Join Sai Baba Announcement List

DOWNLOAD SAMARPAN - Nov 2018

Author Topic: THE NECTAR IN Sai Sat Charitra  (Read 37158 times)

Offline ShAivI

• Members
  • Blessings 56
  • बाबा मुझे अपने ह्र्दय से लगा लो, अपने पास बुला लो।
Re: THE NECTAR IN Sai Sat Charitra
« Reply #120 on: September 04, 2014, 04:03:20 AM »
  • Publish
  • OM SAI RAM !!!

CHAPTER 33

At Malegaon (Dt. Nasik) there lived a doctor (qualified and degree-holder).
    His nephew suffered from an incurable disease - Tubercular bone-abcess.
    The doctor himself and his brothers, the medical practitioners, tried all sorts
    of remedies and even an operation. There was no relief and there was no
    end to the little boy's suffering. Friends and relations advised the parents
    of the boy to seek divine aid and recommended them to try Sai Baba,
    who was known to have cured such incurable cases by His mere glance.
    The parents, therefore, came to Shirdi. They prostrated themselves before Baba,
    placed the boy before Him and pleaded humbly and respectfully, and implored
    Him to save their son. The merciful Baba comforted them saying
    "Those who resort to this Masjid shall never suffer anything in this life and to
    the end of time. Be now care-free. Apply Udi on the abcess and within one week
    he will recover. Believe in God. This is no Masjid, but Dwarawati. He who steps
    here will soon get health and happiness and his sufferings will come to an end".
    The boy was made to sit before Baba, Who moved his hands on the affected part
    and cast His loving glances on him. The patient was pleased and with the application
    of the Udi, he began to recover, and was all right after some days. The parents then
    left Shirdi with their son, thanking Baba for the cure, which was effected by Udi
    and Baba's gracious looks.

After knowing this, the doctor, the uncle of the boy became wonder-struck and
    desired to see Baba while he was on his way to Bombay for some business; but
    at Malegaon and Manmad somebody spoke to him against Baba and poisoned
    his ears. He therefore, dropped the idea of visiting Shirdi and went to Bombay direct.
    He wanted to spend the rest of his leave at Alibag, but at Bombay he heard three
    successive nights, a voice crying out,"Still you disbelieve me?". Then the doctor
    changed his mind and resolved to go to Shirdi. He had to attend in Bombay to a
    case of Infectious Fever, which showed no signs of abatement soon. So he thought
    that his Shirdi trip would be postponed. He however proposed a test in his mind
    and said,"If the patient gets all right today, I start for Shirdi tomorrow." The wonder
    is that exactly at the time when the determination was taken, the fever began to
    abate and the temperature became normal. Then he went to Shirdi as per his
    determination, took Baba's darshan and prostrated himself before Him. Baba gave
    him such experiences that he became His devotee. He stayed there for four days
    and returned home with Baba's Udi and blessings. Within a fortnight he was transferred
    on promotion to Bijapur. His nephew's case gave him an opportunity for seeing Baba
    and this visit engendered in him a neverfailing love for the Saint's feet.

One Dr. Pillay was an intimate Bhakta of Baba. He was much liked by Baba, Who always
    called him Bhau (brother). Baba talked with him off and on and consulted him in all matters
    and wanted him always at His side. This Pillay suffered once very badly from guinea-worms.
    He said to Kakasaheb Dixit, "The pain is most excruciating and unbearable. I prefer death
    to it. This pain, I know, is for repaying past Karma, but go to Baba and tell Him to stop
    the pain and transfer the working of my past Karma to ten future births of mine." Mr. Dixit
    went to Baba and told Him his request. Then Baba, being moved by his request, said to Dixit,
    "Tell him to be fearless. Why should he suffer for ten births? In ten days he can work out
    the sufferings and consequences of his past Karma. While I am here to give him temporal
    and spiritual welfare, why should he pray for death? Bring him here on somebody's back
    and let us work and finish his sufferings once for all".

The doctor was brought in that condition and was seated on Baba's right side,where
    Fakir Baba always sat. Baba gave him His bolster and said,"Lie calmly here and be at
    ease. The true remedy is, that the result of past actions has to be suffered and got over.
    Our Karma is the cause of our happiness and sorrow; therefore put up with whatever
    comes to you. Allah (God) is the sole Dispenser and Protector, always think of Him. He will
    take care of you. Surrender to His feet with body, mind, wealth and speech, i.e. completely
    and then see what He does." Dr. Pillay said in return that Nanasaheb had put a bandage
    over the leg, but he found no relief. "Nana is a fool" replied Baba. "Take off that bandage
    or else you will die. Now a crow will come and peck you, and then you will recover."

While this conversation was going on, one Abdul, who always cleaned the Masjid and
    trimmed the lamps, turned up. While he was attending to his work of training, his foot
    accidentally fell upon the stretched leg of Dr. Pillay. The leg was already swollen and
    when Abdul's foot fell upon it and pressed it, all the seven guinea-worms were squeezed
    out at once. The pain was unbearable and Dr. Pillay bawled out loudly. After some time,
    he calmed down and began to sing and cry alternately. Then Pillay enquired when the
    crow was coming and peeking. Baba said, "Did you not see the crow? He won't come again.
    Abdul was the crow. Now go and rest yourself in the Wada and you will be soon allright."

By application of the Udi and by taking it in the stomach with water, and without taking
    any other treatment or medicine, the disease was completely cured in ten days
    as predicted by Baba. 

OM SAI RAM, SHRI SAI RAM, JAI JAI SAI RAM !!!

JAI SAI RAM !!!

Offline ShAivI

• Members
    • Blessings 56
    « Reply #121 on: September 05, 2014, 02:25:25 AM »
  • Publish
  • OM SAI RAM !!!

CHAPTER 34

Let us bow now before the great saints. Their merciful glances will destroy
    mountains of sins and do away with all the evil taints of our character. Their
    casual talk gives us good teachings and confers on us imperishable happiness.
    Their minds do not know any difference such as 'This is ours and that is yours.'
    Such differentiation never arises in their minds. Their debts (obligations) will
    never be repaid by us in this birth as well as in many future births.

It is well-known that Baba took Dakshina from all, and out of the amount
    thus collected, He spent a lot on charity and purchased fuel with the balance
    left with Him. This fuel He threw in the Dhuni - the sacred fire, which he kept
    ever burning. The ash from this fire was called Udi and it was freely distributed
    to the devotees at the time of their departure from Shirdi.

What did Baba teach or hint by this Udi? Baba taught by His Udi that all the
    visible phenomena in the universe are as transient as the ash. Our bodies
    composed of wood or matter of the five elements, will fall down, after all their
    enjoyments are over, and be reduced to ashes. In order to remind the devotees
    of the fact that their bodies will be reduced to ashes, Baba distributed Udi to
    them. Baba also taught by the Udi that the Brahman is the only Reality and the
    universe is ephemeral and that no one in this world, be he a son, father or wife,
    is really ours. We come here (in this world) alone and we have to go out alone.
    It was found and is even now found out, that the Udi cured many physical and
    mental maladies, but Baba wanted to din into the devotee's ears the principles
    of discrimination between the Unreal and the Real, non-attachment for the Unreal,
    by His Udi and Dakshina. The former (Udi) taught us discrimination and the latter
    (Dakshina) taught us non-attachment. Unless we have these two things, it is not
    possible for us to cross over the sea of the mundane existence. So Baba asked
    for and took Dakshina, and while the devotees took leave, He gave Udi as Prasad,
    besmeared some of it on the Bhaktas' foreheads and placed His boon-conferring
    hand on their heads. When Baba was in a cheerful mood, He used to sing merrily.
    One such song was about Udi. The burden of the Udi song was this,"Oh, playful
    Rama, come, come, and bring with you sacks of Udi." Baba used to sing in
    very clear and sweet tones.

So much about the spiritual implication of Udi. It had also its material significance.
    It conferred health, prosperity, freedom from anxiety, and many other worldly
    gains. So the Udi has helped us to gain both our ends - material as well as spiritual.
    We shall now begin with the stories about the Udi. 

JAI SAI RAM !!!

Offline ShAivI

• Members
    • Blessings 56
    « Reply #122 on: September 05, 2014, 02:30:06 AM »
  • Publish
  • OM SAI RAM !!!

CHAPTER 35

In spiritual matters or endeavours, sectarianism is the greatest bar to our progress.
    Those, who believe the God is without form, are heard saying that to believe the
    God is with the form is an illusion and that the Saints are only human beings.
    Then why should they bend their heads before them and offer Dakshina?
    Persons belonging to other sects will also raise objections and say, "Why should
    they bow and offer allegiance to other Saints, leaving their Sadgurus?" Similar
    objections regarding Sai Baba were heard before and are heard even now.
    Some said that when they went to Shirdi, Baba asked for Dakshina from them.
    Is it good that Saints should collect money in this fashion? If they do so,
    where is their Sainthood? But there are many instances where men went to
    Shirdi to scoff; but remained there to pray.

Kaka was the Manager in the firm of Thakkar Dharmasey Jethabhai, a solicitor
    of Bombay. Both the Master and the Manager were on intimate terms. Mr. Thakkar
    knew that Kaka was often going to Shirdi, staying there for some days and returning,
    when Baba permitted him. Out of curiosity and just to test Baba, Mr. Thakkar
    decided to go to Shirdi with Kaka during Shimga holidays. As Kaka's return was
    uncertain, he took another man with him as an associate. The three started together
    and Kaka bought two seers of raisins (dried grapes with seed) on the way for
    presentation to Baba. They reached Shirdi in due time, and went to the Masjid for
    darshan. Then Babasaheb Tarkhad was there, Mr. Thakkar asked him why he came
    there. "For darshan", Tarkhad replied. Mr. Thakkar asked if miracles took place
    there. Tarkhad replied that it (to see miracles) was not his attitude, but the earnest
    intentions of the Bhaktas were satisfied here. Then Kaka prostrated himself before
    Baba and offered the raisins to Him. Baba ordered them to be distributed. Mr. Thakkar
    got a few of them. He did not like the raisins and he was advised by his doctor not to
    eat them without washing and cleaning them. So he was in a fix. He did not like to eat
    them, nor could he reject them. To keep up formalities, he put them into his mouth,
    but did not know what to do with the seeds. He could not spit them out on the floor
    of the Masjid, so he pocketed them against his wish. He then said in his mind that
    if Baba was a Saint, how could He be ignorant of his dislike for the raisins and could
    He force them on him. When this thought arose in his mind Baba again gave him some
    more raisins. He could not eat them, but held them in his hand. Then Baba asked him
    to eat them up. He obeyed and found, to his surprise, that they were all seedless.
    He wanted to see miracles and here was one. He knew that Baba read his thought;
    and as per his wish converted raisins (with seeds) into seedless grapes. What a
    wonderful power! Again to test further he asked Tarkhad, who was sitting by and
    who also got some raisins, "What kind of grapes you got?" He replied "They variety
    with seeds." Mr. Thakkar was still more surprised to hear this. Then to confirm his
    growing faith Thakkar thought in his mind that if Baba was a real Saint, the raisins
    should be now given to Kaka first. Reading this thought also, Baba ordered that
    distribution should be commenced from Kaka. These proofs were sufficient for Thakkar.

Then Shama introduced Mr. Thakkar as the master of Kaka, upon which Baba said,
    "How could he be his master? He has got a different Master altogether". Kaka
    appreciated this reply. Forgetting his resolve, Thakkar saluted Baba and returned
    to the Wada.

After the noon-Arati was over, they all went to the Masjid for taking Baba's leave
    for their departure. Sharma spoke for them. Baba then spoke as follows.

"There was a fickle-minded gentleman. He had health and wealth and was free from
    both physical and mental afflictions, but he took on him needless anxieties and burdens
    and wandered hither and thither, thus losing his peace of mind. Sometimes he dropped
    the burdens and at other times carried them again. His mind knew no steadiness.
    Seeing his state, I took pity on him and said, "Now please keep your faith on any
    one place (point) you like, why roam like this? Stick quietly to one place.

Thakkar at once came to know that, that was an exact description of himself. He
    wished that Kaka should also return with him but no one expected that Kaka would be
    allowed to leave Shirdi so soon. Baba read also this thought to his and permitted Kaka
    to return with his master. Thakkar got one more proof of Baba's capacity to read another's mind.

Then Baba asked Kaka for Rs. 15/- as Dakshina and received it. To Kaka He said,
    "If I take one rupee as Dakshina from anybody I have to return it tenfold to him.
    I never take anything gratis. I never ask any one indiscriminately. I only ask and
    take from him whom the Fakir (My Guru) points out. If any one is indebted formerly
    to the Fakir money is received from him. The donor gives, i.e. sows his seeds,
    only to reap a rich harvest in future. Wealth should be the means to work out Dharma.
    If it is used for personal enjoyment, it is wasted. Unless you have given it before,
    you do not get it now. So the best way to receive is to give. The giving of Dakshina
    advances Vairagya (Non-attachment) and thereby Bhakti and Jnana. Give one and
    receive tenfold".

On hearing these words Mr. Thakkar himself gave Rs.15/- in Baba's hand, forgetting
    his resolve not to do so. He thought he did well in coming to Shirdi as all his doubts were
    solved and he learnt so much.

Baba's skill in handling such cases was unique. Though He did all those things He was
    totally non-attached to them. Whether anybody saluted Him or not, or whether anybody
    gave Him Dakshina or not, it was the same to Him. None He disrespected. He felt no
    pleasure because He was worshipped and no pain because He was disregarded.
    He transcended the pairs of opposites, viz. pleasure and pain, etc.   

JAI SAI RAM !!!

Offline ShAivI

• Members
    • Blessings 56
    « Reply #123 on: September 08, 2014, 03:47:56 AM »
  • Publish
  • OM SAI RAM !!!

CHAPTER 36 : Part - 1

Once two gentlemen came from Goa for taking darshan of Sai Baba,
    and prostrated themselves before him. Though both came together,
    Baba asked only one them to give Him Rs.15/- as Dakshina which was
    paid willingly. The other man voluntarily offered Rs. 35/-. This sum was
    rejected by Baba to the astonishment of all. Shama, who was present,
    asked Baba, "What is this? Both came together, one's Dakshina you accept,
     the other, though voluntarly paid, you refuse. Why this distinction?
    Baba replied, "Shama, you know nothing. I take nothing from anybody.
    The Masjidmayi (The presiding Deity of the Masjid) calls for the debt,
    the donor pays it and becomes free. Have I any home, property or family
    to look after? I require nothing. I am ever free. Debt, enmity and murder
    have to be atoned for, there is not escape". Baba then continued in
    His characteristic way as follows:-

As first he was poor and took a vow to his God that he would pay
    his first month's salary if he got an appointment. He got one on Rs.15/- p.m.
    Then he steadily got promotions, from Rs.15/- he got Rs. 30, 60, 100, 200
    and ultimately Rs.700/- per month. But in his prosperity he forgot clean the
    vow he took. The force of his karma has driven him here and I asked that
    amount (Rs.15/-) from him as Dakshina.

Another story, While wandering by the sea-side I came to a huge mansion
    and sat on its verandah. The owner gave me a good reception and fed me
    sumptuously. He showed me a neat and clean place near a cupboard for
    sleeping. I slept there. While I was sound asleep, the man removed a literite
    slab and broke the wall entered in and scissored off all the money from my pocket.
    When I woke up, I found that Rs.30,000/- were stolen. I was greatly distressed
    and sat weeping and moaning. The money was in currency notes and I thought
    that the Brahmin had stolen it. I lost all interest in food and drink and sat for
    a fortnight on the verandah, bemoaning my loss. After the fortnight was over,
    a passing fakir saw me crying, and made enquiries regarding the cause of
    my sorrow. I told him everything. He said, "If you act according to my bidding,
    you will recover your money; go to a fakir, I shall give his whereabouts,
    surrender yourself to him, he will get back your money; in the meanwhile give up
    your favourite food till you recover your money." I followed the fakir's advice
    and got my money. Then I left the Wada and went to the sea-shore. There was
    a steamer, but I could not get into it as it was crowded. There a good-natured
    peon interceded for me and I got in luckily. That brought me to another shore, w
    here I caught a train and came to the Masjidmayi.

The story finished and Baba asked Shama to take the guests and arrange for
    their feeding. Then Shama took them home and fed them. At dinner, Shama said
    to the guests that Baba's story was rather mysterious, as He had never gone to
    the sea-side, never had any money (Rs.30,000/-), never travelled, never lost any
    money and never recovered it, and enquired whether they understood it and
    caught its significance. The guests were deeply moved and were shedding tears.
    In a choking voice they said that Baba was omniscient, infinite, the One (Para Brahma)
    without a second. The story He gave out is exactly our story, What He spoke has
    already taken place in our case. How He knew this, is a wonder of wonders!
    We shall give all the details after the meals.

Then after the meals while they were chewing betel-leaves,the guests began
    to tell their stories. One of them said:-

"A hill-station on the ghats is my native place. I went to Goa to earn my living by
    securing a job. I took a vow to God Datta that if I got any service, I would offer Him
    my first month's salary. By His grace I got an appointment of Rs.15/- and then
    I got promotions as described by Baba. I did forget all about my vow. Baba has just
    reminded me of it in this way and recovered Rs. 15/- from me. It is not Dakshina
    as one may think it to be, but a repayment of an old debt and fulfillment of long
    forgotten vow".   

JAI SAI RAM !!!

Offline ShAivI

• Members
    • Blessings 56
    « Reply #124 on: September 10, 2014, 03:11:14 AM »
  • Publish
  • OM SAI RAM !!!

CHAPTER 36 : Part - 2

Baba never, in fact, actually begged any money, nor allowed His Bhaktas to beg.
    He regarded money as a danger or bar to spiritual progress and did not allow
    His Bhaktas to fall into its clutches. Bhagat Mhalsapati, is an instance on tis point.
    He was very poor and could hardly make both ends meet. Baba never allowed him
     to make any money, nor gave him anything from the Dakshina amount. Once a
    kind and liberal merchant named Hansaraj gave a large amount of money to
    Mhalsapati in Baba's presence, but Baba did not allow him to accept it.

Then the second guest began his tale. "My Brahmin (cook) was serving me
    faithfully for 35 years. Unfortunately he fell into bad ways, his mind changed
    and he robbed me of my treasure. By removing a laterite slab from my wall
    where my cup-board is fixed, he came in while we were all asleep and carried
    away all my accumulated wealth, Rs. 30,000/- in currency notes. I know not
    how Baba mentioned the exact amount. I sat crying day and night. My enquiries
    came to nothing. I spent a fortnight in great anxiety. As I sat on the verandah,
    sad and dejected, a passing fakir noted my condition and enquired of its cause,
    and I told him all about it. He told me that an Avalia by name Sai lives in Shirdi,
    Kopergaon Taluka. Make vow to Him and give up any food that you like best
    and say to Him mentally that 'I have given up eating that food till I take your
    darshan'. Then I took the vow and gave up eating rice and s0aid, "Baba,
    I will eat it after recovering my property and after taking your darshan".

Fifteen days passed after this. The Brahmin, of his own accord, came to me,
    returned my money and apologized, saying, "I went mad and acted thus;
    I now place my head on your feet, please forgive me". Thus everything ended
    well. The fakir that met me and helped me, was not seen again. An intensive
    desire to see Sai Baba, whom the fakir pointed out to me, arose in my mind.
    I thought that the fakir who came all the way to my house was no other than
    Sai Baba. Would He, who saw me and helped me to get my lost money ever
    covet to get Rs.35/-? On the contrary without expecting anything from us,
    He always tries His best to lead us on the path of spiritual progress.

I was overjoyed when I recovered my stolen property and being infatuated,
    I forgot all about my vow. Then when I was at Colaba, one night I saw Sai Baba
    in my dream. This reminded me of my promised visit to Shirdi. I went to Goa and
    from there wanted to start for Shirdi, by taking a steamer to Bombay, en route.
    But when I came to the harbour, I found that the steamer was crowded and there
    was no place. The captain did not allow me, but on the intercession of a peon,
    who was stranger to me, I was allowed to get into the steamer which brought
    me to Bombay. From there, I got in the train and came here. Surely I think that
    Baba is all-pervading and all-knowing. What are we and where is our home?
    How great our good fortune that Baba got back our money and drew us here
    to Himself? You Shirdi folk must be infinitely superior and more fortunate than we;
    for Baba has played, laughed, talked and lived with you for so many years.
    I think that your store of good merits must be infinite, for it attracted Baba into
    Shirdi. Sai is our Datta. He ordered the vow. He gave me a seat in the steamer
    and brought me here and thus gave proof of His omniscience and omnipotence".   

JAI SAI RAM !!!

Offline ShAivI

• Members
    • Blessings 56
    « Reply #125 on: September 11, 2014, 05:34:50 AM »
  • Publish
  • OM SAI RAM !!!

CHAPTER 37 : Part - 1

Blessed is Sai's life, blessed is His daily routine. His ways and actions
    are indescribable. Sometimes He was intoxicated with Brahmanand
    (divine joy), and at other times content with Self knowledge. Doing
    so many things sometimes, He was unconcerned with them. Though
    He seemed at times quite actionless (doing nothing) He was not idle
    or dozing; He always abided in His own Self. Though He looked calm
    and quiet as the placid sea, He was deep and unfathomable. Who can
    describe His ineffable nature? He regarded men as brothers, women
    as sisters and mothers. He was a perfect and perpetual celibate as
    everybody knows. May the understanding (knowledge), we got in
    His company, last long unto death. Let us ever serve Him with whole-hearted
    devotion to His feet. Let us see Him (God) in all beings and let us ever
    love His name.

Hemadpant, after making some lengthy dissertations on some topics
    of Vedanta, which he himself considers as a digression, goes on to
    describe the Chavadi procession.   

JAI SAI RAM !!!

Offline ShAivI

• Members
    • Blessings 56
    « Reply #126 on: September 11, 2014, 05:40:25 AM »
  • Publish
  • OM SAI RAM !!!

CHAPTER 37 : Part - 2

Baba's dormitory has been already described. One day He slept in the Masjid
    and on the next, in the Chavadi (a small building containing a room or two near
    the Masjid). This alternate sleeping in both these buildings went on till
    Baba's Mahasamadhi. From 10th December 1909 devotees began to offer regular
    worship to Baba in the Chavadi. This we will now describe with His grace. When
    the turn of retiring to the Chavadi came, people flocked to the Masjid and made
    bhajan in the mandap (courtyard) for a few hours. Behind them was a beautiful
    Ratha (small car), to the right a Tulsi-vrindavan and in front Baba, and between
    these the devotees fond of bhajan. Men and women who had a liking for the bhajan
    came in time. Some took Tal, Chiplis and Kartal, Mridang, Khanjiri and Ghol
    (all musical instruments) in their hands and conducted the bhajan. Sai Baba was
    the Magnet Who drew all the devotees to Him there. Outside in the open, some
    trimmed their divatyas, (torches), some decorated the palanquin, some stood with
    cane-sticks in their hands and uttered cries of victory to Baba. The corner was decorated
    with buntings. Round about the Masjid, rows of burning lamps shed their light. Baba's
    horse 'Shyamakarna' stood fully decorated outside. Then Tatya Patil came with a party
    of men to Baba and asked Him to be ready. Baba sat quiet in his place till Tatya came
    and helped Him to get up by putting his arm under Baba's arm-pit. Tatya called Baba
    by the name of Mama. Really their relationship was extremely intimate. Baba wore on
    his body the usual kafni, took His satka (short stick) under His arm-pit and after taking
    His chilim (tobacco-pipe) and tobacco and placing a cloth over His shoulder became ready
    to start. Then Tatya threw a golden-embroidered beautiful Shela (Shawl) over His body.
    After this Baba, moving a little the bundle of fuel-sticks lying behind with His right toe and
    then extinguishing the burning lamp with His right hand, started for the Chavadi. Then
    all sorts of muscial instruments, tashe, band and horns and mridang, gave out their
    different sounds; and fire-works exhibited their different and various coloured views.
    Men and women singing Baba's name started walking, making bhajan to the
    accompaniment of mridang and veena. Some danced with joy and some carried various
    flags and standards. The Bhaldars announced Baba's name when He came on the steps
    of the Masjid. On the two sides of Baba stood persons, who held chavaris and others
    who fanned Baba. On the way were spread folds of cloth on which Baba walked on,
    being supported by devotees' hands. Tatyaba held the left hand and Mhalasapati the
    right and Bapusaheb Jog held the chhatra (umbrella) over His head. In this fashion
    Baba marched on to the Chavadi. The fully decorated red horse, named Shyamakarna
    led the way and behind him were all the carriers, waiters, musical players and the crowd
    of devotees. Hari-nama (the name of the Lord) chanted to the accompaniment of music
    rent the skies as also the name of Sai. In this manner the procession reached the corner
    when all the persons that joined this party seemed well-pleased and delighted.

On coming to this corner Baba stood facing the Chavadi and shone with a peculiar
    lustre. It seemed, as if the face of Baba glittered like dawn, or like the glory of the rising
    sun. Baba stood there with a concentrated mind, facing the north, as if He was calling
    somebody. All the instruments played their music while Baba moved His right arm up and
    down for some time. Kakasaheb Dixit at this time came forward with a silver plate
    containing flowers besmeared with gulal (red powder) and threw them on Baba's body
    off and on. The musical instruments played their best at this juncture and Baba's face
    beamed with steady and added radiance and beauty, and all the persons drank this
    lustre to their hearts' content. Words fail to describe the scene and splendour of this
    occasion. Some times Mhalasapati began to dance being possessed or obsessed by
    some deity, but all were surprised to see that Baba's concentration was not in the least
    disturbed. With a lantern in his hand Tatya Patil walked on Baba's left side and
    Bhagat Mhalasapati on the right, holding with his hand the hem of Baba's garment.
    What a beautiful procession and what an expression of devotion! To witness this, men
    and women, poor and rich, flocked together there. Baba walked very slow. Bhaktas followed
    on both sides with love and devotion. With joy pervading the whole atmosphere of the
    place, the procession reached the Chavadi. That scene and those days are gone now.
    Nobody can see them now or in the future; still remembering and visualising that scene
    and sight, we can bring solace and comfort to our minds.

The Chavadi was also fully decorated with a good white ceiling, mirrors and many sorts
    of lamps. On reaching it Tatya went ahead and spread an asan and placing a bolster
    made Baba sit there and made Him wear good angaraksha (coat). Then the devotees
    worshipped Him in various ways. They put on His head a mugut (crown) with a tuft above,
    placed garlands of flowers and jewels round His neck and marking His forehead with
    musk-mixed vertical lines and a dot (as Vaishnava devotees do) they started at Him for
    long to their hearts' content. They changed His head-dress now and then and held it
    aloft on the head, fearing that Baba might throw it away. Baba knew the heart of them
    all and meekly submitted to all their methods without objection. With these decorations
    He looked wonderfully beautiful.

Nanasaheb Nimonkar held the Chhatra (umbrella) with its beautiful pendants which
    moved in a circle with its supporting stick. Bapusaheb Jog washed the feet of Baba in
    a silver dish and offered 'arghya' and worship with due formalities, then besmeared
    His arms with sandal paste, and offered tambul (betel-leaves). Baba sat on the asan
    (gadi), while Tatya and others kept standing and falling at His feet. When Baba sat
    on the gadi supporting Himself against the bolster, devotees on both sides waved
    chamars and fans. Shama then prepared the chillim and handed it over to Tatyaba
    who drew a flame out of it by his breath and then gave it to Baba. After Baba had His
    smoke, it was given to Bhagat Mhalasapati and then it was passed round to all. Blessed
    was the inanimate chillim. It had first to undergo many ordeals of penance, such as being
    treated by pot-makers, dried in the open sun and burnt in fire and then it had the good
    fortune to get the contact of Baba's hand and His kiss. After this function was over,
    devotees put garlands of flowers on His neck and gave Him nose-gays and bunches of
    flowers for smelling. Baba who was dispassion or non-attachment incarnate, cared a fig
    for all these necklaces of jewels, and garlands of flowers and other decorations; but out
    of real love to His devotees, He allowed them to have their own way and to please
    themselves. Finally Bapusaheb Jog waved the arati over Baba, observing all formalities,
    the musical instruments playing thier auspicious tunes. When this arati was over, the
    devotees returned home one by one saluting Baba and taking His leave. When Tatya Patil,
    after offering chillim, attar (scent) and rose-water, rose to depart, Baba said to him lovingly -
    "Guard Me, go if you like, but return sometimes at night and enquire after Me." Replying in
    the affirmative Tatyaba left the Chhavadi and went home. Then Baba Himself prepared His bed.
    He arranged 50 or 60 white chadders one upon another and thus making His bed, went to rest.
    We shall also now take rest and close this chapter with a request to the readers that they
    should remember Sai Baba and His Chavadi procession daily before they retire and
    go to bed.

JAI SAI RAM !!!

Offline ShAivI

• Members
    • Blessings 56
    « Reply #127 on: September 12, 2014, 03:03:03 AM »
  • Publish
  • OM SAI RAM !!!

CHAPTER 38 : Part - 1

Oh, blessed Sad-guru Sai, we bow to You, Who have given happiness to
    the whole world, accomplished the welfare of the devotees and have
    removed the affliction of those who have resorted to Your Feet. Being
    very liberal and being the protector and saviour of the Bhaktas who surrender
    themselves to You, You incarnate yourself in this world to oblige the people a
    nd do them good. The liquid essence of Pure Self was poured into the mould
    of Brahma and out of this has come out the crest-jewel of the saints-Sai.
    This Sai is Atmarama Himself. He is the abode of perfect divine bliss. Having
    Himself attained all objects of life, He made His devotees desirelss and free.

JAI SAI RAM !!!

Offline ShAivI

• Members
    • Blessings 56
    « Reply #128 on: September 12, 2014, 03:07:37 AM »
  • Publish
  • OM SAI RAM !!!

CHAPTER 38 : Part - 2

Different sadhanas (means of accomplishments) are prescribed in our scriptures
    for different ages. Tapa (Penance) is recommended for Krita age, Jnana
    (Knowledge) for Treta age, Yajna (Sacrifice) for Dwapara age and Dana (Charity)
    for Kali (present) age. Of all the charities, giving food is the best one. We are
    much perturbed when we get no food at noon. Other beings feel similarly under
    similar circumstances. Knowing this, he who gives food to the poor and hungry,
    is the best donor or charitable person. The Taittiriya Upanishad says that
    "Food is Brahma; from food all the creatures are born and having been born,
    by food they live, and having departed, into food again they enter." When an
    Atithi (uninvited guest) comes to our door at noon, it is our bounden duty to
    welcome him by giving him food. Other kinds of charities, viz., giving away wealth,
    property and clothes etc., require some discrimination, but in the matter of food,
    no such consideration is necessary. Let anybody come to our door at noon,
    he should be served forthwith; and if lame, crippled, blind and diseased paupers
    come, they should be fed first and the able-bodied persons and our relations
    afterwards. The merit of feeding the former is much greater than that of feeding
    the latter. Other kinds of charities are imperfect without this Anna-dana
    (giving of food) as stars are without the moon, a necklace without its central
    medal, a crown without pinnacle, a tank without a lotus, bhajan without love,
    a married lady without the kumkum-mark, singing without a sweet voice or
    butter-milk without salt. Just as varan (Pulse-soup) excels all other dishes,
    Anna-dana is the best of all merits. Now let us see how Baba prepared food
    and distributed it.

It has been stated before that Baba required very little food for Himself
    and what little He wanted, was obtained by begging from a few houses.
    But when He took it into His mind to distribute food to all, He made all
    preparations from beginning to end, Himself. He depended on nobody and
    troubled none in this matter. First He went to the bazar and bought all the things,
    corn, flour, spices etc., for cash. He did also the grinding. In the open courtyard
    of the Masjid, He arranged a big hearth and after lighting a fire underneath
    kept a Handi over it with a proper measure of water. There were two kinds of
    Handi, one small and the other big. The former provided food for 50 persons,
    the later for 100. Sometimes He cooked 'Mitthe Chaval' (sweet rice), and at
    other times 'pulava' with meat. At times in the boiling varan (soup), He let in
    small balls of thick or flat breads of wheat flour. He pounded the spices on a
    stone-slab, and put the thin pulverized spices into the cooking-pot. He took all
    the pains to make the dishes very palatable. He prepared 'Ambil' by boiling
    jawari-flour in water and mixing it with butter-milk. With the food He distributed
    this Ambil to all alike. To see whether the food was properly cooked or not,
    Baba rolled up the sleeve of His Kafni and put His bare arm in the boiling cauldron
    without the least fear, and churned (moved) the whole mass from side to side
    and up and down. There was no mark of burn on His arm, nor fear on His face.
    When the cooking was over, Baba got the pots in the Majid, and had them duly c
    onsecrated by the moulvi. First He sent part of the food as prasad to Mhalasapati
    and Tatya Patil and then He served the remaining contents with His own hand
    to all the poor and helpless people to their hearts' content. Really blessed and
    fortunate must be those people who got food prepared by Baba and served by Him.

Somebody may raise a doubt here and ask - "Did Baba distribute vegetable and
    animal food as prasad alike to all His devotees?" The answer is plain and simple.
    Those who were accustomed to (take) animal food were given food from the Handi
    as prasad and those who were not so accustomed, were not allowed to touch it.
    He never created in them any wish or desire to indulge in this food. There is a
    principle well established that when a Guru himself gives anything as prasad,
    the disciple who thinks and doubts whether it is acceptable or otherwise, goes
    to peridition. In order to see how any disciple has imbibed this principle, Baba
    at times proposed tests. For instance, on an Ekadashi day He gave some rupees
    to Dada Kelkar and asked him to go in person to Koralha to get mutton from there.
    This Dada Kelkar was an orthodox Brahmin and kept all orthodox manners in his life.
    He knew that offering wealth, grain and clothes etc., to a Sad-guru was not enough
    but that implicit obedience to and prompt compliance with His order was the real
    Dakshina that pleased Him most. So Dada Kelkar dressed himself and started for
     the place. Then Baba called him back and said, "Don't go yourself, but send
    somebody." Then Dada sent servant Pandu for the purpose. Seeing him starting,
    Baba asked Dada to call him back and cancelled that programme. On another
    occation Baba asked Dada just to see how the saltish `Pulava' (mutton dish)
    was done. The latter said casually and formally that it was alright. Then Baba
    said to him - "Neither you have seen it with your eyes, nor tasted in with your
    tongue, then how could you say that it was good? Just take out the lid and see.
    " Saying this Baba caught his arm and thrust it into the pot and added, "Draw out
    your arm and taking a ladle, put some quantity in the dish without caring for your
    orthodoxy and without blustering." When a wave of real love rises in a mother's
    mind, she pinches her child with her hand and when it begins to cry and shout,
    she hugs it close to her bosom. Similarly Baba, in a true motherly way pinched
    Dada Kelkar in this fashion. Really no saint or guru will ever force his orthodox
    disciple to eat forbidden food and defile himself thereby.

The Handi business went on for some time till 1910 and was stopped thereafter.
    As stated before, Das Ganu spread the fame of Baba by his kirtans far and wide
    in the Bombay Presidency and people from that part of the country began to
    flock to Shirdi, which became in a few days a place of pilgrimage. The devotees
    brought with them various articles for presentation and offered various dishes
    of food as naivedya. The quantity of naivedya offered by them was so much
    that the fakirs and paupers could feed themselves to their hearts' content,
    leaving some surplus behind. Before stating how naivedya was distributed,
    we shall refer to Nanasaheb Chandorkar's story showing Baba's regard and
    respect for local Shrines and deities. 

JAI SAI RAM !!!

Offline ShAivI

• Members
    • Blessings 56
    « Reply #129 on: September 14, 2014, 03:24:49 AM »
  • Publish
  • OM SAI RAM !!!

CHAPTER 39 : Part - 1

Blessed is Shirdi and blessed is Dwarkamayi where Shri Sai lived and moved
    until He took Mahasamadhi. Blessed are the people of Shirdi whom He obliged
    and for whom He came such long distance. Shirdi was a small village first,
    but it attained great importance, on account of His contact and became
    a Tirtha, holy place of pilgrimage. Equally blessed are the womenfolk of Shirdi,
    blessed is their whole and undivided faith in Him. They sang the glories
    of Baba while bathing, grinding, pounding corn and doing other house-hold
    work. Blessed is their love, for they sang sweet songs which calm and pacify
    the minds of the singers and listeners.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 03:31:41 AM by ShAivI »

JAI SAI RAM !!!

Offline ShAivI

• Members
    • Blessings 56
    « Reply #130 on: September 14, 2014, 03:31:06 AM »
  • Publish
  • OM SAI RAM !!!

CHAPTER 39 : Part - 2

Nobody believed that Baba knew Sanskrit. One day He surprised all by giving
    a good interpretation of a verse from the Gita to Nanasaheb Chandorkar.
    A brief account about this matter was written by Mr.B.V.Deo, Retired Mamlatdar
    and published in Marathi in 'Shri Sai Leela' magazine, Vol IV. Sphuta Vishaya,
    page 563. Short accounts of the same are also published in 'Sai Baba's Charters
    and Sayings' page 61 and in 'The Wondrous Saint Sai Baba', page 36 - both
    by Brother B.V.Narsimhaswami. Mr.B.V.Deo has also given an English version of
    this in his statement dated 27-9-1936 and published on page 66 of "Devotees'
    Experiences, Part III" published by the said Swami. As Mr.Deo has got first hand
    information about this Subject from Nanasaheb himself we give below his version.

Nanasaheb Chandorkar was a good student of Vedanta. He had read Gita with
    commentaries and prided himself on his knowledge of all that. He fancied that
    Baba knew nothing of all this or of Sanskrit. So, Baba one day pricked the bubble.
    These were the days before crowds flocked to Baba, when Baba had solitary
    talks at the Mosque with such devotees. Nana was sitting near Baba and massaging
    His Legs and muttering something.

Baba - Nana, what are you mumbling yourself?

Nana - Iam reciting a shloka (verse) from Sanskrit.

Baba - What shloka?

Nana - From Bhagawad-Gita

Baba - Utter it loudly.

Nana then recited B.G.IV-34 which is as follows :-

'Tadviddhi Pranipatena Pariprashnena Sevaya,
    Upadekshyanti Te Jnanam Jnaninastattwadarshinah'

Baba - Nana, do you understand it?

Nana - Yes.

Baba - If you do, then tell me.

Nana - It means this - "Making Sashtanga Namaskar, i.e., prostration,
    questioning the guru, serving him, learn what this Jnana is. Then,
    those Jnanis that have attained the real knowledge of the Sad-Vastu
    (Brahma) will give you upadesha (instruction) of Jnana."

Baba - Nana, I do not want this sort of collected purport of the whole
    stanza. Give me each word, its grammatical force and meaning.

Then Nana explained it word by word.

Baba - Nana, is it enough to make prostration merely ?

Nana - I do not know any other meaning for the word 'pranipata'
    than 'making prostration'.

Baba - What is 'pariprashna'?

Nana - Asking questions.

baba - What does 'Prashna' mean?

Nana - The same (questioning).

Baba - If 'pariprashna' means the same as prashna (question),
    why did Vyasa add the prefix 'pari'? Was Vyasa off his head?

Nana - I do not know of any other meaning for the word 'pariprashna'.

Baba - 'Seva', what sort of 'seva' is meant?

Nana - Just what we are doing always

Baba - Is it enough to render such service?

Nana - I do not know what more is signified by the word 'seva'.

Baba - In the next line "upadekshyanti te jnanam", can you so read it as
    to read any other word in lieu of Jnanam?

Nana - Yes.

Baba - What word?

Nana - Ajnanam.

Baba - Taking that word (instead of Jnana) is any meaning made out of the verse?

Nana - No, Shankara Bhashya gives no such construction.

Baba - Never mind if it does not. Is there any objection to using the word
    "Ajnana" if it gives a better sense?

Nana - I do not understand how to construe by placing "Ajnana" in it.

Baba - Why does Krishna refer Arjuna to Jnanis or Tattwadarshis to do his
    prostration, interrogation and service? Was not Krishna a Tattwadarshi,
    in fact Jnana himself.

Nana - Yes He was. But I do not make out why he referred Arjuna to Jnanis?

Baba - Have you not understood this?

Nana was humiliated. His pride was knocked on the head. Then Baba began to explain -

(1) It is not enough merely to prostrate before the Jnanis.
    We must make Sarvaswa Sharangati (complete surrender)
    to the Sad-guru.

(2) Mere questioning is not enough. The question must not be
    made with any improper motive or attitude or to trap the Guru
    and catch at mistakes in the answer, or out of idle curiosity.
    It must be serious and with a view to achieve moksha or spiritual progress.

(3) Seva is not rendering service, retaining still the feeling that one is
    free to offer or refuse service. One must feel that he is not the master
    of the body, that the body is Guru's and exists merely to render service to him.

If this is done, the Sad-guru will show you what the Janna referred
    to in the previous stanza is.

Nana did not understand what is meant by saying that a guru teaches ajnana.

Baba - How is Jnana Upadesh, i.e., imparting of realization to be effected?
    Destroying ignorance is Jnana. (cf. Verse-Ovi-1396 of Jnaneshwari commenting
    on Gita 18-66 says - "removal of ignorance is like this, Oh Arjuna, If dream
    and sleep disappear, you are yourself. It is like that." Also Ovi 83 on Gita V-16 says -
    "Is there anything different or independent in Jnana besides the destruction
    of ignornace?")* Expelling darkness means light. Destroying duality (dwaita)
    means non-duality (adwaita). Whenever we speak of destroying Dwaita,
    we speak of Adwaita. Whenever we talk of destroying darkness, we talk of light.
    If we have to realise the Adwaita state, the feeling of Dwaita in ourselves has
    to be removed. That is the realization of the Adwaita state. Who can speak of
    Adwaita while remaining in Dwaita? If one did, unless one gets into that state,
    how can one know it and realise it?

Again, the Shishya (disciple) like the Sad-guru is really embodiment of Jnana.
    The difference between the two lies in the attitude, high realization, marvellous
    super-human Sattva (beingness) and unrivalled capacity and Aishwarya Yoga
    (divine powers). The Sad-guru is Nirguna, Sat-Chit-Ananda. He has indeed taken
    human form to elevate mankind and raise the world. But his real Nirguna nature
    is not destroyed thereby, even a bit. His beingness (or reality), divine power
    and widsom remain undiminished. The disciple also is in fact of the same swarupa.
    But, it is overlaid by the effect of the samaskaras of innumerable births in the
    shape of ignorance, which hides from his view that he is Shuddha Chaitanya
    (see B.G. Ch. V-15). As stated therein, he gets the impressions - "Iam Jiva,
    a creature, humble and poor." The Guru has to root out these offshoots of ignorance a
    nd has to give upadesh or instruction. To the disciple, held spell-bound for endless
    generations by the ideas of his being a creature, humble and poor, the Guru imparts
    in hundreds of births the teaching - "You are God, you are mighty and opulent."
    Then, he realizes a bit that he is God really. The perpetual delusion under which
    the disciple is labouring, that he is the body, that he is a creature (jiva) or ego,
    that God (Paramatma) and the world are different from him, is an error inherited
    from innumerable past births. From actions based on it, he has derived his joy,
    sorrows and mixtures of both. To remove this delusion, this error, this root ignorance,
    he must start the inquiry. How did the ignorance arise? Where is it? And to show
    him this is called the Guru's upadesh. The following are the instances of Ajnana :-

1 - I am a Jiva (creature)

2 - Body is the soul (I am the body).

3 - God, world and Jiva are different.

4 - I am not God.

5 - Not knowing, that body is not the soul.

6 - Not knowing that God, world and Jiva are one.

Unless these errors are exposed to his view, the disciple cannot learn
    what is God, jiva, world, body; how they are inter-related and whether
    they are different from each other, or are one and the same. To teach him
    these and destroy his ignorance is this instruction in Jnana or Ajnana.

Why should Jnana be imparted to the jiva, (who is) a Jnanamurti?
    Upadesh is merely to show him his error and destroy his ignorance.

Baba added :-
    (1) Pranipata implies surrender.
    (2) Surrender must be of body, mind and wealth;

Re: (3) Why should Krishna refer Arjuna to other Jnanis? "Sadbhakta takes
    every thing to be Vasudev (B.G.VII-19 i.e., any Guru will be Krishna to the
    devotee) and Guru takes disciple to be Vasudev and Krishna treats both as
    his Prana and Atma (B.G.7-18, commentary of Jnanadev on this). As Shri Krishna
    knows that there are such Bhaktas and Gurus, He refers Arjuna to them so that
    their greatness may increase and be known.

JAI SAI RAM !!!

Offline ShAivI

• Members
    • Blessings 56
    « Reply #131 on: September 15, 2014, 05:39:49 AM »
  • Publish
  • OM SAI RAM !!!

CHAPTER 40 

Blessed is Shri Sai Samartha who gives instructions in both temporal
    and spiritual matters to His devotees and makes them happy by enabling
    them to achieve the goal of their life, - Sai He who when places His hand
    on their heads transfers His powers to them and thus destroying the sense
    of differentiation, makes them attain the Unattainable Thing. - He who
    embraces the Bhaktas who prostrate themselves before Him with no sense of
    duality or difference. He becomes one with the Bhaktas as the sea with the
    rivers when they meet it in the rainy season and gives them His power and
    position. It follows from this that he who sings the Leelas of God's Bhaktas
    is equally or more dear to Him than one who sangs the Leelas of God only.
    Now to revert to the stories of this chapter.

Mr.B.V.Deo was a Mamlatdar at Dahanu (Thana District). His mother had
    observed 25 or 30 different vows and a Udyapan (concluding) ceremony in
    connection therewith was to be performed. This ceremony included the feeding
    of 100 or 200 Brahmins. Mr.Deo fixed a date for the ceremony and wrote a letter
    to Bapusaheb Jog asking him to request Sai Baba on his behalf to attend the
    dinner of the ceremony, as without His attendance the ceremony would not be
    duly completed. Bapusaheb Jog read out the letter to Baba. Baba noted carefully
    the pure-hearted invitation and said - "I always think of him who remembers Me.
    I require no conveyance, carriage, tanga, nor train nor aeroplane. I run and
    manifest myself to him who lovingly calls me. Write to him a pleasing reply that
    three of us (the trio), Myself, yourself and a third will go and attend it." Mr.Jog informed
    Mr.Deo of what Baba said. The latter was much pleased, but he knew that Baba never
    went to any place except Rahata, Rui and Nimgaon in person. He also thought that
    nothing was impossible to Baba as He was all-pervading and that He might suddenly
    come, in any form He likes and fulfill His words.

A few days before this, a Sannyasi with Bengali dress and professing to work
    for the cause of the protection of the cows, came to the station-master at Dahanu
    to collect subscriptions. The latter told him to go into the town and see the Mamlatdar
    (Mr.Deo) and with his help collect funds. Just then the Mamlatdar happened to come
    there. The station-master then introduced the Sannyasi to him. Both sat talking on
    the platform. Mr.Deo told him that a subscription-list for some other charitable cause
    had already been opened by the leading citizen Rao Saheb Narottam Shetti and so
    it was not good to start another subscription-list and that it would be better if he
    would visit the place after 2 or 4 months. Hearing this, the Sannyasi left the place.

About a month afterwards, the Sannyasi came in a tanga and stopped in front of
    Mr.Deo's house at about 10 a.m. Deo thought that he came for subscriptions.
    Seeing him busy with the preparations of the ceremony, the Sannyasi said that
    he had come not for money but for meals. Deo said - "Alright, very glad, you are
    welcome, the house is yours." The Sannyasi - "Two lads are with me."
     Deo - "Well, come with them." As there was time (2 hours) for dinner,
    Deo enquired where he should send for them. He said that it was not necessary
    as he would come himself at the appointed time. Deo asked him to come at noon.
    Exactly at twelve noon, the Trio came and joined the dinner party and after feeding
    themselves went away.

After the ceremony was finished, Deo wrote a letter to Bapusaheb Jog complaining
    of Baba's breach of promise. Jog went to Baba with the letter, but before it was
    opened Baba spoke - "Ah, he says that I promised him to come but deceived him.
    Inform him that I did attend his dinner with two others, but he failed to recognize
    Me. Then why did he call me at all? Tell him that he thought that the Sannyasi came
    to ask for subscription money; did I not remove his doubt in that respect and did
    I not say that I would come with two others, and did not the Trio come in time and
    take their meals? See, to keep My words I would sacrifice my life, I would never be
    untrue to My words." This reply gladdened Jog's heart and he communicated the
    whole of the reply to Deo. As soon as he read it, he burst into tears of joy, but he
     took himself to task mentally for vainly blaming Baba. He wondered how he was
    deceived by the Sannyasi's prior visit and his coming to him for subscriptions,
    how he also failed to catch the significance of the Sannyasi's words that he would
    come with two others for meals.

This story clearly shows that when the devotees surrender themselves completely
    to their Sad-guru, He sees that the religious functions in their houses are duly
    executed and complied with all the necessary formalities.

JAI SAI RAM !!!

Offline ShAivI

• Members
    • Blessings 56
    « Reply #132 on: September 17, 2014, 04:22:45 AM »
  • Publish
  • OM SAI RAM !!!

CHAPTER 41 : Part - 1 

Nine years after the occurrence of the incident depicted in the last chapter,
    Ali Mahomed saw Hemadpant and related to him the following story.

One day while wandering in the streets of Bombay he bought the picture
    from a street-hawker; then he framed and set it on a wall in his house at
    Bandra (suburb of Bombay). As he loved Baba, he daily took darshana of it.
    Three months before he gave the picture to Hemadpant, he was suffering
    from an abscess or swelling on his leg for which an operation was performed
    and he was convalescing in the house of his brother-in-law, Mr. Noor-Mahomed Peerbhoy
    in Bombay. For three months his house in Bandra was closed; and nobody was
    living there. Only the pictures of the famous Baba Abdul Rahiman, Moulanasaheb
    Mahomed Hussain, Baba Sai, Baba Tajudin and other saints (living) were there.
    The wheel of time did not even spare these. He was lying sick and suffering in
    Bombay. Why should the pictures suffer there (in Bandra)? It seems that they have
    also their ins and outs (births and deaths). All the pictures met their fate, but how
    Sai Baba's picture escaped it, nobody had been able to explain to me up till now.
    It shows the all-pervasiveness, omnipresence of Sai and His insrutable power.

He got a small picture of Saint Baba Abdul Rahiman from Mahomed Hussain Thariyatopan
    many years ago. He gave it to his brother-in-law, Noor-Mahomed Peerbhoy and it was
     lying on his table for eight years. Once the latter saw it, took it to a photographer
    and got it enlarged to life-size and distributed copies of the same amongst his relations
    and friends, including Ali Mahomed who fixed it up in his Bandra house. Noor-Mahomed
    was a disciple of Saint Abdul Rahiman and when he went to present the picture to his
    Guru in an open darbar held by him, the Guru got wild and ran to beat him, and drove
    him out. He felt very sorry and dejected. He thought that he lost so much of his money,
    and incurred his Guru's displeasure and anger. As his Guru did not like image-worship,
    he took the enlarged picture with him to the Appollo Bunder and, after hiring a boat,
    went in it and drowned it in the sea. He requested the friends and relations to return
    their copies and after getting them (6 in all) back, had them thrown by a fisherman
    in the Bandra sea. At this time Ali Mahomed was in his brother-in-law's house. He was
    told by him that his suffering would come to an end if he would soon drown the pictures
    of the saints in the sea. Hearing this, Ali Mahomed sent his Mehta (Manager) to his
    Bandra house and got all the pictures of the saints in his house thrown into the sea.

When Ali Mahomed returned home after two months, he was surprised to find Baba's
    picture on the wall as before. He did not understand how his Mehta took away all the
    pictures except this. He immediately took it out and kept it in his cupboard, fearing that if
    his brother-in-law saw it, he would do away with it. While he was thanking how it should
    be disposed of, and who would keep it and guard it well, Sai Baba Himself as it were,
    suggested to him that he should see and consult Moulana Ismu Mujavar and abide by
    his opinion. He saw the Moulana and told him everything. After mature consideration they
    both decided that the picture should be presented to Annasaheb (Hemadpant) and that
    he would protect it well. Then they both went to Hemadpant and presented the picture
    in the nick of time.

This story shows how Baba knew all the past, present and future, and how skillfully
    He pulled the wires and fulfilled desired of His devotees. The following story shows
    that Baba liked very much those persons who took real interest in matters spiritual
    and that He removed all their difficulties and made them happy.

JAI SAI RAM !!!

Offline ShAivI

• Members
    • Blessings 56
    « Reply #133 on: September 18, 2014, 06:21:58 AM »
  • Publish
  • OM SAI RAM !!!

CHAPTER 41 : Part - 2 

Mr.B.V.Deo who was Mamlatdar of Dahanu (Thana District) wished for a
    long time to read Jnaneshwari - (the well-known Marathi commentary on
    the Bhagawad-Gita by Jnaneshwar), along with other scriptures. He could
    read daily one chapter of the Bhagawad-Gita, and some portion of other
    books; but when he took Jnaneshwari in hand, some difficulties cropped up
    and he was precluded from reading it. He took three months' leave, went
    to Shirdi and thence to his home at Pound for rest. He could read there other
    books but when he opened Jnaneshwari, some evil or stray thoughts came
    crowding in his mind and stopped him in the effort. Try however he might,
    he was not able to read even a few lines of the book with ease. So he
    resolved in his mind that when Baba would create love for the book and
    would order him to read it, he would begin and not till then. Then in the month
    of February 1914 he went with his family to Shirdi. There Jog asked him whether
    he daily read Jnaneshwari. Deo said that he was desirous of reading it, but
    he was not successful and that only when Baba would order him to read it,
    he would commence. Jog then advised him to take a copy of the book and
    present it to Baba and to start the reading after it was consecrated and
    returned by Him. Deo then replied that he did not want to resort to this device,
    as Baba knows his heart. Would He not know his desire and satisfy it by
    giving him a clear order to read?

Deo then saw Baba and offered one rupee as Dakshina. Baba asked for Rs. 20/-
    which he gave. At night, he saw one Balakram and enquired how he secured
    Baba's devotion and grace. Balakram told him that he would communicate
    everything next day after arati. When Deo went for darshana next day, Baba
    asked for Rs.20/- which he gave willingly. As the Masjid was crowded, Deo
    went aside and sat in a corner. Baba asked him to come close and sit with a
    calm mind, which Deo did. Then after the noon-arati was over and after the
    men dispersed, Deo saw again Balakram and asked him his previous history,
    what Baba told him and how he was taught meditation. Balakram was going
    to reply when Baba sent one Chandru, a leper devotee to call Deo to Him.
    When Deo went to Baba, the latter asked him when and with whom and what
    he was talking. He said that he talked with Balakram and heard from him His fame.
    Then Baba asked again Rs.25/- as Dakshina which Deo gladly gave. Then Baba
    took him inside and sitting near the post charged him saying - "You stole away
    My rags without My knowledge." Deo denied all knowledge of the rags, but Baba
    asked him to make a search. He searched but found none. Then Baba got angry
    and said - "There is nobody here, you are the only thief, so grey-haired and old,
    you came here for stealing." After this Baba lost His temper, got terribly wild,
    gave all sorts of abuses and scoldings. Deo remained silent and watching, and
    thought that he might get a beating also. After about an hour or so, Baba asked
    him to go to the Wada. He returned to the Wada and told Jog and Balakram all
    that had happened. Then in the after-noon Baba sent for all and Deo also, and
    said that His words might have pained the old man (Deo) but as he committed
    the theft, He could not but speak out. Then Baba asked again for Rs. 12/- Deo
    collected the amount, paid it and prostrated himself before Him. Then Baba said
    to him - "What are you doing?" "Nothing" replied Deo. Then Baba - "Go on daily
    reading the Pothi (Jnaneshwari), go and sit in the Wada, read something regularly
    every day and while reading, explain the portion read, to all with love and devotion.
    I am sitting here ready to give you the whole gold-embroidered Shella (valuable cloth),
    then why go to others to steal rags, and why should you get into the habit of stealing?"

Deo was much pleased to hear the words of Baba, for He asked him to start reading
    Pothi (Jnaneshwari). He thought that he got what he wanted and that he could
    read the book with ease thenceforth. He again prostrated himself before Baba and
    said that he surrendered himself to Him and that he should be treated as a child
    and be helped in his reading. He realized then what Baba meant by 'stealing the rags'.
    What he asked Balakram constituted the 'rags' and Baba did not like his behaviour in
    this respect. As He was ready to answer any question, He did not like him to ask others
    and make unnecessary enquiries and therefore He harassed and scolded him. Deo thought
    that He really did not 'harass and scold' him but taught that He was ready to fulfill his
    desires, and there was no use asking others in vain. Deo took these scoldings as flowers
    and blessings and went home satisfied and contented.

The matter did not end here. Baba did not stop with only issuing an order to read.
    Within a year He went to Deo and enquired about his progress. On 2nd April 1914,
    on Thursday morn, Baba gave him a dream-vision. He sat on the upper floor and
    asked him whether he understood the Pothi. "No" answered Deo. Baba - "Then when
    are you going to understand?" Deo burst into tears and said, "Unless You shower
    Your grace, the reading is mere worry and the understanding is still more difficult.
    I say this definitely." Baba - "While reading you make haste, read it before Me, in
    My presence." Deo - "What shall I read?" Baba - "Read Adhyatma (spiritualism)."
    Deo went to bring the book when he opened his eyes and was awakened.
    We leave the readers to imagine what ineffable joy and bliss Deo felt after
    this vision.

JAI SAI RAM !!!

Offline ShAivI

• Members
    • Blessings 56
    « Reply #134 on: September 19, 2014, 05:59:45 AM »
  • Publish
  • OM SAI RAM !!!

CHAPTER 42 : Part - 1 

The stories given in the previous chapter have shown that the light of
    Guru's grace removes out fear of the mundane existence, opens the path
    of salvation and turns our misery into happiness. If we always remember
    the feet of the Sad-guru, our troubles come to an end, death loses its sting
    and the misery of this mundane existence is obliterated. Therefore those
    who care for their welfare should carefully listen to these stories of Sai Samarth,
    which will purify their minds.

The readers up till now heard the stories of Baba's life. Let them now hear
    attentively Baba's Passing away. Baba got a slight attack of fever on
    28th September, 1918. The fever lasted for 2 or 3 days, but afterwards Baba
    gave up his food and thereby He grew weaker and weaker. On the 17th day,
    i.e., Tuesday, the 15th October 1918, Baba left His mortal coil at about 2-30 p.m.
    (Vide Professor G.G. Narke's letter, dated 5th November 1918, to Dadasaheb Khaparde,
    published in "Sai Leela" magazine, Page 78, first year). Two years before this,
    i.e., in 1916, Baba gave an indication of His Passing away, but nobody understood
    it then. It was as follows:- On the Vijayadashmi (Dasara) day Baba at once got into
    wild rage in the evening when people were returning from 'Seemollanghan'
    (crossing the border or limits of the village). Taking off His head-dress, kafni and
    langota etc., He tore them and threw them in the Dhuni before Him. Fed by this
    offering, the fire in the Dhuni began to burn brighter and Baba shone still brighter.
    He stood there stark naked and with His burning red eyes shouted - "You fellows,
    now have a look and decide finally whether Iam a Moslem or a Hindu." Everybody
    was trembling with fear and none dared to approach Baba. After some time
    Bhagoji Shinde, the leper devotee of Baba, went boldly near Him and succeeded
    in tying a langota (waist-band) round His waist and said - "Baba, what is all this?
    To-day is the Seemollanghan, i.e., Dasara Holiday." Baba striking the ground with
    His satka said - "This is my Seemollanghan (crossing the border)." Baba did not
    cool down till 11-00 p.m. and the people doubted whether the chavadi procession
    would ever take place that night. After an hour Baba resumed His normal condition
    and dressing Himself as usual attended the chavadi procession as described before.
    By this incident Baba gave a suggestion that Dasara was the proper time for Him
    to cross the border of life, but none understood its meaning. Baba gave also
    another indication as follows:- 

Some time after this, Ramachandra Patil became scriously ill. He suffered a lot.
    He tried all remedies, but finding no relief, despaired of his life and was waiting
    for the last moment. The one midnight Baba suddenly stood near his pillow.
    Patil held His Feet and said - "I have lost all hopes of life, please tell me definitely
    when I shall die." Merciful Baba said - "Don't be anxious, your hundi (death-warrant)
    has been withdrawn and you will soon recover, but Iam afraid of Tatya Patil.
    He will pass away on Vijayadashami of Shaka 1840 (1918 A.D.). Do not divulge
    this to anybody, nor to him, for he will be terribly frightened." Ramachandra Dada
    got well, but he felt nervous about Tatya's life, for he knew that Baba's word was
    unalterable, and that Tatya would breathe his last within two years. He kept this hint
    secret, told it to none but one Bala Shimpi (a tailor). Only these two persons -
    Ramachandra Dada and Bala Shimpi were in fear and suspense regarding
    Tatya's life.

JAI SAI RAM !!!

Facebook Comments