Join Sai Baba Announcement List

DOWNLOAD SAMARPAN - Nov 2018

Author Topic: Inspirational Stories  (Read 24476 times)

Offline Dipika

• Blessings 9
Inspirational Stories
« on: May 24, 2008, 09:23:16 AM »
  • Publish
  • The Weight Of Resentments  

A teacher once told each of her students to bring a clear plastic bag and a sack of potatoes to school.  For every person they refuse to forgive in their life's experience, they chose a potato, wrote on it the name and date, and  put it in the plastic bag.   Some of their bags were quite heavy.  

They were then told to carry this bag with them everywhere for one week, putting it beside their bed at night, on the car seat when driving, next to their desk at work.  

The hassle of lugging this around with them made it clear what a weight they were carrying spiritually, and how they had to pay attention to it all the time to not forget and keep leaving it in embarrassing places.  Naturally, the  condition of the potatoes deteriorated to a nasty smelly slime.  This was a great metaphor for the price we pay for keeping our pain and heavy negativity!

Too often we think of forgiveness as a gift to the other person, and it clearly is for ourselves!

ALLAH MALIK!

Sai baba let your holy lotus feet be our sole refuge.OMSAIRAM
    « Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 05:06:05 PM by diPika »
    साईं बाबा अपने पवित्र चरणकमल ही हमारी एकमात्र शरण रहने दो.ॐ साईं राम

Dipika Duggal

Offline Dipika

• Blessings 9
    Re: How much weight ru carrying????
    « Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 09:46:54 AM »
  • Publish
  • Kiss Someone Before You Go

The subway train sways back and forth, its wheels screeching more fiendishly than ever against the tracks. Outside the window the freezing cold of winter rules and the dreary bay looks like a yawning abyss as the train rumbles across it. The carriage is filled with frozen self-centered, bored passengers. Good morning!

Suddenly a little boy pushes his way in between discourteous grown-up legs - the kind that only grudgingly make room for you. While his father stays by the door, the boy sits next to the window, surrounded by unfriendly, morning-weary adults. What a brave child, I think. As the train enters a tunnel, something totally unexpected and peculiar happens. The little boy slides down from his seat and puts his hand on my knee. For a moment, I think that he wants to go past me and return to his father, so I shift a bit. But instead of moving on, the boy leans forward and stretches his head up towards me. He wants to tell me something, I think. Kids! I bend down to listen to what he has to say. Wrong again! He kisses me softly on the cheek.

Then he returns to his seat, leans back and cheerfully starts looking out of the window. But I'm shocked. What happened? A kid kissing unknown grown-ups on the train? To my amazement, the kid proceeds to kiss all my neighbors. 

Nervous and bewildered, we look questioningly at his father, "He's so happy to be alive," the father says. "He's been very sick."

The train stops and father and son get down and disappear into the crowd. The doors close. On my cheek I can still feel the child's kiss - a kiss that has triggered some soul-searching. How many grown-ups go around kissing each other from the sheer joy of being alive? How many even give much thought to the privilege of living? What would happen if we all just started being ourselves?

The little boy had given us a sweet but serious slap in the face: Don't let yourself die before your heart stops!

ALLAH MALIK!

« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 04:56:55 AM by diPika »

Dipika Duggal

Offline Dipika

• Blessings 9
    « Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 09:52:37 AM »
  • Publish
  • Kindness

Some years ago, a tiny Korean orphan arrived in the United States to join her adoptive family. She was nine months old and weighed only 9 ½ pounds.   She grew and blossomed in her new home, but remained a diminutive size. Her new name was Edie. 

One day when Edie was in second grade, she ran home from school, crying.  She was frightened. That day, three new girls had been enrolled in her class. During the first recess, they picked the smallest girl in the class as the object of their anger and frustration.  They pinched, poked,  and pushed tiny Edie and threatened to beat her up. Edie had spent an  hour in the principal's office with the three girls and was assured the teachers would be watching. The girls were given a warning. 

Edie's mother held her little one and comforted her. She learned later, after speaking with the principal, that the girls had been troublemakers at several other schools. They were being given one more chance at anew beginning. 

"These girls must have been very hurt in their young lives to be so angry.  Her mother said. "The Bible tells us, "Be kind to your enemies, and pray for those who persecute you. Edie, let's pray."  Then they prayed for the girls and asked the Lord for a plan of action.

A plan began to take shape.  "I can't go to school with you everyday, so you will need to stay close to a teacher when you are at recess or in line to go into school."  said Edie's mom.  "If the girls start to pick on you, tell them, "I'd really like to be your friend  Are you brave enough to do that?"  Edie's mother asked. "The Lord asks us to be kind to our enemies, let's see what happens, okay?

The tiny girl perked up, and with a smile, looked at her mother and said, "Yes, Mom, I'll try."

The next morning, and everyday before Edie left for school, she and her mom prayed for her to be safe and brave, and for the girls to be open to God's love.   Everyday, the girls shoved into line behind Edie and called her names and tried to get in a poke or two.

Each time, Edie looked up at them and said,  "I'd really like to be your friend."  She did have to look up at them since they were so much taller than she was.  The teachers kept an eye on the proceedings, but did not need to interfere as the girls  were not hurting her.

After about two weeks, Edie came home looking so discouraged.  She told her mother that she didn't think it was working.  After they talked about it some more and prayed, she decided to keep trying and continued to faithfully tell them, "I'd really like to be your friend."

One day the following week, Edie ran home as fast as she could and ran into the house shouting, "Mom,  Mom, guess what happened today?  Just like I always did, I said  I'd really like to be your friend, and one of the girls said,  "Okay, Edie, we give up, we'll be your friend."

Edie and her mom thanked the Lord for His faithfulness.

A short time later, as the girls were trying to become friends, Edie asked the teacher if she could sit at a table with these girls in the classroom.  She had noticed that they were disruptive because they didn't understand the lessons.  Edie became their tutor.

Toward the end of the school year, when Edie's parents went to school for  a parent teacher conference, the teacher told them, "Because of Edie's kindness, those girl's have completely turned around and are productive members of the class."  She felt she had witnessed a miracle.  And so did Edie's mom and dad.

How many people go through life never experiencing kindness?  They don't see it in strangers, and some don't even find it in their own families. Without experiencing kindness, it becomes impossible to express kindness toward others.  The result of this tragic lack is seen everywhere. What a different society this would be if everyone who has received kindness would be kind to others, especially the unlovely.

ALLAH MALIK!

« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 04:55:20 AM by diPika »

Dipika Duggal

Offline Dipika

• Blessings 9
    « Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 09:56:47 AM »
  • Publish
  • Under His Wings 

An article in National Geographic several years ago provided a penetrating picture of God's wings.

After a forest fire in Yellowstone National Park, forest rangers began their trek up a mountain to assess the inferno's damage. One ranger found a bird literally petrified in ashes, perched statuesquely on the ground at the base of a tree. Somewhat sickened by the eerie sight, he knocked over the bird with a stick. When he struck it, three tiny chicks scurried from under their dead mother's wings. The loving mother, keenly aware of impending disaster, had carried her offspring to the base of the tree and had gathered them under her wings, instinctively knowing that the toxic smoke would rise. 

She could have flown to safety but had refused to abandon her babies. When the blaze had arrived and the heat had scorched her small body, the mother had remained steadfast. Because she had been willing to die, those under the cover of her wings would live. 

"He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge..." (Psalm 91:4)    

ALLAH MALIK!

« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 04:54:28 AM by diPika »

Dipika Duggal

Offline Dipika

• Blessings 9
    « Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 10:01:43 AM »
  • Publish
  • Unconditional Love is the Answer

There was a time in my life I became afraid to love. Because all those times I fell in love, I got hurt. I thought maybe that's why it's called "falling" in love.

I would give my all, loving deeply and wholeheartedly. It would be a truly emotional, extremely euphoric experience. I would dream about the object of my affection all day and all night, imagining good times together, thinking of what I can do or give him to show how much I cared. I would feel light as a feather, energized and excited, literally blooming with the joy I felt inside. Then somehow something would go wrong and my whole world would crash. Disappointment. Resentment. Anger. Pain. 

Why? Can we not love without pain? Is disappointment really a price to pay for all the happiness we feel when we're in love? Should we blindly accept that because we love we get hurt?

It was only after many years of soul-searching and internalizing inspirational writings that I discovered that I can love without getting hurt. I finally understood that unconditional love was the answer.

Love is one of the most powerful forces in the universe. It is the fire that burns inside, the essence of being. Love is the source of all our comfort and contentment. It is a precious gift that defines our purpose in life. If we keep in mind that we can indeed preserve its true meaning, we can love to the fullest and be happy the rest of our lives.

Accept that people express love in different ways.

How do YOU express your love? You say "I love you" three times a day, you kiss and embrace him every chance you get, you never forget your anniversaries, and you always prepare his favorite dishes. How does HE express his love? He rarely says "I love you", he seldom kisses you, he forgets your birthday, and he doesn't even try to cook. But he works overtime, walks the dog, helps you with the laundry, takes you to the movies, and calls you "Honey". He probably loves you as much as you love him, he just shows it differently. If you can accept that difference then you can have a healthier perspective of your relationship.

Derive happiness from giving love.

When you love, do it because you want to. There is indescribable joy in loving. Just give it. And cherish the satisfaction in having given someone something of yourself. It's like giving a gift. Whether it is appreciated or not, find joy in simply giving.

Love without expecting anything in return.

Now this is where pain comes in: when you demand something in return for the love you give. You are actually setting yourself up for disappointment because love cannot always be reciprocal. Love between two people can never be of the same intensity at the same time and place. No matter how much your partner loves you, she will never be able to fill all your needs all the time. And you are worst off if you believe you should love only when you are sure to receive equal love in return. Sad to say, you will be waiting in misery forever.

Love now.

The past is gone and the future is just a dream. All of yesterday's aches and pains, even the joys and laughter, are mere memories. Let them go. And your fantasies and worries? They may never come. So why dwell on them? Live now. Give love now. Do it now and enjoy the moment. That is the secret of inner contentment.

Throw away those destructive habits.

When you insist upon yourself that you always have to be in control, that you always have to be right, that others must always please you, you mold unreasonable expectations of yourself and the ones you love. Loving relationships are flexible, dynamic, and evolving. Give room for change and interaction. Allow for new behavior and learning experiences. When we welcome these into our lives, we open ourselves up to love and affection rather than anger and frustration.

Yes, you will say that unconditional love is easier said than done. Especially when we have always believed that love is give and take. Try believing that love is simply giving. They say “Give until it hurts”. Let’s say “Love until it hurts no more”.

ALLAH MALIK!

« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 04:53:41 AM by diPika »

Dipika Duggal

Offline Dipika

• Blessings 9
    « Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 10:08:25 AM »
  • Publish
  • The Story of Two Teardrops 

Two little teardrops were floating down the river of life. One drop said to the other, "I am the teardrop of a girl who loved a man and lost him." Who are you? "Well, I am the teardrop of the girl who won him." 

Love is very strange. Love is unconditional commitment to an imperfect individual. You need it but when you love, it's like destining yourself for pain. You become addicted and dependent on the person. You become strong and at the same time, you open yourself up to being hurt. Love can make you bear any kind of pain and any kind of sacrifice. It can also make you feel stupid and act stupidly. Sometimes when you love and end up giving so much of yourself, subconciously you only discover how much you've given when the person you love hurts you or has to say goodbye. 

Then you realize, an important part of yourself is already with that person. It goes away when he leaves and you are left with a sickening, empty feeling inside. 

Tears are bound to shed from your eyes no matter how you force yourself to keep them in. Most teardrops ever shed on this earth have been for love or lack of it. When tears dry, a silent loss sticks to your heart for a long, long time. 

Well, that's what you get for caring so much about someone. But how can you regret it? To give yourself freely and lovingly is the most beautiful thing you can do. Loving makes you real. Loving also makes you cry. And that is why a teardrop is also BEAUTIFUL

ALLAH MALIK!

« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 04:52:05 AM by diPika »

Dipika Duggal

Offline Dipika

• Blessings 9
    « Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 10:40:35 AM »
  • Publish
  • Weakness Or Strength

Sometimes your biggest weakness can become your biggest strength. Take, for example, the story of one 10-year-old boy who decided to study judo despite the fact that he had lost his left arm in a devastating car accident.

The boy began lessons with an old Japanese judo master. The boy was doing well, so he couldn't understand why, after three months of training, the master had taught him only one move. 

"Sensei," the boy finally said, "shouldn't I be learning more moves?" 

"This is the only move you know, but this is the only move you'll ever need to know," the sensei replied. 

Not quite understanding, but believing in his teacher, the boy kept training. 

Several months later, the sensei took the boy to his first tournament. Surprising himself, the boy easily won his first two matches. The third match proved to be more difficult, but after some time, his opponent became impatient and charged; the boy deftly used his one move to win the match. Still amazed by his success, the boy was now in the finals. 

This time, his opponent was bigger, stronger, and more experienced. For a while, the boy appeared to be overmatched. Concerned that the boy might get hurt, the referee called a time-out. He was about to stop the match when the sensei intervened. 

"No," the sensei insisted, "Let him continue." 

Soon after the match resumed, his opponent made a critical mistake: he dropped his guard. Instantly, the boy used his move to pin him. The boy had won the match and the tournament. He was the champion. 

On the way home, the boy and sensei reviewed every move in each and every match. Then the boy summoned the courage to ask what was really on his mind. 

"Sensei, how did I win the tournament with only one move?"

"You won for two reasons," the sensei answered. "First, you've almost mastered one of the most difficult throws in all of judo. Second, the only known defense for that move is for your opponent to grap your left arm." 

The boy's biggest weakness had become his biggest strength  .

ALLAH MALIK!

« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 04:56:12 AM by diPika »

Dipika Duggal

Offline Dipika

• Blessings 9
    « Reply #7 on: May 24, 2008, 10:46:38 AM »
  • Publish
  • Information Please

When I was quite young, my father had one of the first telephones in our neighborhood. I remember well the polished old case fastened to the wall. The shiny receiver hung on the side of the box.

I was too little to reach the telephone, but used to listen with fascination when my mother talked to it. Then I discovered that somewhere inside the wonderful device lived an amazing person - her name was "Information, Please" and there was nothing she did not know. "Information, Please" could supply anybody's number and the correct time. 

My first personal experience with this genie-in the-bottle came one day while my mother was visiting a neighbor. Amusing myself at the tool bench in the basement, I whacked my finger with a hammer. The pain was terrible, but there didn't seem to be any reason in crying because there was no one home to give sympathy. 

I walked around the house sucking my throbbing finger, finally arriving at the stairway. The telephone! Quickly, I ran for the foot stool in the parlor and dragged it to the landing. Climbing up, I unhooked the receiver in the parlor and held it to my ear. "Information, Please," I said into the mouthpiece just above my head. 

A click or two and a small clear voice spoke into my ear, "Information."

"I hurt my finger," I wailed into the phone. The tears came readily enough now that I had an audience. 

"Isn't your mother home?" came the question. "Nobody's home but me." I blubbered. 

"Are you bleeding?" the voice asked. 

"No," I replied. "I hit my finger with the hammer and it hurts." "Can you open your icebox?" she asked. I said I could. 

"Then chip off a little piece of ice and hold it to your finger," said the voice. 

After that, I called "Information, Please" for everything. I asked her for help with my geography and she told me where Philadelphia was. She helped me with my math. She told me my pet chipmunk, that I had caught in the park just the day before, would eat fruit and nuts. 

Then, there was the time Petey, our pet canary died. I called "Information, Please" and told her the sad story. She listened, then said the usual things grown-ups say to soothe a child, but I was inconsolable. 

I asked her, "Why is it that birds should sing so beautifully and bring joy to all families, only to end up as a heap of feathers on the bottom of a cage?" 

She must have sensed my deep concern, for she said quietly, "Paul, always remember that there are other worlds to sing in." 

Somehow I felt better.

Another day I was on the telephone. "Information, Please."

"Information," said the now familiar voice. 

"How do you spell fix?" I asked.

All this took place in a small town in the Pacific Northwest. When I was nine years old, we moved across the country to Boston. I missed my friend very much. "Information, Please" belonged in that old wooden box back home, and I somehow never thought of trying the tall, shiny new phone that sat on the table in the hall. 

As I grew into my teens, the memories of those childhood conversations never really left me. Often, in moments of doubt and perplexity I would recall the serene sense of security I had then. I appreciated now how patient, understanding, and kind she was to have spent her time on a little boy. A few years later, on my way west to college, my plane put down in Seattle. I had about half an hour or so between planes. I spent 15 minutes on the phone with my sister, who lived there now. Then without thinking what I was doing, I dialed my hometown operator and said, "Information, Please." Miraculously, I heard the small, clear voice I knew so well, "Information." I hadn't planned this but I heard myself saying, "Could you please tell me how to spell fix?" 

There was a long pause. Then came the soft spoken answer, "I guess your finger must have healed by now." I laughed. "So it's really still you," I said. "I wonder if you have any idea how much you meant to me during that time." 

"I wonder," she said, "if you know how much your calls meant to me. I never had any children, and I used to look forward to your calls." 

I told her how often I had thought of her over the years and I asked if I could call her again when I came back to visit my sister. 

"Please do," she said. "Just ask for Sally." Three months later I was back in Seattle. A different voice answered, "Information."

I asked for Sally. 

"Are you a friend?" She asked. 

"Yes, a very old friend," I answered. 

"I'm sorry to have to tell you this," she said. "Sally has been working part-time the last few years because she was sick. She died five weeks ago." 

Before I could hang up she said, "Wait a minute. Did you say your name was Paul?" 

"Yes," I replied.

"Well, Sally left a message for you. She wrote it down in case you called. Let me read it to you." 

The note said, "Tell him I still say there are other worlds to sing in. He'll know what I mean." 

I thanked her and hung up. I knew what Sally meant.

Never underestimate the impression you may make on others. Whose life have you touched today?

ALLAH MALIK!

Dipika Duggal

Offline Dipika

• Blessings 9
    « Reply #8 on: May 24, 2008, 10:49:07 AM »
  • Publish
  • Ice Cream For The Soul

Last week I took my children to a restaurant. My six-year-old son asked if he could say grace. As we bowed our heads he said, "God is good. God is great. Thank you for the food, and I would even thank you more if mom gets us ice cream for dessert. And Liberty and justice for all! Amen!"

Along with the laughter from the other customers nearby I heard a woman remark, "That's what's wrong with this country. Kids today don't even know how to pray. Asking God for ice-cream! Why, I never!"

Hearing this, my son burst into tears and asked me, "Did I do it wrong? Is God mad at me?"

As I held him and assured him that he had done a terrific job and God was certainly not mad at him, an elderly gentleman approached the table.

He winked at my son and said, "I happen to know that God thought that was a great prayer."

"Really?" my son asked.

"Cross my heart." Then in a theatrical whisper he added (indicating the woman whose remark had started this whole thing), "Too bad she never asks God for ice cream. A little ice cream is good for the soul sometimes."

Naturally, I bought my kids ice cream at the end of the meal. My son stared at his for a moment and then did something I will remember the rest of my life.

He picked up his sundae and without a word walked over and placed it in front of the woman.

With a big smile he told her, "Here, this is for you. Ice cream is good for the soul sometimes, and my soul is good already."

ALLAH MALIK!

Dipika Duggal

Offline Dipika

• Blessings 9
    « Reply #9 on: May 24, 2008, 10:59:09 AM »
  • Publish
  • Songs In The Night

"Where is God my Maker, who gives songs in the night?" - Job (Job 35:10, NIV)

Ludwig van Beethoven, one of the world's greatest musicians, was born into a musical family in Germany. As a child he spent many lonely hours practicing his music every day.

By the age of eleven he was already composing his own music and conducting an orchestra. In his late teens he went to Vienna for further study. There he reached fame though not fortune.

One evening as he was out walking he passed a cobbler's house where he heard someone inside practicing one of his compositions. As he stopped to listen he overheard a girl say that she wished she could hear a real musician play it properly.

Beethoven went into the house and, noticing the young lady at the piano was blind, offered to play the piece for her. He did so for her for more than an hour and while he did, darkness fell and the lone candle in the room had gone out.

Outside in the night sky the moon shone brightly and sent its radiant beams glistening into the room where Beethoven sat playing beautiful music. He was so inspired by the appreciation of his music by the young lady and the beauty of the atmosphere in the room that he composed his famous "Moonlight Sonata."

Do you ever feel that your dreams have been shattered and you feel all alone in the darkness of despair? I certainly have. However, when our life is committed to Christ, it's in these "dark nights of the soul" when God is working in us to give us more understanding of life and compassion for others and in time will bring back the music into our life

ALLAH MALIK!

« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 04:50:36 AM by diPika »

Dipika Duggal

Offline adwaita

• Blessings 12
      • Heaven
    « Reply #10 on: May 25, 2008, 12:44:24 AM »
  • Publish
  • Wonderful posts deepika dear. Please continue. Baba bless you always. om sairam.

Offline Dipika

• Blessings 9
    « Reply #11 on: May 25, 2008, 03:24:33 AM »
  • Publish
  • A Secret Promise Kept 

The appointment I was on my way to was very important; I was very late and very lost. With my male ego in check, I began to look for a place to ask directions, preferably a gas station. Since I had been crisscrossing the city, my gas gauge was perilously low and time was of the essence.

I spotted the amber glow of light outside the local fire station. What better place to ask directions?

I quickly stepped from my car and crossed the street to the station. All three overhead doors were open and I could see red fire engines with their doors ajar, chrome shining, waiting in anticipation for the bell to ring.

As I stepped inside, the aroma of the station assaulted me. It was the smell of the hoses drying in the tower, the oversized rubber boots, jackets and helmets. These smells, mixed in with the freshly washed floors and polished trucks, created that mysterious scent associated with all fire stations. Slowing down, I took a deep breath, closed my eyes and was transported back to my youth, to the fire station where my father worked for 35 years as head of fire maintenance.

I looked down to the end of the fire station and there it stood, sparkling gold to the sky, the fire pole. One day my dad let me and my older brother Jay slide down the pole, twice. In the corner of the station was the “creeper” used to slide under trucks when repairing them. Dad would say, “Hold on” and he would spin me around until I was dizzy as a drunken sailor. It was better than any Tilt-A-Whirl ride I have ever been on.

Next to the creeper was an old soda machine that had the classic Coca-Cola logo on it. It still dispensed the original green 10-ounce bottles, but they were now 35 cents compared with the 10 cents they were back then. A trip to the soda machine was always the highlight of the visit with Dad to the station, my very own bottle of soda.

When I was 10 years old, I took two of my friends by the station to show off my dad and see if we could weasel some sodas out of him. After showing them around the station, I asked Dad if we could each have a soda before we went home for lunch. 

I detected just the slightest hesitation in my father’s voice that day, but he said “Sure” and gave us each a dime. We raced the soda machine to see if our bottle had a cap with the illustrious star on the inside.

What a lucky day! My cap had a star. I was only two caps away from sending for my very own Davy Crockett hat.

We all thanked my father and headed home for lunch and a summer afternoon of swimming.

I came home early that day from the lake, and as I walked down the hall I heard my parents talking. Mom seemed upset with Dad, and then I heard my name mentioned: “You should have just said you didn’t have the money for sodas. Brian would have understood. That money was for your lunch. The kids have to understand that we don’t have any extra money and you need to have your lunch.”

My dad, in his usual way, just shrugged it off.

Before my mother knew I had overheard the conversation, I hurried up the stairs to the room I shared with my four brothers.

As I emptied my pockets, the bottle cap that had caused so many problems fell to the floor. I picked it up and was ready to put it with the other seven when I realized how great a sacrifice my father had made for that bottle cap.

That night I made a promise of repayment. Someday I would be able to tell my father that I knew of the sacrifice he made that afternoon and so many other days, and I would never forget him for it.

My father had his first heart attack at the young age of 47. I guess his lifestyle of working three jobs to support the nine of us finally caught up to him. On the evening of my parents’ 25th anniversary, surrounded by all his family, the biggest, loudest, strongest of us all showed the first crack in the armor we as children thought would always be impenetrable.

Over the next eight years, my father battled back and forth, suffering another three heart attacks until he ended up with a pacemaker.

One afternoon my dad’s old blue Plymouth wagon broke down, and he called me for a ride to take him to the doctor for his annual checkup. As I pulled into the station, I saw my dad outside with all the other firemen crowded around a brand-new pickup truck. It was a deep blue Ford pickup, and it was a beauty. I mentioned to my dad how nice it was, and he commented that someday he would down a truck like that.

We both laughed. This was always his dream – and it always seemed so unattainable.

At this point in my personal life, I was doing quite well in business, as were all my brothers. We offered to buy him a truck, but as he so aptly put it, “If I don’t buy it, I won’t feel like it’s mine.”

As my dad stepped out of the doctor’s office I figured the gray pasty look on his face was from being poked, prodded and pricked with needles.

“Let’s go,” was all he said.

As we got into the car, I knew something was wrong. We drove off in silence and I knew Dad would tell me what was wrong in his own way.

I took the long way back to the station. As we drove by our old house, the ball field, lake and corner store, my dad started talking about the past and the memories each place held.

That’s when I knew he was dying.

He looked at me and nodded.

I understood.

We stopped at Cabot’s Ice Cream and had an ice cream together for the first time alone in 15 years. We talked, really talked that day. He told me how proud he was of all of us and that he wasn’t afraid of dying. His fear was that he was going to be away from my mother.

I chuckled at him; never had a man been more in love with a woman than my dad.

He made me promise that day that I would never tell anyone of his impending death. As I agreed to his wishes, I knew that it was one of the toughest secrets I would ever have to keep.

At the time, my wife and I were looking for a new car or truck. My father knew the salesman at Cochituate Motors in Wayland, so I asked him if he would go with me to see what I could get for a trade-in toward a new car or truck.

As we entered the showroom, and I started talking with the salesman, I spotted Dad looking at the most beautiful, fully loaded chocolate-brown metal flake pickup truck he or I had ever seen. I saw my dad run his hand over the truck like a sculptor checking his work.

“Dad, I think I should buy a truck. I want to look at something small that is good on gas mileage.”

As the salesman left the showroom to get the dealer plate, I suggested that we take the brown truck out for a ride.

“You can’t afford this,” he said.

“I know that, and you know that, but the salesman doesn’t,” I said.

As we pulled out onto Route 27, with my father behind the wheel, we both laughed like a couple of kids at the fast one we had pulled off. He drove for 10 minutes, commenting about how beautifully it rode while I played with all the bells and whistles.

When we returned to the showroom, we took out a small blue Sundowner truck. My dad commented that this was a better truck for commuting because of gas and all the miles I would be driving. I agreed with him and we returned and finalized the deal with the salesman.

I called my dad a few nights later and asked him if he would come with me to pick up the truck. I think he agreed so quickly just to get one final look at “his brown truck,” as he called it.

When we pulled into the dealer’s yard, there was my little blue Sundowner with a sold sticker on it. Next to it was the brown pickup, all washed and shiny, with a big SOLD sign on the window.

I glanced over at my father and saw the disappointment register on his face as he said, “Someone bought himself a beautiful truck.”

I just nodded and said, “Dad, would you go inside and tell the salesman I’ll be right in as soon as I park the car?” As my father walked past the brown truck, he ran his hand along it and I could see the look of disappointment pass over him again.

I pulled my car around to the far side of the building and looked out the window at the man who had given up everything for his family. I watched as the salesman sat him down, handed him a set of keys to his truck – the brown one – and explained that it was for him from me and this was our secret. 

My dad looked out the window, our eyes met, and we both nodded and laughed at each other.

I was waiting outside my house when my dad pulled up that night. As he stepped out of his truck, I gave him a big hug and a kiss and told him how much I loved him, and reminded him this was our secret.

We went for a drive that evening. Dad said he understood the truck, but what was the significance of the Coca-Cola bottle cap with the star in the center taped to the steering wheel?

ALLAH MALIK!

Dipika Duggal

Offline Dipika

• Blessings 9
    « Reply #12 on: May 25, 2008, 03:27:15 AM »
  • Publish
  • A Story of Hope

Two men, both seriously ill, occupied the same hospital room. One man was allowed to sit up in his bed for an hour each afternoon to help drain the fluid from his lungs. His bed was next to the room's only window. The other man had to spend all his time flat on his back.

The men talked for hours on end. They spoke of their wives and families, their homes, their jobs, their involvement in the military service, where they had been on vacation. And every afternoon when the man in the bed by the window could sit up, he would pass the time by describing to his roommate all the things he could see outside the window.

The man in the other bed began to live for those one-hour periods where his world would be broadened and enlivened by all the activity and color of the world outside.

The window overlooked a park with a lovely lake. Ducks and swans played on the water while children sailed their model boats. Young lovers walked arm in arm amidst flowers of every color of the rainbow. Grand old trees graced the landscape, and a fine view of the city skyline could be seen in the distance.

As the man by the window described all this in exquisite detail, the man on the other side of the room would close his eyes and imagine the picturesque scene. One warm afternoon the man by the window described a parade passing by. Although the other man couldn't hear the band - he could see it in his mind's eye as the gentleman by the window portrayed it with descriptive words. Days and weeks passed.

One morning, the day nurse arrived to bring water for their baths only to find the lifeless body of the man by the window, who had died peacefully in his sleep. She was saddened and called the hospital attendants to take the body away.

As soon as it seemed appropriate, the other man asked if he could be moved next to the window. The nurse was happy to make the switch, and after making sure he was comfortable, she left him alone. Slowly, painfully, he propped himself up on one elbow to take his first look at the world outside. Finally, he would have the joy of seeing it for himself.

He strained to slowly turn to look out the window beside the bed. It faced a blank wall. The man asked the nurse what could have compelled his deceased roommate who had described such wonderful things outside this window.

The nurse responded that the man was blind and could not even see the wall. She said, "Perhaps he just wanted to encourage you."

Epilogue. . . .There is tremendous happiness in making others happy, despite our own situations. Shared grief is half the sorrow, but happiness when shared, is doubled. If you want to feel rich, just count all of the things you have that money can't buy. "Today is a gift, that's why it is called the present." 

ALLAH MALIK!

« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 04:49:43 AM by diPika »

Dipika Duggal

Offline Dipika

• Blessings 9
    « Reply #13 on: May 25, 2008, 03:36:03 AM »
  • Publish
  • Red Roses

Red roses were her favorites, her name was also Rose. 
    And every year her husband sent them, tied with pretty bows. 
    The year he died, the roses were delivered to her door. 
    The card said, "Be my Valentine", like all the years before.

Each year he sent her roses, and the note would always say, 
    "I love you even more this year, than last year on this day. 
    My love for you will always grow, with every passing year." 
    She knew this was the last time that the roses would appear. 

She thought, he ordered roses in advance before this day. 
    Her loving husband did not know, that he would pass away. 
    He always liked to do things early, way before the time. 
    Then, if he got too busy, everything would work out fine. 

She trimmed the stems, and placed them in a very special vase. 
    Then, sat the vase beside the portrait of his smiling face. 
    She would sit for hours, in her husband's favorite chair. 
    While staring at his picture, and the roses sitting there. 

A year went by, and it was hard to live without her mate. 
    With loneliness and solitude, that had become her fate.
    Then, the very hour, as on Valentines before, 
    The doorbell rang, and there were roses, sitting by her door. 

She brought the roses in, and then just looked at them in shock. 
    Then, went to get the telephone, to call the florist shop. 
    The owner answered, and she asked him, if he would explain, 
    Why would someone do this to her, causing her such pain? 

"I know your husband passed away, more than a year ago," 
    The owner said, "I knew you'd call, and you would want to know.
    The flowers you received today, were paid for in advance. 
    Your husband always planned ahead, he left nothing to chance. 

There is a standing order, that I have on file down here, 
    And he has paid, well in advance, you'll get them every year. 
    There also is another thing, that I think you should know, 
    He wrote a special little card...he did this years ago. 

Then, should ever I find out that he's no longer here, 
    That's the card...that should be sent, to you the following year."
    She thanked him and hung up the phone, her tears now flowing hard. 
    Her fingers shaking, as she slowly reached to get the card. 

Inside the card, she saw that he had written her a note. 
    Then, as she stared in total silence, this is what he wrote...
    "Hello my love, I know it's been a year since I've been gone, 
    I hope it hasn't been too hard for you to overcome. 

I know it must be lonely, and the pain is very real. 
    For if it was the other way, I know how I would feel. 
    The love we shared made everything so beautiful in life. 
    I loved you more than words can say, you were the perfect wife. 

You were my friend and lover, you fulfilled my every need. 
    I know it's only been a year, but please try not to grieve. 
    I want you to be happy, even when you shed your tears. 
    That is why the roses will be sent to you for years. 

When you get these roses, think of all the happiness, 
    That we had together, and how both of us were blessed. 
    I have always loved you and I know I always will. 
    But, my love, you must go on, you have some living still. 

Please...try to find happiness, while living out your days. 
    I know it is not easy, but I hope you find some ways.
    The roses will come every year, and they will only stop, 
    When your door's not answered, when the florist stops to knock. 

He will come five times that day, in case you have gone out. 
    But after his last visit, he will know without a doubt, 
    To take the roses to the place, where I've instructed him, 
    And place the roses where we are, together once again. 

ALLAH MALIK!

Dipika Duggal

Offline Dipika

• Blessings 9
    « Reply #14 on: May 25, 2008, 04:39:06 AM »
  • Publish
  • Bonny's Bunny 

A friend of mine was sitting in the living room one day when his cat dragged in a little "gift" in its mouth - a dead animal of some sort. Taking a closer look, he was dismayed to recognize the dead animal to be a bunny that belonged to a little girl who lived next door. Her name was Bonny. My friend felt terrible, believing his cat had killed Bonny's bunny. 

My quick-thinking friend came up with a plan. Removing from the cat's mouth the dead animal, which by now was a dirty mess, he put it in the kitchen sink. With a little warm water and some shampoo, he tried to clean up the dead bunny as best he could. Then he took a hair dryer (a "hare dryer" actually) and blow-dried the bunny until it looked pretty good. 

Finally, he took the dead bunny out to the neighbor's rabbit hutch and placed it back in the cage. He kind of fluffed him up so that he looked very natural there in his little box. 

The next morning, my friend looked out the window and noticed a crowd of people gathered around the rabbit hutch. Everyone seemed to be talking and pointing. My friend decided to go over and act like any normal curious neighbor and find out what was going on. 

When he got there, Bonny's mother said to my friend, "You won't believe what has happened! It's a miracle! Bonny's bunny passed away a few days ago, and we buried that little bunny right over there..." 

Application: 
    Have you ever tried to cover up one sin with another? Covering up only makes matters worse. When we get caught doing something wrong, for example, we may attempt to cover it up with a lie. But just like Bonny's  bunny, the result is never what we expected. We end up looking foolish. We would have been better off admitting we were wrong and accepting the consequences

ALLAH MALIK!

« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 04:48:58 AM by diPika »

Dipika Duggal

Facebook Comments