Join Sai Baba Announcement List

DOWNLOAD SAMARPAN - Nov 2018

Author Topic: The Blessed Ones  (Read 122988 times)

Offline SS91

• Members
  • Blessings 37
  • OM SHRI SAI NATHAYA NAMAHA
    • Sai Baba
Re: The Blessed Ones
« Reply #120 on: June 18, 2012, 04:35:15 AM »
  • Publish

• First I shall narrate how some facts about Baba's antecedents were revealed at an examination of Baba as a witness. There was a thief charged with theft etc., of jewels in the Dhulia Tahsildar Magistrate's Court. The accused pleaded that Sai Baba of Shirdi had given him the jewels and cited Baba as a witness. Summons came. Baba refused to receive it and had it thrown into his dhuni (fire). Anyhow the report was sent that summons had been served on Baba. But Baba did not go to Dhulia for the trial. So a warrant was issued by the Dhulia Court for producing Sai Baba to give evidence at Dhulia. The warrant came to Ganapatramji, the Chief Constable of Kopergaon. He brought the warrant to Baba and informed him of its contents and requested Baba to go with him to Dhulia. Of course he had not the courage to arrest Baba. Baba was defiant. He cursed and swore and asked the constable to throw the warrant into some foul place. The constable was perplexed. I was there and told him to consult Baba's devotee Nana Saheb Chandorkar, then Dep.Collector at Ahmednagar. N.S.C. was consulted and he said that if Sai Baba and the devotees disliked his going to Dhulia, the people should get a Mahazar prepared and get numerous signatures to it and send it up to Dhulia. This was done.

The Mahazar stated that Sai Baba of Shirdi was an extraordinary person, worshipped as God by vast numbers of devotees, that the enforcement of ordinary Court's process against him was neither proper nor desirable in view of the consequences that might follow etc., and that if his evidence was necessary, a Commissioner might be sent to Shirdi to take his evidence. The Dhulia Court then sent a Commission. One Nana Joshi, 1st Class Magistrate, Assistant Collector, came down to Shirdi to take the evidence of Baba. Three hours before his arrival Baba had sent for chairs and a table and improvised a Court at the Mosque. The Commissioner came and began Sai Baba's examination; and an extraordinary examination it was.
    A Person, who has controlled his mind, can achieve any success in his life. How far you are trying to control your mind?
    The mind that judges not others ever remains tension-free.
    http://lh5.ggpht.com/_lOgd1uS-wX0/TCOlFNMxIBI/AAAAAAAAE88/GpxUgxnwioE/why_fear_when_i_am_here.jpg

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #121 on: June 18, 2012, 06:37:34 PM »
  • Publish

• Commr : What is your name?
    Baba : They call me Sai Baba.
    C : Your father's name?
    B : Also Sai Baba.
    C : Your Guru's name?
    B : Venkusa.
    C : Creed or Religion?
    B : Kabir.
    C : Caste or race?
    B : Parvardigar (i.e. God)
    C : Age, please?
    B : Lakhs of years.
    C : Will you solemnly affirm that what you are going to say is the truth.
    B : Truth.
    C : Do you know the accused so and so?
    B : Yes, I know him and I know every one.
    C : The man says he is your devotee and that he lived with you. Is that so?
    B : Yes, I live with every one. All are mine.
    C : Did you give him jewels as alleged by him?
    B : Yes I gave him. Who gives what to whom?
    C : If you gave him the jewels, how did you get them and become possessed of them?.
    B : Everything is mine.
    C : Baba, here is a serious charge of theft. That man says that you delivered the jewels to him.
    B : What is all this? What the devil I have to do with all that?

The commissioner was floored by such answers. He did not know what to take down. Baba was mostly in a mood to say yes to every question. Then it was suggested that the best course would be to send for the village diary. The arrival of every stranger and the dates of his stay in the village are duly noted in it. If the accused who was of course a stranger to the village was not there at or about the time of his alleged receipt from Baba, that might be taken down. The diaries were sent for and they showed that no such person like the accused was at Shirdi at the time in question. Of course, it was well known that Baba never left Shirdi or its neighbourhood. Then the Commissioner put it to Baba, that no such person was in the village of Shirdi and with Baba at Shirdi at the time in question and that Baba gave him no jewels and Baba said that was so and this was Baba's final statement. The examination was then over.
    A Person, who has controlled his mind, can achieve any success in his life. How far you are trying to control your mind?
    http://lh5.ggpht.com/_lOgd1uS-wX0/TCOlFNMxIBI/AAAAAAAAE88/GpxUgxnwioE/why_fear_when_i_am_here.jpg

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #122 on: June 19, 2012, 06:30:28 AM »
  • Publish

• Baba was not asked to sign or put his mark. The commission's evidence was sent to Dhulia. The accused was convicted and sentenced to imprisonment.

Baba's age is a thing one cannot fix. Nor can his race and parentage be easily fixed. Forty years back I saw an old lady Salubai Shelke of Shirdi then aged 65 or 70. She told me that when she was married and that was in her eighth or tenth year, Baba came to Shirdi looking as he looked when we saw him (1895) i.e. 40 or 50 years old. Another old lady Sai Bai said, "Baba came to Shirdi as a lad". This seems to make Baba's age over 100 at his Mahasamadhi. Who dare ask Baba about his age and antecedents? So nothing definite is known.

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #123 on: June 19, 2012, 03:54:41 PM »
  • Publish

• Baba however himself spoke about his earlier years occasionally. About his Guru, Baba has several times said that 'Venkusa' (This is found in Bakhtalilamrita Ch 31) was his Guru and that by the grace of 'Venkusa' Baba had attained to his position. Most things about him were mysterious. Some of his miracles etc. were witnessed by me and some mentioned to me by others. Baba's converting water into oil and burning his lamps for a whole night with water alone was reported to me by numerous villagers who had seen it. Premchand Marwadi was one of those who refused to supply him that day with oil. I myself saw Baba sleeping on a plank suspended from the ceiling by a few slender shreds of torn cloth. The wonder was how he got up that plank suspended so high i.e. 7 or 8 feet above the floor and 1 or 1 1/2 cubits below the roof. Four lamps were on it. People watched to see how he got up or climbed down but could never discover either or how it supported him.

The passages 121 to 141 in Bhakta Lilamrit about Mr Pense were mentioned to me by him.

These three Chapters 31, 32 and 33 of the book were read as Poti (i.e. holy scripture) at the mosque before Baba: and he said, "It is alright", when Nana Saheb Chandorkar gave him the book.

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #124 on: June 19, 2012, 08:38:37 PM »
  • Publish

• Baba did not say his five Namaz or even one Namaz, as Moslems do. When Fatia had to be done, he generally ordered it to be pronounced by some one present. Sometimes he uttered the Fatia. He occasionally repeated parts of Quoran.

The instruction given to N.G. Chandorkar by Baba was mentioned to me by N.G.C. I expanded it with my own learning and gave  its present shape. But the kernel of it was given by N.G.C. Baba has several times talked Advaitic philosophy in my presence.

"l am God". "You are God". "All are God". He has said this many times. There is nothing Baba did not know.

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #125 on: June 20, 2012, 05:30:59 PM »
  • Publish

• Baba was not explicit about what he did mostly. Here is an instance.

One Valambi Master was Ry. Station Master at Kopergaon. He has no faith in Baba. He told me and other devotees. "Baba is a mad man. Why do you all lionise him?" I, however, persuaded V.M. to go with me to see Baba at Shirdi. When we saw Baba, he was washing pots and placing them on the floor, mouth down and bottom upside. V.M. asked Baba, "What is all this?" Baba said "Every pot coming to me comes with mouth downwards", i.e., not to receive what could be put into them but in an unreceptive fashion like pots with their mouths downwards.

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #126 on: June 21, 2012, 09:45:37 AM »
  • Publish

• There was at about 1898 or 1899 a notorious dacoit named Kana Bhil who was robbing British and Native States, in parts of Ahmednagar and Bid districts. For three years the police were on his track, but could not catch him. I was only a havildar (Co) at the time. But I and three others were put on special detective duty and directed to watch and report his movements. K.Bhil was so cunning and desperate and his C.I.D was so perfect that he spotted the three men and killed them one after another. I had done little work and my Inspector reported that I was useless and I had to put forward strenuous efforts. All that time I was passing for a Ramadasi and doing Kirtans in the Ram Temple at Loni Varni, the headman (Patil) of which was a friend and receiving visits from K.Bhil. K.Bhil found out all about me, my name, number (727) station, etc., and came one day to shoot me. I went and bowed to Sri Ram and prayed for life. The dacoit left the place with a warning to me that I was watched. I was really watched by his men and I could not leave the place. Again I got information from the village boys as to the programme and movements of K.Bhil and communicated it to the police. The police came and put a cordon round the hill in which K.Bhil was hiding but he escaped after a severe battle with guns etc. in which a number of police were shot down. I got a certificate of heart disease and escaped further detective duty. Then Rale, Mamlatdar, tried the villagers of Loni Varni for harbouring a dacoit. I gave evidence in favour of the Patil that he helped me with information and he was acquitted.

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #127 on: June 22, 2012, 06:42:25 AM »
  • Publish

• Absent from my jurisdiction without leave, I visited a holy place and returned upto Godavari and there I prayed and vowed to Baba holding Godavari water in my hands that if he would save me I would give up service. Then I discovered a gang in H.S. there with some booty and I got an excuse for my visit. The situation was saved miraculously. Still the ambition to become a Fouzdar was dominating me. I appeared for an examination and passed it to qualify myself. Baba told me that I was not going to get the fouzdari post. I was posted to some place and I had to cross Shirdi on my way - but I did not wish to call on Baba as he would not approve of my continuance in service. So I was simply marching straight (and without turning into the village in the interior of which was the Mosque) on the main road touching Shirdi. Then as fate or Sai Baba would have it, he came to the main road near the Lendi just as I came there and so I got down from my horse and fell at his feet. He then asked me to go over to the Masjid. At the Masjid, he asked me, "Ganu! who took the vow taking a palmful of Godavari water in hand?" I answered, "What harm is there? I am really going to resign". Baba said, "Wait. You will not listen to me while things are thus (i.e., smooth running)".

Then I got into another scrape without any fault of mine. A convict's fine - Rs.32 - was realised and sent up to my station, to be credited to Govt. That was received by my Assistant in my absence and he quietly pocketed it. Later, the man not being released, a complaint was made and inquiry followed. I was suspended. Punishment seemed imminent. I vowed that I would leave service if I escaped and then left service in 1903.

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #128 on: June 23, 2012, 09:22:31 AM »
  • Publish

• I had composed in 1898 a poem on Sivaji, which became a matter of enquiry. My defence was that I was an impromptu poet and this was my impromptu. I was not punished. Baba repeatedly told me when telling me to retire, "Go and settle at Nanded".

I:Which Nanded?
    B:Nanded in Nizam States.
    I: How am I to get bread?
    B:I will provide for you.

So I went on retirement to Nanded and there spent my time in performing Kirtans. I got food thereby.

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #129 on: June 23, 2012, 06:19:33 PM »
  • Publish

• I went on a pilgrimage to Puri and on the way, one Tembe Swami [Vasudevanand Saraswathi) whom I had known already met me and asked  if I was going to Shirdi. I said, "Yes, not immediately but a few months later". Then he gave me a coconut saying, "Present this as mine to Sai Baba". I took it and kept it in my bag. During my further travels, my companions took it out and then ate it up. When I went to Shirdi, as soon as I approached Sai Baba, he said, "Here is the thief. Where is the coconut given by my brother?"

A friend gave me plots of cultivable land for a very nominal price. They yield me enough to live upon. These are now maintaining me. Bere's tonga escaping highway robbery which is described in B.S. is personally known to me. I went in that tonga with Bere.

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #130 on: June 24, 2012, 08:15:34 AM »
  • Publish

• I receive no money for my Kirtans. I never did. The hat was not and is not sent round either before or after my Kirtan for contributions. My bhaktas write and invite me to their abodes in various parts of the country. I go and stay with them and perform Kirtans and write books etc. I am a single individual without any family and my needs are few. I was not one of those who got moneys form Baba. Several of those that he was regularly paying every day were subjected to Income-Tax. After Lokamanya Tilak visited Baba (1915-1917) the Income-Tax department directed its attention to the Shirdi Samasthan. Some officer came to Shirdi and watched the income. They wanted first to tax Sai Baba, but (perhaps seeing that he had little left with him to proceed upon) they taxed his regular donees: Viz. Tatya Patel, Bade Baba, Bagia and Bayyaji Patel. For me as also for Mahlsapathy, Baba took care to see that we were not pestered with money and its cares. He has given me spiritual benefit far superior to monetary gifts. He has created and confirmed my faith in various ways. He has taught me valuable lessons and given me precious experience.

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #131 on: June 25, 2012, 05:10:17 AM »
  • Publish

• Once for Mahashivaratri, I was at Shirdi and I wanted to have "Gangasnan" (i.e. a dip in the river Godavari) at Singaba (three miles off Shirdi) that day. Megha daily brought that water for sprinkling or pouring (Abhisheka) over Baba, as Ganga must naturally fall on Mahadeva's head. But Baba did not allow me to go. He said, "Ganga is here at my feet. Do not go". I felt depressed. Theoretically, I knew that he was God Narayana and that Ganga flowed from Narayana's feet. But that was a poor weak faith insufficient to give my heart the pleasure which a tangible Ganges bath would give me. Baba knew my mentality and asked me to approach his feet and hold my palm near the feet. The water began to flow from both his feet. It was not a few drops like perspiration. It was rather a slow and thin current. In a short time, say a few minutes, I had collected a palmful of that water. Here was Ganga and I was delighted. I bathed i.e. sprinkled the water over my head. I did not drink this water. Usually I do not drink the Tirtha offered at Baba's Arati. On one occasion Jog complained to Baba about it. Baba then said that I should abide by my own convictions and sampradaya and that Jog should not trouble me.

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #132 on: June 26, 2012, 05:35:41 PM »
  • Publish

• But Baba did not always respect orthodoxy, at least in some matters. My orthodoxy keeps me off from eating onions in any form. Baba on the other hand liked onions and would seldom have a meal without onions. He told me to prepare Pitla, i.e. sauce of onions, give to him and eat part of it. I prepared it and brought it to him. He asked me if I ate it at my lodgings. I said yes. But really what I did there was to touch the onion dish with a finger tip and touch my chin with it and draw a line from my chin to the nether lip, as a token of my tasting it and I would wash my hand and face thereafter. Baba knew (what is it he did not know?) how I practised this trick and he showed others how I did the trick. "He pretends he eats but only touches it with his finger and applies the finger over the chin", was what he said and showed. Then he told me that I should really eat onion. He had a high opinion of onion as an item of the daily fare -though orthodoxy rejects it, chiefly on the grounds of its immediate and ultimate odour and its aphrodisiac properties. "But if one digests it, i.e. overcomes its injurious i.e. lust-producing tendencies it does no harm but good", was what Baba said. So at Shirdi, as long as Baba was alive, I would take onion except on Ekadashi days.

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #133 on: June 28, 2012, 05:04:55 PM »
  • Publish

• Q. Did Baba rub coins smooth with mantra?.

Baba occasionally smashed my programmes for visiting holy places like Pandharpur. I was keen on Bhadrapad and Aswin months, especially Aswin Ekadashi to be at Pandharpur. In 1916, I met Nanasaheb Chandorkar at Manmad and told him I was going to Pandharpur as Bhadrapad was about to begin. He took me however with him to Shirdi and Baba made me do 'Saptaha' and Kirtan there for a week. When I originally began Kirtans, it was at the bidding of Nanasaheb Chandorkar and in Baba's Samasthan at Shirdi. In fact I had started it in the usual fashionable dress (i.e. head gear etc.,) of Kirtankars and shone in borrowed plumes - borrowed from Chandorkar. But Baba at once objected to my adopting that dress and made me doff it. I am doing Kirtans since then in orthodox "Dotar" (i.e. nether cloth). I was thus detained for over one month at Shirdi. Bhadrapad was gone and Aswin was to begin. I felt chagrined at being detained from going to Pandharpur even in Ashwin. N.G. Chandorkar wanted to detain me even then. I said within myself, "How is he (i.e. Baba) a Guru who blocks my way to God (of Pandharpur)?" Baba of course read my mind and told me to go away at once to Pandharpur and told N.G.C. not to stop me. So I gladly went to Pandharpur and was there for Ashwin.

Baba did not grant me some of my spiritual prayers. I wanted to get Sakshatkar (i.e. vision) of the God that I worship just as Namdev and others got. So I went to Baba several times with the request that he should give me Sakshatkar. He was saying each time, "Wait", "Wait". Finally (probably in 1916, the above period) I asked him, "Baba, you have been long putting off my request. When will you give me Sakshatkar?" Then he said, "You see me. That is Sakshatkar. I am God". I replied that I expected that he would say so; but that I was not satisfied with that. I consoled myself with the explanation that my destiny did not provide for my getting Sakshatkar and that Saints could not overcome destiny.

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #134 on: June 30, 2012, 08:25:09 AM »
  • Publish

• After Baba passed away, I have been seeing several Saints. But hardly any of them satisfied me. There was one that specially impressed me.

Near my place - Nanded, in 1919 there was a Virakta Brahmachari staying on a rock having no possessions and caring for nothing. I saw him first, when I was performing my wife's ceremony and was powerfully attracted. As I went there to take his Darshan, he turned away from me and prevented my taking Darshan. This happened thrice. I was deeply disappointed, nay mortified. Anyhow, let me have the merit of feeding him, I thought, and went home. I sent up a man to that Brahmachari with food. I was agreeably surprised to learn that he accepted it. Then I was emboldened to go to him once again and I asked him why he would not permit me to bow to him and to take Darshan. He said in reply.

You call yourself a Kirtankar. Have you left off Ahankar i.e. Egotism?"
    I : No. How can I? Each man has Ahankar.
    He : Did you not feel Ahankar when sending me food, feeling that it was you that were sending food etc.?
    I : But Ahankar being of three sorts, Satwik, Rajasic and Tamasic, some sort of Ahankar would underlie all action; only the worst forms are to be shunned.

He was not of that opinion. He wanted me to drown my ego completely. He was always reading my mind. He gave me some samples of his power.

He : Are you not engaged in writing the lives of Saints?
    I : Yes.

Then he quoted a few lines of verse that I had just composed six days previously and not published in any way. I was taken aback by this Antaryamitva of his. Again he asked, "Did you not get Ganga water from the feet of Sai Baba?"

I : Yes.
    He : What did you do with it?
    I : I sprinkled it over my head.
    He : And you did not drink it, because you thought you were a brahmin and would be polluted by drinking it. Look at your Egotism.

Seeing his nature and powers, I daily spent three or four hours alone with him at night. Some of those who were going to me and having a good opinion of me and a poor opinion of that Brahmachari, wondered at my conduct and one of them (let us merely give him some random name) Beake began to heckle me about it. I told him that the Brahmachari had psychic power and could even know the contents of other minds. Beake doubted my veracity and I had to take him once to the Brahmachari and tell the latter of Beake's unbelief. Then followed a very interesting conversation.

Facebook Comments