Join Sai Baba Announcement List

DOWNLOAD SAMARPAN - Nov 2018

Author Topic: Shri G. S. Khaparde Diary  (Read 74895 times)

Offline saisewika

• Blessings 33
Re: Shri G. S. Khaparde Diary
« Reply #135 on: September 28, 2012, 04:53:31 PM »
  • Publish
  • OM SAI RAM

14th March-

“Baba Palekar went before me and obtained permission to take me.”

15th March-

“I, Baba Palekar and Dikshit went to the Musjid. Dikshit broached the topic of my returning to Amraoti and after Sayin Baba gave permission I returned and asked my wife to do my packing. She will however stay back along with Bhishma and Bandu. After lunch I and Palekar went to see Sayin Baba. We met him near the village gate and on his orders went back, brought some “Udi” and accepted it from his hands. He asked us to leave immediately and blessed us with the words “God will bless you.” We left by 7 p.m. train and reached Manmad. The passenger was standing on the adjoining platform. We got into it. I sent Palekar for buying our tickets. In the mean time the train started and Palekar missed the train. The traffic Inspector was in my compartment. I explained to him the whole situation. He suggested that I should go to Bhusaval and wait for Palekar there. I did accordingly. Now I am here (on Bhusaval station) waiting for Palekar; I have neither a ticket not any money”.

Palekar joined Khaparde at Bhusaval and both travelled by the train bound for Nagpur. Khaparde reached Amraoti on 16th March. He had left his heart behind in Shirdi as can be seen in his entry of 18th March, 1912 taken from the biography in marathi and rendered into English.

“The spiritual atmosphere of Shirdi is lacking here. And I feel the loss greatly. I desired to rise early as I used to do in Shirdi but could not do so. And I had to strain myself for reciting the morning Stotras."

(to be continued)...

JAI SAI RAM

Offline saisewika

• Blessings 33
    « Reply #136 on: October 01, 2012, 10:24:08 AM »
  • Publish
  • OM SAI RAM

Third visit in December 1915: Dadasaheb Khaparde went to Thane to meet his friend Baba Gupte and from there reached Shirdi via Manmad on 29th December. Mrs. Khaparde and other members of his family had also arrived directly in Shirdi. Dadasaheb obtained permission on 31.12.1915 to return to Amraoti. So he left but Mrs. Khaparde and others remained behind. Khaparde was very happy to have visited Shirdi as will be seen from some excerpts reproduced in the biography in Marathi which are rendered here into English.

Entry of 29th December:

“I went to Shirdi from Kopargaon by tonga and reached there at 9 a.m. There were many dangers on the way. My wife and the children were already in Shirdi. I went to the Musjid and saluted Sayin Baba. His health has greatly deteriorated. I held the Morchel during the puja. The day passes off here easily. Gopalrao alias Bapusaheb Buti is here. Kakasaheb Dixit, Balasaheb Bhate and all other old friends too are here. I am extremely happy.”

(to be continued)....

JAI SAI RAM

Offline saisewika

• Blessings 33
    « Reply #137 on: October 01, 2012, 10:27:13 AM »
  • Publish
  • OM SAI RAM

Entry of 30 December:

“Today I performed puja and offered Naivedya. About 100 persons were present for the prasad. The meal was excellent and was somewhat late around 4 p.m. The construction work of Buti’s wada is progressing well. There was chavadi procession to-day and I stood with the Morchel in my hand.”

Entry of 31st December

After meals I went with Madhavrao Deshpande and obtained permission to depart without any difficulty. My wife, Manutai, Uma and the Children will be staying back.

Fourth visit on 19th May, 1917

This brief visit of half a day to Shirdi by Dadasaheb in the company of Lokamanya Tilak was designed with a view to taking Lokamanya to Sayin Baba and obtain his blessings, for his own leader. The account which appeared in Shri Sai Leela is nearly complete.

(to be continued)...

JAI SAI RAM

Offline saisewika

• Blessings 33
    « Reply #138 on: October 02, 2012, 11:46:01 AM »
  • Publish
  • OM SAI RAM

No dates of this unscheduled visit of Dadasaheb to Shirdi are indicated in the biography in Marathi.  However, this visit of an unspecified number of days was with a purpose.  Dadasaheb was to proceed to England with the Congress deputation for pressing the demand for Home Rule and has come to Delhi in this connection.  Before leaving Delhi, he called on Sir Sankaran Nair, who had presided over the annual session of the Congress held at Amraoti in 1897 when Dadasaheb Khaparde was the Chairman of the Reception commitee.  On or about 1918 Sir Sankaran Nair had joined the Executive Council of the Viceroy of India and he had some doubts about the prudence of the step he had taken. So he requested Khaparde to seek the opinion and guidance of Sayin Maharaj about his own action as will be seen from the following undated excerpt given in the biography.

“Saw Shankaran Nair. He was very glad to see me and sat talking for a long time.  He asked me to put the following questions to Sayin Maharaj of Shirdi on his behalf.  Whether it would be well for him to continue in service. Whether he is going spiritually wrong. If so, would Sayin Maharaj put him right. I promised to put the questions and write to him what Sayin Maharaj says.”

(to be continued)......

JAI SAI RAM

Offline saisewika

• Blessings 33
    « Reply #139 on: October 02, 2012, 11:50:49 AM »
  • Publish
  • OM SAI RAM

The biographer of Dadasaheb Khaparde adds that Dadasaheb returned to Amraoti, via Shirdi after Sayin Baba’s darshan and blessings.  The biographer further comments that there is no mention in the diary of what transpired in the talk with Sayin Baba about Sir Sankaran Nair’s** queries.  Posibly it was decided to maintain secrecy about this and Dadasaheb must have hnoured the commitment.  This is an example of deliberate omission of secrets from the diary.  Now that the original diaries of Dadasaheb Khaparde are with the National Archives, any further research into these diaries must await a search and inspection of these diaries.

** Mr. K.P.S. Menon, I.C.S. the son-in-law of Sir Sankaran Nair in the biography of his father-in-law published by Publications Division of Government of India in November 1967 states that Sir Sankaran was appointed Member of the Viceroy’s Executive Council in the middle of 1915 (p.55) but resigned in protest against the massacre of Jallianwala Baug in 1919 (pp. 104-105). Sir Sankaran was a confirmed believer in Yoga (p.133) and his mind turned more and more to religion (p.137).He passed away on 24-4-1934 after a car accident in which he sustained a head injury (p.138

Offline saisewika

• Blessings 33
    « Reply #140 on: October 03, 2012, 04:21:51 PM »
  • Publish
  • OM SAI RAM

APPENDIX 2-

SHIRDI DIARY AND MRS.LAXMIBAI GANESH KHAPARDE

by V.B.Kher

Mrs. Laxmibai Ganesh Khaparde was a devotee favoured by Shri Baba and initiated by him. The story of her rinanubandha with Sai and her initiation at his hands is narrated in verses 139-69 of twenty-seventh canto of Shri Sai-Sat-Charita. Similarly in verses 100 to 110 of seventh canto the story of how Baba took upon himself the karmic suffering of her son’s infection of plague and relieved her of all anxiety is told. We shall first narrate the stories and then examine the references in the Shirdi Diary to these and other incidents not touched upon in Shri Sai-Sat-Charita. Then we shall trace an outline of her life story till her end which the reader will find very moving. Her end was not only peaceful but she was blessed with darshan by her Sadguru Saibaba. What higher joy can a devotee of Sai expect ? So now let us begin with her story of rinanubandha and initiation.

(to be continued)........

JAI SAI RAM

Offline saisewika

• Blessings 33
    « Reply #141 on: October 03, 2012, 04:25:36 PM »
  • Publish
  • OM SAI RAM

“Once Dadasaheb came to Shirdi with his family and was absorbed in the love of Baba.  Khaparde was no ordinary person.  He was very learned, yet before Baba he bowed in veneration.  Well versed in English education, he enjoyed a high reputation in the Supreme Legislative Council and the Council of State as a debater and moved the Legislature with his eloquence.  However, before Sai he assumed silence.  Baba had many devotees but no devotees except Khaparde, Gopalrao Buti and Laxman Krishna Nulkar remained silent before Baba. Others spoke to Baba, some engaged in controversies, spoke whatever came to their maind. But these three observed total restarint. Leave aside speaking, they always assented to what Baba said. Indescribable was their humility and their courtesy in listening. Khaparde who expounded on the subject matter of Vidyaranya’s Panchadashi with great mastery fell silent as soon as he came to the Musjid.  Whatever may be the splendour of speech, before pure and radiant Brahman incarnate Sai, it would just be eclipsed.  Khaparde stayed in Shirdi for four months and his wife for seven months and both of them became increasingly happy.

(to be continued).......

JAI SAI RAM

Offline saisewika

• Blessings 33
    « Reply #142 on: October 05, 2012, 04:45:14 PM »
  • Publish
  • OM SAI RAM

His wife had great faith in Sai and she herself would bring Naivedya in the Musjid.  She would not touch food until Baba accepted the Naivedya and partook of it.   Only thereafrer she would have her meal.   It so happened once that seeing her firm devotion Baba who loved His bhaktas dearly showed her the way. Various are the ways of gurus for imparting instruction, but Baba’s was quite distinct.  He showered grace so effortlessly that it would sink into the innermost recesses.

Once Mrs. Khaparde brought the Naivedya of a dishful of Shira-puri, rice, dal, payasam, sandge, papad and koshimbir.  As soon as her Naivedya came, Baba eagerly got up from his seat and rolled up his sleeves.  He took his seat at the usual place of meals, pulled the dish towards him and removed the covering with a view to commence eating.  Many were the naivedyas, and some more sumptuous than the present one, which used to be received from other devotees but they would remain untouched by Baba for a long time.  Then why was this lady’s favoured? This is the behaviour of a worldly person but how could such considerations even touch a saint’s mind? Therefore, Madhavrao Deshpande looked askance at Baba and wanted to know how He could make such distinctions. Madhavrao said, ‘You ignore all naivedyas, even hurl away naivedya in silver dishes but it is strange that as soon as this lady’s naivedya came you started eating. Why does her naivedya taste so sweet to you is the great puzzle for us. Oh Gurudeva! What is this mystery of your favouring some?’

(to be continued)........

JAI SAI RAM

Offline saisewika

• Blessings 33
    « Reply #143 on: October 05, 2012, 04:48:34 PM »
  • Publish
  • OM SAI RAM

Baba replied, “How shall I describe the excellence of this food?  In one of her previous births she was a very fat cow yielding much milk and belong to a merchant.  Thereafter I lost sight of her (for some time) and in birth which followed she was born to a gardener, then to a Kshatriya and thereafter became the wife of a merchant.  Later she was born to a Brahmin family and has been sighted after a long time.  Let me partake of the food served with love happily and give her satisfaction’.  So saying, he ate heartily, washed his hands and mouth, belched contentedly and resumed his seat. The lady then bowed to Sai and began his charan-seva. Taking this opportunity Baba talked to her of her welfare. Baba pressed her hands with which she was doing charan seva. Shama then observing the service of each other by God and His devotee, said humorously, “What a leela we witness, oh God! Seeing mutuality of faith we are filled with wonder.’Seeing her spirit of service Baba was pleased and whispered to her softly, ‘Say Rajaram, Rajaram.  Do this japa regularly and constantly and you will find self-fulfilment. Your mind will be calmed and you will derive immense benfit’. So power-packed were those words that they pierced the heart and in a moment imparted spiritual strength.  Thus merciful Shri Samarth Sainath, the protector of the humble, satisfied the desires of his devotees and ensured their welfare.”

(to be continued)...........

JAI SAI RAM

Offline saisewika

• Blessings 33
    « Reply #144 on: October 08, 2012, 01:44:47 PM »
  • Publish
  • OM SAI RAM

The reference in Shirdi Diary to the above incident is found in the entry dated 4-3-1912 and is briefly worded as follows: ” My wife was late in going to worship Sayin Saheb but he very kindly desisted from his meal and let her worship him.”

In his articles in the early issues of Shri Sai Leela Swami Sai-Sharananand referring to this incident observed as follows:  “Baba’s touch was experienced by devotees when He gave Udi or allowed them to touch His feet or press His legs.  Even here, he did not touch or allow every one to touch in the some way.  When He desired to instruct anyone, He allowed the devotee to touch according to his faith or feeling (bhawa) and some times even objected. When He wanted to instruct the wife of the Hon’ble Mr. G.S.Khaparde to do japa of the mantra, ‘Rajaram’ notwithstanding the rule prohibiting the entry of women into the Musjid in the afternoon,  He not only permitted her to come up but accepted and took the naivedya (offering) brought by her and stretched out his legs for her to press and simultaneously pressed her hands and whispered to her,  ‘go on repeating Rajaram, Rajaram’.  Swami Sai Sharanand’s comment on the above incident shows in what high esteem Baba held Mrs. Laxmibai Ganesh Khaparde.

(to be continued)......

JAI SAI RAM

Offline saisewika

• Blessings 33
    « Reply #145 on: October 08, 2012, 01:50:44 PM »
  • Publish
  • OM SAI RAM

Now let us turn to the account in canto seven of Shri Sai-Sat-Charita as to how Sai Baba relieved Laxmibai Khaparde’s anxiety on account of her son’s illness.

“How many wonderful leelas of Bababa shall I narate to the reader! Once there was an outbreak of plague and now listen asto what miracle happened.  Dadasaheb Khaparde’s lad was staying (in Shirdi) along with his mother and both were enjoying bliss in the company of Shri Sai.  The lad developed high fever and his mother became restless with anxiety.  She wanted to return to her hometown Amraoti and came to take Baba’s permission to leave.  During His evening stroll when Baba came near the Wada,  the lady held Baba’s feet and narrated her woe.  Women are known to be soft hearted.  The boy was struck down with plague and was shivering. Baba said to her softly. The sky is overcast.  The clouds will burst and pour down rain and the sky will be clear.  Why fear?’ So saying, he raised his kafni upto the waist, showed all the four buboes each of the size of an egg on his body and added,  “Look, I have to take upon myself your suffering.’  Seeing this divine and strange spectacle the people were dump-founded to witness how saints have to suffer sorrows for the sake of their devotees.  Their minds are softer than wax and outwardly like butter.  They love their devotees without any expectation and regard them as their kith and kin.”

(to be continued)......

JAI SAI RAM

Offline saisewika

• Blessings 33
    « Reply #146 on: October 09, 2012, 05:05:45 PM »
  • Publish
  • OM SAI RAM

Reference to this incident occurs in Shirdi Diary in entries dated 8-1-1912,  17-1-1912,  18-1-1912,  20-1-1912  ,6-2-1912  and 8-2-1912 which have been collected to-gether below:

8-1-1912 –

"During the mid-day service after the Arti, Sayin Maharaj exhibited sudden and great anger and abused violently. It appears as if plague is likely to reappear here and Sayin Maharaj is endeavouring to prevent its reappearance."

17-1-1912 –

"Balwant* also felt sad and said that he wished to leave Shirdi."

18-1-1912 –

P.S. "I forgot to mention that during the torrent of hard words that Sayin Baba poured out to-day he said that he had saved my son Balwant and then often repeated the phrase ‘Fakir wishes to kill Dadasaheb (meaning me) but I would not permit it."

20-1-1912 –

"Bhishma and my son are unwell….There was no Bhajan as Bhishma is indisposed and my son Balwant is slightly worse."

6-2-1912 –

"When my wife spoke about going, Sayin Maharaj said that I did not ask for the permission personally."

(to be continued).....

JAI SAI RAM

Offline saisewika

• Blessings 33
    « Reply #147 on: October 09, 2012, 05:08:41 PM »
  • Publish
  • OM SAI RAM

8-2-1912 –

"Balvant for the first time in these three weeks ventured out as far as the Musjid and put his head on the feet of Sayin Maharaj. He has improved so far.”

It appears from the entry dated 9-12-1911 in the Shirdi Diary that Sayin Baba called Mrs. Khaparde by the name of “Ajibai”. There is also a curious entry dated 1-2-1912 the meaning of which G.S.Khaparde clarified in the form of a foot note in or about 1924 at the time of the publication of the Shirdi Diary in Shri Sai Leela. The said entry and its subsequent clarification are as under:-

1-2-1912 –

"To-day evening when we assembled at the Musjid before Sayin Baba started on his stroll, Sayin Baba told Mr. Dixit to give two hundred rupees to my wife who was then shampooing the legs of Sayin Saheb. This order was unaccountable. Has it come to this that I have to be maintained by charity!!! I prefer death to this. Sayin Sahib I think wished to curb and finally destroy my pride so he is getting me used to poverty and the charity of others”.

(to be continued)......

JAI SAI RAM

Offline saisewika

• Blessings 33
    « Reply #148 on: October 11, 2012, 11:55:01 AM »
  • Publish
  • OM SAI RAM

Footnote in clarification of the above entry –

“I turned up the Diary for 1st February, 1912 and read the passage indicated by you. It correctly represents my feelings. Our Sadguru Sayin Maharaj gave the order. Being omniscient, he knew everything including all my innemost thoughts and never insisted on the order being carried out. Now that my attention has been drawn to the matter, it appears to me that my wife then did not like the life of labour and poverty. Kakasaheb Dikshit had accpeted the life and was happy. So Sain Maharaj asked him to give two hundread rupees i.e povery and patience to my wife."

We will have occation to refer to this hindsight of Dadasaheb Khaparde as we proceed to trace an outline of the story of Mrs. Laxmibai Khaparde.   The source of this outline is the biography in Marathi of Shri G.S.Khaparde authored by his son  B.G. alias Babasaheb Khaparde and published in 1962.

(to be continued).......

JAI SAI RAM
    « Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 12:00:30 PM by saisewika »

Offline saisewika

• Blessings 33
    « Reply #149 on: October 11, 2012, 12:05:25 PM »
  • Publish
  • OM SAI RAM

No details about about the early life of Laxmibai Khaparde are given in the biography of Dadasaheb.  We only get to know something about her only as a wife, mother and mistress of the household of Khapardes.  There is no doubt that Laxmibai was semi-literate in the sense that she knew how to read but not how to write.  This however does not mean she was uneducated.   In fact she was highly cultured. She had read and also heard from Keertankars the stories from Ramayana, Mahabharat, Pandav-Pratap, Shiva Lilamrit etc.

The household of Dadasaheb Khaparde was a large one and at one time it consisted of fifty persons excluding children and comprised Dadasaheb and his wife, three sons and their wives, three families who were given shelter, about 12-15 students pursuing their studies, two cooks and their wives, two clerks, a watchman, eight grooms or syces (servants in charge of horses), two bullock cart drivers, one cowherd, two maids and three guests on an average.  Now while presiding over such a household Laxmibai’s roving eye gave equal attention to all.  She made no distiction between the big and the small.  She cooked for all the children of the household including her own and fed them.  If any child fell ill she nursed him herself.

(to be continued).........

JAI SAI RAM

Facebook Comments