Join Sai Baba Announcement List

DOWNLOAD SAMARPAN - Nov 2018

Author Topic: The Blessed Ones  (Read 123010 times)

Offline SS91

• Members
  • Blessings 37
  • OM SHRI SAI NATHAYA NAMAHA
    • Sai Baba
Re: The Blessed Ones
« Reply #165 on: September 16, 2012, 02:44:38 PM »
  • Publish

• Nana : I do not know of any other meaning for the word pari prasna.
     Baba : Seva. What sort of seva is meant?
     Nana : Just what we are doing always.
     Baba : Is it enough to render such service?
     Nana : I do not know what more is signified by that word seva.
     Baba : In the next phrase, Upadensyathi thae jnanam, can you so read the phrase as to read any other word in lieu of jnanam?
     Nana : Yes
     Baba : What word?
     Nana : ajnanam
     Baba : Taking that word (instead of 'jnana') is any meaning made out of the verse?
     Nana : No. Shankara Bhashya gives no such construction.
     Baba : Never mind. If he does not, is there any objection to using the word 'Ajnanam' if it gives a better sense?
     Nana : No. But I do not understand how to construe the stanza by placing 'ajnanam' in it.
     Baba : Why does Krishna refer Arjuna to jnanis or tatwadarsis to do his prostration, interrogation and service? Was not Krishna a tatwadarshi in fact, jnana itself?
     Nana : Yes. He was. But, I cannot make out why he referred Arjun to jnanis.
    Baba : Have you not understood this?

Nana was humiliated. His pride was knocked on the head. Then Baba began to explain.
    (1) It is not enough merely to prostrate before Jnanis. We must make Sarvaswa Saranagati to the Sadguru.
     (2) Mere questioning is not enough. The question must not be with any improper motive or attitude or to trap the Guru and catch at mistakes in the answer or out of idle curiosity. It must be serious, and with a view to achieve moksha or spiritual progress.
     (3) Seva is not rendering service retaining still the feeling that one is free to offer or refuse service. One must feel that he is not the master of the body, that the body is the guru's and exists merely to render service to him.
    A Person, who has controlled his mind, can achieve any success in his life. How far you are trying to control your mind?
    The mind that judges not others ever remains tension-free.
    http://lh5.ggpht.com/_lOgd1uS-wX0/TCOlFNMxIBI/AAAAAAAAE88/GpxUgxnwioE/why_fear_when_i_am_here.jpg

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #166 on: September 21, 2012, 05:22:33 PM »
  • Publish

• If this is done, the sadguru will show you what the jnana referred to in the previous stanza is.

Nana did not understand what is meant by saying that a guru teaches ajnana.

Baba : How is Jnana Upadesh (i.e) imparting of realization to be effected? Destroying ignorance is jnana. 87th verse on 66 Ch. XVIII in Jnaneshwari says, 'Removal of ignorance is like this, O Arjun. If dream and sleep disappear, you are yourself. It is like that'. See also v. 83 of Jnaneshwari on B.G.V. 16, where he says: 'Is there anything different or independent in jnan besides the destruction of ignorance? Expelling darkness means light. Destroying duality (dwaita) means non-duality (adwaita). Whenever we speak of destroying dwaita we speak of destroying darkness, we talk of light. If we have to realize the adwaita state, the feeling of dwaita in ourselves has to be removed. That is the realization of the adwaitic state. Who can speak of adwaita while remaining in dwaita? If one did, unless one gets into that state how can one know it and realize it?

(Again) the sishya, like the Sadguru, is really the embodiment of Jnan. The difference between the two lies in the attitude, high realization, marvellous superhuman Sattah. (beingness) and unrivalled capacity and Iswarya Yoga (i.e.,) divine powers. The Sadguru is Nirguna Sat chit Ananda. He has indeed taken human form to elevate mankind and raise the world. But his real Nirguna nature is not destroyed thereby, even a bit. His beingness (or reality), divine power, and wisdom remain undiminished. The disciple also is in fact of the same swarupa. But, it is overlaid by the effects of the Samskaras of innumerable births in the shape of ignorance which hides from his view that he is Suddha Chaitanya, see B.G. Ch.V., As stated therein, he gets the impression 'I am jiva, a creature, humble and poor'. The guru has to root out these offshoots of ignorance and has to give upadesh or instruction. To the disciple held spell-bound for endless generations by the ideas of his being a creature, humble and poor, the guru imparts in hundreds of births the teaching, 'You are God, you are mighty and opulent'. Then, he realizes a bit that he is God really. The perpetual delusion under which the disciple has been labouring, that he is the body, that he is a creature (jiva) or ego, that God (Paramatma) and the world are different from him, is an error inherited from innumerable past births. From action based on it, he has derived his joy, sorrows and mixtures of both. To remove this delusion, this error, this root ignorance, he must start the inquiry. How did the ignorance arise? Where is it? And to show him this is called the guru's upadesh The following are instances ajnana:-
     1. I am a jiva - creature.
     2. Body is the soul (I am the body).
     3. God, world and jiva are different.
     4. I am not God.
     5. Not knowing that body is not the soul.
     6. Not knowing that God, world and jiva are one.

A Person, who has controlled his mind, can achieve any success in his life. How far you are trying to control your mind?
    http://lh5.ggpht.com/_lOgd1uS-wX0/TCOlFNMxIBI/AAAAAAAAE88/GpxUgxnwioE/why_fear_when_i_am_here.jpg

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #167 on: September 22, 2012, 07:54:16 PM »
  • Publish

• Unless these errors are exposed to his view, the disciple cannot learn what is God, jiva, world, body, how they are inter-related and whether they are different from each other or are one and the same. To teach him these and destroy his ignorance, is this instruction in jnana or ajnana. Why should jnan be imparted to the jiva (who is) a Jnanamurthi? Upadesh is merely to show him his error and destroy his ignorance.
    Baba added:(1) Pranipata implies surrender.
     (2) Surrender must be of body, mind and wealth;
     (3) Why should Krishna refer Arjun to other jnanis?

Sadbhakta takes everything to be Vasudev. B. G. VII, 19. (i.e., any guru will be Krishna to the devotee) and guru takes disciple to be Vasudev and Krishna treats both as his prana and atma (B.G. XII.7). As Sri Krishna knows that there are such Bhaktas and Gurus, he refers Arjun to them so that their greatness may increase and be known.

13th December, 1936.

On the question as to how far I can give instances of Baba's acting like Jesus Christ in curing leprosy (congenital or acquired), blindness, deafness, palsy, devil possession, effects of sorcery and black magic and purifying vile harlots and other sinners, I know of clear particulars. But, as to his reproving vice, there are numerous instances. In my own case, he reproved lobha or love of wealth. I shall give the incident in full.

After the close of my full period of service, I got an extension of 3 months and after that was over, I naturally desired to have an extension of one year, and the Collector mooted the question and I mentioned my wish to continue for one year. The matter was thus practically settled and I had one year's extension. At that time, I had a dream. Therein I saw Sai Baba seated with somebody. Before him, I prostrated.

Baba : Do you know what these books are?
     I : No.
     Baba : They are your accounts. I am looking into your accounts.
     I : My account, Baba?
     Baba : Yes, Here are these. Look here. Does 17 come after 16 or 16 after 17?
     I : 16 comes before and not after 17.
     Baba : How is it then that in your account your 16 comes after 17?
     I : How can that be, Baba?
     Baba : See, is it not so? Here is your account.

He threw the account book open before me. I read it and found it was my own account. Yes Baba, here 16 comes after my 17. How is that?' Then I thought over the meaning of my dream. I concluded.

Source: Devotees Experiences of SRI SAI BABA by B.V.NARASIMHASWAMIJI

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #168 on: September 26, 2012, 05:43:17 PM »
  • Publish

• Sagun Meru Naik
    Mahrath, age 47, Teashop Shirdi, 7th December, 1936.

I belong to the village Bori Marmagoa, Poona Taluk. I was grazing cattle there. I went thence on my travels for years visiting and residing at Belgaum. I stayed at Narsowadi with Tembe Maharaj for 2 years; next with Ajunkar Maharaj. Next Gangapur I visited. I was ill and I stayed with Siddharood Maharaj of Hubli. Next after going to Rameshwar, Pandharpur, etc., I came here (1911-12). Baba remarked “you have come from a Mota Darbar” in allusion to my stay with Siddharood Maharaj. Baba gave me advice for 5 months after my arrival. When I asked him for leave to go away, he said “Stay here doing something. God will give you (Barakatha) blessing". I obeyed and have made Shirdi my home and last abode. From that time, I am running this teashop and refreshment stall and sale of sundries (i.e.) Baba's pictures, arati books and devotional goods. I am prospering ever since I began that life here. I begged Baba that he should protect me and he said he would. I was doing petty services, ( i.e.) replenishing the Masjid lamps with oil.

I have had ample evidence of Baba's powers when I came to Shirdi in 1911-12. I came from Hyderabad accompanying a Vysia Sowcar of that State, who as a Sai-bhakta was paying his devout visit to Baba. That man brought with him his palsied daughter. She could not stand on her legs or walk. She had to skip on the ground using her hands in place of the powerless legs. She had to be carried into Baba's presence at first. But, on the third day of her arrival, she began to use her legs a little. On the eighth day, she was able to walk. The cure was most marvellous and due entirely to Baba's grace.

Another case of paralysis cured by Baba's grace was that of Mr. Ghaisas. Mr. Ghaisas was formerly in G.I.P. Railway service. His wife came here and was cured of her paralysis in a few days.

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #169 on: September 29, 2012, 06:23:11 PM »
  • Publish

• In 1914, I had a dream wherein Baba appeared and said, 'Bring me soft boiled rice'. Then for two years, I took boiled rice to Baba without any ghee in it. Then he told me to put some ghee into the food before taking it to him. Since then, and up-to-date, I have been carrying boiled rice with a little of ghee and first offering it to the God of Fire at Baba's Dhuni ( at the Mosque). I place part of it in a pot (Kolumba) for the use of Baba and throw the remainder to the dogs. For 5 or 6 years when huge crowds were daily flocking to Baba, I ran a busy hotel here, and engaged some Brahmin cooks to cook and serve food. In October 1919 when the crowd had fallen off, I closed down the hotel.

I know Upasani Maharaj. He had arrived here at Shirdi shortly before me. After I came he was living at Mr. H.S. Dixit's Wada and being fed for 5 or 6 months at Mr. Dixit's expense. This was when Mr.G.S. Khaparde was here. Madhav Rao Deshpande (H.S. Dixit's agent) and U. Maharaj then had a quarrel and the latter moved to Khandoba temple to live there.

In the middle of 1912, the marble stone paduka of Sri Sai Baba was installed at the foot of Baba's favourite Margosa tree in the Sathe Wada. Bhai Allibagkar, a Mahratti vendor of Udbattis started the idea. Practically the whole of the expenses were borne by Ram Rao Khotare of Bombay. Bhai Allibagkar was too poor to pay for this. Baba himself gave Rs.25 as his contribution. Four Brahmins, representing the four Vedas, were brought from Kopergaon for performing the ceremony. Amongst the local people Balasaheb Bhate, Bapu Sahib Jog, Dada Kelkar and Upasani Maharaj took a leading part, and helped in the installation

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #170 on: October 02, 2012, 07:31:32 PM »
  • Publish

• Some time later, one Martand, a mad Brahmin was living here, depending upon the bounteous supplies of food that Baba was throwing to all comers. There were hundreds of men living at Shirdi depending on Baba's doles of food for their sustenance. This man, one day, went to the Neem tree and with a huge stone broke the paduka into two. He went into the temple of Mahadeo and Parvati (where the images had been installed at Tatya Patel's instance) and broke those two images also. Baba was asked if a new paduka was to be ordered and to be installed in place of the broken one. Baba did not approve of that idea but said that mere anna santi would suffice. We fed 200 or 300 people soon after that. Two hundred or more were everyday waiting to be fed at Shirdi in those days.

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #171 on: October 02, 2012, 07:35:30 PM »
  • Publish

• Madhav Rao Deshpande alias Shama
    Brahmin, aged about 80
    Dixit Wada, Shirdi, 9th March, 1938.

Upasani Baba, when he came to Shirdi first, was sleeping and boarding here. He was still unwell. He cried in his sleep, "I am dead," and he asked me to request Sai Baba to help him. I told Sai Baba that Upasani Sastri was expecting death and getting frightened. Sai Baba replied that this place Shirdi is for saving and not killing people. At first I (like others) took Upasani Maharaj for a detective. But he assured me he was not one. Sai Baba at the first visit asked him to stay on or return within eight days. Upasani did not agree and pleaded distance from Dhulia, etc., as his reasons. Finally he put up in this (Dixit) Wada for 21 years. Sai Baba told him to remain four years in Khandoba temple, and promised him Khandoba's grace at the end of that term. This was said by Baba about 15 days after his second arrival. G.S. Khaparde held his reading classes downstairs. Upasani Sastri, etc., attended it. Upasani Sastri would spend much of his nights in talk upstairs, when he lived at Khandoba's.

Sai Baba's statement that he was four years younger than myself cannot be understood as relating to this life. He looked my senior in point of age. He told me of my relations with him in previous births. Once he said to me, "You and I were living in the same lane, in a former birth."

The little girl of three, Santi Kirvandikar, who fell into a well and was upheld by Baba's hand, slowly left in the water and thus saved from any hurt by Baba's grace and who called herself sister of Baba, is now alive. Her father Baba Kirvandikar (now dead) was then living here. When she fell into the well, H.S. Dixit, G.M. Buty, etc., were here. That might be about 1915. She is married and is now living with her husband at Malegaon, which is 30 miles off Manmad.

I was an Assistant teacher in a school which was located in the place where Baba's horse is now stabled. A window of that always looked on the adjoining mosque. Through that I occasionally watched Sai Baba who was taken by people to be a mad fakir. I had no regard for him then. I remained a teacher five or six years. I gave up that place, as I was transferred. Ganu Master then took my place. Nana Ratna Parkhe was my Headmaster and superior. One Laxman Master was another teacher above me. Our family belonged to Nimon, where I was born. But my father came and settled here, when I was two years old. Ever since, I have continued here. I studied here. After resigning my place, I used to visit Sai Baba off and on. In five or six months thereafter, I was convinced that Sai Baba was God. How my faith grew even when I was a teacher, I shall mention. I used to sleep in the school. Baba was the sole occupant of the mosque. Yet I could hear English, Hindi, many languages being spoken in the mosque (at night) evidently by Baba. I inferred that he had remarkable powers and began to have faith in him.

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #172 on: October 12, 2012, 10:47:20 AM »
  • Publish

• When I was still at School, Chidambar Keshav Gadgil came to Shirdi and asked me, "It is said a great Sadhu is here. Where is he?" I replied that there was none at Shirdi and from the school I pointed to the mosque and told him, There is only this mad Fakir." Mr. Gadgil went to the mosque. Sai Baba showered abuse on him. But the abuse was productive of faith and joy. Gadgil had worshipped or paid his respects to a saint living at Bhima Shankar temple at Poona. That saint had asked him to go and see the saint at Shirdi. That was why he had come to Shirdi. Now Sai in his abuse referred to that and Gadgil felt sure that Baba was a Gnani, a great saint. Thenceforward he frequently visited Baba and became his staunch devotee. At the first visit of Mr.Gadgil he was a Chitnis, and with him came Vaman, a Special Munsiff, and Sitaram Patwardhan, an Educational Officer, and a tongawalla. I went with these up to the steps of the Mosque. Baba forbade us from climbing the steps and began his shower of abuse. Therein he said, "I am a moslem. Go and fall at the feet of the sadhu at Bhimashanker temple, etc."

Anandaswami (Anandanath is not the correct name) was a devotee of Akkalkote Maharaj (who passed away about 1878) and had established a mutt at Savargaon (6 miles off Yeola) where he lived. He was about 95 years old in 1885 when I and Nandram Marwadi etc., went to see him, at his mutt. He wore only a langoti and was a great Sakshatkari. At the close of our visit Anandaswami came with us to Shirdi to see Sai Baba. Sai Baba and he saw each other but exchanged no words. Thereafter Anandaswami returned and told us his opinion of Sri Sai in these words, "Here is a diamond on a dunghill." Bala Chopdar (now aged 60) was then aged only 7 years.

Gangagir came to Shirdi and conducted grand Saptha repeating with numerous people mantras etc., for 7 days with Homa and fed large numbers, at the close of the Saptha. He did so only once. That was long after Anandaswami's visit. Gangagir also saw Sai Baba and expressed his very high opinion of Baba.

Nana Saheb Nimonkar was older than myself by at least 5 or 6 years.

I shall recite Baba's strange goat purchase. Once a man had a number of goats with him. Two of his goats were worth about Rs. 4/- each. Baba went to him, paid 32 Rupees for them and bought them. I and Tatya Patel learning the price Baba had paid said that in the bargain Baba had been duped, as the goats were worth only 4 Rs. each. Baba then got pulses etc. for about 1 1/2 Rs. and fed the goats with the pulses. Then he explained why he acted like this. He found, he said, that the goats were looking at him entreatingly. Then Baba noticed them. They were in their previous birth two women that had served Baba. But they were fiercely quarrelling with each other and had killed each other. They took birth as goats. Baba then went and returned the goats to their owner.

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #173 on: November 03, 2012, 11:34:28 AM »
  • Publish

• Pishya was a Rohilla. Many Rohillas came here in Baba's time. At Neemgaon there were the landholders, Baba Saheb Dengle and his younger brother Nana Saheb Dengle. Neither of them was an official. But they had much influence with officials. Nana Saheb Dengle came to Baba when I was a teacher at the school.

When Nana Saheb Nimonkar was staying at Shirdi, his son and daughter-in-law at Poona were attacked by plague. Mrs. and Mr. N. Wanted permission to go to Poona. Baba did not grant permission. Mrs. N. then wept. Baba said to her "Why do you cry? In 15 days' time your son will come here." Accordingly the son and his wife recovered and the son came to Shirdi within the period fixed by Baba.

Sai Baba enabled people to escape the clutches of death in such "gandas". Compare this with the way in which Samartha Ramdas enabled one to escape such a Ganda. At a particular time death was to seize a devotee. But Ramdas told the latter to remain by his side and be vigorously holding on to the feet of Ramdas. The appointed time came and passed away. Death had been kept at bay by Ramdas and his devotee escaped death on that occasion.

Nana Wali was 70 years old at the time of his death. He was Gurubandhu of Yeshwantrao, the departed Dev Mam-latdar of Nasik.

When our Nana Wali came, he was old. Baba encouraged him and said"Kulup lagadiya killi there paas hai. Mereko dhaga nai dhena Mai dhaga nahi dhunga". Nana Wali was a Sakshatkari Purusha, who had thorough Vairagya. He ate Pig's filth. He kept scorpions in his mouth and also frogs and rats. Once he spat the rat on Sai Baba.

He wore no sacred thread.

On the day Baba passed away Nana Wali declared, "I will clear off". He died some days thereafter.

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #174 on: November 27, 2012, 03:07:32 PM »
  • Publish

• Abdul
    son of Sultan of Nanded in Khandesh, Aged about 65, Mussulman, residing at Shirdi

8th December, 1936

I came to Shirdi 45 years ago (1889) from Nanded on the banks of Tapti. I was under the care of Fakir Amiruddin of Nanded. Sai Baba appeared in the dream of that Fakir and delivering two mangoes to him directed him to give those fruits to me and to send me to Shirdi. Accordingly the Fakir told me of his dream, gave me the fruits and bade me go to Sai Baba at Shirdi. I came here in my twentieth year. Even Nana Sheb Chandorkar had not then come to Baba. Baba welcomed me saying ie., "My crow is come". Baba directed me to devote myself entirely to his service. From the beginning, I lighted and fed with oil five perpetual lamps, i.e., those at Lendi, Masjid, Chavadi, etc. As for food, Baba was not giving me or any one else food. I got some food somehow and lived 5 or 6 years in what is now the stable.

I was always by Baba's side rendering service. I read Koran near him at the mosque. Baba occasionally opened the Koran and made me read the passages on the page at which he opened the book. He occasionally quoted passages from the Koran. I went on writing down what Baba was uttering. This is the book (in Mahratti and Modi script) which contains the gracious utterances of Baba. Everything which fell from his lips is sacred.

I make use of this record in the following way. By Baba's blessings, I have full faith in what he has said, guiding me and every one aright. When any one wished to know about the future or other unseen and unknown matter, he comes to me and states the problem. Then I reverently consult this book of Baba's utterances and the answer that comes out of the page opened comes out correct. This has been tried and proved many times. This gift of prophecy is due to Baba's grace. I shall give two instances of such consultation. When the well in the Sai Mandir was dug, the water proved brackish. Baba had attained Mahasamadhi at that time. I consulted his utterance book. Baba's reply was that as a result of deeper digging the well water would become sweeter. I dug the well deeper by two feet and well water was no more brackish. A second instance is Barrister Gedgil's. He wanted to know if his son would return from England. I said he would and he did.

I use this manuscript book of Baba's utterances along with and just like the Koran. I go on reading it reverently, getting absorbed in it and go on rolling my beads at the same time.

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #175 on: December 02, 2012, 07:24:45 PM »
  • Publish

• Baba sat behind what is now a pillar-like structure at the Lendi in which a "Nanda Deepam" or perpetual lamp is kept up. I found generally that Baba sat behind the Lendi pillar which enclosed the lamp and not in front. From there the lamp was not visible to him. I never saw him gazing at that lamp. I was the person to do the required service at the Lendi and at other places for Baba. I used to fill pots with water and place them near Baba at the Lendi lamp place. He would sit near two such potsful of water; and he would go on pouring out the water in various directions. What that was for and whether he would utter any mantra while doing so, I cannot say. Except me none else was present when he poured out water as stated above.

I do not think that any other Mohammedan except myself was reading Koran or other Holy books sitting by Baba's side. Baba would occasionally go on speaking out sacred words and I have noted them in this note book. By Baba's order or permission I have taken all this down. The writing can be read by you or other devotees. The script is either Devanagari or modi.

(N.B. - Abdul hands over the note book to B.V.N, who finds they are in Marathi language. There are prayers to Maruti in those reports or speeches of Baba. There are recitals of the Avatars of God dovetailing Mohammed and numerous others with the Hindu Dasa Avatar. Quite obviously, Sri Sai Baba and following him Abdul, revere the Hindu Avatars, Maruti etc. and pray to them).

As stated already I use these books not merely for daily reading but also as "Sortes Virgiliani" for purposes of prophecy.

Shirdi, 10th March 1938

No Mussalmans came and read books like Koran and Shariff to Baba or asked him for explanation. Several fakirs and saints came here. But I do not know if he talked with them on Koran and Shariff.

I was busy with activities (physical) in the service of Baba, sweeping and scavenging all streets here, and then read Koran etc., near Baba, keeping awake all night. Baba's practical advice to me was that I should not go to sleep over my Koran reading. He said, "Eat very little. Do not go in for variety of eatables. A single sort, i.e., dish, will suffice. Do not sleep much". I followed the advice. I ate very little. I kept awake all night and in a kneeling posture was going on repeating the Koran etc., near Baba or meditating. Baba told me to have Dhyan on what I read. Think of who I am" he said to me.

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #176 on: December 05, 2012, 11:48:46 AM »
  • Publish

• One night I was tired and tried to sleep, holding my palms in front of me to rest my drowsy head. Then Baba said "Are you trying to see the moon?" That night I fell asleep and fell upon Baba and his gadi in that sleeping condition. Baba gently stroked my feet and I awoke. Next day, strange to say, when I took water in my palms and looked, there was a big moon in that water. It was 2 p.m. This was what Baba had spoken of. I used to look after the Lendi place and its light i.e., the ever burning light maintained by Baba there. It was in those days placed in a hollow in the earth scooped out to the depth of about 2 feet and protected with a cover to save the light from being blown out. There was a pandal. A zinc sheet was the top of the pandal. Some 20 curtains of cloth were tied all round, to form something like a tent. I remained in it and looked after the lamp in the centre of it. That light has been shifted from its place now, very slightly, and is put in a raised pillar of bricks and mortar containing an enclosed chamber for the lamp. When Baba sat near to lendi he would sit close to the light. I filled two buckets with water and placed them near him. This water he would scatter alround that lamp. He would get up from the lendi and walk a few yards in each direction and go on gazing at that direction.

My service to Sai Baba was service to him and to all. I washed Baba's clothes in the streamlet (odai) flowing at the village boundary. I swept the mosque, the chavadi and surrounding places and lit the lamp in these places and fed them and the lendi lamp with oil. I not merely swept the village streets but also removed the night soil. Baba called me Halalkoor (Scavenger) and "my miriambi". I fetched water and did sundry services.

Ayi during the early years of her stay did part of the street sweeping work. Even then, my work supplemented hers.

Baba protected me and protects me by giving me the needed food and ensuring my safety and progress.

About 1927, i.e., after Ayi and Baba passed away. I was in Ayi's sala, reciting Quran. The three walls of that dilapidated mud building suddenly collapsed and I was buried waist deep in the debris. But Baba saved me from any hurt. Baba has given me his blessings and kept me with him. First my Guru himself directed me to be with and serve Baba, and I did so. But later my Guru came to Shirdi and wanted me to go away with him. I replied that I could do so, if Baba so ordered. But no such order having been issued I stayed on with Baba and my former Guru went away from Shirdi. Baba's blessings to me were strange and sometimes concealed in abuse and violence. He has beaten me and Jog many times.

He uttered blessings and prophecies, seated before me in the morning at the chavadi and then started for the mosque. Baba was constantly saying many things about Avatars etc. These have been written down in my note book. I take 3 baths a day. Only if I see the face of a lady, I can say positively whether she will have issue or will get married. I have given out such prophecies and they have come right. I owe all this to Baba.
    I give Asirvad to those who come to me.

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #177 on: December 08, 2012, 04:51:25 PM »
  • Publish

• Shyama Rao Jayker
    aged 70, painter. Ville Parle
    18th September, 1936.

I was at Shirdi in 1916-1917 and even earlier, I went and stayed with others. But, when they left Shirdi, I continued to stay. When I was with others I was getting money and so Baba asked me for dakshina and I paid. After others left I had no money. Baba did not then ask me for dakshina. Baba knew of my condition without being told.

When I was a boy of 16, a Brahmachari gave me Siva Mantra, (i.e.) initiated me into it. Later, a sanyasi gave me a Sakti Mantra to add to it and form its compliment. When I went to Baba, I had thus my initiation and my mantra. His advice to every one is to keep to what he has already, his guru, his mantra and his course "Jo Karith Ale Thech Kara" but Baba gave us a lot of fine ethical teaching (e.g.): 'Be pure and truthful. Treat all people properly'.

I knew some of the people at Shirdi. I never went to Radhkrishna Ayi, as there was no need for me to do. I knew Nana Wali. He was a dangerous man. Sai Baba warned me not to move with him. First, I had moved with Nana Wali. Dr. Pillai also had done so. But once he beat Dr. Pillai, and we left Nana. He was not worshipping Baba, but treated him with some consideration. Baba would beat him and warn him not to do mischief.

During the eight months of my stay at Shirdi, I heard a lot of goshtis (i.e) talks of Baba. But, I do not remember any now. Baba, so far as I know, did not give any adwattic teaching to any. People went to him for the most part for plain matter-of-fact requests (e.g.) health, wealth etc.. and he dealt with them.

Baba is looking after me and I am content. I lost two sons. But, he keeps us alright. It is not for money that we should go to him - though he gives us money also, when he thinks fit. He used to say that the walls of his Masjid were really made of gold. He wanted people to come and take away cartloads of that wealth; and his regret was that none came to take it away.

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #178 on: December 09, 2012, 04:55:50 PM »
  • Publish

• 17th October, 1936.
    I went to Baba for the first time, as Rao Bahadur M.V.Pradhan wanted me to give him a a lifelike oil painting of Baba. So I had to go and actually see Baba. I went and had a good look at him. He also was looking at me. Then Baba's leave had to be obtained before an oil painting could be made of him. So Shama, (i.e.) Madhav Rao Deshpande, went and asked him for permission. Then Baba replied, "Why should I, a poor fakir, have an oil painting of me? You, Shama, you may get a portrait of yourself. Ultimately, Madhav Rao came and told me that Baba's leave for the painting had been obtained from Baba. Instead of painting one picture, as ordered, I painted three. Then, Rao Bahadur M.V.Pradhan took two and the third was taken to Baba, touched by him and handed over to H.S.Dixit. There, in his bungalow, it is still kept and worshipped.

One more big-sized picture I painted of Baba. That was left unused for some years and is now kept in. the Mosque, and serving to assist or augment the devotion of numerous people who go and look at it.

Baba has been very kind to me. But, I have been guilty of neglecting Baba and all things. I have been so peculiarly indifferent in my temperament, I cannot carry things through. Baba knows this well enough. Once, I was wishing to worship silver padukas of Baba, after receiving them from his own hands. So, I got a small silver pair of padukas prepared and took them to Baba. He looked at them and me. He received them. But, instead of giving them to me, he sloped his palms (on which the padukas were placed) downwards and they fell down. I picked them up and hoped to worship them. But, that very evening, I gave out my clothing for wash, with the silver padukas inside a shirt-pocket. They were lost to me and I never got them back. Baba knew how I would lose things and so did not give the padukas into my hands to worship but allowed them to slip off his hands, showing evidently how they were going soon to slip off mine.

On one occasion, I had lent Rs. 4,000 to a very rich Moslem purda lady without issue. It was essential for me to recover the sum as I have a large family of 8 sons to support. But, the lady never sent me the money. I went to Baba, hoping to have his sympathy and aid for recovering the money. But, Baba said to me then 'Let us have nothing to do with such evil or ill-fated wealth'. I did not get back my money. Two or three years later, I was told that she had lost all her wealth.

Ever since I went to Baba, his photo or picture is always with me; wherever I may go to live, Baba has been protecting us, (i.e.) me and my family, in remarkable ways of which I shall mention only a few instances.

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #179 on: December 12, 2012, 12:55:21 PM »
  • Publish

• In 1916, we were living at Gajanan Rao's house at Mugabat, a part of Bombay. Baba's picture was kept in a room there. One night at about 2 a.m. thieves were trying to break into that house, beginning with the very room in which Baba's picture was kept. They had succeeded in pulling out by mere strength 1 or 2 iron bars from the window of that room. Entry into the house thereafter would naturally have followed and the whole house would have been pillaged and robbed. But a barber was sleeping in the verandah in a totally different part of the house. It was usual for him to get up at 4 a.m. and to go round the house for answering calls of nature. On this occasion most strangely and without any traceable reason, the man got up at 2 a.m. and went round the house for his necessary purpose. The thieves seeing him began to run. He saw them and shouted out Thieves, Thieves', and every one got up. We found we had got up just in time to prevent the robbers entering inside the house. Every one concluded that Baba took care of the house and took care to nip out the intended robbery when it began in his own room.

In 1917, we were living at Poona in a dilapidated house, the ceiling and walls of which were crumbling. To prevent the falling of dust from the ceiling, cloth had been stuck up under the ceiling. One night, in such a room, there was a picture of Baba with a kerosene lamp burning in front of it, and my one-year old child also sleeping close by. At dead of night, there was a sudden thud. The ceiling cloth had fallen. Loose bricks from some of the walls had fallen on the cloth and the debris came with the cloth on to the floor. As the ceiling cloth covered the whole ceiling, it might be expected to fall with the bricks on it, on the child and the lamp if not on Baba's picture. But Baba's providence willed it otherwise. The debris and the cloth fell within a foot of the child and the lamp and did not touch either the child or the lamp. If they had fallen on the child, it would have been crushed; if on the lamp, there would have been a choking fire on the child and other parts of the house might have been endangered.

In 1917, we went and stayed for 10 months at Shirdi. We put up at Bala Bhav's (i.e.) Sharadabai's house. A snake was living in a hole in the small portion in which we lived and we were in danger. One night, my son and others saw the reptile emerge from its hole and made short work of it.

In 1923, my son Surendra, then aged ten, had typhoid. In the course of his illness, he cried out one day, that gas was rising upward from his belly and pressing hard evidently against the diaphragm and heart etc. And he shouted, 'Save me, Save me'. He had become extremely weak from the typhoid and I feared even to touch him much more to press or massage him. I merely cried in a very loud voice, 'Baba.' The upward pressure at once abated.

Facebook Comments