Join Sai Baba Announcement List

DOWNLOAD SAMARPAN - Nov 2018

Author Topic: Shri Guru Charitra  (Read 13814 times)

Offline Dipika

• Blessings 9
Re: Shri Guru Charitra
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2005, 05:25:55 AM »
  • Publish
  • Shri Guru Charitra
    Chapter XVI

Greatness of Shri Guru

Namdharak- when all the disciples went away on the pilgrimage who served Shri Guru?

Siddha- I was in a swoon of delusion. But your question has given rise to the Sun of knowledge. Shri Guru's life is like Kamdhenu. Shri Guru lived secretly at Arogya Bhavani near Vajnath. I was with him this time. A Brahmin came to Shri Guru, praised him and said humbly, `I am doing penance, but my mind has not become still. I am greatly appeased to see you, kindly tell me means to attain knowledge and liberate me.

The Brahmin further said, ` Gurudeo, I had a Guru, He used harsh words and asked me to do undesirable service. He did not teach me logic, grammar, bhashya etc. He said that my mind is not still, so I left him in anger.'

Shri Guru-You are a fool, harming yourself and treacherous to Guru. You speak ill of Guru, how can you have knowledge? Why did you come to me leaving Guru, who is a Kamdhenu. By pleasing the Guru by service and giving respect to him one can know Vedas, Shastras and eight Siddhis (a boon to do particular miracles).

The Brahmin placed his head on the feet of Shriguru and asked, `gurudeo, kindly tell me who is a Guru and how to serve him?'

Shri Guru- Mother and father are Gurus. Brahma, Vishnu, Maheswhar are Gurus. One serve his Guru with devotion. I narrate to you a tale in this connection.

Dhoumyarishi lived at Dhwarawati. He had three disciples; Aruni, Baid and Upmanyu. In former times, the Guru tested his disciples before giving knowledge to them. Dhoumys said to Aruni, `go to my field and fill it with canal water.' Aruni went to the field. The canal water was flowing with great force. Paddy was sown in the field which was on higher land than the level of the water. He placed stones to divert the water to the field. He then laid his body across the canal and thus half the flow of water entered the field. Even by sunset, as Aruni did not return, Dhoumya went to his field and called him loudly. He feared a serpent might have bitten or a tiger might have attacked him. Hearing the Guru's voice, Aruni came out of the canal and bowed to the Guru, and stood near him Dhoumya embraced with pleasure and blessed him saying `you will know all Vidyas. Go home get married and live happily'.

Dhoumya then said to Baid, `Go to the field, keep watch on the crop and when it is reaped, bring it home. Baid accordingly went to the field, and kept the watch day and night. When the crop was reaped, a cart with one buffalo was given to him. Baid placed the corn in the cart, yoked the buffalo on one side of the yoke and he himself pulled the cart on the other side. He could not draw the cart with the buffalo, still he drew it with much strain. The buffalo got stuck in the mud and could not go forward. So he alone drew the heavy cart. Subsequently his neck was strangled and he had to face great strain. In the meantime, Dhoumya came there and released him from the yoke. He embraced Baid an said, `you know Vedas and Shastras well.'

The third disciple Upmanyu was fat and dull Dhoumya asked him to take the cattle for grazing the forest. Upmanyu took the cattle to graze. At times, being hungry he would return early from the forest. The Guru told him not to come from the forest till sunset.

The cattle would graze on the bank of a river Upmanyu would bathe, take alms from the Brahmins living nearby. Thus he satisfied his hunger. One day the Guru asked him, `How are you living?'

He said that he took alms and dined. Guru said, `How to you dine without us? Give the alms in the Ashram and again go to the forest.'

Upmanyu acted as directed by the Guru. He would give the alms in the Ashram. But as he did not get full meals at the Ashram he again took alms from some Brahmin houses and satisfied his hunger. When the Guru knew this. He angrily said, `Give both the alms in the Ashram.'

As directed, he gave both the alms in the Ashram. He was anxious now how to satisfy his hunger. He saw calves drinking milk of cows and much milk fell on the ground and was wasted. He held that milk in his hands and drank it.

After some days the Guru asked him how he was fat, He said that he drank the milk that fell while the calves drank the milk from the cows. The guru said, `you should not drink milk tasted by calves as this milk makes you dill.'

While remaining in the forest, he saw milk like paste coming out of the "rui" plant. He held the milk in leaves and while he was drinking it, some drops thereof entered his eyes. Subsequently he lost his eyesight and became blind. Now he thought the Guru would be angry with him. He began to collect the cattle; but as he could not see, he fell in a well.

When Dhoumys knew that Upmanyu did not return by the evening, he went to the forest and called him loudly. Upmanyu responded from the well and informed him about his whereabouts.

Dhoumya came near the well and said to him with sympathy `Recite Ashwinikumar mantra'. After doing that, he got back his eyesight. He came out of the well, bowed to his Guru and stood by him. Dhoumya placed his palm on his head and instantly he had all the knowledge. Dhoumya said to him, "Go home, get married and live happily. You will be well known. One of your disciples, Uttank will bring Kundal (ear ornament) and win the Shesh. He will advise King Janme jaya to perform sacrifice of the serpents and kill all the serpents in the sacrifice"

As stated, Uttank caused Janmejaya to perform the sacrifice in which even Indra had to come down along with Takshak (the king of serpents). This is all due to the greatness of Guru. He will liberate you. You should try to please him.

The Brahmin said, `gurudeo, you have given me the right advice. As I have offended my Guru, how can I please him now? It is very difficult to appease the wounded heart. I would, therefore, leave this worthless body of mine,' saying this, he bowed to Shri Guru. Shri Guru realized his repentance and knowing his desires, Shri Guru said, `All your sins are wiped off now. Remember your Guru.'

The Brahmin folded his hands and prayed, `You are the Guru of all the world and incarnation of three great Gods. How can there be darkness after the rise of the Sun? You please protect me.'

Hearing this Shri Guru was kind to place his right palm on his head and instantly he had knowledge of Vedas, Shastras, Mantras etc. By the touch of the philosopher's stone, iron is changed into gold, similarly the Brahmin became learned. Shri Guru again asked him to go to his Guru.

The Brahmin went to his Guru. Shri Guru then went to Bhuvaneshwari near Bhilavadi and stayed under an Audumber tree on the bank of the Krishna secretly.

Sai baba let your holy lotus feet be our sole refuge.OMSAIRAM

dipika duggal
    साईं बाबा अपने पवित्र चरणकमल ही हमारी एकमात्र शरण रहने दो.ॐ साईं राम

Dipika Duggal

Offline Dipika

• Blessings 9
    « Reply #16 on: December 25, 2005, 05:00:27 AM »
  • Publish
  • Shri Guru Charitra
    Chapter XVII

A Dull Brahmin boy Becomes Learned

Shri Guru observed Chaturmas living under the Audumber tree near bhuvaneshwari secretly. Still his name and fame spread in all the quarters.

Namdharak-Why Shri Guru lived secretly? Why did he observe anushthan and asked for alms?

Siddha-Shri Shankar and Shri Guru Dattatraya like to beg alms. Shri Guru roamed through holy places for protecting his devotees. People came to him and harassed him for trifles and hence he lived secretly. But though the Kasturi is hidden, its fragrance cannot be hidden, similarly brightness of Shri Guru could not be hidden.

There lived at Kavir a learned Brahmin who knew the Vedas. He had a dull foolish son. His parents died in his childhood. When he was seven, his thread ceremony was celebrated, but he could not do Sandhya and recite `Gayatri' mantra. Local Brahmins abused him saying, `your father knew Vedas and shastras; but you have spoiled his name. Your life is worthless. Chintamani is best among the beads, so is the knowledge for a person. A man is honored for his knowledge. A King is respected by his people; but even a king respects learned persons, as knowledge is wealth.'

The boy requested them to suggest means for his improvement. The Brahmins said, `you will have knowledge in the next birth. You should beg for your maintenance in this life.'

The boy being dejected, went to a forest. He was thinking of giving up his life. In the evening he reached Bhilavadi. He took darshan of Bhuvaneshwari and sat at the door of the temple. Next morning he cut his tongue and placed it at the feet of the goddess and said, `If you do not be kind with me. I shall even offer my head at your feet.'

That night he had a dream in which Devi appeared before him and said, "Oh Brahmachari, why are you getting angry with me? There is an Avatarik Purusha sitting under an Audumber tree on the bank of the Krishna. Go to him. He will fulfill your desires."

He woke up and at once ran and crossed the river. He rolled at the Guru's feet and started praising Him. Guru was pleased with him, blessed him and put his hand on his head aas Varad Hastha. At once the boy got knowledge and enlightenment. He also got his tongue back.

If a crow has a dip in the Manasa-Sarovar it will become a Hamsa (swan). So also he who touches Guru's feet will acquire all knowledge. Guru is Almighty. His glory needs to be sung.

dipika duggal

Dipika Duggal

Offline Dipika

• Blessings 9
    « Reply #17 on: December 25, 2005, 05:07:31 AM »
  • Publish
  • Shri Guru Charitra
    Chapter XVIII

A Poor Brahmin Gets Wealth

Varuna Sangam is known as Kashi in the south. Shri Guru came here from bhilavadi and stayed near Panch Ganga sangam for 12 years. Shiva, Bhadra, Bhogavati, Kumbhi and Saraswati are the five rivers. This is a famous holy place like Kashi and Prayag. There is a temple of amareshwar and an Audumbar tree as a Kalpataru. Sixtyfour yoginis lived here. There are 8 holy places in the neighborhood. They are Shukla Tirth. Papavinshi, Kanyatirth, Siddha Varad, Prayag Tirth, Shakti Tirthm Amar Tirth and Koti tirth.

Shri Guru lived under the Audumbar tree here. He would go to Amarpur for alms. In Amarpur lived a Brahmin knowing Vedas. He had a devoted wife. He had a sem creeper at his door. When he could not get sufficient corn he would live on the boiled seems. He adored Shri Guru with devotion. He invited Shri Guru for alms one day. After taking the alms Shri Guru blessed him saying that his poverty was wiped off. While leaving the premises, Shri Guru cut the root of the sem creeper. Seeing this the Brahmins's wife bitterly saying `our means of livelihood are lost.' The Brahmin tried to console her saying, there must be some good intention of shri Guru in cutting the root of the sem. It is our good fortune that Shri Guru in cutting came to us for alms. Do not blame Shri Guru who blessed us. He will protect us.

The Brahmin took away the leaves of the creeper from the courtyard and while digging to take off the root of the creeper, he found a vessel full of coins. He told this to his wife ho was much pleased and now repented for blaming Shri Guru. Both then went to shri Guru and worshipped him with devotion and reported what had occurred.

Shri Guru said, `Do not tell this to any body, else the wealth will be destroyed, you shall live happily with your sons and grandsons.'

dipika duggal

Dipika Duggal

Offline Dipika

• Blessings 9
    « Reply #18 on: December 25, 2005, 05:12:40 AM »
  • Publish
  • Shri Guru Charitra
    Chapter XIX

Greatness of Audumbar : Ganganuj's Poverty wiped off.

Namdharak : "Leaving other holy trees why Shri Guru lived under the Audumber tree? Greatness of Ashwattha is described even in the Vedas, Why then he preferred Audumbar?"

Siddha : "Shri Vishnu took Narasinhawatar to kill the demon Hranyakashyapu. He tore the belly of the demon by his nails, took out the intestines and put them around his neck as a wreath. Narsinha's nails were filled with strong poison and so caused great heat in his body. Shri Lakshmi took Audumbar fruits and thrush Narsinha's nails in them. The poison and the heat of the body subsided and Lakshmi and Narsinha were pleased. So they blessed the Audumbar tree, `You shall always bear fruits and people will worship you as the Kalpataru. Strong poisons will be subsided even by your sight and sterile women will get issues if they worship you with devotion.'

Audumbar is a Kalpa-Taru in Kaliyug, hence Shri Guru lived under it Brahma, Vishnu and Mahesh live here in the form of shri Dattatraya. When Shri Guru lived here, 64 yoginis used to come to him at midday and take Shri Guru to their place under the waters of the river, worshipped and offered him delicious food and Shri Guru would return to his place under the Audumbar.

Brahmins wondered how this sanyasi lived along under the Audumbar, as he did not go in the town to anybody for alms. Some Brahmins kept a watch but at midday they got frightened and so they gave up the idea.

Ganganuj was a farmer who had his field at the river side. At midday he saw that 64 yoginis came out of the river, bowed to Shri Guru and took him to the river. A passage was created for him by the bifurcation of the river water. After some time Shri Guru returned by the same passage. Next day Ganganuj also followed Shri Guru when he was being taken by the yoginis. He saw that there was a nice place with buildings of precious stones, and there was a high and well decorated throne. Shri Guru was seated on the throne. He was duly worshipped, had Arati and was Shri Guru saw Ganganuj. Shri Guru asked him. `How did you come here?' He replied, `I came here to see Thy holy self.' Saying so, he bowed to Shri Guru, who said to him, `Your miseries are wiped off. Your desires will be fulfilled. Do not disclose to anyone whatever you have seen here. Else you will lose all instantly.'

Then Shri Guru came to the Audumbar with him. Ganganuj came to his fields and found a treasure. He got knowledge also. He served Shri Guru with his wife and children with more devotion thereafter.

Om Magh Poornima Ganganuj said to Shri Guru `It is said that bath at Kashi and Prayag is very virtuous. How can this be possible for me?

Shri Guru said, `Panch Ganga Sangam is like Prayag, Jugul is Kashi and Kolhapur is like Gaya. If you wish to see Kashi-Prayag I shall show it to you.'

Shri Guru was sitting on a tiger skin. He asked Ganganuj to shut his eyes and to hold the hind part of the skin firmly and they instantly reached Prayag in the morning. After having bath they went to Kashi at midday. They had darshan of Kashivishweshwar and went to Gaya in the afternoon. They returned to Audumbar by the same evening.

Shri Guru now thought of leaving the place. 64 Yoginis requested him, Why are you leaving us? All our miseries are wiped off when we see you.'

Shri Guru smiled and said, `I am always at this Audumbar. You live here happily. Amarpur is also my dwelling place. Those who worship you, this Audumbar and the Padukas here, all their desires will be fulfilled, and they will get four purusharthas. One who takes bath at Papvinashi, Kanya and Siddha Tirthas, worships the Audumbar and these Padukas for seven days, even if his wife is 60 years old and sterile. If one recites a mantra, under this Audumbar with a pure mind, it will be a great virtue. One lakh rounds of this tree will wipe off leprosy and one's body would be bright as gold. Such is the significance of this place.'

Saying this, Shri Guru came to Gangapur on the bank of Bhima.

dipika duggal

Dipika Duggal

Offline Dipika

• Blessings 9
    « Reply #19 on: December 25, 2005, 05:17:13 AM »
  • Publish
  • Shri Guru Charitra
    Chapter XX

A Brahmani Relieved from Brahmahatya and gets Issues.

Gangahar, a Vedic-Brahmin lived at Shirol. His wife was devoted and good-natured. But the misery was that she had no children. She got issues but they all died after birth in the childhood. She got issues but they all died after birth in the childhood. She observed fasts and vratas, but they bore no fruit.

Some Brahmins said, `This is due to the sin of the previous birth. Those who commit abortions become sterile. Those who kill a cow or a horse and take other's wealth, have no issues in the next birth.'

One Brahmin told her `You took some money from a Brahmin of Shounak Gotra. He asked you to pay the money many times and at last he committed suicide. He spirit does not allow your issues to live.'

The Brahmin was very sorry to know this. She requested the Brahmin to suggest means to get relief from the spirit trouble.

The Brahmin said, `After the death of the Brahmin his death rituals were not performed. You go to the bank of Krishna, observe fast for one month, bathe in the Papvinashi and worship Audumhar for 7 days, do abhishek to Shri Guru, bathe in the Kamya Tirth and give Rs.100/- to a Brahmin of Shounak Gotra and observe the death rituals of the Brahmin Then Shri Guru will protect you.'

The Brahmin said to her, `Shri Guru lives at the Audumbar. He protects his devotees from all the miseries. You spend money as per your circumstances on the advice of Shri Guru.'

The Brahmini went to the place. Bathing in the Papvinashi, she took rounds of the Audumber. Bathing in the Kamya Tirth she worshipped Shri Guru and observed fast. After 3 days the Shounak Gotra Brahmin came in her dream and began to thrash her. She took shelter of the Audumbar tree. Shri Guru appeared and asked the Brahmin why he was beating the Brahmani. Hearing what the Brahmin told, Shri Guru said, `If you harass my devotee, I shall punish you. Accept whatever this Brahmani offers to you and leave her. Mind if you again harass her.'

The Brahmin's spirit bowed to Shri Guru and said, `It is my good fortune that I could see you. I shall act as per your order. Kindly liberate me.'

Shri Guru told the Brahmini, `You give the money you have, in charity in the name of the Brahmin's spirit, `Shri Guru told the spirit. `After the rituals of 10 days, you shall be free from this life.'

When the Brahmani had worshipped the Audumbar for 7 days, Shri Guru came in her dream and said, `All your sins are wiped off. You will now have sons and daughters. Who will have long life.'

She acted as asked by Shri Guru for 10 days. Her sin of Brahmahatya was wiped off and the spirit of the Brahmin was liberated from the spirit life. On the last day Guru appeared in her dream and placed two coconuts in her sari and asked her to do the last function (Udyapan) of her vrat.

The Brahmin couple worshipped Shri-Guru with devotion. Shri Guru appeared before them. The Brahmin got two sons in course of time.

Thread ceremony of the first son was duly celebrated. Chout (shaving the hair on the head) ceremony of the second was to be performed; but the boy fell sick due to tetanus and died on the third day after great suffering. The parents began to weep in grief.

The Brahmani said, `Shri Guru, you are the donor of true and real things. I believed in your words. How did this happen? Due to the sin of Brahmahatya I took your shelter. Due to the fear of a tiger a cow goes to a Muslim and he kills the cow. Similar has been my case.

Next morning the Brahmins of the place tried to console her and demanded the corpse of the boy for funeral; but she held the corpse of her son at bosom and refused to give it and said, `Burn me also with this corpse.'

The Brahmins said, `Does mother give her life with that of a son? How foolish you are! Besides, to commit suicide is a great sin'. It was afternoon; but she did not part with the corpse. In the meantime a Sanyasi came there and began to advise her.'

dipika duggal

Dipika Duggal

Offline Dipika

• Blessings 9
    « Reply #20 on: December 25, 2005, 05:40:24 AM »
  • Publish
  • Shri Guru Charitra
    Chapter XXI

The Dead Child Became Alive

The Sanyasi said, `You are mourning in vain. He who has come to birth, in this world has to die. How long can last the foam or a bubble in the water. This body is made of five principles and when they are separated, the body also perishes. Satwa, Raj and Tam are the three qualities of those principles. Satwa begets god, Raj begets human being and Tam begets demon. Man does good and bad actions and accordingly he gets enjoyment or suffering in the next birth.

Being deluded by affection and agreed, men have pleasures or miseries. They are dependent on the actions of the previous birth. Even Gods and Rishis have to suffer. Only is not grieved at death.

When a female is pregnant, in the beginning the fetus has no shape; but it develops and comes to birth and it is therefore evident that it will perish one day. A body is like a bubble in the water. Some die in childhood, some in youth and some in old age as per actions of the past life. But due to affection, it is said that she is the mother. He is the father, son, wife, friend and so on. The body appears to be clean; but it is full of flesh, blood, urine, filth etc.

As one comes to birth one's enjoyment and suffering are destined. No one has won victory over death. One sees treasure in dream but of what use can it be in practical life? You had many lives in different yoins i.e. species e.g. animals, birds, worms, human being etc.; but how many of these can you recollect? If you had been a human being can you tell me whose wife or daughter you had been? If you cannot know this, why do you mourn saying `my son.'? You give the corpse to the Brahmins for funeral.'

Hearing the advice of the Sanyasi, the Brahmani said, `You have advised me but I am not satisfied and if the fate is unchangeable, why one should adore God? If iron is not transformed into gold by the touch of Paris (Philosopher's stone) what is its significance? Being unfortunate, I adored Shri Guru. If one has fever, one goes to a physician and seeks relief by his medicine.

Shri Narsinh Saraswati is the incarnation of Tri-Murti (Three Gods). He blessed us by giving us sons with long lives. How can it be untrue? In the circumstances, why this calamity should befall me? Therefore I have decided to give up my life.'

Hearing her decision, the Sanyasi said, `Shri Guru has blessed you to have sons having long lives and still your son has died, then you should better go to the place of audumbar with your dead child.'

Being encouraged in this fashion, she tied the body of her son at her back and came to Audumbar. She dashed her head on the padukas and began to mourn. As the night was approaching the Brahmins again asked for the dead body, but she refused to give. The Brahmins said `the body will emanate foul odor tomorrow and then she will have to give it.' Saying this, they went home. Only the parents remained there. Later on after midnight the parents fell drowsy and got a nap due to exertion.

In her dream she saw a person with vibhuti marks on the body, a wreath of rudraksha round the neck, a Trishul in the hand and a tiger skin on the body. He said to her, `Why are you blaming me and mourning? What ails your son? Saying so he applied bhasma or vibhuti to the forehead of the son, opened his mouth and blew air into it by his mouth. Thus oxygen was infused in his body. The result was that the boy began to move his limbs and came to life.

At first sight she was frightened. She thought that one sees in one's dream whatever is in one's mind. But as she awoke she found that the boy was making movement and his body was warm. At first she placed the boy away out of fear but the boy sat and asked for something to eat as he was hungry. She took him to her breast. Milk came out profusely from the paps. Then she gave up fear and was delighted. She aroused her husband. Both bowed to the Padukus of shri Guru and prayed, `Kindly forgive us for our harsh words.' They took rounds of the tree and went for bath.

After bath they washed the blood on the Padukas and worshipped them with great devotion. By this time it was morning. The Brahmins came there again for the funeral, but they were wonderstruck to see the child alive. All were glad to see this miracle and praised the greatness of Shri Guru.

dipika duggal

Dipika Duggal

Offline Dipika

• Blessings 9
    « Reply #21 on: December 25, 2005, 05:48:13 AM »
  • Publish
  • Shri Guru Charitra
    Chapter XXII

An old, barren buffalo gives milk

Shri Guru was staying at the Sangam and used to go to Gangapur for alms. There were about a 100 Brahmin families in Gangaur. Amongst them a poor Brahmin lived with his devoted wife. He had an old barren she buffalo, Putting a rope in her nostrils, she was hired for carrying load, earth and other articles. He lived on the petty amount of the hire thus received.

One day Shri Guru came to this Brahmin at midday for alms. Other Vedic Brahmins said, `We have good delicious food at our houses. Still Shri Guru preferred to go to this poor Brahmin They felt sorry. Shri Guru wished to do parmath without discretion of rich or poor. Shri Krishna went to stay with Vidur instead of King Duryodhan. He accepted simple, coarse food at Vidur's house. Similarly Shri Guru loved satvic persons more. Even bad fate was changed by the favor of Shri Guru.

It was the month of Vaishakh and so the heat of the Sun was terrible. When Shri Guru came to the Brahmin's house, he had gone out. His wife bowed to Shri Guru and offered : him a seat. She said, `My husband will soon return with corn. Kindly wait for a while.'

Shri Guru: `There is a she buffalo at yours. Then why do you not give me milk?'

Brahmani: This she buffalo is old and has no teeth. Moreover she is barren from birth. So we use her for hire and have put a rope in her nostrils. We live on the petty amount of hire.

Shri Guru: You are not telling me the truth. Go and take out milk and give it to me now.

When shri Guru talked in this fashion, the woman took a pot and went to the she buffalo and began to milk her. When two pots-full of milk were obtained, she was surprised and believed that he was not an ordinary sanyasi, but was an incarnation of god. She boiled the milk and respectfully offered it to Shri Guru. Shri Guru was pleased and said, `Lakshmi will live at yours incessantly.' He then went to the Sangam.

When the Brahmin returned, he learnt what had happened. He said to his wife, `Our poverty is now wiped out. Let us go to Shri Guru.' They both went to the Sangam and worshipped Shri Guru with devotion. As blessed by Shri Guru, the Brahmin had a son, daughter, wealth and long life and they lived happily.

dipika duggal

Dipika Duggal

Offline Dipika

• Blessings 9
    « Reply #22 on: December 25, 2005, 05:51:28 AM »
  • Publish
  • Shri Guru Charitra
    Chapter XXIII

Liberation of Brahma-Rakshas Establishment of a Math at Gangapur

Next day some people came to the Brahmin to take his she buffalo on hire. The Brahmin said that he would not give her as she was giving milk. He showed to the people the two pots of milk she was giving. She was barren till yesterday and she had never been pregnant. Yet she was giving milk. All were surprised to see the miracle. The news spread all over and the chief officer of the town also came to know about it. He came to the Brahmin and asked him about the miracle.

The Brahmin said, `This miracle has occurred due to the blessing of the Sanyasi living at the Sangam. He is an incarnation of God. He came for alms at midday yesterday. As there was no corn at home, he asked to give him milk as alms. My wife told him that the she buffalo was barren. The Sanyasi was angry and he asked her to milk the buffalo in his presence. It was really wonder that the buffalo began to give milk from that time. She has become a Kamadhenu for us.'

Hearing this, the Gramadhipati with his wife and children and other men went to the Sangam to see the Sanyasi. He bowed to him and began to praise him. Sri Guru asked him about his intention of coming there. The officer said with folded hands, "Instead of living in the jungle, Swami should establish a math and live in the town and guide us in spiritual life from time to time. I will build the math for you."

Sri Guru thought that it was time to disclose Himself to the society. He therefore agreed to the proposal. The officer seated Sri Guru in a palkhi (palanquin) with respect and took him to the Ganagapur to the accompaniment of music. All the people of the town came for Guru's Darshan and worshipped Him. They praised Him with the words, "Hail, Oh Lord, Victory to You." The Swami reached the South Gate of the town. There was a Peepal tree there in which a ferocious demon was living for a long time. He had been very cruel in his previous life. All houses around the tree had been destroyed. But when the demon saw Sri Guru coming in the procession he ran towards him, bowed at His lotus feet and said, "Oh Guru, redeem me. Your Darshan has destroyed all my bad qualities." Guru said, "Go to the Sangam immediately, take a bath in it, then your sins will be washed away and you will get liberation."

The demon then took a bath in the Sangam, returned and bowed at Guru's feet. Sri Guru placed his hand on the demon's head and blessed him. Thereupon the demon changed into a human being and was liberated from his curse. During Sri Guru's Smaran he left the place. All those who saw this incident said, "Oh Guru, you are not a mortal being. You are a manifestation of Dattatreya Himself. Victory to You. Oh Sri Guru Deva Datta."

As promised, the Gramadhipati built a math for Sri Guru and worshipped Him every day with devotion. Sri Guru went to the Sangam every day for Anushthan. The Gramadhipati took him there in a palanquin and went with Him. Thus Guru's fame spread far and wide, and with the touch of His lotus feet Gannagappur became a Punya Kshetra, a holy place of pilgrimage.

dipika duggal

Dipika Duggal

Offline Dipika

• Blessings 9
    « Reply #23 on: December 25, 2005, 05:54:29 AM »
  • Publish
  • Shri Guru Charitra
    Chapter XXIV

Trivikram bharati Sees Vishwaroop of Shri Guru

Kumasi is a village near ganagapur. Here lived Trivikram Bharati, who had studied three Vedas. He was a devotee of Shri Narahari, Hearing the name of Shri Guru, he said, "Such kind of high living does not become a Sanyasi.' He criticized Shri Guru in this way.

Shri Guru asked Gramadhipati to arrange for going to Kumasi. Elephant, horses, pageantry and musicians were gathered. Shri guru was seated in a palkhi and a grand procession started towards Kumasi.

As usual trivikram was worshipping Narahari in his mind. But he could not see the shrine of Narahari in mediation. He saw all the persons were sanyasis with sticks in hand and having the appearance of Shri Narahari. He was amazed. He fell flat before the procession praying 'You are Trimurti God, Guru of the universe. I could not know you due to my ignorance. Kindly disclose yourself in your real form. You are all-pervading Narsinha Saraswati. I see here that all are yatis having the same appearance. I cannot recognize you and bow to you. I have committed many sins but I have been doing you `manaspuja' daily. It seems that it is bearing fruit today, and I have the pleasure to see thyself. You have descended for the liberation of the ignorant persons like us. So kindly show me your real hallowed form.'

Being praised by Trivikram in this way, Shri Guru appeared before him in his real form in the procession. Shri Guru said to him, `You have been criticizing me and have called me a pretender. Just tell me who is a pretender.'

Trivikram said, `Kindly pardon me. Wipe off my ignorance. I am sinking in the sea of ignorance. Give me a lift in the boat of knowledge and take me with you. Shri Krishna showed Vishwaroop to Arjuna. Similarly you have favored me by showing your universal form. Oh guru of the Universe, your greatness cannot be fully described by people like me.'

Shri Guru: `You have known the Paramartha. You will not have any birth hereafter.' Blessing Trivikram Shri Guru returned back to Ganagapur.

dipika duggal

Dipika Duggal

Offline Dipika

• Blessings 9
    « Reply #24 on: December 25, 2005, 05:57:01 AM »
  • Publish
  • Shri Guru Charitra
    Chapter XXV

Impudent brahmins vanity

There was a cruel Muslim king in Vidura. He used to call the Brahmins, ask them to recited Vedas and explain their meaning. He would then give money to such Brahmins. He would say that if Brahmins kill animals in sacrifices, then why should they blame us for killing animals?

One day two Brahmins, knowing three Vedas, came to the king and said to him, `If there are any learned Brahmins in your city, call them to discuss with us on all the four Vedas.

The king inquired, but no learned Brahmin came forward to discuss with these Brahmins. They decided to visit other places in the country and discuss. Vedas with Brahmins and obtain victory certificates from them.

In course of time they came to Kumasi and invited Trivikram Bharati for discussion or else demanded a certificate for victory.

Trivikram bharati humbly declined to discuss. But due to their persistence he said, `My Gurudeo resides at Ganagapur. Let us go there. You will be given certificates if necessary.'

Trivikram Bharati and two Brahmins came to Ganagapur. Trivikram bowed to Shri Guru and told him why those Brahmin had come there .

Shri Guru asked the Brahmins' `Why do you want to discuss? We being sanyasis do not give any importance to victory or defeat. What will you gain by such discussion?'

The Brahmins said, `We have roamed all over the country and have won victory everywhere. Here we have several certificates of victory. Hence you and Trivikram can both discuss with us.'

Shri Guru: `Vanity results in destruction. What was bali's fate? What did Banasur gain? Ravana and Kauravas have also perished. Even Brahma and others do not know all the Vedas. So think over again and give up the idea of discussing.'

Still he impudent Brahmins insisted to have a discussion.

dipika duggal

Dipika Duggal

Offline Dipika

• Blessings 9
    « Reply #25 on: December 25, 2005, 06:01:27 AM »
  • Publish
  • Shri Guru Charitra
    Chapter XXVI

Vedas Analyzed

Shri Guru said, `Even rishis had to take great pains to learn Vedas. In Kaliyug the span of life being short, it is impossible to learn all the Vedas completely.'

Bharadwaj asked Brahmadeo to teach him the Vedas. Brahmadeo showed him three heaps of Vedas, which appeared as huge as hills. Bharadwaj was stunned to see them. He then requested Brahmadeo to give as much of the Vedas as he could learn. Brahmadeo gave him three handfuls of Vedas. He could not study even these. Mantras of the three Vedas were separated, which formed the fourth Veda-Atharva Veda.

Vyas, the incarnation of Shri Vishnu, taught these four Vedas to his four disciples. He narrated rigweda to `Pail'. It was tall and of a prominent neck. It had a sharp sight and was as bright as the Sun. It's Gotra was Atri, it's God. Brahma, it's Chhand (metre)-Gayatri and Upaveda Ayurveda. It has 5 parts and 6 Brahmans and Arans.

Vyas narrated `Vaishampayan', the second disciple, Yajurveda, which is full of rituals for different sacrifices. It was 5-Ranti tall. It's Gotra was bharadwaj, it was thin and its Chhand was Trishtup. Its God was Mahavishnu. It was also as bright as the Sun and its Upaveda was Dhanurveda. It has 86 parts.

Samveda is the third Veda, which pleases by its music. Vyas narrated this to `Jaimini' his third disciple. It is 6-Ratni tall, calm and controlled. Its lips are red, and a has a stick in its hand. Its Gotra is Kashyap, Guru is Rudra, and chhand is Jati. Its Upaveda is gandharva. It is divided in many parts.

Highly learned Vyas narrated `Sumantu,' his fourth disciple, the fourth `Atharvaveda'. Its God is Devesh, Gotra is baijan, chhanda is Swachhanda and Upaveda is Astra Shastra. It has 9 parts and 5 kalpas.

No one can know all these four fully. Knowing only a part of the Vedas, how do you say you know all the Vedas?

Due to knowledge of Vedas, Brahmins were highly respected in the past. They were called Gods-of-the-earth-Bhoosur. Even kings worshipped them. Three great gods were under their control due the strength of the Vedas. Indra and other Gods were afraid of the Brahmins as they could turn a straw into a mountain and a mountain into a straw. Shri Vishnu also requested the Brahmins.

In Kaliyug the Brahmins have given up the Vedic-path and so their power is lot. They serve lower classes, sell Vedas. Though there are several parts of the Vedas, many parts are lost.

You say that you know four Vedas, but do you know the end of any Veda? So do not persist for discussion. Better you go away from here. Do not waste your lives in vanity.'

The impudent Brahmins could not appreciate Shri Guru's advice and they still said, `Either discuss with us or give us a certificate to that effect.'

Shri Guru was enraged to see their attitude. He said, `Let it be as you desire. Just is a rat cuts the sides of a box of a serpent or a butterfly jumps on a lmap, you are digging your own grave.'

dipika duggal

Dipika Duggal

Offline Dipika

• Blessings 9
    « Reply #26 on: December 25, 2005, 06:04:18 AM »
  • Publish
  • Shri Guru Charitra
    Chapter XXVII

Harijan Becomes A Learned Brahmin

Shri Guru saw a man passing by. He asked his disciples to call him. He was a Harijan. He bowed to Shri Guru and prayed for liberation.

Shri Guru gave a stick to a disciple and asked him to draw seven parallel lines. On doing this shri Guru asked the Harijan to cross a line. The Harijan crossed the first line and Shri Guru asked him who he was. He said he was a Kirat. On crossing the second line, he had more knowledge. On crossing the third he said he was a gangasut i.e. a boatman. On crossing the fourth he became a Shudra. On crossing the fifth he became Somdatta Vaishya. On crossing the sixth he was a Kshatriya named godavary. On crossing the seventh line, he said, `I am a Brahmin. I know Vedas, Shastras, Vyakran and my name is Adhyapak (Teacher).

Shri Guru said, `These two Brahmins have come to discuss Vedashastras. You may discuss with them' So saying he asked him to apply enchanted vibhuti to his body due to which he looked more bright.

Seeing this miracle, the Brahmins began to tremble with fear and started getting pain in the heart. They fell on the feet of Shri Guru and said, `We are great offenders. Kindly forgive us and liberate us. You are incarnation of three Gods and Guru of the world. Your greatness is indescribable.'

Shri Guru said, `You have harassed Trivikram Muni and have committed many other offenses' You will become brahma-rakshasas and have to suffer for your sins.'

The Brahmins again entreated, `How shall we be free from this worldly sea?'

Shri Guru : 'You shall be Brahma-Rakshasas for twelve years. Shuknarayan, a Brahmin will come and advise you and then your sins will be wiped off and you will be liberated. You go to the river now.' The Brahmins went to the river. They had severe heart-pain and they died, They lived as Brahma-Rakshasas and after twelve years they were liberated.

The Harijan Brahmin said to Shri Guru, 'I was a Brahmin, then how was I degenerated? What sins had I committed? Kindly enlighten me.'

dipika duggal

Dipika Duggal

Offline Dipika

• Blessings 9
    « Reply #27 on: December 25, 2005, 06:43:11 AM »
  • Publish
  • Shri Guru Charitra
    Chapter XXVIII

Advice of Karma Vipak to the Harijan

Shri Guru said, `I will tell you the account of your past life. One gets birth as per one's good or bad actions. If Shudra enjoys with a Brahmin woman he becomes a chandal. Brahmins and persons of other castes are degenerated if they lead a faulty life.

One who leaves his parents or Guru and goes elsewhere and who forsakes his wife, becomes a chandal. One who adores other deities, leaving one's family god, who speaks a lie, who kills animals, sells his daughter, takes Shudra's food, sells horses, enjoys with Shudra women, sets fire to the forest, separates a cow from its calves, rides on an ox, becomes a chandal.

A Brahmin after going to a holy place, does not bathe there and does not observe six Karmas, his first wife being alive, marries with another and forsakes the first, who enjoys with widows, becomes degenerated. Similarly one who breaks tanks and wells, causes split in Brahmins' houses, enjoys with wives of master, Guru or a friend, takes meals in the evening, runs away from the battle field leaving the master, tells vedas to shudras, does not observe shradha, (anniversary of parents etc.) speaks about one's virtues, administers medicines without knowing the pulse, censures Hari and Har also gets birth in a chandal family.

One who learns mantras from shudras, mixes water in cow's milk, becomes a dog. One who criticizes Vedas, disrespects. Brahmins, suffers from stone in the bladder. One who causes abortions of women, becomes neutral and even if he has issues they do not survive.

One who steals gold, suffers from syphilis, he who steals book becomes blind. One who steals at his friend's house, suffers from glands in the neck. A thief of food articles suffers from tumor. One who takes away other's wife, becomes a Brahma Rakshas. One who takes away money offered to god becomes a leper. One who takes away money offered to God becomes a steals cow's milk becomes a leper.

The bad results of adultery are given in Shantiparva of Mahabharat. One who embraces other's wife, becomes a dog for 100 lives and then a serpent. One who sees the vagina of other's wife becomes blind. One who enjoys with a friend's wife or maternal aunt, becomes a dog If a Shudra enjoys with a Brahmin woman, both will become worms.'

Hearing this Trivikram asked, `If one has committed a sin, how can it be wiped off?'

Shri Guru: `If there is real repentance, the sin is wiped off. Prayashchittas (Puritive acts) are given in `Karma Vipak' as follows. Take Brahmadand. Give cow with ornaments in charity to a Brahmin. If this is not possible give money. If the sin is minor then giving of a gold coin will suffice. If a man and his wife both have committed a sin both should take Prayashchitta or recite `ayatri' mantra ten thousand times or feed 12 Brahmins. `Gayatri Krichhra' `Prajapati Krichhra' means to take meal once a day or take `madhukari' (food alms taken at Brahmins) and have fasts for 3 days, mild sins are wiped off by this act.

In `Ati Krichhra' take 15 morsals of food in the morning and 12 in the night or take eight morsels of madhukari food each in the morning and in the night. Take ghee for 3 days and milk for 3 days, live only on air for 3 days and then only milk for 3 days and then take only milk for 21 days. A weak person can observe fast taking ti, gur, parched paddy (Lahi). In `Parna Krichhra' water in which leaves of certain trees are dipped, is to be taken. One should declare one's sin in meeting openly. `Tirth Krichhra' means to go to a holy place, take bath and recite Gayatri mantra for twelve hundred times. All sins are destroyed by doing this. Bath at Setubandh wipes off sin of killing a child in womb. Recitation of a crore of Gayatri mantra wipes off even the sin of a Brahmahatya.

Pavmansukta, Indra mitra, Shunah shep, Apamadhya, Tadvishnoh, Purushsukta from the Vedas will wipe off sins if recited daily. Taking of Panch Gavya (mixture of 5 things i.e. Cow's milk, curds, ghee, cow's urine and dung) after repentance, destroys sins committed due to ignorance.

Brahmahatya, drinking, enjoying with guru's wife, theft of gold and cooperation in these crimes are the five great sins which are destroyed by the favor of Shri Guru'.

Shri Guru told the Harijan, `You were a Brahmin but you disregarded your parents and therefore, you have become a chandal. You bathe at the sangam for a month and your sins will be wiped off'.

The Harijan said, `A crow becomes a Rajhansa on going to the Manas lake, similarly I have been pure by your sight (darshan). How can the iron transformed into gold by the touch of paris (Philosopher's stone) be iron again ?' Assimilate me now amongst the Brahmins'.

Shri Guru smiled and said, `You are born in a low caste. How can you be a Brahmin without change of the present day? In the former times, Vishwamitra was born as Kshatriya, by penance he called himself a `Brahmarshi'. Indra and other gods said, `If our guru Vashishta calls you `Brahmarshi' we shall follow his verdict.' Vashishta did not address Vishwamitra as `Brahmarshi' Vishwamitra was enraged and he killed 100 sons of Vashishta and came to eat the flesh of the corpse. Thus the bhasma touched the dead body of the Brahmin He being a sinner, was being taken by the Yamadoots. But as his body had the marks of bhasma, Shivadoots also came to carry him to Shiva's place. The Shivadoots attacked the Yamadoots, who then left the Brahmin's corpse and complained to Yama, who came to the Shivadoots and angrily asked them. "Why did you take that sinful Brahmin from my men?" The Shivadoots told him, "The body of the Brahmin and marks of bhasma on it and so as per Shiva's orders we are taking him to touch the body, with marks of Bhasma." Being satisfied Yama then went away.

Brahma rakshas said, `When I was the king, I had constructed a tank in a forest and had given some land to the Brahmins. So as told by Yama, I had the fortune to see you in this 25th life. Kindly tell me how bhasma is to be applied and liberate me from the cycle of births and deaths.'

Wamdeo said, `Shri Shankar had gone to Mandrachal along with his Rudragan. Indra, Brahmadeo, Vashishta, Narad, Yaksh, gandharva and Rishis also had come there to see Shri Shankar. Who was seated on a beautiful throne, having seven back grounds, all very bright and made of precious stones. He had the Moon on his forehead, locks of hair on his head, Takshak on one ear and Vasuki on the other and wreaths of serpents around this neck. He had trishul in one hand, Damaru (drum) in the second, sword hands, held different weapons. He was sitting with Parwati devi, who was wearing rich clothes and ornaments.

Sanatkumar requested Shri Shankar to tell some means by which one could attain all the four Purusharthas.

Shri Shankar said, 'have tripundra (3 lines) on the forehead and apply bhasma on the body. This will destroy all the sins, such as taking the wealth of others, enjoying with others, wives, cajoling, giving false witness, stealing of cow, land, gold or till, selling milk, flesh,salt and doing adultery etc. and after death one goes to heaven.

Wamdeo gave enchanted Bhasma to the Brahma Rakshas who applied it to his body and had tripundra on his forehead. He was at once transformed into a celestial person and a plane descended to take him to the heaven.

Though Bhasma has much greatness, the greatness of Shri Guru is still more and so due to the favor of Wamdeo the Brahma Rakshas was liberated."

dipika duggal

Dipika Duggal

Offline Dipika

• Blessings 9
    « Reply #28 on: December 25, 2005, 11:59:10 AM »
  • Publish
  • Shri Guru Charitra
    Chapter XXIX

The Great Power of Bhasma

Trivikrama bowed to Sri Guru and asked. "Oh Guru, how did the Chandala get knowledge. And how did it vanish after the bath?"

Sri Guru said,"He received knowledge when I sprinkled Vibhuti, the sacred ashes on him. His knowledge disappeared when the ashes disappeared. One who applies Vibhuti will become pure and whole and get knowledge of Brahman." Then He narrated a story:

In Krithayuga there was a Mahayogi named Vamadeva. He used to apply Bhasma to His body. He was without pride and desire. Once He wandered into a forest named Krauncharanya. There a demon came to eat Him. But as He held Vamadeva, some bhasma on Vamadeva's body rubbed off onto his body. As a result, the demon's sins were washed away and he received enlightenment. "Oh, Trivikrama, one's sins are washed away on one's coming into contact with a person of good character and integrity."

The demon bowed to Vamadeva and prayed for redemption. Sri Guru asked the demon about him. The demon said,""Now I remember my 25 previous births, before which I was a king named Durjaya. I was a wicked king, harassed my citizens, including women, and drank alcohol. Due to all this I had to go to hell and become a ghost for a hundred years. Then I took birth as a dog, a jackal, and other animals. I was tired of all these births. Then I became a demon. Although I eat so many animals, I am still hungry. So I came to eat You. But the contact with Your body has washed my sins away. I have attained peace and acquired knowledge. Oh compassionate one, redeem me, and explain to me how I attained knowledge due to contact with the Bhasma on Your body."

Vamadeva said, "The power of Bhasma is great and limitless. You touched my body on which I had applied the sacred ashes." With these words he put the power of the Shiva mantra into the Bhasma and gave it to the demon to apply.

The demon said, "Oh Sri Jagadguru, I met You due to my good deeds in my previous birth. As a king I had built a water tank, and gave lands and cows to Brahmins,so now I have been rewarded. I have been purified." With these words he applied Bhasma to his body. On doing so he immediately got a heavenly body.

Vamadeva was an incarnation of Trimurthy (Dattatreya) in form of a Rishi. As Jagadguru He wandered from place to place to redeem humans. This demon bowed to Vamadeva and attained moksha. This was the story Sri Guru told to describe the glory of Bhasma.

The power of Bhasma is great. Even a demon was saved by it. But no Mantra is successful unless it is blessed by a Guru. That is why they say no salvation is possible without the Guru. He is the liberator and the protector.

Translated by B. Ramabai Shenoy

dipika duggal

Dipika Duggal

Offline Dipika

• Blessings 9
    « Reply #29 on: December 25, 2005, 12:05:10 PM »
  • Publish
  • Shri Guru Charitra
    Chapter XXX

The Death of a Young Brahmin Husband

When Shri Guru lived at Ganagapur, his name and fame spread all over the country. The desires of all were fulfilled by the favor of Shri Guru.

Gopinath a rich Brahmin lived at Mahur. His issues did not survive. Both the Brahmin and his wife were devotees of Shri Datta. They had a son. When he was of 5 years, his thread ceremony was celebrated. When he became twelve years old, his marriage was celebrated. When he was of 16 years, the couple looked very charming. Both loved each other intensely.

Unfortunately the youth fell ill. Many medicines were given. His wife served him devotedly. He could not take full meals. So she also did not take meals. After 3 years he developed consumption. His body emitted foul odor. Even physicians did not like to go near him. But his wife served and nurses him with great devotion. She took only as much food as her husband took. The medicines given to him were also taken by hr. She gave up rich garments and lived a very simple life.

The parents of the couple were rich. They were pained to see the sufferings of their son and daughter-in-law. Jap,vrat,charity,sacrifices,feeding of the Brahmins and the poor had been done;but all was futile. All were passing days in grief, relying on the Almighty God.

The youth tried to console his parents and wife in various ways. The wife requested her father and mother-in-law to send then to some good holy place. She said,"My husband would recoup his health there. Shri Guru Narsinha Saraswati lives at Ganagapur. His name and fame have spread all over the country. Hence send us to him."

The parents managed for their journey to Ganagaour and bade them good bye with heavy hearts. One the way, the youth had tridosh and when they reached Ganagapur, the youth died. The wife wept bitterly. She dashed her head on the ground. The local persons tried to console her but it was in vain. She exclaimed, 'I brought you away from your parents and have been the cause of your death. I have committed a great sin. How can I show my face to them now?" She fell on the dead body and wept. She decided to observe 'sati' and burn herself with the body of her husband.

In the mean while, there arrived a bright looking sanyasi with ash(bhasma) marks on his body, with a wreath of Rudraksh round the neck and locks of hari on his head. Knowing the cause of her mourning, he began to advise her saying, 'Every one gets the fruit of his actions in the past. You need not mourn on the death of this youth. Every one who is born has to die one day or the other. When Ganga is flooded, logs of wood from different places come together and again part. Several birds come for shelter on a tree in the night and fly away in the morning. Similar is a family life. Due to affection, we say my father,mother, husband, son,daughter etc. but just as foam or bubbles in water do not last long, so is the life on this earth. Life is like a dream, so do not mourn.'

dipika duggal

Dipika Duggal

Facebook Comments