Join Sai Baba Announcement List

DOWNLOAD SAMARPAN - Nov 2018

Author Topic: The Blessed Ones  (Read 123027 times)

Offline SS91

• Members
  • Blessings 37
  • OM SHRI SAI NATHAYA NAMAHA
    • Sai Baba
Re: The Blessed Ones
« Reply #105 on: June 11, 2012, 03:35:15 PM »
  • Publish

• At the time, when in the Wada (i.e., Sathe wada), the foundation stone was laid, there was no previous intimation of the date to me. It was however on a Poornima day. Myself and Bere started the previous day to go to Shirdi without previously intimating our intention to go there. At Kopergaon which we reached in the evening, Bere induced me to halt for the night as Baba could not easily be visited by us at night. Next morning we went to Shirdi. Baba was then coming from the Lendi. There was a crowd of 80 to 90 spectators waiting to see him. We also went and prostrated. Baba told me, "You have come just in time. The foundation stone is to be laid". I fancied that I must go through the pompous ceremony in high style. I took up a hatchet to dig up a bit of the foundation and lay the foundation stone. Baba stopped me at once and said, "Why do you go there? What have we to do with all this? The masons and other workmen will do it." So no formal ceremony of laying the foundation stone was gone through. My father-in-law told me that he knew the previous day that I was arriving at Shirdi on the Poornima day and so fixed up that date for laying of the foundation stone. When asked how he knew of it, he said that Baba was saying the previous day, "Saheb is coming tomorrow. The washer¬woman told me of this as Saheb's tent had come to her for washing". In fact there was no tent sent and no washerwoman could have got intimation of our arrival. Bere's stopping me at Kopergaon was useful. That night (unknown to me though it was) was the tenth night of the death of an agnatic relation of my father-in-law and his house was under pollution and resounding with wailing and there was none even to cook and offer unpolluted food for me then, had I gone.

to be contd...
    A Person, who has controlled his mind, can achieve any success in his life. How far you are trying to control your mind?
    The mind that judges not others ever remains tension-free.
    http://lh5.ggpht.com/_lOgd1uS-wX0/TCOlFNMxIBI/AAAAAAAAE88/GpxUgxnwioE/why_fear_when_i_am_here.jpg

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #106 on: June 12, 2012, 10:58:28 AM »
  • Publish

• On one occasion Baba, who was ever watchful over his children's actions in sight or out of sight, saved me from plunging headlong into passion and headstrong cruelty. The facts are these. My father-in-law wanted me to buy some 20 acres of agricultural land at or near Shirdi and I sent him 1200 Rupees and the land was purchased.

One day when I was there, I desired to go and see the land. My father-in-law would not accompany me and was placing obstacles in the way of my visiting the land. His reason was that his brother's son (Babu) had left a widow, who was living with him and she would come to know of the land and claim a share therein. I however insisted that we should go and ordered Tatya Patel's cart to be brought up and wanted my wife to go with me. She had first consented to go but finally under instructions from her father, she declined to accompany me. I was wroth. I seized the whip from the cartman and was intending to chastise her for her disobedience to my orders. Lo! suddenly Megha rushed into my Wada and said that Baba wanted me urgently to proceed at once to the Mosque to see him. I went up. Baba asked me "What is the matter? What is it that has happened?" I saw that he knew everything and felt ashamed of myself. Then Baba added evidently to explain and justify the conduct and attitude of my wife and father-in-law, "Your land is there. Where is the necessity to go and see it?" How watchful he was over my conduct and welfare!
    A Person, who has controlled his mind, can achieve any success in his life. How far you are trying to control your mind?
    http://lh5.ggpht.com/_lOgd1uS-wX0/TCOlFNMxIBI/AAAAAAAAE88/GpxUgxnwioE/why_fear_when_i_am_here.jpg

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #107 on: June 12, 2012, 04:28:47 PM »
  • Publish

• Another instance of his watchfulness over my conscience and morals was this. I was once proposing to visit for the first time the residence of a female devotee of Baba out of mere curiosity. Just before the visit, Baba asked me if I had gone to such and such a place. I did not understand the names of places and missed the point of his question. Baba then dropped the subject. I then went to her lodgings and was engaged in some conversation. Very soon evil thoughts began to invade my brain. Suddenly Baba appeared in front of that house and pushed open the door which had been closed but not bolted. He made some ironical signs to me to convey the idea, "What an excellent thing you are now launching into!" and disappeared. His timely interference before any evil was definitely lodged in my mind or could take shape in action saved the situation. Conscience asserted itself; tendencies to evil were definitely checked and I retreated from the place at once and never visited it again. Some time thereafter I learnt that the place I visited was locally known by the very name mentioned by Baba in his question that day.
     Baba's help to me came in family affairs, official matters, dealings with saints, other spiritual matters etc.

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #108 on: June 13, 2012, 05:57:55 AM »
  • Publish

• Family affairs:
    Baba said in 1904 just before my second marriage that God would bless me with a son if I married and he approved of the match in 1905. Then my father-in-law Dada Kelkar (or Damodar Kelkar) became deeply devoted to him and made Shirdi his permanent residence. I built the Wada here at Baba's bidding in 1908 or so; and my father-in-law with my wife and family (and I also sometimes) lived there though its chief use was for the visitors that came to Baba. There was no other lodging (except the village chavadi) available for respectable visitors. The foundation stone laying has already been mentioned. When the construction was to go on, the walls had to be raised and some of the branches of the Neem tree (under which Baba had practised his early Sadhana or penance) had to be chopped off. As the tree was held sacred by all, none dared to cut the branches and Baba was approached. He then said, "Cut off so much as interferes with the construction. Even if our own foetus lies athwart the womb, we must cut it." But even with his permission, the workmen feared to cut it as it seemed so sacrilegious. Then Baba himself came and cut off the obstruction. Later the steps for going upstairs and a niche over Baba's Guru's Tomb were put up. Baba made me spend money in this and in other matters also so as to help on religion and charity, e.g. when Das Ganu had his "Lives of the Saints" ready for printing, Baba made me pay Rs. 75 towards the expenses.

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #109 on: June 13, 2012, 08:57:40 PM »
  • Publish

• The first two children born of this second marriage were girls. My father-in-law and mother-in-law then approached Baba with the prayer that the promised son should be born and asked him, "When are we to have a grandson?" Baba then answered, "I am requesting Allah. He will comply with my request". A year or two later (ie. in 1913) my son was born. That boy is with me here (by Baba's grace) hale and hearty and the prop of my age.

I have already stated how Baba directed me to behave in relation to my father-in-law and wife. I shall mention his kindly interest in one more family affair of mine. Sometime after I retired, my financial circumstances were declining. On one occasion, I sold a jewel of my wife. Baba then addressed my father-in-law and said, "Why does that fool of a Saheb sell my daughter's jewel?".

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #110 on: June 14, 2012, 07:56:24 AM »
  • Publish

• Baba was greatly attracted to Dada Kelkar's (ie. my father-in-law's ) nephew - Babu. He was a measurer under my assistant, Limaye (I was then Assistant Superintendent of Revenue Survey of Kopergaon and Yeola). But instead of paying due attention to his official work, he would go and stay at Shirdi, doing service to Baba. My assistant complained to me that my brother-in-law (Babu) was always going away to Shirdi and neglecting his work. I communicated this to Kelkar and he said, "What is to be done? He is guided and ordered by Baba." In fact, Baba knowing evidently what was happening to Babu very shortly, made light of his service and said, "Blast the service. Let him serve me." Babu was always attending on Baba and rendering as much service as he could; and Baba would always see that Babu got the choicest delicacies whenever they were available. So Limaye let him do as he liked. Babu's end was drawing near in 1910. He ate mangoes (which were always pouring in upon Baba since 1910) rather too freely. Baba warned Kelkar and told him to have some care of his nephew's health. He said. Babu contracted fever and as he was nearing death, Baba asked Kelkar "Is he alive?" In a few days Babu passed away (1910) aged only 22 leaving an issueless widow.

In religious and temporal affairs I never took any serious step without consulting Baba (either through my father-in-law or otherwise.)

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #111 on: June 14, 2012, 05:02:13 PM »
  • Publish

• Religious matters
    Baba never gave Upadesa or initiation to anyone. So I did not apply to him for initiation. But on several occasions I was invited to get Upadesh from others, e.g., Upasani Baba who offered to explain Panchadasi to me (in 1915 or 1917) after his return to Shirdi form Kharagpur and Miraj. People from Kharagpur and Nagpur were going to him to get Upade-sha. The question was whether I also should go to him for that purpose. There was a lady, Athabai of Sangola, who had given Upadesha to my first wife. There was also the Ganapati Upasaka and Yogi of Moregaon named Vinayak Phatak Maharaj. These offered me Upadesha. In each of these cases, I referred the question to Baba (personally to Baba in the first case and through my father-in-law in the latter cases) and Baba gave a negative reply.

Though there was no formal initiation by Baba he wished me to look to him alone with undeviating attention and he was quite powerful enough and willing to look after my interests temporal and spiritual.

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #112 on: June 15, 2012, 04:29:37 AM »
  • Publish

• Baba in the early days of my moving with him at times favoured the extension of his worship and at times did not. He made me and my father-in-law start the group congregational worship of Baba as Guru by all the devotees on Guru Poornima day as I have stated already. But when I tried to do Pooja to him as Mahadeva or Siva on "Shivaratri" midnight he did not favour the proposal. When he was first asked for permission that day he said, "No". Then we (ie. myself and Megha) thought over it, took some Bilwa leaves and wished to do silent Pooja at the steps of the Mosque at midnight (which is the time observed in all Siva Temples). When we went there, Tatya from inside the Mosque waved his hand warning us off. But as Baba seemed to be asleep we dared to put some sandal and Bel on the steps in silence. Baba at once got up and hurled wild abuse without naming any one as the object of his abuse. The whole village was roused and they flocked to the Mosque and blamed us for (trying to steal a march over the rest of the devotees and in defiance of Baba's wishes to obtain clandestine Punya by midnight worship at the steps of the mosque. Though Baba did not want me to take Upadesha from others he yet desired that I should show due respect and hospitality to Sants (saints). In fact, he made one Sant go to me.

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #113 on: June 15, 2012, 10:14:43 AM »
  • Publish

• Kaka Maharaj of Dhopeshwar (near Rajapur) was a well-known Sant. Some 25 years ago, he visited Poona and lodged with one Devle. He was besieged by a crowd of devotees inviting him to their place for meal & c; and I also made the same request. He regretted his inability to comply with my request. This was in the morning. Later at about noon of the same day, when I was at my office, I was surprised to learn that the Maharaj had sent word to say that he would visit my house and so I sent him my tonga and went home to receive him. When I met him, I asked him how he happened to change his mind so suddenly since morning. Pointing to Sai Baba's portrait on my wall the Maharaj replied, "He would not allow me to rest till I came and saw you".

contd...

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #114 on: June 15, 2012, 08:18:19 PM »
  • Publish

• Shortly before this Maharaj passed away, he had given leave to my son-in-law's brother Hari Gangadhar Joshi (pleader, Thana) and another to go to Sai Baba and pay their respects. They started to Shirdi after Kaka Maharaj passed away. When they arrived at the mosque Baba was in a towering passion, in one of his fits of rage that seemed so ungovernable. But as soon as Baba saw these two arrivals standing outside the mosque he ordered them to be brought to him. When they went up he had sufficiently cooled down and they took darshan without any trepidation or uneasiness. Later Baba started out for Bhiksha. Then he said to them, "You have killed that old man (ie., Kaka Maharaj) and come here, eh?" Though he had not been told of the Maharaj's permission or his death he knew the facts and thus revealed to them at once his knowledge of the facts and his fellow-feeling with that Maharaj.

(As you find from Vaman Rao Patel's Guru Smriti) Baba showed a bit of his chamatkar to my son-in-law Mr. Joshi, at Shirdi. When the latter asked for Udhi, Baba told him that he would get it later and in point of fact as Joshi travelled by train, a fellow-passenger gave him Udhi given by Baba.

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #115 on: June 16, 2012, 07:15:33 AM »
  • Publish

• Dakshina Bhiksha Samstha
    In December 1915, I got a call from Baba, when I was at Poona and at his bidding I helped in forming the above Society. I was made the President of it. We ran the Journal "Sainath Prabha" as its organ. This was not read to Baba previously or submitted for his approval.

It had a short career and was a failure. Hardly any copies are traceable. Parts 1 and 2 which alone are now available give some account of the state of affairs that prevailed at Shirdi Samsthan in 1915 to 1917 or 1918. The attempt to control monetary matters led to increased bitterness against me, resulting in Nanawali's action that drove me away from Shirdi and even led to issue of legal notices. Sometime after the formation of the Sabha (say some 11 months) Radhakrishna Ayi died. She had been in charge of all stores used for purpose of Sai Samsthan. When she died, as she was an intestate Brahmin widow without heirs, the Police came and took possession of all the properties in her custody. Then we had on behalf of the Sabha to apply for the return of all the articles for the Samsthan from the Kopergaon 1st Class Magistrate. On the strength of local Mahajars also he passed orders (M.E.R.23 N2 1916) handing over Samsthan properties to the Samsthan ie. Sabha on behalf of the Samsthan; yet internecine bickering continued. Some misguided devotees made use of the loss of a few silver appendages to the samsthan horse trappings (worth very little after all) to issue a lawyer's notice to me in January 1918. I consulted Baba and he told me to give a reply and I gave it in the terms mentioned by Baba himself. Baba told me that he would protect me and that no proceedings would be laken. That proved to be true and no proceedings were taken against me or the sabha.

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #116 on: June 16, 2012, 02:43:50 PM »
  • Publish

• I do not know what has become of Mr. Sunder Rao Narayan who was the Editor and soul of "Sai Nath Prabha".

It is he who signs his "apothegms" and his "vision" in Part I under the Nom de plume "Ramagir".

Baba and other sants: His Antarjnana.
    When I was at Shirdi one day Baba was at the Mosque. The time for his moving on to Lendi had arrived and yet he was not inclined to move out. He lay stretched beside the Mosque wall. When he had thus delayed his visit to Lendi by one hour, we asked him. "It is high time for you to go to Lendi. Why do you not go ?" Then Baba answered 'Hallo! My Gajanan is gone.' Someone wrote that day from Shirdi to Shegaon to ascertain how Gajanan Maharaj, the famous saint of that place was doing. The answer came that he expired on the very day when Baba apprised us of the sad event.

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #117 on: June 16, 2012, 07:08:50 PM »
  • Publish

• Baba's prophecy
    Sometime in 1917, Baba said "Tilak is coming here". As there seemed to be nothing to induce Lokamanya to visit him, I thought Baba was referring to Tilak Maharaj ie., Vaman Maharaj Tilak. In fact, however, Lokamanya visited him soon after {ie., on 19-5-1917).

Baba's Activities
    Though Baba either out of humility or out of policy ascribed all beneficent things done for his visitors and devotees to God, he disclosed in many cases his own authorship by his words, e.g.

(1) About my pension he said (in pungent slang) that he would force the Authorities to pay me my full pension.
     (2) Another instance comes to my mind now. Daji Hari Lele (Dt. Inspector of Land Records at Nasik) was proceeding to Shirdi to see Baba. On the way he went to the Library at Kopergaon and saw the Gazette. Therein he discovered that he had been promoted from Rs. 125 to Rs. 150. Then he came to Shirdi and bowed to Baba. Baba told him "Bring me Rs. 15". The man said he had no money. Baba retorted, "It is only yesterday I gave you Rs. 25. Go and bring the money." Lele then came to my wada, informed me of all the facts and borrowed the money to pay Baba.

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #118 on: June 16, 2012, 09:21:41 PM »
  • Publish

• Baba's talks (Goshties):
     (1) Baba said once that as a boy he was weaving shawls, that his father was once so pleased with his handiwork that he gave him a pecuniary present of some Rs. 5 or so.
     (2) Once Baba said that he was 'eating food' (i.e., living) at the East Coast ie., Coromandal Coast.
     (3) Once he said, "Pshaw! What of Akbar! I have protected him in his infancy. He stood in fear of me."
     (4) The brahmin of Paithan (evidently referring to Eknath) I knew. Brahmins of such excellent sort are not now-a-days seen.
     (5) Chand bai Patel came to me and asked me about his horse. He said "Where did you drive my horse?" I replied, "Why do you charge me? Go and see: Your horse is grazing by the hedge."

This was all that issued from the mouth of Baba. I used my imagination and built stories on these and wrote my "Sai Katha Karandaka". It was written without previous intimation to or obtaining the approval of Baba. Baba's utterances were short. He abruptly stopped many of his stories.

Source: Devotees Experiences of SRI SAI BABA by B.V.NARASIMHASWAMIJI

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #119 on: June 17, 2012, 07:54:05 PM »
  • Publish

• Das Ganu Maharaj
    Ganpatrao Dattatreya Sahasra-buddhe, Brahmin, Kirtankar, aged about 78, residing generally at Nanded. (Nizam's State)
    Poona, June 1936.

I have known Sri Sai Baba for a long time and I have given some account of him in my books (1) Bhakti Saramrita Ch. 26, 65, 66 and 67 (1925) (2) Bhakta Lilamrita Ch.31 (1906) and Ch 32 and 33 and (3) Santakatamrita Ch 57. Ch 31 of No.2 and Ch. 57 of No.3 were published in Baba's lifetime.

Some facts, i.e. autobiographical reminiscences, came from Baba's own mouth. But they were very few. Besides, I had not spent much time with Baba. I rarely saw him. When I was at Shirdi, Baba did not allow me to stay long at the masjid. He made me go away to the Vittal temple where I stayed to write lives of saints, or to spend my time in repetition of Vishnu Sahasranama etc. I made some inquiries about Baba also before writing these works. Some facts were within my personal knowledge. I was in active (police) service as a Havildar. I had however my literary and histrionic leanings. I took great interest in tamashas (village plays) and took part in them. I composed poems impromptu, in lavani and other metres. While I was in service and Nana Saheb Chandorkar was D.C. or Collector's chitnis, he took me to Sai Baba. Even from the outset Sai Baba foresaw my future and wanted to save me from my own ways and choice of profession and pastime. He told Nana Saheb even in my presence, 'This man is fond of Tamashas, and of his service. Let him give it all up". He told me the same and Nana Saheb also. But I liked my pastimes and service. Gradually I gave up taking part in Tamashas, i.e. Village plays. As for service, I could not think of giving it up. Each time I was advised to give up service, I said, "I will see." Baba then said that only by sheer compulsion, i.e. by being impaled, I could be made to quit service. So for about 10 years, Baba went on dinning into me, directly and indirectly, that I should give up service. I shall mention later how in 1903 I was reduced to giving up service after several disasters in which Baba's grace saved me from punishment, disgrace, trouble of various sorts, and even death.

Facebook Comments