should smeared with cow dung and water. Rangoli (stonepowder) designs should be drawn in the courtyard and before the shrines of worship. A Grahastha should keep a cow, a Shaligram, (soft black round stone as Vishnu), Gauya and Grihyagni at home.
    A Brahmin should perform Sandhya daily and should also worship gods daily. One who does not worship gods is like a beast. In the morning the worship should be done with 16 upchars and in the night, light of ghee (Aarti) should be waved before the shrines. Yama punishes those who do not worship gods. The eight places or objects of worship are as follows. The Shrine of gods, the Sthandil (earthen elevated construction for fire of sacrifice), the Agni (Fire), the Sun, the water, the heart, the Brahmin and the Sadguru. The Brahmin males should worship gods with Veda mantras, while the females and Shudras should worship with Purana mantras.
    Flowers brought from trees in the forest are of medium value. Those purchased are worst. The flowers grown by one self in one's house garden are the best. Flowers eaten by worms and having holes should not be used. Shri Durga should not be offered' `durva' (a kind grass), Kevada should not be offered to Shri Shiva, Tulsi should not be offered to Shri Ganesh and flowers of Dhotra and Rui should not be offered to Shri Vishnu.
    Keep the pot of water at the left hand all the articles of worship at the right hand.
    16 iuchars of worship should be observed devotedly with panchamrit (mixture of milk, curds, ghee, honey and sugar). Shankh (Conch) should be kept on the left and Ghanta (bell) on the right hand. After bowing to gods, do achman and the Sankalpa (pronunciation of desire of worship mentioning the time, year, ayan, ritu, month, paksh (fortnight, dark or bright) tithi (particular day of a month), Nakshatra (star), places of various planets on the day and purpose or desire of worship. Then start ordinary bath with water, panchamrit, abhishek (pouring water) chanting Purush Sukta, Vishnu Sukta, Shri Sukta, Lakshmi Sukta, Rudra Sukta, Pavaman Sukta, etc. (as per devotion all or particular Sukta or Suktas may be selected for Abhishek.)
    After Abhishek, dry the shrines with a piece of cloth and place them at their places and offer clothes, ornaments, Gandha, Halad, Kumkum, flowers or wreaths, Tulsi, bel leaves saying, `give me shelter, protect me.' Withered followers taken out of the shrines should be touched, to one's head and nose and kept aside to be immersed in the river or rivulet. The bhasma scented sticks be applied to forehead and the Tirth (holy water of bath of gods) should be drunk.
    For purification of food and wiping off 5 great sins, one should do waishwadeo in the morning and in the evening before meals. Homa in the morning is a sacrifice for god. Bali is given for the ghosts, and Tarpan is the sacrifice for forefathers. At the time of dinner, one should wait for a guest. If a guest comes, give him food. If he is a Yati, give him food and water also.
    Before taking meals wash your feet, hands and the mouth. If an unknown person dines with you, offer him food at a distance. There should not be distinction of food for persons dining at a time. After four Chitrahutis take five Pranahutis. Observe `moun' during meals or at least up to Pranahutis. Do not leave things in plate except little for your wife. There should be no noise while taking water or liquid articles. If while dining the lamp goes off, then stop taking food till the lamp is replaced. While dining do not see and hear the words of females in monthly course, do not touch each other when dining.
    If gases pass, if the food contains worms or if there is vomiting, then stop dining. If hair is found, it should be put off and the food should be sprinkled with Tirth. If onion and garlic are taken one is deprived of Brahmanism. `Satwic' food increases knowledge, while `Tamas' food increases ignorance.
    While dining, first take liquid articles and then take others. Last `aposhan' should be half taken and half should be poured down. Wash your mouth with the forefinger. For purification of mouth and fingers, two achmans should be taken.
    After dinner, take pan and hear Purana. Evening Sandhya etc. And meals should be taken as in the midday. It would be better if articles prepared with milk were taken in the night.
    Do the professional work during the day. "Sour Path" should not be chanted after sunset. Before going to bed bow to the God and dedicate all the Karma (acts) of the day to him.
    Going outside at the fertilization period of the wife is sinful. During this time of the first four days Parvakal, Mul, Magha and Revati stars should be avoided for sex act. There should be no sex act on the Shraddha day and during daytime. If these rules are followed, even a Grahastha is a Brahmachari (i.e. follower of Veda Shastras in sex act). One should not enjoy with an older female. There should be no feeling of despise, or grief at the time of the sex act.
    The Brahmins who behaved as instructed by Shri Guru attained good "Parlok".
    JAI SAI RAM,
    Sanjiv

Offline san2004

• Blessings 2
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #46 on: September 03, 2005, 04:36:39 AM »
  • Publish
  • OM SAI RAM,

Chapter XXXVII
    Dharma of a Brahmin

Sri Guru explained the customs that Brahmins should follow. He said, "You should use Krishnajina in the house and keep the house clean. The prayer room should be clean and decorated with Rangoli. Meditate in silence and worship God. Wooden and stone idols may be worshipped, as they are forms and abodes of God. Sit on a good , clean seat and do Pranayama, worship God with flowers, and with faith worship Vishnu with Tulsi, as He loves Tulsi, worship Shiva with Bel-pathra. Ganapathi loves Durva. In the afternoon feed guests and visitors, whether touchable or untouchable. Lotus leaf and banana leaf are good to use for eating. You must not eat in lead or copper plates. Bronze plates are the best for eating. Eat sweet dishes first. Rice should not be eaten first. It will not get digested. Eating leftover food is forbidden. After food you may have Thambula, betel leaf and nut with lime. There is no harm if one eats food with ghee or oil. After food you should study the Vedas."
    "One must not sleep on the cremation ground, in a dilapidated temple, on the riverbank, near an anthill or a crossroad. Parashara Rishi has laid down these customs and Dharma. There is no difficulty for him who practices these customs as directed by the scriptures. He is revered even by the gods. Kamadhenu will come to his house. Lakshmi will live in such a house forever. Such a person will become a Brahmajnani."
    The Brahmin was happy to receive this guidance on Dharma and said, "Oh, ocean of mercy, you have taken this incarnation to redeem devotees. You are like the lamp of knowledge and you have removed the darkness."
    Saying so the Brahmin bowed at Sri Guru's lotus feet. Guru blessed him. This is the story of Guru Charithra. Whoever listens to it will gain great knowledge. It is a source of light for the ignorant.

JAI SAI RAM,
    SANJIV
    « Last Edit: September 03, 2005, 04:42:34 AM by san2004 »

Offline san2004

• Blessings 2
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #47 on: September 03, 2005, 04:37:47 AM »
  • Publish
  • OM SAI RAM,

Chapter XXXVIII
    Four Thousand Fed with Food of 3 Seers only

Someone did Samaradhna (feeding of Brahmins) on every day and Shri Guru was invited with his disciples. Once a poor Brahmin named Bhaskar, of Kashyap Gotra came there. He also wished to do Samaradhna and offer alms to Shri Guru; but due to poverty he was anxious as to how this could be achieved. He had gathered some flour and rice, which he kept in the math. Other Brahmins ridiculed him saying, `How can you do Samaradhna? Out of whatever rice you have, you cannot give even one particle to each Brahmin.
    Seeing his devotion, Shri Guru asked Bhaskar one day to do samaradhna. He was glad and even encouraged by Shri Guru's words. He brought ghee and vegetables and prepared the food after bath. All Brahmins thought that they would have to dine at their homes and have ordinary meals that day.
    Shri guru asked Bhaskar to invite all the Brahmins for Samaradhna. Bhaskar said that the Brahmins played joke with him. So it would be better if a disciple was sent. As instructed the disciple invited Brahmins to come to Math for Samaradhna.
    Shri Guru asked Bhaskar to bring the food prepared by him and cover it with Shri Guru's cloth. When this was done, Shri Guru sprinkled holy water from his bowl on the food and said, `without removing the covering cloth, take out the articles in other pots and serve them o the Brahmins
    The Brahmins sat for dinner. Food was served to thousands and yet much food was in balance. After the Brahmins, had taken food they were requested to send their wives and children for dinner. After them, all others in Ganagapur were invited for dinner with families. Then Shri Guru asked Bhaskar to dine. After his dinner, it was found that all the food originally prepared was still in balance. Shri Guru asked Bhaskar to throw the food in the river so that the creatures in the water would also be satisfied.
    This was a great miracle. The food sufficient only for three persons was provided to over 4000 persons. Several such incidents have occurred in the life of Shri Guru."
    JAI SAI RAM,
    SANJIV

Offline san2004

• Blessings 2
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #48 on: September 03, 2005, 04:39:57 AM »
  • Publish
  • OM SAI RAM,
    Chapter XXXIX
    60 Year Old Sterile Woman Begets Children
    There lived one Shounak Gotri, Apastamb Brahmin named Somanath. His wife Ganga was a devoted wife, pious by nature. She was 60 years old, but she had no issue. She used to come to Shri Guru and bow to him devotedly every day.
    Shri Guru being pleased, one day asked her, `Why are you worshipping me daily? What do you desire? God will fulfill your desire.
    She said, `Gurudev, a woman's life is futile without an issue. Without a son the home is like a forest. Issueless persons go to hell. Please give me a boon so that I will have a son at least in next life.'
    Shri Guru smiled and said, `Service to the Ashwattha will not be futile. There is an Ashwattha tree at the Bhima Amarja sangam. I am present there after the bath in the river. Therefore worship the Ashwattha devotedly. The greatness of Ashwattha is narrated in the Puranas. Brahmadev is at its root, Vishnu is in its middle portion and the Rudra is on its top and the Agni (fire god) lies in the interior of this tree.
    In the months of Ashadha, Poush or Chaitra, when Guru and Shukra are not set, when the moon is favorable on an auspicious day, observe fast and start worshipping the Ashwattha. Do not touch the tree on Sunday, Sankranti and in the evening. The floor at the root should be smeared by cow dung and have Rangoli designs. Worship the Ashwattha thinking it as a Trimurti, with 16 upchars, then saying Purushsukta and observing `moun' take rounds of the tree. Two lakhs rounds destroy even the sin of Brahmahatya. The Ashwattha gives four purusharthas. He also fulfills the desire of a son.
    Recitation of Mrityunjaya sitting at the Ashwattha on Saturday avoids accidental death and gives long life. One gets credit of feeding several Brahmins, if one Brahmin is fed under this tree. If one Ashwattha tree is grown, 42 generations are liberated; but if one Ashwattha is cut, it is a great sin performed. Home performed under the tree gives credit of a great sacrifice. Do Homa of one tenth of the number of rounds and feed Brahmins and give golden Ashwattha in charity.
    She started worshipping Ashwattha as advised by Shri Guru. On the third day, she had a dream. A Brahmin told her to go to Shri Guru at Ganagapur, have seven rounds of Shri Guru and take the prasad that is given to her and that her desire will be fulfilled. She awoke. On the fourth day she went to Shri Guru and had 7 rounds. Shri Guru gave her 2 fruits and said, `Eat these fruits. Your desire will be fulfilled.'
    She then completed her vrata of the worship of Ashwattha. During meals she ate the fruits given by Shri Guru. In the evening she started menses. On the fourth day after bath she went to Shri Guru and bowed to him. She had sex act on he fifth day. She became pregnant, In the seventh month she was given `Oti' and she gave `vayan' to married women. `Seemant' was performed in the 8th month. After 9 months she begot a daughter.
    After 10 days she came to Shri Guru with the baby. Shri Guru smiled and blessed her baby and said, `You will have one more son, what do you prefer? A well-behaved son of 30 years of age or a fool having 100 years' life?'
    The woman said, `I would like to have a well-behaved son, who should have 5 sons.' Shri Guru blessed her, as she desired. Later on she had a son who became learned and won fame. He had 5 sons in course of time. The daughter's husband performed sacrifices and was well-known as `Dixit.'

Jai Sai Ram,
    Sanjiv

Offline san2004

• Blessings 2
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #49 on: September 03, 2005, 04:41:39 AM »
  • Publish
  • OM SAI RAM,

Chapter XL
    Leper Brahmin Cured

Once a Brahmin `Narahari' by name came to Shri Guru at Ganagapur and bowing to him said, `My life is futile. I studied Yajurveda, but as I am suffering from leprosy. All people despise me and do not invite for Karma. I have visited several holy places but the disease is there, kindly bless me.'
    Shri Guru gave him a dry log of Audumbar and said, `Go to the Sangam and plant it on the bank of Bhima in the east. After bath, worship Ashwattha at the Sangam. Again bathe and give water to this log thrice a day. When it sprouts green foliage, your sins will be wiped off and you will be free from leprosy.
    As instructed by Shri Guru, Narahari planted the log on the bank of Bhima and began to water it thrice. Some persons said to him, `Are you mad? How can a dry log bear green foliage? Still Narahari continued his watering of the log devotedly. He also observed fast for 7 days.
    Shri Guru was informed by his disciples regarding the devoted service of Narahari to the log. Shri Guru said, "One gets the fruits as per one's devotion. There is a tale in the Skandha Purana in this connection.
    Soot narrated to the Rishis, `In former days there lived a king Sinhaket in Panchal. His son Dhananjaya once went to a forest with a Shabardut, who picked up a Linga-like stone near a Shiva Temple. Rajkumar asked him `What will you do with this stone ? There are so many Lingas like this spread over here.'
    Shabardut said, `I wish to worship this Linga daily. Please tell me how to worship it.'
    Rajkumar said, `Take this Linga home, worship it with flowers and bel leaves along with your wife. Offer naiveidya of fresh chita (corpse) bhasma daily. Whatever food you have, should also be offered.' The Shabar took the Linga home and started the worship. One day, he could not get fresh Chita bhasma. He was much worried. His devoted wife said, `Burn my body and offer Chita bhasma to god Shiva, `the Shabar was very much pained to hear this. He said, `I shall be doing a great sin if I burn you.' The wife said, `Death will occur some day or the other. If I give my body for Shiva's worship, I shall have place in Kailas. So you need not be sorry.'
    The Shabar burnt her and the Chita bhasma was offered to the Shiva Linga. As usual he called his wife to take prasad. She also came smiling and took the prasad. The home appeared to be normal, as if nothing had occurred. Seeing this, the Shabar was much astonished. His wife said, `I heard your voice and was as if aroused from sleep. `Gouri Raman Shiva appeared before them. Both bowed to him Shri Shiva was pleased and blessed the couple. Such is the greatness of the devotion of Guru. One who has implicit faith in the words of Guru's gets such fruit.'
    Shri Guru went to the Sangam to see the leper Brahmin. He was pleased to see his devotion. The Brahmin was giving water to the log. Shri Guru sprinkled the holy water of his bowl on the log and instantly green foliage sprouted on the log. The leprosy of the Brahmin disappeared and his body became healthy and bright. Narahari bowed to Shri Guru and began to pray Him.
    He composed 8 slokas, which are being chanted at Ganagapur in the night, after Aarti daily, till now.
    Shri Guru placed his hand on the head of Narahari and blessed him. He returned to the Math with Narahari. All persons wondered to see this miracle. Many did Samaradhna. Shri Guru named Narahari as 'Yogeshwara' and asked him to come with his family and live with him. Shri Guru gave him "Vidya Saraswati" mantra also.

Jai Sai Ram,
    Sanjiv

Offline san2004

• Blessings 2
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #50 on: September 07, 2005, 11:05:32 PM »
  • Publish
  • OM SAI RAM,

Chapter XLI
    Sayamdev Serves Shri Guru: His Kashikhand Mahayatra

Namdharak. `How did my forefathers serve Shri Guru?'
    Shri Siddha - Your grand father's father, Sayamdev, had worshipped Shri Guru at Osargram. Shri Guru had affection for him. Shri Guru later came and stayed at Ganagapur. His fame spread all over the country. Knowing this, Sayamdev also came to Ganagapur. He came to the Math, bowed to Shri Guru and prayed him. Shri Guru was pleased. He placed his palm on his head, blessed him, and said `You will be my devotee for generations.' Shri Guru asked him to bathe at the Sangam and return for the meals to the Math.
    After returning from the Sangam, Sayamdev worshipped Shri Guru with 16 upchars and offered several delicious articles of food, as naiveidya. He dined with Shri Guru, who inquired about his family. Sayamdev said, `My relatives and sons are living at Uttar Kanchi (Gadganchi) hail and healthy. I wish to stay with you and serve your holy self now.
    Shri Guru said My service is difficult. I live in a town for some time, while in the forest at other time. It is troublesome to live in a forest. If your mind is firm then only you should stay here.'
    Sayamdev conceded and said, `A devotee of Shri Guru has no fear.'
    Three months passed. One evening Shri Guru went to the Sangam along with Sayamdev alone and sat below the Ashwattha tree. There was a great storm, followed by heavy rain, Sayamdev stood stretching a cloth over Shri Guru to protect him from the rain. There was a shivering cold in the night. So Shri Guru asked Sayamdev to go to the Math in the town and bring fire. Thick darkness and spread all over and there was lighting now and then. Shri Guru warned Sayamdev not to look to his right or left side. Anyhow Sayamdev reached the Math, took fire and returned. Out of curiosity, he looked to his right side and saw a Cobra going with him. He was frightened. He then looked to the left side. Here too he saw another Cobra. He recited Shri Guru's name and walked straight. He came to Shri Guru and lit the fire. The two Cobras came before Shri Guru, bowed to him and went away.
    Shri Guru said to Sayamdev, `Why are you so much afraid? I had sent these Cobras to protect you. I shall tell you a tale, about service to Shri Guru, to pass this night.
    `When Shri Shiva was sitting on a peak of the Kailas mountain with Parvati, she asked him, `How can Shri Guru be served with devituib.'
    Shri Shiva said, `One who serves Shri Guru with sincerity, can attain all that one desires. Brahma had an incarnation, which was called Tashthra Brahma. He had a handsome son. When his thread ceremony was performed his father sent the boy to a Guru for study of Vedas and Shastras. He served the Guru devotedly. Once there was rain and the water came in the ashram of the guru. The guru told the pupil to construct a lasting house with all conveniences, which should look always new. The wife of the Guru asked the boy to bring her a blouse, which should neither be sewn nor woven. The son of the Guru said, `Bring sandals for me, that would enable me to walk on waters and take me to any desired place. The daughter of the Guru asked the boy, `Bring earrings for me and a playhouse of an elephant tooth having one pillar and all the conveniences. Also bring pots in which food will be warm and which will not be black due to suit.
    The pupil took leave of Guru and went to a forest. He was anxious how all these things could be obtained. On the way he met an ascetic, who inquired `child, why are you so worried?'
    The Brahmachari boy bowed to him and said, `Kindly guide and protect me. It is my good fortune that I could see you in this forest. `He told him what his Guru, Guru's wife, son and daughter had asked him to do. He said, 'I am anxious as to how all these things can be achieved.
    The ascetic assured him and said, `Don't worry. Kashi is a holy place of Vishweshwar. You go there and worship Him. All your desires will be fulfilled. Kashi is known as `Anand Kanan'. One attains all the four purusharthas after going there'.
    The Brahmachari asked, `Where is Kashi? How can I go there?'
    The ascetic - I shall take you there. Due to you, I shall also have the fortune to see the holy place again.'
    Saying so both went to Kashi instantly by yogin power. The ascetic then told the Brahmachari to do Antar Grahayatra, Dakshin manasyatra and utta manasyatra. While visiting holy places bath should be taken there. Then do Oanchkroshi yatra; Shukla and dark fortnight yatras should also be performed. Worship nine Lingas and Kashi Vishweshwar. If your devotion to Guru is firm, Shri Shiva Shankar will be pleased and fulfill all your desires,' Saying this the ascetic went away.
    The Brahmachari performed all the yatras as instructed by the ascetic. Shri Shankar was pleased. He appeared before the boy and asked him to have a boon. Twashthrakumar narrated his account and mentioned the articles required for Guru, Guru's wife, son and daughter. Shri Shankar blessed him saying, `You will be as efficient as Vishwakarma.'
    The Brahmachari prepared all the articles skillfully returned to the Guru's place. The Guru was also pleased to see him back with success. He also blessed him saying, `You will be proficient in all Vidyas.'
    Shri Guru explained the greatness of Guru to Sayamdev in this way. By this time the sun was rising on the eastern horizon. Sayamdev said, `You explained Kashi yatra in details. While hearing the same, I could see and also visit the respective holy shrines, tanks and places with your holy self and thought as if we were in Kashi. He then prayed Guru with 8 slokas, which are daily, chanted after Aarti at Ganagapur till now.
    While praying, his throat choked and his hair stood erect on his body. Shri Guru was much pleased. He blessed him and said, `Bring your family and children here and stay with me. Do not bow to Muslims hereafter.'
    Sayamdev went to his place and returned to Ganagapur with his family and children on bhadrapad Shuddha 14, the Anant Chaturdashi day. This time he prayed Shri Guru with eight Slokas in Kannad. Shri Guru seated him by his side and inquired about all. Sayamdev had two sons. Shri Guru loved the elder, Nagnath. Shri Guru placed his palm on the head of Sayamdev and said, `You do not serve the Muslims now. You all have bath at the Sangam.'
    Sayamdev and his family bathed at the Sangam, worshipped the Ashwattha there and returned to the Math. Shri Guru said to Sayamdev, `Today is Anant Chaturdashi. All Brahmins worship Anant on this day. You too should do Anant Puja.' Sayamdev said, `You are my Anant.' Still Guru insisted on him to do the Anant Puja.

Jai Sai Ram,
    Sanjiv

Offline san2004

• Blessings 2
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #51 on: September 08, 2005, 11:17:52 PM »
  • Publish
  • OM SAI RAM,

Chapter XLII
    Significance of Anant Vrata

Shri Guru narrated the significance of Anant vrata to Sayamdev. He said, `Dharmaraj, the son of Pandu, did this vrata. He regained his kingdom, which was lost in a game of chess with the Kauravas. Thereafter the Pandavas were living in the forest with great sufferings. The Kauravas sent Durvas Rishi to the Pandavas for harassing them even in the forest. Shri Krishna, protector of his devotees, assisted Pandavas in difficulties. Once Droupadhi and the five Pandavas bowed to Shri Krishna and asked , `How shall we be relieved from this vanvas (living in forest)?'
    Shri Krishna advised them to do the Anant vrata. Shri Krishna said, `Anant should be worshipped on bhadrapad Shuddha 14. I will tell you a tale regarding this Vrata. In the Krit-yug there lived a Brahmin named Sumantu of the Vasishta Gotra. Deeksha was his devoted wife. She begot a daughter named Sushila. Later Deeksha died and in order to continue the Grahastha rites he married with Karkasha, who used to quarrel with her husband and daughter every now and then. Due to this, Sumantu was always dejected.
    As Sushila grew, she became fit for marriage. One day Koundinya came to Sumantu, who gave Sushila to him in marriage. In Ashadha and Shrawan months, Sushila and Koundinya lived with Sumantu, but Karkasha quarreled with Sushila daily. So Koundinya requested Sumantu to allow him to go home. Sumantu felt very sorry, as his only daughter would be going away. He said, `This is not my wife but she is my enemy. Now my daughter will go away. Where there is no peace, the home is like a forest.
    Koundinya consoled him. Due to his persuasion, he agreed to stay for 12 days more. On the 13th day Sumantu asked his wife to prepare delicious food for his daughter and son-in-law, as they were departing. Karkasha entered the inner room, shut the door and placed stones against the door so that it should not be opened easily. At least Sumantu gave wheat konda to Sushila and bade them good-bye.
    Next morning they reached a river. Koundinya got down from the chariot and went to the river for bath and rituals. Sushila saw that many females wearing red silk saris, had gathered in the sand and they were worshipping some god. Sushila went to them, and inquired what they were doing. The females replied, `We are worshipping Anant. By doing this vrata, all the desires are fulfilled.' Sushila took instructions from them. She gave 14 knots to a red string and prepared Anant and Shesha (cobra) of darbha and worshipped Anant with 16 upchars. She then tied the Anant on her wrist.
    Once when they were sitting, Koundinya observed the red string on the wrist of Sushila. He asked angrily, 'Did you tie this red string to keep me under your thumb?' She said, `This is Anant, by whose favor we got this kingdom and prosperity.' Hearing this, Koundinya took the string by force and threw it into fire. He remarked, `It is due to my penance that this kingdom is obtained by us.'
    Sushila was very dejected. She hastened to take out the Anant from fire and put it in milk. But due to this the Anant was enraged. The kingdom and all their glory was destroyed in no time and Koundinya became a pauper. Koundinya now repented and resolved that so long as he would not see Anant, he would neither drink nor eat.
    Having resolved, he started with Sushila and went into a forest. He saw a tree laden with fruits but no bird touched its fruit. Koundinya asked the tree if it had seen Anant. The tree said, `I have not seen Anant, but if you see, please speak to him about me.' Further he saw a cow and a calf. They were trying to eat grass; but they could not do so. Then he saw a big bull. Further he saw two lakes. The goose and other birds did not drink the water. Later he came across an elephant and an ass who could not speak. Koundinya had asked all if they had seen Anant. They all denied, but said if he saw Anant, he should speak about him to each of them. At last Koundinya was tried of walking and he lay down on the ground.
    In the meantime an old Brahmin came there and inquired about him. Knowing the cause of his worry he said, `I shall show you Anant. Come with me.' Koundinya followed him and saw a fine city. Brahmin seated Koundinya on the throne of precious stones and appeared before him in his real form. Seeing this, Koundinya was amazed and he bowed to Shri Anant and began to praise him. Shri Anant was pleased and gave him 3 boons. By the first he attained Dharma, by the second his poverty was destroyed and by the third he got abode in Vaikunda.
    Koundinya referred to the tree, the cow with the calf, the bull, the two lakes, elephant, ass and the old Brahmin. Shri Anant said, `The tree, laden with fruits, was a Brahmin, who was proud of his learning and did not teach his students, hence he became a tree. The cow had given an infertile land to a Brahmin in charity. The bull was a rich Brahmin who did not give in charity to anyone. The two lakes were two sisters who exchanged charity among themselves. The elephant is your anger and the ass is your vanity. The old Brahmin you met was myself. Whomsoever you have seen, are all liberated?
    After receiving the blessing of Shri Anant, Koundinya lived as a ruler for many years and in the end went to heaven.
    Sri Krishna told this to Yudhistra, who then worshipped Anant with devotion. Shri Guru told this Sayamdev and asked him to let his eldest son Nagnath to do Anant Pooja. Sayamdev did as advised, arranged grand samardhana and dined with Shri Guru. Sayamdev then returned to his place, kept the family there and he alone returned to Shri Guru to serve him. In this way your forefathers attained the favor of Shri Guru.
    Jai Sai Ram,
    Sanjiv

Offline san2004

• Blessings 2
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #52 on: September 10, 2005, 12:39:43 AM »
  • Publish
  • OM Sai Ram,

Chapter XLIII
    Tantuk's Shri Shailya Yatra on Maha Shivaratri

Tantuk, a weaver, was one of Shri Guru's devotees. He served Shri Guru devotedly. He did his profession till afternoon, then bathed and swept the courtyard of Shri Guru's Math. Maha Shivaratri was approaching. His parents and other relations started for Shri Shailya, and asked Tantuk to come with them. Tantuk said, 'My Shri Shailya is here' and he lived alone at home.
    Shri Guru asked him 'Why did you not go for yatra?'
    He replied, 'My yatra is at your feet.'
    On the Maha Shivaratri day Shri Guru went to Sangam for bath. Tantuk observed fast and he also went to the Sangam and bowed to Shri Guru.
    Shri Guru said 'All your relatives went for yatra. You only remained behind. Do you want to see Shri Shailya? Follow me, I shall show you. Shut your eyes and hold my Sandals firmly.' `Saying so, he took him to Shri Shailya within a moment. Shri Guru asked him to open his eyes. Tantuk saw Shri Giri before him. Shri Guru told Tantuk to do Kshour, bathe and see the Malleshwar. He went to the river where he met his parents and relatives. They asked him `why did you not come with us but came stealthily,' He asked, `I came just now with Shri Guru.' Some people did not believe in his words.
    Doing Kshour and taking `bel' and flowers he went to the temple. While worshipping, he saw Shri Guru sitting on the Linga. He offered Pooja with devotion and came back to Shri Guru who asked him, `Will you stay or come with me?'
    Tantuk said, `I saw a wonder today. While worshipping Shri Shankar, I saw you in the place. When you are there why people come so far? Kindly explain this to me.'
    Shri Guru said, `God is all over. But significance of the place is there. The greatness of this place is narrated in the Skandha Purana. Formerly Vimarshan was a king of the Kirat desh. He had won all the kings. He was adulterer, and ate was pious and devoted. She once asked the king, `You are adulterer and eat meat. Yet how are you devoted to God?'
    The king said, `I shall tell you an account of my previous birth. I was a dog in Pampa city. On the Shivaratri day all were worshipping Shri Shiva in the temple. I went there hoping to get something to eat. The people began to drive me out of the temple and beat me with sticks and stones. I ran round the temple and entered into a drain. I saw the worship of Shiva that was being performed there but due to the thrashing given to me by the people; I died in front of the temple. Due to that meritorious deed, I became a king in this life, but the nature of dog of eating anything has not left me.'
    The queen asked, `You narrated your previous life. Please tell me of my previous life.'
    The king said, `You were a Kapoti (Bird). You were flying with a piece of flesh in your mouth. A kite saw this and it attacked you, You ran in the forest at Giri and began to take rounds at the Shiva temple. The kite followed you all along. Ultimately you got tired, you sat at the top of the temple and the kite attacked you and took away the flesh that you had. You too died instantly. Due to the merit of the rounds of the Shiva temple, you became my queen in this life.'
    The queen further asks, 'What will be our future life? The king said, 'I shall be king of the Sindhu desh and you will be born in the Srinjaya desh and you shall again be my queen. Later I shall be the king of Sourashtra and you shall be born in Kdaling and shall be my queen. In the fourth birth I shall be the king of Gandhar and you will be born in Magadh and shall be my queen. In the fifth, I shall be the king of Awanti and you will be born in Dasharha and shall be my wife. Next I shall be the king of Anart and you being a daughter of Yayati, you will marry me. Seventh time I shall be the king of Pandya and 'Padvarma' will be my name. You being the Vidarbha princess 'Vasumati' shall marry me in a Swayamvara. After performing many sacrifices, I shall accept Sanyas and study Brahmavidya at Agasti Muni’s Ashram and in the end I shall go to the heaven with you.'
    Such is the greatness of the worship of Shri Shailya. 'Shri Guru then said, 'There is Kalleshwar in Gangapur. Thinking him as Mallikarjuna worship Him. 'Tantuk said, 'When I saw thyself at the place of Mallikarjuna, why should I worship other shrines?'
    Hearing this Shri Guru smiled and asked Tantuk to shut his eyes and hold his Padukas (sandals) firmly and instantly both returned to Ganagapur. Shri Guru sent Tantuk in the town to call his disciples.
    Seeing Tantuk in clean shave, people wondered and asked him why he had shaved. Tantuk said, 'I had been to Shri Shailya. Here is the bukka and prasad.' All laughed and said, 'We saw you here in the morning. How can you go to and return from Shri Shailya so soon?' He said, ' I had been there with Shri Guru and have just returned. Shri Guru is at the Sangam and he has asked me to call you.'
    Hearing this all were astonished. They went to the Sangam and praised Shri Guru. The persons, who had been to Shri Shailya, returned in a fortnight. They also wondered to know this episode.

Jai Sai Ram,
    Sanjiv

Offline san2004

• Blessings 2
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #53 on: September 11, 2005, 12:32:14 AM »
  • Publish
  • Om Sai Ram,

Chapter XLIV
    Nandi Brahmin relieved of Leprosy:
    He became a Poet

Nandi was a Brahmin suffering from Leprosy. He worshipped Tuljapur Bhavani for 3 years. He observed fast. He stayed near Bhuvaneshwari at Bhilavadi for 7 months and worshipped the deity devotedly. He was told in a dream to go to Shri Guru at Gangapur and that he would then be relieved of the disease.
    Nandi said, 'You are Goddess yourself, how do you ask me to go to a human being. I shall be here, no matter if I have to lose my life.'
    The Pujari also had similar dream. He and some others told Nandi, 'Do not trouble the Goddess hereafter and if you do not mind, we shall not allow you enter this Mandir.'
    Being helpless he came to Gangapur and went to the Math and bowed to Shri Guru. Shri Guru asked him 'Leaving the Goddess, why did you come to a human being? When you doubt, how can you be relieved of the disease?'
    Realizing that Shri Guru knew what was in his mind, he said, 'I am a dullard. Kindly forgive me. I have come for your shelter. Kindly protect me. I am very much harassed due to this disease. My wife also left me and went to her parents. Chandla Devi has sent me to you. Kindly do not drive me away.'
    Shri Guru asked Somanath to take Nandi to the Sangam and said, "Let him bathe at the Shatkul and have rounds of the Ashwattha. Give him new clothes, throwing away his old ones and then bring him here for meals."
    As advised by Shri Guru, Somanath took Nandi to the Sangam for bath. After bath his body became free from leprosy. After taking rounds of the Ashwattha, Somanath brought him back to the Math. Nandi bowed to Shri Guru and began to pray Him.
    Shri Guru asked him, 'See if all your body has been free from the disease. He looked to his body and found that some patches had remained on his thigh. Being afraid he asked 'After having your blessings why these patches should be here?'
    Shri Guru said, 'You came with a suspicion that what a man could do and so a little disease is there. You should stay here praying God, the little disease that is there will also be wiped off soon.'
    Nandi said, 'I am illiterate. How can I compose poems of praise?'
    Shri Guru asked him to draw out his tongue. When he did so, Shri Guru put little bhasma on the tip of his tongue.
    Instantly he became wise. He bowed to Shri Guru and began to compose poems in praise of Shri Guru. The summary of those poems is as follows: -
    'I was sinking in the worldly ocean, being deluded by the affection for my family members. I was roaming through different species as swedaj, Andaj, Udbhija and Jaraj i.e. animal life. Human life is the best of all. I had no knowledge in the Shudra birth. The birth of a Brahmin is the best amongst the human beings. But if a Brahmin is also a dullard, how can he have knowledge of Shri Guru?
    The blood of the mother and the semen of the father unite and a fetus comes into existence as a bubble. After 15 days it becomes liquid. Within a month a small solid fetus is formed. I the second month the head and the limbs take shape. When the five great elements i.e. the earth, the water, the luster, the wind and the sky unite, the soul enters the fetus. In the fifth month the skin and the hair are formed. In the sixth month the fetus starts respiration. In the seventh month, the ear, the tongue, the brain and the marrow become solid. In this way I was growing in the mother's uterus. The mother would eat hot, salt, sour, pungent and acidic articles, due to which I was greatly troubled.
    I then took birth. My span of life was fixed. Half of the time i.e. the nights were spent in sleep in vain. The remaining half is divided in the three stages, childhood, youth and old age. In the childhood, I had to suffer much. I wept due to pain in the stomach, but my mother thought that I was hungry and took me to her breast. And when I was hungry, she thought I was ailing and gave me bitter medicines. At times due to scorpion bite, in the cradle I would cry. She would then sing lullabies and move the cradle to and fro and tried to lure me to sleep or she would think that I am affected by some spirit and so the tried Mantra - Tantra and tied a black string on my wrist. My mother would take pungent and sour articles and I had to suffer from diarrhea, cough etc.
    In the youth, I was influenced by passion. I disregarded the parents and the guru and always thought about the female-sex. Due to vanity, I despised Sadhus, saints and old persons. How could have I adored Shri Guru during this period?
    In the old age cough, gases and other troubles affected me. My hair became white while taking care of my family and children. I lost my teeth, I could not hear well and see properly. Even in this state I did not serve Shri Guru. You are the protector and liberator of the universe. Please liberate me.'
    Illiterate Nandi composed such poems. All wondered to see his feat Nandi further said, 'Vedas say that the feet of Shri Guru are holy there is no other way than the feet of Shri Guru, to be free from the worldly sea. By the favor of Shri Guru, all my sins are wiped off. Shri Guru Narasimha Saraswati is like Kamadhenu. So people should adore him and get liberated.
    Nandi was later called 'Kavishwar' due to his poetry. The patches of leprosy on his thigh also disappeared in course of time. Nandi greatly rejoiced at the cure. He began to serve Shri Guru with more devotion.

Jai Sai Ram,
    Sanjiv

Offline san2004

• Blessings 2
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #54 on: September 11, 2005, 12:33:31 AM »
  • Publish
  • Om Sai Ram,

Chapter XLV
    Poet Narahari Becomes a Disciple of Shri Guru
    Once some disciples took Shri Guru to their town Hipperge. This is a holy place of Kalleshwar. A Brahmin Narahari lived there. He was a great devotee of God Kalleshwar. He daily composed five new stanzas in praise of Kalleshwar and worshiped him devotedly.
    People told him the greatness of Shri Guru and requested him to compose poems in his praise. But Narahari said, 'I have sold my tongue to Kalleshwar and I shall not compose poems in praise of a human being'. As usual he went to the temple to worship Kalleshwar. While worshipping, he had a nap and he got asleep. He saw a dream that Shri Guru was sitting on the Shiva Linga and that he was worshiping Shri Guru. Later the Linga disappeared and Shri Guru only was seen. Shri Guru smiled and asked him 'You do not believe in a human being and then why are you worshiping me?'.
    Narahari awoke and wondered about the dream. He repented for underestimating Shri Guru Narasimha Saraswati, who was all incarnation of Shri Shiva.
    Immediately he went to see Shri Guru, bowed to him and said, 'Kindly forgive me. Without knowing your greatness I underestimated you, but now I know that you are Kalleshwar himself. When Kamadhenu is at home, why should one be anxious? Kindly let me have your blessings. I wish to serve you hereafter.' Saying this he began to praise Him.
    Shri Guru was pleased. He gave clothes to Narahari and accepted him as his disciple. Shri Guru said to him, 'Kalleshwar is great. You continue to worship him. Narahari said, 'When you yourself are Kalleshwar, why should I worship other Kalleshwar? I shall not go away leaving thy feet now.' In this way, Narahari poet also became a great devotee of Shri Guru.'

Jai Sai Ram,
    Sanjiv

Offline san2004

• Blessings 2
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #55 on: September 11, 2005, 12:34:55 AM »
  • Publish
  • Om Sai Ram,

Chapter XLVI
    Shri Guru Visits Eight Places at One Time

At the time of Diwali festival, seven devotes of Shri Guru came to Ganagapur Math and requested Shri Guru to come to their places for Diwali. As Shri Guru loved them all alike, it was a problem before him as to whose invitation should be accepted Shri Guru said to them, 'You are all from different places. How can I come to your homes at the same time? You decide among yourselves as to where I should go first and where I should go later.'
    Each devotee wished that Shri Guru should come to him first. So they could not decide and began to quarrel, Shri Guru called the devotees one by one and told each of them 'I shall come only to one house. So don't argue unnecessarily.'
    Then the devotees said, 'Oh Guru, do not make any distinction between the rich and the poor. Please treat us equally. If you neglect us we shall end our lives, we serve you and we do whatever you say."' With these words they all prostrated themselves before him humbly.
    Thereupon Sri Guru said, 'All right, I shall visit you all. Rest assured about that.'
    One of the disciples asked him, 'How can we be sure that you will visit the homes of all of us?
    Then Sri Guru called each of them separately and said, 'I will come to your house, but do not tell others."
    All the seven devotees thereafter went back to their respective places, pleased.
    When the devotees of Ganagapur knew this, they requested Shri Guru; 'You should not go out of Ganagapur for Diwali.' Shri Guru promised them also that he would be there, and that they need not worry.
    In the morning of Narak Chaturdashi day, Shri Guru took eight forms and went to 7 places of 7 devotees and also stayed at Ganagapur Math. He accepted Puja in all the places.
    Later the devotees gathered at Ganagapur for Deeparadhan on the Kartik Poornima. Each one told that Shri Guru had been to him in Diwali and showed the cloth presented to him by Shri Guru. The people of Ganagapur said, 'Shri Guru was here in the Math during Diwali.' But on seeing the articles presented by Shri Guru all realized that Shri Guru had taken 8 forms in Diwali and they all were amazed. The conviction that Shri Guru is the incarnation of Trimurties became more firm and they adored him with greater devotion. He who worships Sri Guru will have all is desires fulfilled. All try to experience the value of Guru Bhakti, but fools cannot appreciate Amrit. Only Jnanis and devotees can relish the Amrit of Guru Nama.
    The Vedas and Shastras proclaim that he who looks down upon Guru as an ordinary human being will be born an animal. Sri Guru Charitra is equal to Veda-Shasta. Only Guru can liberate one from the throes of Samskara.
    Those who go to Ganagapur and serve Guru with devotion will surely get all their desires fulfilled. So listen, all of you purify your mind and visit Ganagapur.

Jai Sai Ram,
    Sanjiv

Offline san2004

• Blessings 2
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #56 on: September 11, 2005, 12:37:11 AM »
  • Publish
  • Om Sai Ram,

Chapter XLVII
    Parbati had Bumper Crops even in Scarcity

There lived pious farmer, named Parbati, in Ganagapur. He used to bow to Shri Guru when he went to Sangam in the morning an again at midday when Shri Guru returned. His field was on the way to the Sangam. Once Shri Guru asked him, "Why do you take this trouble daily? What is your desire?"
    Parbati said, "I wish that my field yields a good crop".
    Shri Guru, "what have you sown?"
    Parbati said that jawar was sown in his field. He further added, "It is due to your favor that this year the corp is good. I wish that you should kindly come to my field and have a look at the crop by your sight which showers nectar.'
    Shri Guru went to the field, looked at the crop and said, 'If you have faith in me, do as I bid you.'
    Parbati said, 'I shall obey you from the bottom of my heart'.
    Shri Guru - 'Till I return at midday, cut off this crop'. Saying so, Shri Guru went to the Sangam.
    Parbati approached the Revenue Officer and asked him to permit him to reap the crop on the rent as per the previous year.
    The Officer said, `This year the crop is good, hence the old rent will not suffice'.
    Parbati said, `I shall pay double the rent. So please give me permission'. The Officer agreed and granted the permission.
    Parbati took some men with him, went to the field and reaped the crop. His wife and children tried to prohibit him; but he did not listen to them. The wife complained to the Officer, `The crop is good this year; but before the harvest, my husband is reaping the field on the advice of a Sanyasi and is depriving us of food. Kindly prohibit him to cut the crop'.
    The Officer sent his men to ask Parbati why he was reaping the field before the harvest. Parbati said, `If the Officer has doubt of getting the rent; I shall pay the corn from reserve and keep my cattle at his door'.
    Parbati reaped all the crop. Seeing that Shri Guru was returning from the Sangam, he bowed to Him and reported that he had cut the crop as instructed.
    Shri Guru `You have reaped in vain!'
    Parbati `I have read the crop as advised by you. I have full faith in you.'
    Shri Guru `You will have the fruit of your devotion, the wife and children of Parbati said that they have lost their food. Parbati consoled them by saving, `Shri Guru is Shri Shiva incarnate. With his blessing,We shall have no loss. He told us to do this due to some unforeseen reason.'
    In about a week, there was a severe code and all the crops in the country were lost. Then on Mul Nakshatra, there was heavy rain, which was also harmful to the crops; but Parbati's field yielded hundred times more crop of good quality. All wondered to see this.
    The wife and children of Parbati also rejoiced. They begged apology of Parbati and repented for underestimating Shri Guru. The mention of all the above facts is made here in order to show the affinity of Shri Sai Baba to Shri Vithal of Pandharpur. One Sai Mandir at Phanaswadi, in the Girgaum area of the Bombay city, was formerly a temple of Vithal and it was known as "Shri Premal Vithal Mandir". In this temple the idols of Vithal and Rakhumai were installed by Shri Gajanan Vinayak Pradhan, as the temple itself was constructed my him as his own private property. However, Shri Vasant Shastri alias Aba Panshikar completely changed the Mandir and gave it the present form. One Shri Prabhakar Panshikar, is a famous actor on the Marathi stage and Shri Aba Panshikar is his brother. Shri Aba Panshikar was performing Keertans in the Vithal Mandir regularly. Shri Bhole Guruji, who is a Sai devotee, used to attend Shri Panshikar's keertans as he was staying very near the above Mandir, in the Mugbhat area Girgaum. Shri Bhole Guruji requested Shri Panshikar to start praying to Shri Sai Baba. Shri Panshikar was not aware of greatness of the saint of Shirdi up to that time and on being initiated by Shri Bhole Guruji, he gladly became a devotee of Shri Sai Baba. He very soon became a staunch and sincere devotee of Sri Baba and very soon thought of changing the Vithal Mandir into a Sai temple. It is because of the zeal and efforts of Shri Aba Panshikar that the Premal Vithal Mandir is now converted into a Sai Mandir and is now known by that name.
    In this temple, we see the idol of Shri Sai Baba in plaster, which is about four and a half feet high. This idol is seated on an altar. It will be seen from the photograph of the temple published along with this article that the original idols of Shri Vithal and Rakhumai installed in the temple have still be retained in the temple as Shri Sai Baba had reverence for that god as stated at the beginning of this article. The beautiful idol of Shri Sai Baba in plaster was made by one sculptor Shri G.V. Patkar. Though the temple was originally constructed as a private temple, still it was later on thrown open to everyone for worship and at present anybody can go and offer flowers or garlands to Shri Sai Baba or Shri Vithal - Rakhumai.
    In the rear side of this temple, there is a banyan tree about hundred years old. Around this tree we can also find the idols of Shri Datta, Hanuman and Pindi of Shri Shankar. In addition to that, there are the Padukas of Shri Sai Baba in silver in this area. These Padukas were installed at the October 1952.
    The practice of getting prepared the silver Padukas of Shri Sai Baba and give them to different people or institutions dedicated to Sai worship, was started by this temple. So far, the Sai Padukas got prepared by this Mandir have been installed at five different places. It may be noted here that the Padukas installed at the Sai temple of Smt. Ajibai Wanarse at London, were got prepared by this Mandir.
    "Service to humanity and Service to the dump mutes is the service to God" this was the motto of Shri Sai Baba and the management of this temple has borne in mind this fact. They have therefore coupled a social duty with this religious institution. On the first floor of this temple, arrangements have been made for the free accommodation of poor and deserving students, Who have no arrangements to stay in Bombay. A great number of students have taken advantage of this facility and because of the religious atmosphere of the temple; these students are grooved in Sai devotion from the young age of their life.
    Aarti, worship etc. are carried out at this temple every day as per those performed at Shirdi. Ramnavami, Gurupournima and Vijayadashami are the great festivals observed at this temple on the same lines as is done at Shirdi. This temple has started one more practice. On every Shivaratri day, the offering of fruits is made to Shri Baba and they are later on distributed to the devotees by way of prasad. Shri Pandurang Mahadev Warang is a staunch Sai devotee, who manages the daily affairs of the temple with great care. He is only thirty-one years of age at present, but for the last twenty-two years he is staying in the temple premises and is attending to the work of this temple. The management wants to expand the activities of the temple and arrange some further programs on a large scale; but due tot shortage of space they feel sorry that it is not possible for them. Shri Warang always says that all his difficulties are readily solved by Shri Sai Baba. This shows his great faith in Shri Sai Baba and his devotion to Him.
    Girgaum is a very crowded locality of Bombay city. They area round about Lalbaug and Parel which is known as the "Mill area" is perhaps another equally crowded area in Bombay. The people in the "Mill area" are so very busy in their struggle for existence that they have hardly any time to think about god or existence. The people in the Girgaum area are mostly white-collar people. They have regular hours of their office work. Similarly religious practices are imbibed in them from their childhood. Hence they find the need of a place for worship where they can get mental peace. The people who were formerly they devotees of Vithal have started visiting this temple for the worship of that god; but after seeing the idol of Shri Sai Baba in the temple and having come to know. His greatness, they automatically become His devotees. Thus this temple has a good place of worship for the devotees staying in Girgaum area of the Bombay city and is therefore frequented by a number of devotees every day.

Namdharak bowed to Shri Siddhamuni with folded hands and said, "gurudeo, you have narrated to me the life of Shri Guru and have given me the real gnyan(knowledge) which has wiped off my karma and by your blessing, I have known the essence of religion. Devotion to Shri Guru is like the Kalpataru and Rishis like Vashishta and Shuka also follow this path. Now kindly tell me the path of Sadguru."
    Being pleased with the question, Shri Siddha said, "Namdharak, you are very fortunate as you as you have asked question regarding the eternal principles, knowing with illusion and ignorance are wiped off and the mind becomes becomes as clear as the light of the sun.
    Once when Shri Shankar was sitting on a beautiful point of Kailas, Devi Parvati with folded hands said to him with devotion, "Great God of Gods, Guru of the universe, give me Gurumantra and kindly tell me the means by which one's soul becomes united with Brahma".
    Shri Shankar said, "Dear Devi, this is a question which has never been asked to me so far by anybody. You are my second form. So I shall tell you this gist and this will benefit all the people also".
    Veda, Shastra, Purana, Ithihas, Mantra-tantravidya, Smriti-jaran-maran(using the power of doing miracles by the devotees of Shiva and Shakti) and other various sciences put one in illusion. Without knowing the gist of devotion to Guru, people perform sacrifices, observe penance, vrat, charity, recitation and go to the holy places but only after the rise of the light of Shri Guru, difficult vidya, worldly illusion and ignorance are all wiped off. By serving Shri Guru, all sins perish and the soul becomes pure and united with Brahma.
    Taking the holy water, touched by the lotus like feet of Shri Guru, is like a bath at a holy place. This Tirth is as holy as Kashi or Prayag.
    Always remember Shri Guru. Recite Shri Guru's name all the time. Obey his orders, serve and worship Shri Guru with devotion. Doing this, one can even attain my position.
    The alphabet 'Gu' means darkness and 'Ru' means light. Guru means the knowledge of the light of Brahma, that destroys darkness of ignorance. 'Gu1 is the first alphabet to create illusion and other attributes. 'Ru' is the second alphabet of Brahma which destroys illusion and vain appearance. This power of Guru is supreme and is difficult even for the Gods to obtain.
    A Sadhak (disciple) should offer to Shri Guru good seat, bed, clothes, ornaments, conveyances etc. He should serve him with devotion for getting one's position, ashram, caste and pray him with body, senses, money, son, wife, etc. clearly and should not be ashamed to lay prostrate before him.
    Men go to hell by living in family life as one's body is full of worms, night-soil, urine, phelgm, slood, flesh and bad odor. Bow lo Shri Guru, who liberates a person from the worldly miseries.
    Shri Guru is Brahma, Vishnu and Mahesha and Para-Brahma. He is the cause of the creation of Universe, liberator of persons from this worldly sea and giver of the knowledge of all the vidyas.
    By applying the ointment of Shri Guru's knowledge to one's eyes, closed eyes are opened, parents, brothers, and good men who give real knowledge of worldly life, are all Gurus. Though there is diversity in the universe, yet there is oneness. Shri Guru protects one from all difficulties, showing the cause and effect.
    If Shri Shankar or Shri Vishnu are enraged, Shri Guru protects the devotees, but when Shri Guru himself is enraged, even Shri Shankar or Shri Vishnu cannot protect them.
    Just as the blind man cannot see the light of the Sun, so the dull persons do not see the nectar-like appearance of Shri Guru, which is visible only to the eyes of the thoughtful. Shri Guru is like a monarch, who is witnessing the drama of creation and destruction of the universe.
    Three Nath, Ganesh, 3 Bhairava Peethas, Siddha, 3 Batus, 2 Pad, 3 Dooties, Shri Shankar, 4, 6, 8, 9 Veeresh, 5 Veeravalies are all associated with the best 'Shri Malini' mantra. Bow to this Shri Guru mandal.
    To think about Shri Guru's body is like thinking about everlasting Shri Shiva and to recite Shri Guru’s name to praise to eternal Shiva's qualities.
    Shri Guru is birthless, devoid of oldage and has no begining.   He is self created, devoid of change, full of bright bliss, minutest of the minute, greatest of the great and eternal. He is self shining, spotless, sky pervading, everlasting and has no decrease. Vedas and Manu describe Shri Guru's penance in this way. Therefore always remember Shri Guru.
    By the knowledge of self, which is pervading all the universe, moveable and immovoable, sins of several births are atoned. There are no greater principle than the knowledge of self. There is no greater penance than the service of Shri Guru and there is no deeper knowledge than the advice of Shri Guru.
    Shri Guru is Jagannath (lord of the universe) and the Guru of the 3 Lokas. Shri Guru is the universe and our soul is the soul of all the creation. Bow lo Shri Guru, who gives this knowledge.
    The persons, who are proud of penance and knowledge and who are engrossed in the worldly affairs, are like the pots moving on the wheel of a pot-maker. Gods, Gandharvas, fore fathers, yaksh, kinnar, rishi, siddha, who do not serve Shri Guru do not get salvation.
    Bow to Shri Guru, who is supreme joy and who gives the best pleasure. He is shrine of knowledge, above division, sky pervading, knower of Tattwam Asi' (that thou art) principle, only one, External, pure, immoveable, who witnesses everything and who is devoid of existence and three qualities(Satwa Raj and Tam).
    To know one's self is the supreme knowledge and the utmost goal of life. This is attained only by the favour of Shri Guru.
    Remember Shri Guru till death. Even if he is fickle minded, do not forget or forsake him. The wise should not speak about Shri Guru with disrespect. Do not tell a lie before him.
    Those who despise Shri Guru go to hell. Those who discuss vainly with Shri Guru become Brahma Rakshas and have to live in barren and waterless places.
    Oh Parvati, Shri Guru protects his disciples, even if god, muni or pannag curses. Gods and munies are weak before Shri Guru, whose curses can destroy them in no time.
    O Devi, according to Smrities and Vedas, Shri Guru is Parabrahma. Guru is a mantra of two syllables.
    Bow to Shri Guru, who is pervading all the universe from Brahma to grass, who is eternal, whole, formless, devoid of qualities, engrossed in self-knowledge, above divisions and full of real bright-joy (sat-chit-anand rup).
    Brahma is eternal like fragrance in camphor and flowers and like the coolness and warmth in an object. This knowledge can be got only through Shri Guru. So worship and serve him with pure and dear heart and singular devotion. One, who is united with Brahma in meditation, realises Kundalini, Brahma Randhra and formlessness and gels salvation without doubt.
    The ignorant wins over the worldly sea and the wise besides gets knowledge of actions and no-actions by following the path of Shri Guru.
    Those, who read, hear or write Shri Guru Geeta and give it in charity with money, all their desires are fullfilled. Always read Sri Guru-Geeta to get rid of the miseries of the wordly life.
    Each and every syllable of Guru-Geeta enables to win death, remove all difficulties and fear of yaksha, Rakshas, ghosts, thieves, tigers and diseases. It gives the power of using Bhasma, mesmerism and hypnotism.
    O Devi, read Shri Guru-Geeta, sitting on a site of kush grass (dharbhasan) or white blanket with attentive mind. Use a white seat for peace, red for mesmerising, black for punishing the evildoers and yellow for getting wealth. For peace, sit facing the north, for mesmerising facing the east, for punishing the evildoers facing the south and for wealth facing the west.
    Recitation of Guru-Geeta, gives one incentive power, develops one's qualities, destroys evil acts, makes good acts successful, removes fear of Gra has (planets), destroys evil dreams, gives issues even to sterile women, gives goodluck to the married women (keep their husbands alive all their lives) and gives peace of mind.
    If a widow reads Shri Guru-Geeta without object, she gets salvation. If she reads with desire, she will get a good husband in the next birth and all her miseries, difficulties and curses will perish.
    Shri Guru-Geeta is like a Kamadhenu to those who read it with some expectation. It is like a kalpataru to those, who read with desires. It is like a chintamani to the thinkers of everything good. If you read it for salvation you get salvation, if you read it for worldly pleasures, you will get them.
    One can read Shri Guru-Geeta with some object, sitting on a bank of a river or the sea shore, in the mandir of Vishnu, Shiva, Devi or other God, math, cowshed, under vat, awala, mango tree or near a plant of Tulsi or dhotra or in the cremation ground at an lonely but clean and neat place.
    Even though a devotee of Shri Guru may be a fool, still he is great, all his good acts, penance, vral, diksha become successful. They are never futile.
    As Shri Guru knows Brahma, he is always pure and whereever he goes, there is the presence of od, Tirth and Peeth. One who reads Guru-Geeta sitting or lying on a bed, standing, walking, speaking, riding on a horse or an elephant, is pure. He has no rebirth.
    A soul is one with God, just as the water in the sea, the milk in the milk pot, the ghee in the ghee-pot and the sky in the broken pot aro one with them, similarly the Dnyani (learned), is united with  God and lies lost in himself day and night.
    O Parvati, when one is blessed by Shri Guru, all his doubts vanish, goddess Saraswati resides on his tongue and he gets both the pleasures and salvation by the favour of Shri Guru. One's recitation, vrat and penance of several births bear fruit.
    O Waranane (having good face), I told you, this principle of Sankhya sastra One God, one religion, one devotion, one penance are nothing else but Shri Guru himself. There is no higher principle .ban that of Shri Guru.
    The home, where is devotion of Shri Guru, parents, family and race, is fortunate. Those, who do not adore Shri Guru due to Vanity of knowledge and penance, are unfortunate.
    Even to Brahma, Vishnu, Mahesh, Gods, Rishi, Forefathers, kinnar, siddha, charan, yaksh, munies, the favour of Shri Guru, is like the great holy Tirth. Shri Guru's Tirth is the root of all the Tirths.
    If one reads Shri Guru-Geeta in travel, or during war, at the time of the attack of an enemy, he gets victory in life and salvation at death.
    If Shri Guru-Geeta is read with evil acts, at evil places and with fickle mind, it gives evil effects.
    As you are dear to me, I have told this gist to you. Keep it with yourself. Tell this to one, who is not engrossed in wordly pleasures and has devotion; but do not tell it to him, who is not devoted, who is a deceit, cunning, atheist and who discusses vainly.
    Here ends the gist of Shri Guru-Geeta in the form of a dialogue between Ishwar and Parvati, included in the Uttarkhand of Skand Purana.

Jai Sai Ram,
    Sanjiv

Offline san2004

• Blessings 2
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #57 on: September 11, 2005, 12:38:35 AM »
  • Publish
  • OM SAI RAM,

Chapter XLVIII
    Amarja Sangam and the Greatness of Ganagapur

On the parva day of Ashvin Vad 14, Shri Guru said to the disciple, 'We shall have bath at trishali (3 Holy places i. e. Prayag, Kashi and Gaya) with family and children.
    The disciple said, 'For such a long journey, we require some time for preparations'.
    Shri Guru, 'These holy places are near about. So there is no need for special preparation.'
    Saying this he went with them all to the sangamam. All took bath there. Shri Guru said, 'The Sangam is like Prayag. Bhima flows there northwards. This Amarja Sangam is as holy as the Ganga-Yamuna Sangam of Prayag. There are other eight holy places (Tirthas) near about.'
    The disciples, -'Why this river is called Amarja?'
    Shri Guru, -'Jallundhar Rakshasas were on War. Indra went to Shri Shankar and said, 'We kill Rakshas but from each drop of their blood, new Rakshasas are born and they have spread in Three Lokas. They have killed many Gods.'
    Hearing this, Shri Shankar was enraged and started to kill the Rakshas in the form of Rudra. Indra said, 'You will kill the Rakshas: but kindly suggest any device to make the gods alive.'
    Shri Shankar recited Amrit mantra and gave a jar filled with nectar. Indra sprinkled the nectar on the Gods and made them alive. While Indra was going with the jar of the remaining nectar some drops fell on the earth and a river was created called 'Amarja'. Bath in this river prevents diseases and untimely death. This river meets Bhima and this Sangam is great like Triveni Sangam of Prayag. Bath in this Kartik and Magha months, on Somwati, Sankratini grahan (eclipse) Parva at this Sangam is very virtuous.
    Before this Sangam is the Ashwattha, bath near which fulfills all the desires. I also live here. After worshipping this Ashwattha, worship the 'Sangameshwar' with devotion. This is like Mallikarjuna of Shri Shailya. Bow to Nandi and Chandi, have three rounds and see Shiva Shankar.
    There is the 'Varanasi' Tirth i. e. Kashi one mile ahead. One Brahmin of Bharadwaj Gotra was a great devotee of Shri Shiva. He roamed everywhere without clothes, people called him 'mad'. He had two brothers Ishwar and Pandurang. They were thinking of going to Kashi. At this time one devotee of Shri Shiva came there and said to his brothers, ' Why do you go to Kashi? Here is Kashi Vishweshwar.' The brothers said, 'Where is it? Show us'.
    The devotee took a bath and sat in meditation. Shri Shankar appeared before him. The devotee requested him to create an idol of Kashi Vishweshwar there for daily worship and Darshan. Shri Shankar conceded and Manikarnika Kund was created first and the shrine of Kashi Vishweshwar came out of it. A river flowing northward like Bhagirathi also came into existence. All the principal places of Kashi were thus created here. Both the brothers then worshipped Kashi Vishweshwar. These brothers lived at Pandharpur and were known as 'Aradhye'.
    Hearing this from Shri Guru, all took bath there and worshipped Shri Vishweshwar with devotion and observed other rites.
    Shri Guru -'Here is ' Papavinashi Tirth' bath in which destroys all sins.' Shri Guru called his sister Ratnai here and said, 'You had killed a cat with a stick and therefore you are having leprosy. You bathe in this Tirth daily and your disease will disappear.' As advised, she bathed here for three days and her disease was wiped off.
    A little further is 'Koti Tirth'. One should bathe here on Sankranthi, Grahan, Poornima and Amavasya and give a cow with a calf in charity. Further to this is 'Rudra Tirth'. It is as holy as Gaya. Observe Shraddha here.
    Further is 'Chakra Tirth' like Dwarka. Beyond is 'Manmath Tirth'. To the east of it, is 'Kalleshwar' like Gokarna Mahabaleshwar. By doing this, eight glories are obtained.'
    Shri Guru thus narrated the greatness of the eight holy places and all were pleased. They bathed and observed other rites and returned to Gangapur with Shri Guru. A grand samardhana was arranged jointly.

Jai Sai Ram,
    Sanjiv

Offline san2004

• Blessings 2
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #58 on: September 11, 2005, 12:40:33 AM »
  • Publish
  • OM SAI RAM,

Chapter IL
    The Gist of Guru Geeta

Namdharak bowed to Shri Siddha Muni with folded hands and said, "Gurudev, you have narrated to me the life of Shri Guru and have given me the real gnyan (knowledge) which has wiped off my karma and by your blessing, I have known the essence of religion. Devotion to Shri Guru is like the Kalpataru and Rishis like Vasishta and Shuka also follow this path. Now kindly tell me the path of Sadguru."
    Being pleased with the question, Shri Siddha said, "Namdharak, you are very fortunate as you as you have asked question regarding the eternal principles, knowing with illusion and ignorance are wiped off and the mind becomes as clear as the light of the sun.
    Once when Shri Shankar was sitting on a beautiful point of Kailas, Devi Parvati with folded hands said to him with devotion, "Great God of Gods, Guru of the universe, give me Guru mantra and kindly tell me the means by which one's soul becomes united with Brahma".
    Shri Shankar said, "Dear Devi, this is a question which has never been asked to me so far by anybody. You are my second form. So I shall tell you this gist and this will benefit all the people also".
    Veda, Shastra, Purana, Ithihas, Mantra-tantra vidya, Smriti-jaran-maran (using the power of doing miracles by the devotees of Shiva and shakti) and other various sciences put one in illusion. Without knowing the gist of devotion to Guru, people perform sacrifices, observe penance, vrata, charity, recitation and go to the holy places but only after the rise of the light of Shri Guru, difficult vidya, worldly illusion and ignorance are all wiped off. By serving Shri Guru, all sins perish and the soul becomes pure and united with Brahma.
    Taking the holy water, touched by the lotus like feet of Shri Guru, is like a bath at a holy place. This Tirth is as holy as Kashi or Prayag.
    Always remember Shri Guru. Recite Shri Guru's name all the time. Obey his orders, serve and worship Shri Guru with devotion. Doing this, one can even attain my position.
    The alphabet 'Gu' means darkness and 'Ru' means light. Guru means the knowledge of the light of Brahma that destroys darkness of ignorance. GU is the first alphabet to create illusion and other attributes. RU is the second alphabet of Brahma, which destroys illusion and vain appearance. This power of Guru is supreme and is difficult even for the Gods to obtain.
    A Sadhaka (disciple) should offer to Shri Guru good seat, bed, clothes, ornaments, conveyances etc. He should serve him with devotion for getting one's position, ashram, caste and pray him with body, senses, money, son, wife, etc. clearly and should not be ashamed to lay prostrate before him.
    Men go to hell by living in family life, as one's body is full of worms, night soil, urine, phlegm, blood, flesh and bad odor. Bow to Shri Guru, who liberates a person from the worldly miseries.
    Shri Guru is Brahma, Vishnu and Mahesh and Para-Brahma. He is the cause of the creation of Universe, liberator of persons from this worldly sea and giver of the knowledge of all the Vidyas.
    By applying the ointment of Shri Guru's knowledge to one's eyes, closed eyes are opened, parents, brothers, and good men who give real knowledge of worldly life, are all Gurus. Though there is diversity in the universe, yet there is oneness. Shri Guru protects one from all difficulties, showing the cause and effect.
    If Shri Shankar or Shri Vishnu is enraged, Shri Guru protects the devotees, but when Shri Guru himself is enraged, even Shri Shankar or Shri Vishnu cannot protect them.
    Just as the blind man cannot see the light of the Sun, so the dull persons do not see the nectar-like appearance of Shri Guru, which is visible only to the eyes of the thoughtful. Shri Guru is like a monarch, who is witnessing the drama of creation and destruction of the universe.
    Three Nath, Ganesh, 3 Bhairava Peethas, Siddha, 3 Batus, 2 Pad, 3 Dooties, Shri Shankar, 4, 6, 8, 9 Veeresh, 5 Veeravalies are all associated with the best 'Shri Malini' mantra. Bow to this Shri Guru Mandal.
    To think about Shri Guru's body is like thinking about everlasting Shri Shiva and to recite Shri Guru's name to praise to eternal Shiva's qualities.
    Shri Guru is birthless, devoid of old age and has no beginning. He is self-created, devoid of change, full of bright bliss, minutes of the minute, greatest of the great and eternal. He is self-shining, spotless, sky pervading, everlasting and has no decrease. Vedas and Manu describe Shri Guru's penance in this way. Therefore always remember Shri Guru.
    By the knowledge of self, which is pervading the entire universe, moveable and immovable, sins of several births are atoned. There is no greater principle than the knowledge of self. There is no greater penance than the service of Shri Guru and there is no deeper knowledge than the advice of Shri Guru.
    Shri Guru is Jagannath (lord of the universe) and the Guru of the 3 Lokas. Shri Guru is the universe and our soul is the soul of all the creation. Bow to Shri Guru, who gives this knowledge.
    The persons, who are proud of penance and knowledge and who are engrossed in the worldly affairs, are like the pots moving on the wheel of a pot-maker. Gods, Gandharvas, fore fathers, Yaksh, Kinnar, Rishi, Siddha, who do not serve Shri Guru, do not get salvation.
    Bow to Shri Guru, who is supreme joy and who gives the best pleasure. He is shrine of knowledge, above division, sky pervading, knower of 'Tattwam Asi' (that thou art) principle, only one, eternal, pure, immovable, who witnesses everything and who is devoid of existence and three qualities (Satwa, Rajas and Tamas).
    To know one's self is the supreme knowledge and the utmost goal of life. This is attained only by the favor of Shri Guru.
    Remember Shri Guru till death. Even if he is fickle minded, do not forget or forsake him.
    The wise should not speak about Shri Guru with disrespect. Do not tell a lie before him.
    Those who despise Shri Guru go to hell. Those who discuss vainly with Shri Guru become Brahma Rakshas and have to live in barren and waterless places.
    Oh Parvati, Shri Guru protects his disciples, even if god, Muni or pannag curses. Gods and Munis are weak before Shri Guru, whose curses can destroy them in no time.
    O Devi, according to Smrities and Vedas, Shri Guru is Parabrahmah. Guru is a mantra of two syllables.
    Bow to Shri Guru, who is pervading all the universe from Brahma to grass, who is eternal, whole, formless, devoid of qualities, engrossed in self-knowledge, above divisions and full of real bright-joy (Sat-Chit-Anand Roop).
    Brahma is eternal like fragrance in camphor and flowers and like the coolness and warmth in an object. This knowledge can be got only through Shri Guru. So worship and serve him with pure and clear heart and singular devotion. One, who is united with Brahma in meditation, realizes Kundalini, Brahma Randhra and formlessness and gets salvation without doubt.
    The ignorant wins over the worldly sea and the wise besides gets knowledge of actions and no-actions by following the path of Shri Guru.
    Those, who read, hear or write Shri Guru Geeta and give it in charity with money, all their desires are fulfilled. Always read Sri Guru-Geeta to get rid of the miseries of the worldly life.
    Each and every syllable of Guru-Geeta enables to win death, remove all difficulties and fear of Yaksha, Rakshas, ghosts, thieves, tigers and diseases. It gives the power of using Bhasma, mesmerism and hypnotism.
    O Devi, read Shri Guru-Geeta, sitting on a site of Kush grass (dharbhasan) or white blanket with attentive mind. Use a white seat for peace, red for mesmerizing, black for punishing the evildoers and yellow for getting wealth. For peace, sit facing the north, for mesmerizing facing the east, for punishing the evildoers facing the south and for wealth facing the west.
    Recitation of Guru-Geeta, gives one incentive power, develops one's qualities, destroys evil acts, makes good acts successful, removes fear of Grahas (planets), destroys evil dreams, gives issues even to sterile women, gives good luck to the married women (keep their husbands alive all their lives) and gives peace of mind.
    If a widow reads Shri Guru-Geeta without object, she gets salvation. If she reads with desire, she will get a good husband in the next birth and all her miseries, difficulties and curses will perish.
    Shri Guru-Geeta is like a Kamadhenu to those who read it with some expectation. It is like a Kalpataru to those, who read with desires. It is like a Chintamani to the thinkers of everything good. If you read it for salvation you get salvation, if you read it for worldly pleasures, you will get them.
    One can read Shri Guru-Geeta with some object, sitting on a bank of a river or the sea shore, in the Mandir of Vishnu, Shiva, Devi or other God, math, cowshed, under vat, awala, mango tree or near a plant of Tulsi or dhotra or in the cremation ground at a lonely but clean and neat place.
    Even though a devotee of Shri Guru may be a fool, still he is great, all his good acts, penance, vrata, diksha become successful. They are never futile.
    As Shri Guru knows Brahma, he is always pure and wherever he goes, there is the presence of God, Tirth and Peeth. One who reads Guru-Geeta sitting or lying on a bed, standing, walking, speaking, riding on a horse or an elephant, is pure. He has no rebirth.
    A soul is one with God, just as the water in the sea, the milk in the milk pot, the ghee in the ghee-pot and the sky in the broken pot are one with them, similarly the Dnyani (learned), is united with God and lies lost in himself day and night.
    O Parvati, when one is blessed by Shri Guru, all his doubts vanish, goddess Saraswati resides on his tongue and he gets both the pleasures and salvation by the favor of Shri Guru. One's recitation, vrata and penance of several births bear fruit.
    O Waranane (having good face), I told you, this principle of Sankhya Sastra One God, one religion, one devotion, one penance are nothing else but Shri Guru himself. There is no higher principle than that of Shri Guru.
    The home, where is devotion of Shri Guru, parents, family and race, is fortunate. Those, who do not adore Shri Guru due to Vanity of knowledge and penance, are unfortunate.
    Even to Brahma, Vishnu, Mahesh, Gods, Rishi, Forefathers, kinnar, Siddha, charan, yaksh, Munis, the favor of Shri Guru, is like the great holy Tirth. Shri Guru's Tirth is the root of all the Tirth.
    If one reads Shri Guru-Geeta in travel, or during war, at the time of the attack of an enemy, he gets victory in life and salvation at death.
    If Shri Guru-Geeta is read with evil acts, at evil places and with fickle mind, it gives evil effects.
    As you are dear to me, I have told this gist to you. Keep it with yourself. Tell this to one, who is not engrossed in worldly pleasures and has devotion; but do not tell it to him, who is not devoted, who is a deceit, cunning, atheist and who discusses vainly.
    Here ends the gist of Shri Guru-Geeta in the form of a dialogue between Ishwar and Parvati, included in the Uttarkhand of Skandha Purana.

Jai Sai Ram,
    Sanjiv

Offline san2004

• Blessings 2
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #59 on: September 11, 2005, 12:41:55 AM »
  • Publish
  • Om Sai Ram,

Chapter L
    The Muslim King Comes to See Shri Guru

We have seen a reference of a Rajak in the 9th chapter. By the blessing of Shripad Shri Vallabha, he was born in a Muslim Royal family and he became king of Bidar. Due to devotion of previous birth he was kind and pious. He treated all religions and sects equally. There were several temples for which he had due sympathy. He also had respect for Brahmins. Muslim priests despised Brahmins and Vedic religion. But king said to them, "God is one. Only the names are different. All are created from 5 great elements (Pancha --- Mahabhoot). The earth is the mother of all. Cows are different colors, but their milk is white. Ornaments may be many, but the gold is the same. Similarly Paramatma (God) is everywhere. So make no difference between the religions and castes."
    Thus the king was ruling impartially. Once he had a tumor on his thigh, Vaidyas and Hakims treated him but to no effect. The king had great pain due to it. He called some Brahmins and requested them to suggest a remedy.
    The Brahmins said, "Sins of the previous birth harass one in the form of some disease. For this, visit holy places and give something in charity. Live in the company of saints. You go to the Papavinashi Tirth and bathe there. The tumor will subside."
    The king went to the Papavinashi Tirth. He met a Sanyasi there. He bowed to him and showed him his tumor The Sanyasi said, - "When you see a saint, you will be relieved of the disease. I shall tell you a tale in this connection."
    "A Brahmin lived in Awanti i.e., Ujjain. He gave up bath and the Brahmin's rites i.e., Sandhya, Puja etc. and lived with a prostitute named Pingla. Once Rishabha Muni came to them. They treated him well. They worshiped him and took the Tirth of his feet. When the Muni was asleep, both served him keeping awake the whole night. Next morning the Muni went away. Later on in their old age, both the Brahmin and Pingla died.
    The Brahmin became the son of king Vajrabahu in the next birth. When he was in Sumati's (eldest) womb, the younger queen became jealous and she gave poison to the eldest queen, who got eruptions all over the body. She delivered a male child, who was also affected by eruptions all over the body. The king got them treated by physicians but they could be cured. The king suspected that the infection would spread in the whole family and he therefore asked a fisherman to take the queen and her son to the forest and leave them there. People were sorry to know about this evil act of the king. Sumathi was roaming in the forest with her son in despair. Due to exertion, she was thirsty and was searching for water. She came to a Mandir and met some females, who told her, "Padmakar is the king of this country. He is kind and pious. He will protect you." In the mean time some maidservants of the king came there. Sumathi narrated to them her sad account. They took Sumathi to the palace and reported to the king about her. The king was very kind and he arranged for her stay.
    Here too the eruptions on the body of the mother and son harassed them. One day due to unbearable pain, the child expired. Sumathi began to weep bitterly. The ladies of the neighborhood tried to console her, but she continued mourning.
    In the meanwhile Rishabha Muni came there. King Padmakar received him warmly. As he heard a mourning sound he inquired. Padmakar narrated to him the sad account of Sumathi. Rishabha Muni came to her and began to console her, saying, "It is futile to mourn for the bygone. All lives are like bubbles in water, this body is made of five elements and when these elements separate, nothing remains behind. So do not mourn for the perishable body. One has to suffer as per one's previous actions. For self-emancipation adore Shri Shankar".
    Sumathi said, "I had to come here leaving the kingdom and here too I met this fate. Now I do not wish to live any longer." Saying so she fell on the feet of the Muni.
    The Muni was moved to see her state. He remembered the service that her son had given him in his last birth. He applied a little Bhasma to his forehead and put a little in his mouth. Suddenly the child got life and began to move. The eruptions on his body and on his mother's body also vanished by the powerful sight of the Muni. Both looked as bright as gold. Sumathi and the child bowed to the Muni devotedly. The Muni blessed them and went away. The greatness of the blessing of a saint is like this. "If you serve a saint you will be relieved from the tumor."
    The Muslim king asked with folded hands, "Kindly tell me where there is a saint, I shall go there". The Sanyasi said "Shri Guru lives at Ganagapur on the bank of Bhima. You go to him."
    The king immediately went to Ganagapur and inquired about Shri Guru. The people were afraid when the saw that the Muslim king had come to Ganagapur. They did not speak due to fear. When the king asked again he was told that Shri Guru had gone to the Sangam and he would return soon. Hearing this, the Muslim king started to go to the Sangam. On the way he saw Shri Guru coming. He came down Palanquin and bowed to Shri Guru respectively.
    Shri Guru said, " O, Rajak, where have you been so far? I am seeing you after a long period".
    Hearing this, the Muslim king recollected his life of last birth. He lay prostrate before Shri Guru and began to shed tears of love and joy. With choked voice he asked "Gurudev, why did you keep me away so long? Being entangled in the royal pleasures, I forgot you. Now I have come to your shelter. Liberate me. I am much harassed due to this tumor on my thigh."
    Shri Guru smiled and said, "Show me, where is the tumor?". The king began to look his thigh. But no! The tumor had vanished! He said, "By your blessings, I could enjoy the royal pleasures and glory. All my desires are fulfilled. I now wish that your holy self should come to my palace and bless my family members."
    Shri Guru said, "We are Sanyasis. We should not live in cities. You being Muslim, cows are slaughtered daily in your city. This is a great sin. Prohibit killing of cows in your kingdom."
    The King said, "I am not a king now. I am your devotee, a Rajak. Give me a place at your feet."
    Shri Guru began thinking. Now in this Kaliyug, cruelty will be increasing. It would be better if I disappear from here. He therefore thought of going to Gouthami (Godavari). While returning to the math, the king seated Shri Guru in his palkhi and he took his Padukas (sandals) in his hands and walked on foot behind the palkhi.
    Shri Guru said, "You should ride on a horse as you are a king. Your persons will blame you for serving a Brahmin and a Sanyasi."
    The king said, "I may be a king for the people, but for you I am your devotee, a Rajak. My body of iron is transformed into gold by your sight. All my desires are now fulfilled".
    By this time all the elephants, horses and soldiers of the King had reached the place. Shri Guru said, "Listen to me, ride a horse ".
    The King first seated all the disciples of Shri Guru on the horses and then he rode a horse and the procession started ceremoniously.
    Shri Guru then said to the king, "If we come with you, we cannot observe our rituals punctually. Therefore I will go ahead. You come to Papavinashi to see me".
    Saying this, Shri Guru disappeared instantly with all his disciples and reached Bidar. Nagnath the son of Sayamdev met Shri Guru there. He worshiped Shri Guru and did a samaradhana. Then Shri Guru went to the Papavinashi Tirth.
    The Muslim king was very sorry to see the disappearance of Shri Guru from the procession suddenly. But he remembered that he was asked by Shri Guru to see him at Papavinashi. He rode a swift horse and started for Papavinashi. He covered the distance of 88 miles in a day. He saw Shri Guru and again requested him to grace his city by holy presence.
    The kind decorated his city with flags, buntings and arches. He seated Shri Guru in a Palkhi. Nine kinds of gems were waved on him. The citizens waved Aarti at various places. The Muslims censured the king for serving for the Brahmins; but the Hindu citizens and Brahmins praised him for liberal, learned and pious.
    The procession was going with musical instruments. Coins and clothes were being distributed to the poor. When the procession reached the main gate of palace, Shri Guru walked on the costly carpet spread on the path. Shri Guru was seated on the decorated throne and all the queens and children of the king bowed to Him respectfully. Shri Guru blessed the king and his family members and asked, "Are all your desires fulfilled by now?"
    The king said, "I have fully enjoyed the royal glory I now wish to serve at your feet".
    Shri Guru asked him to come to Shri Shailya and went to Gouthami at Nasik. He bathed there and returned to Ganagapur. All the citizens were pleased to see that Shri Guru had come back safe.
    Shri Guru called all the disciples and said; "Now I wish live secretly. Therefore I intend to go to Shri Shailya. Still I shall be staying at Ganagapur. If I live fear openly, the Muslims will come here daily and trouble me for fulfillment of their desires as the King himself had been here."

Jai Sai Ram,
    Sanjiv

Facebook Comments