Join Sai Baba Announcement List

DOWNLOAD SAMARPAN - Nov 2018

Author Topic: Moral Stories  (Read 173051 times)

Offline SS91

• Members
  • Blessings 37
  • OM SHRI SAI NATHAYA NAMAHA
    • Sai Baba
Re: Moral Stories
« Reply #60 on: December 15, 2008, 03:02:51 PM »
  • Publish
  •  

Buying a good horse

There was a king who was willing to pay a thousand pieces of gold for a horse that could run a thousand mile without stopping. For three years he tried in vain to find such a steed.

Then someone offered Let me look for a horse for Your Majesty.

The king agreed to this.

After three months this man came back, having spent five hundred pieces of gold on a horse's skull.

The king was most enraged.

I want a live horse he roared. What use is a dead horse to me ? Why spend five hundred pieces of gold on nothing ?

But the man replied if you will spend five hundred pieces of gold on a dead horse, won't you give much more for a live one? When people hear of this, they will know you are really willing to pay for a good horse, and will quickly send you their best.

Sure enough, in less than a year the king succeeded in buying three excellent horses.

in vain
     If you do something in vain, you are critical of their extreme pride in their own beauty, intelligence, or other good qualities.

A Person, who has controlled his mind, can achieve any success in his life. How far you are trying to control your mind?
    The mind that judges not others ever remains tension-free.
    http://lh5.ggpht.com/_lOgd1uS-wX0/TCOlFNMxIBI/AAAAAAAAE88/GpxUgxnwioE/why_fear_when_i_am_here.jpg

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #61 on: December 17, 2008, 01:08:50 PM »
  • Publish
  • Frog and Toad

A toad and a frog were sitting on the front stoop criticizing each others looks.

Each thought himself beautiful and the other ugly.

While they were posturing, a girl happened by and was disgusted by both.

"Yeaccchh!!" she screamed, and she stomped on each and ran away.

A Person, who has controlled his mind, can achieve any success in his life. How far you are trying to control your mind?
    http://lh5.ggpht.com/_lOgd1uS-wX0/TCOlFNMxIBI/AAAAAAAAE88/GpxUgxnwioE/why_fear_when_i_am_here.jpg

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #62 on: December 18, 2008, 11:23:24 AM »
  • Publish
  • :)  FRIEND TURNS ENEMY:

Ganga Dutt was the king of Frogs, their kingdom being the huge stone well in the forest. He had grown old with time and got all his children married off within the community.

As he grew older, his son-in-laws held a meeting and decided to overthrow him. They even challenged him to fight them one by one.

For Ganga Dutt it was a matter of honor and he took up the challenge. But he had grown weak with age and all his years of experience were useless. They beat him up until he had to leave the well-his kingdom, and run a way.

As he rested after going some distance, his body ached with pain but his mind was as sharp as ever. He remembered the lesson his father had taught him," To beat a strong enemy make friends with a strong one". So he looked around for someone who would assist him in his fight.

Suddenly he saw a huge old black snake sunning himself near his hole. He hit upon the idea of seeking his help and approached him with folded hands. "O mighty Cobra!" He pleaded, " I have come to be your friend."

Now the cobra was also very old and experienced. He peered at the strange creature before him and decided, 'He belongs to another species and seeks friendship for selfish reasons'. Loudly he asked,  "Who are you? Why have you come to be my friend?"

The Frog said, " Dear friend, I am a frog King and I have been run out of my kingdom by my enemies as I have grown old and weak. The life of my son and wife are in danger and I seek your help."

"How can I help you Frog King?" asked the snake.

"Please come with me and eat all the frogs I point out. Thus my enemies will be finished and I can reign in peace" said Ganga Dutt.

The snake considered this offer. He had also grown old and could not catch bigger prey and it would be a comfort not be hungry for a few days.

He said, " I accept your friendship, O king! Lead the way to your kingdom."

Ganga Dutt was very happy. He romped and skipped on his way to the well. As soon as the snake reached the well, the frogs were frightened and tried to run away. But Ganga Dutt pointed out the leaders and before they could escape, the snake had gobbled them up.

Now, the snake found the frog's easy prey also liked the taste. He started catching them at random and gobbled them up.

Ganga Dutt cried in vain and tried to stop him but he was hit hard by one lash of the snake's tail and lay dead.

LESSON: "Be careful of friendship with one of unknown character. It may end with your own doom."

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #63 on: December 28, 2008, 04:51:18 PM »
  • Publish
  • The story of the Monkey

Construction of a temple was on outside a town. Near the site, a huge wooden log was being split. At the lunch, the workers fixed a wedge between the split wood and went to dine. A monkey had been watching the activities of the workers since morning. When the workers were away, the monkey descended from the tree and began to meddle with that log of wood. During the play, he saw the wedge and began to withdraw it. But he forgot that his tail was hanging between the split ends of the log. As soon as the wedge was out, the split ends closed squeezing the tail of the monkey. The monkey tried hard to get himself free but in vain. No help was available nearby. By the time, the workers returned from their lunch, the monkey had died.

MORAL: Do not meddle in things that don't concern you

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #64 on: January 23, 2009, 07:42:25 PM »
  • Publish
  • UNTIMELY MUSIC:

An Ass and a jackal were good friends and lived in the forests near Telari village. Both would enter the farmer's fields silently in the night and choose the best to eat. After having their fill, they would slink away before dawn.

There were several crops of pumpkin and watermelon in the farms and whilst the Ass had a good dinner of them, the jackal would catch the numerous fat and big rodents infesting the fields. They both became stronger every day and their coats shined until the others looked on them in envy.

The other animals decided that their friendship should be rifted and made plans accordingly. Whilst the jackal slept in his lair during day and the Ass munched grass, the wolf came near him and said, " Dear Ass! I never knew that you sing so well. Your braying sounds like the Ragas of the court singer and I believe that you are an expert in all the Ragas. Today is Full Moon and we animals have to make a request. We would like to hear your music tonight."

The Ass was bloated with pride" I know that I sing very well, but it is the jackal who will not listen to any sound at night when we are in the fields."

The wolf replied, " This proves he is not your true friend and is jealous of you. However we will be there to appreciate your artful music but not visible just so that your friend is not annoyed."

Come night, both friends entered the fields of corn and melons. The moon bathed the earth in milky white and the air was scented with the smell of mahua flowers. All this created a heady combination and the Ass was suddenly inspired to sing.

He let the jackal know of his intentions to which the jackal replied, " Dear Friend! It is a fool only, who is flattered by falsities and it is an enemy who falsely flatters another. We have come here to steal our food and stealing is done silently which is of utmost importance here. How badly you sing is not a matter of dispute here, so please do the job at hand and escape. You can sing when you reach the forest."

The Ass was offended and refused to listen to reason. He again got ready to start singing.

The jackal saw that his friend was not ready to be reasonable and said, " Dear friend! It appears that my advice has agitated you, which was not my intention at all. Please do what you have to but first give me five minutes to reach the forest."

The Ass laughed at this foolish request and said, "Please leave now. I have today been made aware of true friendship. An artist can only be friends which another of similar nature. But do inform the others to be attentive as I will start singing in five minutes."

The jackal ran for life and soon the Ass started braying. The loud and harsh sound woke up the farmers who surrounded the farm. As they caught the Ass, they beat him up thoroughly and took him to the village where they used him as a beast of burden for the rest of his life.

LESSON:  ' One who flatters is not your well wisher. Ill - timed music will fetch bad results.'

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #65 on: February 11, 2009, 04:41:29 PM »
  • Publish
  • Apple Tree

A long time ago, there was a huge apple tree. A little boy loved to come and play around it everyday. He climbed to the tree top, ate the apples,took a nap under the shadow... He loved the tree and the tree loved to play with him.

Time went by... the little boy had grown up and he no longer played around the tree everyday. One day, the boy came back to the tree and he looked sad. "Come and play with me," the tree asked the boy. "I am no longer a kid, I don't play around trees anymore." The boy replied, "I want toys. I need money to buy them." "Sorry, but I don't have money...but you can pick all my apples and sell them. So, you will have money." The boy was so excited. He grabbed all the apples on the tree and left happily. The boy never came back after he picked the apples. The tree was sad.

One day, the boy returned and the tree was so excited. "Come and play with me" the tree said. "I don't have time to play. I have to work for family. We need a house for shelter. Can you help me?" "Sorry, but I don't have a house. But you can chop off my branches to build your house." So the boy cut all the branches of the tree and left happily. The tree was glad to see him happy but the boy never came back since then. The tree was again lonely and sad.

One hot summer day, the boy returned and the tree was delighted. "Come and play with me!" the tree said. "I am sad and getting old. I want to go sailing to relax myself. Can you give me a boat?" "Use my trunk to build your boat. You can sail far away and be happy." So the boy cut the tree trunk to make a boat. He went sailing and never showed up for a long time.

Finally, the boy returned after he left for so many years. "Sorry, my boy. But I don't have anything for you anymore. No more apples for you..." the tree said. "I don't have teeth to bite" the boy replied. "No more trunk for you to climb on" "I am too old for that now" the boy said. "I really can't give you anything ... the only thing left is my dying roots" the tree said with tears. "I don't need much now, just a place to rest. I am tired after all these years." The boy replied. "Good! Old tree roots is the best place to lean on and rest. Come, Come sit down with me and rest."

The boy sat down and the tree was glad and smiled with tears.......

Lesson: This is a story of everyone. The tree is our parent. No matter what, parents will always be there and give everything they could to make you happy.   

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #66 on: February 18, 2009, 01:55:27 PM »
  • Publish
  • Story of The Devoted Son

Jamadagni was a Great Rishi. He lived a pious life with his wife Renuka. One day Renuka and the rishi were making a shivalinga from clay.

Just as they were giving in the finishing touches, Renuka’s concentration was distracted by the sound of hooves. The shadow of the Kshatriya king who rode that way fell on the shivalinga.

Rishi Jamadagni who noticed the loss of concentration of his wife was enraged. He called his eldest son.

“Your mother must be killed now,” the rishi ordered. But Jamadagni’s son refused to kill her.

The rishi then called his second son. The second son wanted to know why he should kill an innocent woman who was also his mother.

Jamadagni then called his third son. “Cut off your mother’s head now,” he ordered. The third son was Parashurama. Without a word Parashurama beheaded his mother. Jamadagni was pleased. ‘Ask for two boons and it shall be yours. I am pleased with you,” said the rishi to Parashurama.

“Father”, said Parashurama, “bring mother back to life. I know not why you wanted her beheaded but let her not remember what caused her death.”

Jamadagni granted his son’s wishes. Renuka was brought back to life.

In later years Parashurama came to be known for both his valour and anger. He lost out in a battle of strength to Rama. He handed over his weapons to Rama and renounced the world.

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #67 on: February 19, 2009, 09:28:29 AM »
  • Publish
  • Story of The Cunning Mediator

A sparrow was living in the hollow of a big tree that I had made my home. His name was Kapinjala. We became good friends and used to spend our time discussing characters in our literature and the unusual things we saw in our travels. One day, my friend left the tree with other sparrows in search of food and did not return even after nightfall. I began to worry. “What happened to him? Did any hunter take him away? He never leaves my company even for a while.”

Days passed without any trace of my friend Kapinjala. One fine morning, a hare named Sighragha, came and silently occupied the hollow that my friend made his home. It did not worry me because there was no word about Kapinjala and I had lost all hopes of his return. But one day, he returned looking healthier than he was when he had left and found that the hare had taken his place.

Kapinjala told the hare, “O hare, what you have done is improper. You have displaced me. Leave the place immediately.”

Sighragha hit back saying, “What are you talking? This is my place. Haven’t you heard the elders saying that nobody has rights over a public well, a temple, a pond and a tree? Whoever enjoys land for more than ten years also becomes its owner. That needs no evidence or documents of proof. This place is not yours any more.”

The sparrow told him, “Oh, you are quoting legal scriptures! Let us go to an expert in law and ethics. We will abide by his ruling.”

The hare agreed to this proposal and both of them went in search of an expert. Curious to see what would happen, I also followed them. Meanwhile, word about their quarrel had reached a wicked and wild cat. Knowing the route that the hare and the sparrow would take, the cat set up a camp on the way. He spread a mat of grass on the ground and went into a posture of meditation. Facing the sun and raising his hands in worship, the cat began reciting scriptures,

“This world has no essence. Life is passing. All liaisons with lovers are like a dream. Your ties with the family are illusory. There is no alternative to following the right path. The learned have said,”

“This wretched body will soon perish
    Material wealth is not permanent
    Death is knocking at your door
    Free thyself from earthly chains
    He who abandons the right path
    Is the same as the living dead.”

“I will end this long discourse and tell you in a nutshell what the right path is. Doing good to others is virtue. Tormenting others is vice. This is the essence of our philosophy. I am in the service of God and have given up all desires. I will not do you any harm. After hearing your account, I will decide who among you is the rightful owner of the place in the tree. But I am now very old and cannot hear you properly. So, please come close to me and narrate your story.”

When the poor and innocent sparrow and hare came within the reach of the cat, he pounced on them and grabbed the sparrow in his teeth and slashed the body of the hare with his jaws and killed them.

Moral of the Story :

If you will choose a wicked mediator, you will destroy yourself.

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #68 on: February 20, 2009, 02:46:47 PM »
  • Publish
  • Story of The Brahmin and the crooks

Mitra Sarma was a Brahmin living in a small village. He used to daily worship Fire. It was the month of Magha (February). The sky was full of clouds and it had already started raining. Sarma left for a neighbouring village at that time to seek the gift of a sacrificial lamb from some rich man. He called on a well-to-do man in the village and requested him to make him a gift of a healthy lamb for sacrifice to Gods. The wealthy man gave him one of the well-fed lambs he had.

Carrying the lamb on his shoulders, the Brahmin began his homeward journey. Three crooks, very hungry and emaciated, crossed his path and seeing the healthy lamb on the Brahmin’s shoulders thought, “Ah, God has sent us good food. Let us trick the Brahmin into parting with it and free us from hunger and cold.” At once, they began to act.

One of them changed into a disguise, and overtaking the Brahmin by another route, stopped him and said, “O what a fool you are? Such a great worshipper of Fire, why are you carrying this dog on your shoulders? This will bring you ridicule. Don’t you know that it is a sin to touch a dog, or a rooster, or a donkey?”

The Brahmin lost his temper and said, “You stupid fellow, are you blind? Why do you call a lamb a dog?”

The first crook replied, “Don’t be angry, if you think he is not a dog, please carry on. I have no objection.”

The Brahmin hardly walked a little distance when the second crook greeted him and said,

“O respected sir, it is highly regrettable that you are carrying a dead calf on your shoulders, however dear it is to you. The man who touches dead animals or birds has to undergo purification rites.”

The Brahmin challenged him, “Are you too blind? This is a live sacrificial lamb and you say he is a dead calf.”

The second crook said, “All right, sir. Please excuse me. I am an ignorant fool. Do as it pleases you.”

Now it was the turn of the third crook to cross the Brahmin’s path.

Turning to the Brahmin, the crook said, “Sir, it is highly improper. You are carrying a donkey on your shoulders. This is not done. The elders have said he who touches a donkey, knowingly or otherwise, has to take a bath fully dressed. So, please leave him before anybody notices it.”

Thinking that he was really carrying a donkey, the poor Brahmin threw the lamb to the ground and went home.

Moral of the Story :

The learned have said that men with great common sense and a little bit of cunning can subdue stronger enemies like the tricksters who cheated the gullible Brahmin of his lamb

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #69 on: February 21, 2009, 10:02:45 AM »
  • Publish
  • Story of The Brahmin and Cobra

Haridatta was a Brahmin living in a hamlet. He was a farmer but the piece of land he cultivated gave him very little to survive. One day, unable to stand the heat of the summer sun, he went to a big tree in his land to rest for a while. Before he could spread himself on the ground he saw in the nearby anthill a huge cobra swaying with his hood open.

He thought, “This cobra must really be the Goddess of this land. I have never worshipped her, which is why I am not able to get anything from the land. From today, I will worship her.”

At once he went back to his village and returned with a glass full of milk.

He poured it in a bowl and turning to the anthill said, “O ruler of the land, I did not know you were living in this anthill. That is why I have not paid my tribute to you. Please excuse me and accept this humble offering.”

He then placed the bowl of milk at the anthill and left the place.

Next day when the Brahmin came to his land before the Sun was up, he saw a gold coin in the bowl he had left at the anthill. Henceforth, he came alone every dawn, collected the coin, offered the milk in the bowl and left. One day the Brahmin, leaving for another village on business, asked his son to go to the anthill and offer milk. When the son went the next day, he found a gold coin in the bowl.

He collected the coin and thought, “This anthill must be full of gold. If I kill the cobra, I can collect all the gold in one go instead of coming here every day.”

He then struck the cobra with a big stick. But the cobra deftly dodged the blow but stung the son to death with his poisonous fangs. Returning to his village the next day, Haridatta heard the story of his son’s death and at once realised that greed was behind it.

The Brahmin went to the anthill the day after his son’s cremation and offered milk to the cobra. Without coming out of his hole, the cobra told Haridatta,

“You have come here for gold forgetting that you had lost a son and that you were in mourning. The reason is greed, pure greed. From today, there is no meaning in our relationship. Blinded by his youth, your son has struck me and I bit him back. How can I forget that blow? How can you suffer the grief of your son’s death? Finally, I am giving you this diamond, don’t come back again.”

Moral of the Story :

It is always better to destroy the enemy before he acquires strength. Such opportunities come once in a while. If you lose it now, you will never get it back.

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #70 on: February 21, 2009, 03:56:25 PM »
  • Publish
  • Story of The Hunter and Doves

Once upon a time there lived a merciless hunter in the heart of a forest, terrorizing birds and animals. Because of his cruel nature he had no friends or relatives. The elders have said,

It is unwise to be close to
    Men who are wicked and cruel.
    Avoid such heinous persons as
    You avoid poisonous snakes.”

The hunter went out into the forest every morning with a stick and net. One day, he threw his net and trapped a female dove in it. Soon, thick and black clouds appeared in the sky and it began raining cats and dogs. Scared and shivering, the hunter looked for shelter and found it under a huge banyan tree. The rain and wind stopped suddenly. The skies became clear with stars shining. The hunter said loudly,

“If there is anyone on the tree, I seek shelter and food from him. I am hungry and may faint any moment. Please save me.”

At the same time, a dove that had his nest on the same tree was worried that his wife who had gone out had not come back. He prayed to Gods that his wife should not come to any harm in this wind and rain. He began telling himself,

“Blessed and happy is the man
    With a caring and loving wife.
    A home is not a home without a wife;
    A wifeless home is like a jungle.”

The wife trapped in the hunter’s net heard her husband’s sorrowful words and, happy that her husband loved her so much, thought,

“Don’t call her a woman
    Whose husband is unhappy;
    Where happy husbands live
    Heavens shower blessings.”

Later, addressing her husband, the female dove said, “Listen to me, my dear. Even at the cost of your life, you must come to the rescue of someone seeking shelter. This hunter is suffering from cold and hunger and has sought shelter under our tree. You must serve him with devotion. Don’t hate him because he has trapped your beloved wife. In reality, the strings of destiny have bound me. Give up all thoughts of revenge and serve the hunter with care.”

In accordance with his wife’s desire, the dove suppressed grief and told the hunter, “Sir, you are welcome to our modest home. Please let me know what I can do for you. Treat this as own home and feel free to command me.”

The hunter told the dove that he was suffering from cold and needed relief. The dove flew out, brought fire from somewhere and a lit a small fire with dry twigs and asked the hunter to warm himself.

The dove told the hunter, “Because of my past deeds, I am born poor and unfortunate and do not have enough to feed myself. What is the point in a host living if he cannot entertain a guest? It is better he renounce this world.”

Yet he thought that it was better to die than say no to a host. Determined to die, the dove told the hunter to wait for a while and that soon he will have food. Then circling over the fire, the dove jumped into the fire he lit for the benefit of the hunter.

Moved by this sacrifice, the hunter told himself, “I am responsible for this tragedy. I will no doubt go to hell. This dove is a great soul, he has shown me the right path. Hereafter, I will give up all wants and desires and slowly destroy this body. Nothing, neither cold nor sun nor wind, matters to me. I will fast and see my slow end.”

The hunter then threw his net and stick and released the female dove from the net.

The wife then saw how her husband had jumped into the fire to provide food for the hunter. She thought that life without her husband was worse than death and at once jumped into the same fire that consumed her husband. After her death, she saw her husband in the heaven wearing royal regalia.

On seeing her, the husband said, “O my darling, you have done well to follow me into the fire. Women like you live happily with their husbands for 35 million years.”

The dove couple lived happily ever after. The hunter, shunning worldly pleasures, went to a forest for realising God. As penance had cleansed him of all desires, the hunter burnt himself in a forest fire and attained nirvana.

Moral of the Story :

We should never kill a person seeking asylum.

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #71 on: February 25, 2009, 09:14:32 AM »
  • Publish
  • Story of The Old Man, His young wife and Thief

There lived an old widowed merchant in a city in the south. Though old, he did not give up his desire for another wife. Therefore, he gave lots of money to a poor merchant and married his young daughter. She never loved her old husband. One day, when the husband and wife were sleeping on different sides of the bed, a thief entered their house. Shocked by the sight of the thief, the wife embraced her husband in fear.

The husband was both thrilled and surprised by the embrace and began thinking about what made her do so. He searched every nook and corner of the house and at last found the thief lurking in a corner. He then realised that his wife had embraced him because the thief had frightened her. The husband told the thief, “My dear young man, today I had the fortune of being hugged by my wife. Thanks to you. Take away whatever you want.”

The thief replied, “My dear sir, I do not find anything in your house that I could take with me. But I will come back soon and see if there is anything to carry away. Or, you could call whenever you need love from your wife.”

Moral of the Story :

Sometime even thief could do some good for someone, if you gave asylum.

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #72 on: February 27, 2009, 02:45:12 PM »
  • Publish

• Story of Brahmin, Thief and Monster

Drona was a poor Brahmin who was living in a small town. He was so poor that he never wore good clothes, or used cosmetics, or indulged in the luxury of eating apaan (betel leaves).He had matted hair, an unshaven beard and uncut nails. He was extremely weak and emaciated because he had no cover from cold, sun or wind or rain. Taking pity on him, a rich man donated two calves to him.

With all care and love, he fed them well with butter oil and grass. The calves grew into two fine and healthy animals. A thief set his eyes on them and decided that he should somehow steal them. As he set out for the Brahmin’s house, he saw on the way an awesome figure with loose teeth as long and sharp as fangs, an arched nose and blood-red eyes. He had a lean body with varicose veins and his hair and beard looked like two torches.

Though he was frightened, the thief asked him, “Who are you, sir?”
    “I am Satyavachana, a monster. Let me know who you are.”

“I am a thief. My name is Kroorakarma. I am going to steal the calves of the Brahmin.”

The monster trusted the words of the thief and told him that he took only one meal a day in the evening and that he would kill the Brahmin for his dinner.

Both of them went to the Brahmin’s house that night and waited for the Brahmin to go to sleep. When they were sure that the Brahmin had slept, the monster stepped in to kill the poor Brahmin. The thief held him back saying it was unjust to kill the Brahmin before he (the thief) could take away the two calves.

The monster said, “If the sound of the resisting calves disturbs the sleep of the Brahmin, all our effort will be in vain.”

The thief replied, “Suppose there is some obstacle in your killing him, I cannot take the calves. Therefore, wait till I finish my job first.”

The thief and the monster began quarrelling about who should be the first to finish his job.

The Brahmin woke up due to the commotion they were making and asked them who they were and what was the matter.

The thief told him, “This monster wants to kill you.”

The monster denied and said, “O Brahmin, this thief wants to steal your calves.”

The Brahmin then invoked his deity through prayer and the power of the prayer forced the monster to flee. The Brahmin then took a stick and drove off the thief.

Moral of the Story :

If two rivals quarrel among themselves, we would be the beneficiaries

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #73 on: February 28, 2009, 03:37:22 PM »
  • Publish
  • Story of Two Snakes

Once upon a time there was a king named Devasakti. He had a son who was very weakened growing weaker by the day. It was found that he had a snake in his stomach. Experts, physicians and surgeons tried to nurse him back to health without success. Dejected, the son left his palace one night and took shelter in a lonely and dilapidated temple in another town ruled by a monarch called Bali. Every day, the son would go out to beg and return to the temple in the night.

King Bali had two daughters who came of age. Following a tradition, the two daughters would get up every dawn and touch the feet of their father in reverence.

One day, after paying respects to the king one of his daughters said, “Victory to the king. We are happy in every way.”

The second daughter said, “O king, reap the harvest of your actions.”

The king, very angry at the words of the second daughter, called his ministers and told them, “Take this foul-mouthed woman away and marry her off to some stranger. Let her reap the consequences of her actions.”

In compliance with the orders of the king, the ministers took her away and married her without pomp or ceremony to Devasakti’s son living in the old temple. The daughter considered the king’s son as God’s gift and after persuading him, left for another country.

The princess and the son of Devasakti reached a city where they camped close to a lake. She asked her husband to take care of the camp and went into the city with her maids to buy daily needs like rice, salt, butter oil and vegetables. After shopping, she returned to the lake where she saw a surprising spectacle.

The prince was sleeping, resting his head on an anthill. The serpent in his stomach came out to breathe fresh air. Then another serpent emerged from the anthill for the same reason. Both of them glared at each other.

The anthill inmate said, “You wicked creature, why do you torment such a handsome prince.”

The other serpent retorted, “Why are you polluting the two golden urns in your hole.”

Thus in their row, they revealed the secrets of each other.

The serpent in the anthill told the other serpent, “Don’t be arrogant. Who does not know the secret of your death? If the prince drinks a concoction made of gruel and mustard you will die unsung.”

“Oh, is that so? You will also perish if someone pours hot oil or hot water in your anthill. Don’t be too proud,” said the serpent in the prince’s stomach.

The princess, who heard all that passed between the two serpents, poured hot oil into the anthill and took the two golden urns and gave the mustard concoction to her husband and killed the serpent inside his stomach. Both Divyasakti’s son and his daughter-in-law returned to his kingdom and lived happily ever after.

Moral of the Story :

Where there is no co-operation, people will perish.

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #74 on: March 01, 2009, 01:01:49 PM »
  • Publish
  • Story of Three Brothers

Once upon a time, three sages, who were also brothers, chose a riverbank to do penance. Their names were Ekata, Dwita and Trita. The clothes they washed every day used to dry in the sky without a clothesline lest they should drop and become soiled. One day a kite was carrying a female frog like I (the kite) carried a female mouse.

Ekata saw this and shouted at the kite, “Leave it, Leave it.”

At once his clothes drying in the sky dropped down to the ground.

When Dwita saw this, he shouted at the kite, “Don’t leave it, Don’t leave it” and soon his clothes also came down hurtling.

When Trita saw that the clothes of his elder brothers fell down, he thought it would be better not to say anything and remained silent. That is why it is better not to notice the happenings around and concentrate on self.

Moral of the Story :

It is better not to notice the happenings around and concentrate on self.

Facebook Comments