Join Sai Baba Announcement List

DOWNLOAD SAMARPAN - Nov 2018

Author Topic: Shri G. S. Khaparde Diary  (Read 74433 times)

Offline saisewika

• Blessings 33
Re: Shri G. S. Khaparde Diary
« Reply #120 on: September 14, 2012, 02:32:20 PM »
  • Publish
  • OM SAI RAM

July 4, 1913, Friday

Amravati

In the morning I got up as usual prayed and wrote a few letters.  Godbole came.  After food I went to court with Godbole and appeared before Mr Morris.  There was only one appeal that I had and it was soon finished as it was purely on evidence.   Deshpande appeared on the other side.  After it I signed a few papers and returned home & sat reading.  The Guruashta of Shiralal Motilal of Hyderabad came to see me and sat talking.  He is fond of Vedanta.  While he was sitting Asnaré came and read out to me the story of King Avikshet. He wishes to dramatize it for being acted at the ensuing Ganpati Festival at Elichpur. It is a beautiful story and will be very interesting. We sat talking about it. Durrani came but went away very soon. The managing committee has revised the rules of the Berar Education Society. They would have to be submitted to and passed by the general body. I had my constitutional with Mirza Yad ali Beg. Appasaheb Watave came later on & I sat talking with him. It being Friday there was no class today.

Trimbak Rao who used to serve Sayin Maharaj when I was at Shirdi came today in the after noon. He says he is going to Jagannath, & has completely changed his usual dress. He puts on now the kind of long shirt that Sayin Maharaj does and eats with it on.

JAI SAI RAM

Offline saisewika

• Blessings 33
    « Reply #121 on: September 14, 2012, 02:37:19 PM »
  • Publish
  • OM SAI RAM

July 14, 1914, Tuesday

Nagpur –Amravati

We reached Nagpur about 7 A.m.  L.C.Bupat was in the train joined it at Wardha.  He, I & Dorle drove in Bootees carriage.  He got down near Bootees Mahal & I with Gopal Rao Dorle proceeded to the Wada.  I sat looking into today ’s second appeal. The clients came & paid.  After food I & Dorle went to court &our case was soon called. Sir B.K.Bhose was engaged on our side. Dillon, Joshi and Abhyankar appeared on the other side.  Sir B addressed the court and argued the case very ably. Mr Dillon replied & Joshi also added, as he said, a few words but they got lengthened into a speech.  All this took the whole and it was nearly 5 P.M. when we finished.

We drove to Bootee ’s Wada. L.C.Bapat again went away somewhere near the Rajaram Library. Mr Abhyaonkar came to see me & we sat talking for a long time.  It came on to rain also.  Dr.Moonja came later & sat talking about election matters. Savat Ram Rampratip ’s agent came to see us & we sat talking.  Ganpat Rao Narké is here.  So are all the children.  Gopal Rao Bootee is at Shirdi.  I had a long talk with Ganpat Rao Narké about Sayin Maharaj of Shirdi.  He is a great living saint. I & Dorle drove to the Railway station at 9 P.M. & got into the 9.50 P.M. We reached here about daybreak. At Badera I met Bedorkar Kanga & others going to Nagpur.

JAI SAI RAM

Offline saisewika

• Blessings 33
    « Reply #122 on: September 17, 2012, 03:46:06 PM »
  • Publish
  • OM SAI RAM

December 29, 1915, Wednesday

Shirdi

I was awakened about 3.30 A.m. at Manmad and put into the train for Kopargaon.  I prayed in the train & on getting down at Kopergaon before day break,  met Dr Deshpande who is in charge at the Dispensary at Kopergaon.  I did not know him before.  I gave him & his son a lift up to his Dispensary and he gave me a hot cup of tea & something to eat. There was a great mist & I drove in it to Kopargaon reaching it about 9 A.m.  My wife and children were there.

I went to the Masjid with Madhavarao Deshpande and made my Namaskar to Sayin Maharaj.  His health is very poor. He is much bothered by cough.  I got the Morchal at Puja.  The day here passes very easy.  G.M.Bootee alias Bapusaheb is here with his master & Gurashta.  Kakasaheb Dixit, Bapusaheb Jog,  Balasaheb Bhate & all old friends are here, & I am exceedingly happy.

JAI SAI RAM

Offline saisewika

• Blessings 33
    « Reply #123 on: September 17, 2012, 03:49:21 PM »
  • Publish
  • OM SAI RAM

December 30, 1915, Thursday

Shirdi

I got up as usual in the morning, prayed and sat talking with one Karnik who turned out to be related to the late Amrit Rao Abaji.  I sat talking with Fakir Baba who has advanced wonderfully and appears to be on the point of being permanently admitted to the spiritual hierarchy.  I sat talking with him. Sayin Maharaj is getting slightly better. I did the Naivedya and Puja today.  There were about a hundred people invited to breakfast which was very late.  In fact we finished about 4 P.M.  MadhavaRao Deshpande was as usual very useful. 

Bapu Saheb Bootee ’s Wada is progressing beautifully.  It is a stone building & very strong & very convenient for occupation.  There was Chavadhi today & I attended it with Morchal.  Ayisaheb is also unwell.  Mr P.Haté went today to Kalyana as his son in law is said to be unwell.  Sayin Baba gave him a full coconut.  So I think the young man will recover.

JAI SAI RAM

Offline saisewika

• Blessings 33
    « Reply #124 on: September 17, 2012, 03:53:06 PM »
  • Publish
  • OM SAI RAM

December 31, 1915, Friday

Shirdi –Bhusaval

I wished to go to Masjid for Kakad Arti but felt disinclined at the last moment &did not go.  After morning prayer when I was going to the Masjid Rao Bahadur Sathé got hold of me & took me to his Madi.  There some eight gentlemen assembled & told me that the arrangements they wished to make for the Samsthana of Sayin Baba.  They have a good scheme &  I made the suggestion that they should make no endeavour to collect monies from those whom Sayin Baba gave them.  They approved of my advise.  All this took time & we were late for Arti, but we went in time and I had the chavar or rather mayur piccha. 

After food I went with Madhava Rao Deshpande and got permission without any difficulty for returning.  My wife, Manu Tai, Uma & children will remain behind.  In the compound of the Masjid I met Wassudeorao Dada Piriplekar of Malkapur & Mr Bhagavat Executive Enquirer of Kopargaon.  I made ready and left by Balabhau ’s Tonga, reached Kopargaon had a talk with the station master.  His assistant was at one time at Amravati.  I got into 6.30 P.M. train reached Manmad & got into the passenger that leaves at 8.30 P.M.  I had a compartment all the way to myself and reached Bhusaval about 4 a.m. & put up in the waiting room.

JAI SAI RAM

Offline saisewika

• Blessings 33
    « Reply #125 on: September 19, 2012, 04:08:20 PM »
  • Publish
  • OM SAI RAM

LOKMANYA TILAK’S VISIT TO SHIRDI FROM SANGAMNER 19-5-17

Shirdi-

I got up early in the morning, but so many people gathered that I could not pray.  There was a movement to keep us here and not let us go till after noon and Kelkar appeared to throw his weight on the side of the movement, but most unaccountably I felt angry and insisted upon starting.  So after a Pansupari in the house of Mr. Sant, a leading pleader of Sangamner, we started about 8-30 a.m. 

We reached Shirdi, about 10 a.m., after a puncture of the way.  We put up in Dixit’s Wada.  Bapu Sahib Bootee, Narayan Rao Pandit, and the establishment of Bootee were there.  My old friends Madhawrao Deshpande, Balasahib Bhate, Bapusahib Jog, and others gathered.  We went to Musjid and paid our respects to Sayin Maharaj.  I never saw him so much pleased before. 

He asked for Daxina as usual and we all paid. Looking at Lokamanya he said, “People are bad, keep yourself to yourself.” I made my bow and he took some rupees from me. Kelkar and Paregonkar also paid. Madhavrao Deshpande asked permission for us to proceed to Yeola.  Sain Sahib said “Why do you want to go in the heat to die on the way? Have your food here and then go in the cool of the afternoon. Shama, feed these people”.  So we stayed, had our food with Madhavrao Deshpande, lay down for a few minutes and then again went to the Musjid and found Sayin Maharaj lying down as if sleeping. People gave Lokmanya a Pansupari in the Chawadi there and we returned to the Musjid again.  Sayin Maharaj was sitting up and gave us udi and permission to go, so we started by the motor.

JAI SAI RAM

Offline saisewika

• Blessings 33
    « Reply #126 on: September 21, 2012, 04:36:48 PM »
  • Publish
  • OM SAI RAM

APPENDIX 1 more about “SHIRDI DIARY” OF DADASAHEB KHAPARDE by V.B.Kher

Since August 1985, the “Shirdi Diary” of the Hon’ble Mr.Ganesh Shrikrishna Khaparde is being featured in the issues of Shri Sai Leela month after month.  The “extracts” of Shirdi Diary reproduced therein first appeared in Shri Sai Leela in 1924-25.  I deliberately refer to what was published as “extracts” for I am not sure that the whole of Shirdi Diary has yet seen the light of the day.  When the Shirdi Diary was first serialized in Shri Sai Leela, G.S.Khaparde the right hand man of the late Lokamanya Tilak had retired from the center of political activity to its periphery, with the rise on the political firmament of Mahatma Gandhi who had cast a spell on the Indian National Congress and the masses.  Sai Baba the Sadguru and spiritual mentor of Khaparde had also passed away and Khaparde was in semi-retirement.  He had ample time to look back on his life and think of his interests which he could not pursue in the midst of his hectic political life as an activist and a leader.  So it was with his permission and knowledge that the Shirdi Diary made its appearance in the issues of earlier years of Shirdi Sai Leela i.e. 1924-25.  The reader may rightly raise the question on what basis I make this assertion. And he would be justified in doing so. I have to answer this query and place material available at my disposal before the reader.

…(to be continued)

JAI SAI RAM

Offline saisewika

• Blessings 33
    « Reply #127 on: September 21, 2012, 04:42:14 PM »
  • Publish
  • OM SAI RAM

Fortunately for all of us Balkrishna alias Babasaheb Khaparde, the eldest son of G.S.Khaparde authored a biography of his father. The biography is written in Marathi and was first published in 1962*. In the preface, the author has stated candidly at the outset that the book is “not a biography but edited material gathered from Dadasaheb Khaparde’s diaries for the purpose of the biography”.

The hero of the biography was born on 27th August, 1854 on the day of Ganesh Chaturthi and was therefore named after the Lord of the Ganas. We shall now touch upon the early life of Ganesh only in passing. His father Shrikrishna Narhar alias Bapusaheb who had experienced poverty in his childhood had by his enterprise and dint of hard work risen to the position of a Tahasildar (Mamledar) in the Brithish Raj in the Province of C.P. & Berar. Ganesh had his primary and secondary education in Nagpur and Amraoti. He failed twice in Matriculation because he was more interested in study of subjects and books other than those prescribed in the curriculum. Besides, he was weak in mathematics. After matriculating in 1872, he joined the Elphinstone College in Bombay. He was a favourite student of Dr. Ramakrishna Bhandarkar who was the Professor of Sanskrit. Ganesh had studied Sanskrit extensively in a traditional manner under a shastri during his childhood at Akola and had, therefore, an excellent grounding in the subject. Moreover, he was a voracious reader of the Sanskrit literature, and before joining the Elphinstone College had already poured over Bana’s Kadambari and Bhavabhuti’s Uttararama Charita. So found the Sanskrit taught in the College a child’s play. He also enjoyed reading English literature. Professor Wordsworth who taught him English was the grandson of Willliam Wordsworth, the famous nature-poet of the English language. Under these two professors he acquired a sound knowledge of these two languages. In fact his knowledge of Sanskrit was so good that he was selected unanimously to debate in Sanskrit with Swami Dayanand Saraswati, the founder of Arya Samaj, when the latter visited the Elphinstone College. No wonder that Ganesh was complimented by the Swami himself on his high standard of performance.

… (to be continued)

JAI SAI RAM

Offline saisewika

• Blessings 33
    « Reply #128 on: September 24, 2012, 12:52:33 PM »
  • Publish
  • OM SAI RAM

Dadasaheb as Ganesh came to be known in his later life became first a junior fellow and then a senior fellow in the Elphinstone College and in these capacities assisted in teaching Sanskrit and English. It may be stated here that Dadasaheb was a born linguist for he was at home in other languages like Gujarathi and was an orator of no mean order in all these languages. Following graduation, Dadasaheb majored in law in 1884 and soon commenced his legal practice. After an early stint commenced as a munsiff between 1885 and 1889, he returned to the bar and soon eastablished a name as a leading lawyer. From 1890, he started participating in public life and became the President of the District Council in 1890.

By 1897, when the annual session of the Indian National Congress was held in Amraoti, he had become a prominent figure in the national life and was elected as the Chairman of the Reception Committee. We will now go back a little in time and see how and when Dadasaheb started maintaining his diary of daily events and how many such diaries of his are available.

(to be continued)..........

JAI SAI RAM

Offline saisewika

• Blessings 33
    « Reply #129 on: September 24, 2012, 12:54:55 PM »
  • Publish
  • OM SAI RAM

A pocket diary of 1879 of Dadasaheb has been found. Though there are some important entries in it, many of its pages are blank and there are only stray sentences on some pages. However from the year 1894 upto 1938 fortyfive diaries maintained by Dadasaheb Khaparde in his own hand are available. Thus in all forty-six diaries are extant which are lodged in the National Archives. It appears that no diary prior to 1879 or between 1880 to 1893 was kept by him. Of the diaries of 1894 to 1938, excepting the one of 1938 which is a “National Diary” of Indian make, four are “Collins Diaries” and the remaining “Lates Diaries” made abroad. During the first world war “Lates diaries” were not to be had and so those of another make were pressed into service. Each diary is 12.5″ long and 8″ broad with one page for each day and weighs 4 lbs. and 26 tolas.

Dadasaheb carried his diary with him in travel. It was his regular habit to record entries pertaining to the day in the diary before retiring to sleep at night and he observed this rule meticulously. There are many entries which show that he wrote the record of the day at midnight, or even after midnight at 1 a.m or 2 a.m. in the waiting room of railway stations before going to bed. As he found it inconvenient in later years to record the day’s events before lying down to rest at night, he began to record the previous day’s events the next morning. So references to his dreams , visions and sound sleep are found in these diaries. Whether the event was trivial or important, an entry about it is to be found in his daily record. The names of his visitors, the gist of their conversation and dialogues with important entries, in question and answer with form, in details, are faithfully entered in bold, neat and legible hand writing without any erasing or overwriting page after page. Even when he was indisposed, he did not fail to write his diary. Only on the day of his demise i.e 1st July 1938 and the day before he did not make any entries, the last entry being of 29th June, 1938.

Dadasaheb Khaparde visited Shirdi in all five times during Sai Baba’s life time. The chronological dates of his visit to Shirdi and the period of his stay there are as given below:

…(to be continued)

JAI SAI RAM

Offline saisewika

• Blessings 33
    « Reply #130 on: September 25, 2012, 09:40:18 AM »
  • Publish
  • OM SAI RAM

First Visit – From 5th December, 1910 to 12th December 1910.

Second Visit – From 6th December, 1911to 15th March, 1912.

Third Visit – From 29th December, 1915 to 31st December, 1915.

Fourth Visit – On 19th May, 1917 in the company of Lokamanya Tilak.

Fifth Visit – A short cisit of unspecified number of days in March, 1918.

Let us now consider each visit separately and see what information is available in the biography of Dadasaheb Khaparde in addition to what is already published so far in earlier volumes of Shri Sai Leela in 1924-25.

First visit in December, 1910

Dadasaheb Khaparde arrived in Bombay from Pune and with his eldest son Balakrishna went to Shirdi on 5th December. He stayed there for seven days and on getting permission from Sai Baba to depart on 12th December, arrived in Akola on 13th December. Normally, he travelled by the first class in days when there were three to four classes of railway travel. However, on this occasion as he did not have sufficient money on his person, he travelled by the second class and reached Amraoti on 19th December via Akot. It is recorded that he walked down from Amraoti railway station to his residence! That a person of Dadasaheb’s standing should even have no money to hire a vehicle to go to his residence may cause great surprise. Dadasaheb’s annual income by way of legal practice at one time was of the order of rupees 90,000 to 95,000 when there was no income-tax legislation and living was cheap. Yet the state of affairs described above was inevitable in the circumstances as Dadasaheb lived beyond his means.

At one time, he had seven horses including two Australian-bred; two carriages, one state and the other ordinary, with staff to look after them. He was generous to a fault and gave shelter to a number of families. He kept an open house and his house was always full of guests on whom he spent lavishly for their comfort and entertainment including nautch parties! Now the reader can appreciate why he had to foot the distance from the railway station to his residence. The account of this visit as reported in Shri Sai Leela appears to be complete on comparison with the narration in the biography.

…(to be continued)

JAI SAI RAM

Offline saisewika

• Blessings 33
    « Reply #131 on: September 25, 2012, 09:44:07 AM »
  • Publish
  • OM SAI RAM

Second visit in December, 1911

The second visit of Dadasaheb Khaparde to Shirdi was the longest, his stay extending to hundred days. This is significant and needs examination in some details for inspite of the desire of Dadasaheb and his wife to return to Amraoti time and again, Sai Baba detained them in Shirdi and would not let them go. And since Dadasaheb had implicit faith in his Sadguru, Dadasaheb dutifully obeyed the orders of Sai Baba believing and knowing full well that Baba’s decision was in his interest.

Now what could have been the reason for Sai baba keeping Dadasaheb for such a long time in Shirdi? The readers are aware that Dadasaheb Khaparde was a prominent aide and supporter of Lokamanya Tilak. Tilak had been arrested on 24th June, 1908 and tried on the charge of sedition. His trial began on 13th July, 1908, and he was convicted and sentenced to six years’ imprisonment on 22nd July, 1908. Within a few days thereafter, i.e on 15th August 1908, Dadasaheb sailed for England to prefer an appeal to the Privy Council against the judgment of the Bombay High Court convicting Lokamanya. He reached Dover on 31st August, 1908 and immediately proceeded to London. As planned he filed a petition in the Privy Council but the Privy Council refused leave to appeal against the Bombay High Court’s judgment. The next move of Khaparde to appeal to the House of Lords failed for lack of support. A memorial sent to Lord Morley, the Secretary of State for India also proved futile, Khaparde sailed for India via Rangoon on 15th September 1910 after a stay of over two years in England. He had left no stone unturned to get the judgment against Tilak reversed. He had gone at his own expense to England to campaign for leader’s release. His Herculean labour in England brings out not only his qualities of loyalty and devotion to his leader but also selflessness and the price he was prepared to pay in terms of energy, time and expense for a cause he believed to be just. Dadasaheb’s mother passed away on 27th September, 1910 while he was on the high seas. Khaparde reached Rangoon on 16.10.1910 and met Tilak in Mandalay Jail on 22.10.1910. Having reached Calcutta on 27.10.1910, he returned home on 5.1.1910 after an absence of two years, two months and twenty two days.

…(to be continued)

JAI SAI RAM

Offline saisewika

• Blessings 33
    « Reply #132 on: September 27, 2012, 11:21:28 AM »
  • Publish
  • OM SAI RAM

We have already seen that Dadasaheb paid his first visit to Shirdi within a month of his return from England. That visit lasted only for a week. However, the political situation had deteriorated within months thereof and the Government was accelerating its policy of repression to supress the national movement. An indication of this was the arrest on 7th October, 1911 of Bipin Chandra Pal as soon as the steamer by which he was travelling from England to Bombay, touched Bombay, and his prosecution for sedition.

Since Khaparde had been agitating for the release of Lokmanya, he was on the black list of the Government and his arrest was imminent. In fact, Khaparde’s eldest son had been to Simla at this time to gather, if possible, first hand information about the Government’s intention.

All this must have been seen by Sai Baba with his clairovoyant vision for nothing in this world was either unkown to him or escaped his attention.  That in fact Sai Baba hinted in his symbolical language about this is clear from the following excerpt dated 29th December, 1911 from the Shirdi Diary:  ”He (Sayin Baba) sent me a word this afternoon that I have to stay another two months.  He confirmed this message in the afternoon and said that his ‘Udi’ had great spiritual properties.  He told my wife that Government came with a lance, that Sayin Baba had a trishul with him and drove him out and that he finally conciliated the Governor. The language is highly figurative and thereafter difficult to interpret.”

…(to be continued)

JAI SAI RAM

Offline saisewika

• Blessings 33
    « Reply #133 on: September 27, 2012, 11:26:08 AM »
  • Publish
  • OM SAI RAM

Babasaheb Khaparde, in the biography of his father interpretes “Udi” as the grace of Sai Baba, “Lance” of the “Governor” as “arrest warrants” and “trishul” as Baba’s divine power.

There is also a reference in the entry of 29.12.1911 of Shirdi diary to “Mr. Natekar”, also called “Hamsa” and also “Swami”.  Hamsa was slight and fair and had sharp features, a sweet voice and a gift of the gab as well.  He had ingratiated himself into the favour of Khapardes by impressing them with his professed holiness and tales of his travels and wandering in the Himalayas and Manas Sarovar.  While Dadasaheb was away in England, he enjoyed the hospitality of Khaparde family for a month.  Some time in 1913,  it was discovered that nine diaries of Dadasaheb were found stolen from a wooden box which was locked but they were later returned by the Government as they did not find any incriminating material therein.

Long after this incidient Khapardes learnt that “Hamsa” was a CID detective planted by the Government in their household who had followed Dadasaheb to Shirdi to gather information about his activities there. In his entry of 14th June, 1913 Dadasaheb records, “Hamsa” appears to have taken in many on the pretext of being a sadhu”. It is not without significance that the above quoted remarks about “Udi” and repelling the Governor with “trishul” appear in the entry of 29.12.1911 while “Hamsa” was in Shirdi. No wonder Sai Baba must have known about the machinations of Hamsa and used his powers to ward off any danger to his faithful devotee.

( to be  continued)......

JAI SAI RAM

Offline saisewika

• Blessings 33
    « Reply #134 on: September 28, 2012, 04:50:28 PM »
  • Publish
  • OM SAI RAM

The diary of this period had been published in Shri Sai leela in 1924-25. However the published extracts are incomplete in some respects and suffer from some omissions altogether. Let us see what these deficiencies are.

Entry of 8th December, 1911:The following lines are missing from the entry of this date.

“Madhavrao Deshpande was here and fell asleep. I saw with my own eyes and heard with my own ears what I only read about but never experienced. With every outgoing and indrawing breath of Madhavrao Deshpande comes the clear sound of ‘Sayin Nath Maharaj, Sayin Nath Baba’. This sound is as clear as can be and when Madhavrao snores the words can be heard at a distance. This is really wonderful.”

Entries of 12th to 15th March,1912:-

The following sentences are missing from the entries of 12th and 13th March, 1912 and have been rendered into English from the biography in Mararhi.

12th March-

“We finished reading Panchadashi in the class to-day. So we celebrated the occasion with two pomegranates.

“Baba Palekar* came from Amraoti and said that my family members there are in bad straits.”

13th March-

“Baba Palekar has obtained permission from Sayin Baba to take me away either to-morrow or the dayafter.”

Entries of 14th and 15th March, 1912 are totally omitted from the Diary published in Shri Sai Leela. The entries reproduced below are taken from the biography in Marathi and rendered into English.

(to be continued).....

JAI SAI RAM

Facebook Comments