Join Sai Baba Announcement List

DOWNLOAD SAMARPAN - Nov 2018

Author Topic: Moral Stories  (Read 173043 times)

Offline SS91

• Members
  • Blessings 37
  • OM SHRI SAI NATHAYA NAMAHA
    • Sai Baba
Re: Moral Stories
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2008, 04:40:35 PM »
  • Publish
  • The heron and the crab

Once upon a time there lived a heron by the side of a pond. It was a lazy creature and once deivsed a plan to get a supply of fish without doing much work. So one day, he went to the side of the pond and put on a gloomy face without attempting to catch any fish. The pond was also inhabited by a carb, which was wise and often helped the fish in the pond. On seeing the gloomy heron, the crab asked her what the matter was.

The heron said, "Alas! I am worried that the pond is going to be soon devoid of any fish, which are in turn my source of food. I overheard a group of fishermen talking about catching all the fish in this pond. But I know of a pond somewhat far away, where all the fish shall be safe. If the fish are interested, i can carry a few each day to the other pond where they will be safe."

All the fish were eager to make use of the heron in reaching a safer destination. So everyday some of the them volunteer to go with the heron. The heron took some fish each day in the beak, and on reaching a large rock used to eat all the fish up and leave the bones of the fish at the rock. So she was able to get a continuos supply of fish at no effort at all. In the end, the curiosity got the better of the crab, and one day it volunteered to go with the fish. When it had gone closer to the rock, it realised the foul play the heron had been playing on the poor fish. Enraged, it tightened its claws around the neck of the heron and snapped the head of the heron off. The heron this died a selfish death. The crab crept back to the pond and told all the fish about the lies the heron had been telling.

MORAL: Excess of Greed is harmful.

A Person, who has controlled his mind, can achieve any success in his life. How far you are trying to control your mind?
    The mind that judges not others ever remains tension-free.
    http://lh5.ggpht.com/_lOgd1uS-wX0/TCOlFNMxIBI/AAAAAAAAE88/GpxUgxnwioE/why_fear_when_i_am_here.jpg

Offline Ramesh Ramnani

• Blessings 60
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #16 on: February 23, 2008, 07:22:39 AM »
  • Publish

• जय सांई राम।।।

A person sitting by the roadside may look like a beggar, but if you look carefully there is an emperor hidden within him. ... Because if you look at the emperors carefully you will find beggars within them. They go on asking for more.

There was a Mohammedan fakir named Farid. The people of his village asked him to request the emperor Akbar to open a school in the village, as Akbar had great regard for him. Farid had never asked Akbar for anything. A fakir never asks, the fakir always gives. But since the people of the village had insisted on his seeing Akbar he could not refuse them, so he went. He had never visited the palace before this, but now he had to go.

He arrived there quite early in the morning and was told that the emperor was praying in his personal mosque. So Farid went and stood at the back. Akbar did not know this. He completed his prayer, raised his hands towards the sky, and said, "Oh God! Whatever you have given me is not enough, I want much more than this. Please make my kingdom much bigger than this. Please increase my wealth and my fame."

Farid just could not believe his ears. The great Emperor Akbar, who had such a vast kingdom, was still asking for more. He was still begging! So Farid thought, how could he ask from a person who is still asking for more? -- because opening a school means spending some money, he will have that much less.

अपना सांई प्यारा सांई सबसे न्यारा अपना सांई

ॐ सांई राम।।।
    अपना साँई प्यारा साँई सबसे न्यारा अपना साँई - रमेश रमनानी

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #17 on: February 24, 2008, 11:12:17 AM »
  • Publish
  • The crows and the serpent

Once upon a time there lived a crow couple, who had built a nest on the top of a tree. But unfortunately the tree was inhabited by a serpent at its bottom. So the serpent used to crawl up the tree and eat all the eggs that the lady crow used to lay. The crow couple were deeply grieved and when this happened time after time, then they decided that the serpent was to be get rid of by a plan.

So the crow then approached his friend the jackal and asked for a plan. The jackal then told him to go and fetch a costly thing from the palace of the king and throw the thing in the burrow of the snake. The crow went to palace, and stole a necklace of the queen while she was bathing. The gaurds of the palace ran after it. The crow then dropped the necklace in the burrow of the snake beneath the tree.

The gaurds on reaching the bottom of the tree, found the necklace gaurded by the serpent. Then they lynched the serpent and recovered the necklace. So the crow family was now happy that their eggs were safe now.

MORAL: Wit can achieve anything.
    A Person, who has controlled his mind, can achieve any success in his life. How far you are trying to control your mind?
    http://lh5.ggpht.com/_lOgd1uS-wX0/TCOlFNMxIBI/AAAAAAAAE88/GpxUgxnwioE/why_fear_when_i_am_here.jpg

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #18 on: March 15, 2008, 04:22:06 PM »
  • Publish
  • The swan and the owl

Once upon a time there lived a swan who used to spend time in various playful activites on a lake. Once an owl visited him in the forest and requested him to be friends, after praising the swan a lot. The swan agreed to be friends with him and they used to spend time near the lake a lot of days.

But the owl soon got bored of the place and told the swan, "I am going back to my home in the Lotus wood, and if you ever want to visit me you can visit me there." The swan, after many days once decided to pay a visit to the owl in the Lotus wood. On reaching Lotus wood, it could not find the owl, which was hiding in the dark hole. The owl asked the swan to take rest till daylight was over and told him that he could come out only at night. The swan decided to take rest.

It so happened that a group of merchants were passing by the next day early morning. The merchants chanted some hymns, and to that the owl replied with a hoot. Thinking that this was a bad omen, the merchants then decided to shoot the owl down. But in the meantime the owl had fled and taken refuge in a nearby hole near the shore of the lake. But the swan did not move. The arrow from the merchants came and hit the swan and it was killed.

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #19 on: March 29, 2008, 06:15:43 PM »
  • Publish
  • The geese and the tortoise

Once upon a time there lived a pair of geese and a tortoise all three of whom were great friends.

One day they faced a huge drought and the lake in which they lived was drying up.

They decided to leave the lake and look for a new lake.

But the tortoise could not fly.

So the geese thought of a plan, where by the tortoise would have to hold a piece of stick by its mouth

which would be carried by the two geese.

The only condition was that the trotoise should not speak or it will fall from the stick to death.

The tortoise agreed to be silent.

But on seeing this stange arrangment , people on the way started laughing at the tortoise.

Unable to control his anxiety, he spoke out "What are they laughig about?", and so fell to his death.

If he had kept quiet he could have saved his own life.

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #20 on: April 20, 2008, 06:27:16 PM »
  • Publish
  • THE APE AND THE BOAR

AN Ape once took up his abode in a corner of the desert where there were many fig trees. He was a wise creature, and reasoned thus with himself:—

"I cannot live without food, and there is nothing here except fig trees. I must therefore eat sparingly of this fruit while it is ripe, and store away a quantity for my winter food."

Accordingly, it was his custom every day to shake a fig tree, eat a few green figs, and then dry the rest. One morning when he was in the top of one of the trees, a wild Boar ran by. He had been chased by a hunter far from his home. When the Ape saw the Boar, he trembled with fear so that the whole tree shook. The Boar, however, bowed low to the Ape, and said,—

"Do you want a guest?"

The Ape thereupon assumed a friendly air, and replied,—

"You are, indeed, most welcome. I regret only that I did not know beforehand of your coming. If I had, I would have prepared a feast in your honor. Now I have nothing to offer you but a few green figs."

The Boar again bowed humbly. "I have come a long distance," he replied, "and am hungry and weary. Anything, however simple it may be, that you will set before me, will taste as fine to me as a feast."

Thereupon the Ape shook the fig tree until not a single fig was left upon it. The Boar ate the fruit eagerly and should have been content, for the Ape had given him a generous meal. But, being a greedy creature, he remarked as he ate the last fig on the ground: "My dear host, these figs are delicious, but I am still ravenous with hunger. I pray you to shake another tree."

The Ape, who was still afraid of his guest, swung himself over into another tree and shook it. The Boar again fell to eating, nor was he satisfied when he had again swallowed the last fig.

"Make haste," he cried rudely to the Ape, at last forgetting his manners, his greediness was so great, "and find another tree as good as this last one."

But the Ape sat quietly where he was.

You have already made way with more figs than I eat in a month," he said. "If I give you any more, I myself must starve, for these figs are my only source of food."

Then the Boar growled with rage. To pay you for your stinginess, I will bring you down from that tree and eat you alive!" he shouted. He climbed into the tree, still growling, to bring down the Ape; but scarcely had he lodged in the first branch before it cracked beneath his weight and he fell to the ground, breaking his own neck.

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #21 on: April 23, 2008, 07:42:19 PM »
  • Publish
  • THE APES, THE GLOW-WORM, AND THE POPINJAY

A TROOP of Apes once lived on a mountain, where they fed upon fruits and herbs. When the winter came on, the cold drove them down into the valleys. As they were wandering about here, looking for food and shelter, one of them came upon a Glow-Worm in the bushes. "Come quickly," he called to his brother Apes, ,and bring a large pile of driftwood. I have found a spark of fire, and we shall soon be warm now!"

From all directions the Apes came, running and scrambling along the ground, their arms full of driftwood. A few moments later, the huge pile was heaped on top of the Glow-Worm, and the Apes, sat around in a circle waiting for the wood to catch fire.

As they were waiting, a Popinjay in a tree called out,—

"You silly Apes, you may sit there with your teeth chattering until Doomsday, but that pile will never catch fire. That was not a spark that you found, but only a worm with a shining light in his tail!"

"Foolish bird," retorted the Apes, "do you think that we do not know a worm from a spark of fire?"

"It is not a spark," repeated the Popinjay. "It is not a spark. It is not a spark." And she flew down into their midst, still crying, "It is not a spark."

Whereupon the foolish Apes in anger sprang upon the Popinjay and tore her to pieces, feather by feather and bone by bone, until there was nothing left of her.

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #22 on: April 24, 2008, 03:51:34 PM »
  • Publish
  • THE ASS, THE LION, AND THE FOX

A LION, who had always been a great hunter, was stricken in his old age with a fever and obliged to retreat into his lair. He had not even strength enough to stand on his legs, but slept all day with his great head resting on his front paws.

Now there was a Fox who had always lived near the Lion, and had followed the Lion when he went hunting in the wood. When the Lion had killed and eaten his fill of any game, the Fox always came up behind and devoured all that was left. Thus he lived for many years in this lazy fashion, and grew fat and strong. When he heard of the Lion's illness, he was greatly distressed.

"Shall I now, at this late stage of life, be obliged to kill my own meat?" he thought to himself. Then he lay down in his hole and set his wily brain to work.

Finally he arose and, putting on a very sad face, went to the Lion's lair and inquired for his health. The Lion replied mournfully that he thought he should soon die.

"But is there no cure for such a fever?" asked the Fox.

"None," replied the Lion, "unless I eat the heart and the ears of an Ass."

"Those, your Majesty, can be easily obtained, if you will but heed my advice," replied the Fox.

"Tell me, then, what trick you have devised," returned the Lion, "for I will gladly do anything to save my life."

So the Fox began:—

"Near here is a spring where every day a Bleacher comes to wash clothes, and an Ass, who is his beast of burden, grazes in the next field. Maybe I can make friends with the Ass. Then I will bring him near your den, and you can come out and kill him."

The next morning, when the Fox saw the Ass from afar, he trotted over to the spring and inquired, "Good Ass, why is it that you look so thin and worn?"

"Can you not see," replied the Ass, "that this Bleacher is constantly over-working me? He never grooms me, and never gives me enough to eat."

"That is a hard lot," the Fox made answer; "but have you not four good legs? Why do you not use them? A few moments would carry you safe beyond his reach."

"Alas," said the Ass, "I should only fall into the hands of another master, who might treat me even worse than this one. We poor asses are born to be beasts of burden, and there is no escape for us."

"But I," answered the Fox, softly, "can tell you of an escape. I know of a beautiful garden not far from here, filled with the finest clover, and where there are no men. I have just recently carried another Ass thither, and he is now sleek and happy."

The stupid Ass, never for a moment doubting that the Fox spoke the truth, besought him to take him to this garden. So, while the Bleacher was splashing his clothes in the spring, the Fox and the Ass set out together.

The Lion was lying in wait in his lair, and when the Ass came by, he sprang out and struck the poor beast a blow. But the Lion's paws were so weakened by the fever that the blow did nothing more than startle the Ass, who ran off across the field.

The Fox was at first very angry that his little game had thus failed, but he soon devised another trick. He trotted off swiftly and soon overtook the Ass.

"Traitor!" cried the Ass. "Is this the freedom which you promised me? Do you take me away from the hands of my master merely to hurl me into the jaws of a Lion?"

"Oh, foolish and weak-hearted Ass," replied the Fox. "You must know that this garden of which I told you is enchanted. You will meet there creatures in the shape of lions and wolves who will pretend to harm you, but who in reality can do nothing to hurt you. I should have warned you against these strange beasts, but it slipped my mind, I was so anxious to save you from your cruel master before it was too late. Only return now and be of good courage. You will soon see how needless your fears are."

The Fox trotted home in advance, and after a short hesitation, the Ass followed him. He soon found himself in a bed of clover, where he fed to his heart's content. In the meantime the Fox went to the Lion's den and whispered some words of cunning in his ear. After a while the Lion came forth. He walked quietly around the Ass, but did not once seek to do him harm. At last the Ass began to talk to him, and the Lion replied gently. They were soon such friends that the Ass, after he had finished eating, lay down by the Lion's side and went to sleep. The Fox now gave the signal, and the Lion fell upon the Ass and slew him.

"There is but one thing more necessary," said the Lion, "to make my cure complete. I must go and bathe in the spring before eating. Do you therefore watch over the Ass until I return."

With these words the Lion crawled away, and the Fox seized this chance to devour the heart and the ears of the Ass, which were in truth the only parts of him worth eating.

The Lion, after finishing his bath, returned and began to hunt for the heart and the ears of the Ass, When he could find no trace of either, he said to the Fox:—

"Faithless creature, where are the two parts of the Ass which were to cure my fever?"

And the Fox replied, "Oh, most worthy King, you should yourself know that this beast had neither heart nor ears. If he had had ears, which are the seat of the hearing, he would have known that I spoke falsehoods; and if he had had a heart, which is the seat of the feelings, he would have been overcome with fear at the very sight of you." And with these last words of treachery, the Fox escaped into the woods.

JaiSaiRam.

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #23 on: April 25, 2008, 07:20:38 PM »
  • Publish
  • THE BLEACHER, THE CRANE, AND THE HAWK

A BLEACHER, who was wont to go to the river each morning to wash his clothes, saw there one day a Crane. The Crane was standing on the bank of the stream catching small fish to eat. Just at that moment a swift-flying Hawk appeared, in pursuit of a fat Quail. The Hawk, after he had caught the Quail and eaten a part of it, left the rest on the ground, and the Crane at once devoured it. He had never before tasted such delicious meat, and decided that hereafter he would eat nothing but quails.

The next day, as he stood on one leg by the river, a pigeon flew past. The Crane at once took wing and started after it. The Pigeon chose her path along the banks of the stream, and kept well in advance. The Crane, in the rear, soon fell into the mud. The more he fluttered his wings, the faster his feet stuck in the mire.

The Pigeon was hardly out of sight before the Bleacher came by and easily caught the Crane. On his way home a friend met him, who inquired,—

"What have you there?"

The Bleacher laughed. "This is a simple-minded Crane," he said, "who was not content to be what God made him, but must try to imitate a swift-flying Hawk. Naturally he has come to a bad end."

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #24 on: April 26, 2008, 01:19:30 PM »
  • Publish
  • THE BLIND MAN AND THE SNAKE

ONCE upon a time, a Blind Man and a Man who could see were traveling together. When it came night, they rode into a meadow, dismounted, and lay down to sleep until morning. Before it was quite dawn, as they were about to start on their way again, the Blind Man sought for his whip. By chance a Snake was lying near by, frozen stiff with the cold. The Blind Man's hand fell upon it, and thinking to himself, "This is much softer than my old whip," he picked it up and mounted his horse.

As it grew light, the Man who could see glanced over at his companion and saw that he held a Snake in his hand. In great alarm he cried out,—

"Oh, comrade, what you imagine to be a whip is in reality a Snake. Be quick and throw it away before it bite you."

But the Blind Man only laughed. What, are you envious of my good luck?" he replied. "I lost my whip, but some good fortune has placed this softer and better one in my hand. Pray do not think because I am blind that I am also a fool. I am not such a simpleton that I do not know the difference between a whip and a Snake."

"My good friend," answered the other Man, for your own welfare, I beg of you to believe me and throw away this Snake." But the Blind Man only clung the more tightly to the Snake, which, awakened by the warmth of the man's hand, coiled itself about his wrist and bit him so that he died.

JaiSaiRam.

Offline fatima

• Blessings 16
    « Reply #25 on: April 27, 2008, 06:58:38 AM »
  • Publish
  • Situated on the banks of the Ganges near holy Rishikesh in the Himalayas, there was once an ashram that had attracted a fair number of seekers due to the holiness of its presiding monk. The guru would take in all seekers who wanted to learn a life of dedication to God; but such was his love that he often did not discriminate who he allowed to stay.

After some time, he noticed that the ashramites were often quarrelling and he could hear rude words that left him pained. ‘Why are they angry with one another?’ the guru asked himself. But he could not bring himself to throw anyone out - such was his compassion. One day he saw two inmates fighting over food in the ashram canteen. The incident left him shocked and he returned to his hut in a despondent mood.

What can be wrong with them?’ he asked himself. He was racked with the problem of remedying the situation and elevating their souls. So, he increased his discourses to them and gave more personal advice on their sadhana. The inmates’ reverence for their guru increased, but unfortunately this did not translate in better behavior towards each other.

The Guru, then resolved to practice penance and ask the Lord for divine help before matters could get any worse. So, he shut himself away in his hut for a week, maintained silence and took a reduced diet. After some days of intense prayers and meditation, he was rewarded with a vision of celestial light. The guru was transfixed in bliss as the Lord’s nectarine voice came through the light:

“My child, my dear child.” The Guru could not believe his ears. He was thrilled to hear the sweet voice. “Is it really you, my Lord?” he asked filled with ecstasy and disbelief. “Yes, my child,” God said lovingly. “Tell me, what can I do for you?”

The Guru prostrated to the Divine voice and said, “Dear Lord, be pleased to come to my ashram.”

“What for?” the Voice asked.

“You know everything, Lord,” the guru humbly submitted. “Yet, I shall say it. The members of the ashram hate one another; they are jealous of each other. Lord, if you come and stay with us for a week, they will be filled with pure and noble thoughts.”

The kind lord replied, “Certainly, I will come, but not for one week, but for ever.”

The Guru’s joy knew no bounds. But the Voice continued, “But only on one condition.”

“What is it, my Lord,” the guru asked eagerly.

“I will come, but not in this form,” the Lord clarified. “I will always be at the ashram in the guise of one of the inmates. I shall always be moving in the hearts of one of them; it could be anyone of them.”

With these words, the Light disappeared.

The Guru, after recovering from that ethereal experience, opened the door of his hut and called all the ashramites to assemble. When he informed them of God’s wish to abide in their hearts they rejoiced, but they were confused too.

“Is this inmate sitting near me God in disguise?” one disciple thought. “Who could be ‘God in disguise’ person?” Nobody knew and everybody was left guessing and as a result careful too. For, each one thought, “How can I fight against anyone here? What if he is one in whom God is there now?” And thus, a subtle change slowly came over in each one of them. They began to see God in everyone and took every opportunity to help the other and be kind and courteous. The whole atmosphere in the ashram was now totally transformed – only love and harmony prevailed.

The guru was the happiest man now. The Lord’s trick had done wonders

Moral: If we reflect, we can make our family, our society and our earth just like this ashram – full of peace and harmony – if only we believe and practice the feeling that each one is just God in a different form. Our life would become a sweet experience, every moment.
    Not every heart is capable of finding the secret of God's love.

There are not pearls in every sea; there is not gold in every mine.

------Baba Farid

Offline fatima

• Blessings 16
    « Reply #26 on: May 28, 2008, 03:40:09 AM »
  • Publish
  • A little boy was spending his Saturday morning playing in his sandbox. He had with him his box of cars and trucks, his plastic pail, and a shiny, red plastic shovel. In the process of creating roads and tunnels in the soft sand, he discovered a large rock in the middle of the sandbox.

The boy dug around the rock, managing to dislodge it from the dirt. With a little bit of struggle, he pushed and nudged the rock across the sandbox by using his feet. (He was a very small boy, and the rock was very large.) When the boy got the rock to the edge of the sandbox however, he found that he couldn't roll it up and over the little wall.

Determined, the little boy shoved, pushed, and pried, but every time he thought he had made some progress, the rock tipped and then fell back into the sandbox. The little boy grunted, struggled, pushed, & shoved; but his only reward was to have the rock roll back, smashing his chubby fingers.

Finally he burst into tears of frustration. All this time the boy's father watched from his living room window as the drama unfolded. At the moment the tears fell, a large shadow fell across the boy and the sandbox. It was the boy's father. Gently but firmly he said,

"Son, why didn't you use all the strength that you had available?"

Defeated, the boy sobbed back,

"But I did, Daddy, I did! I used all the strength that I had!"

"No, son," corrected the father kindly.

"You didn't use all the strength you had. You didn't ask me."

With that the father reached down, picked up the rock and removed it from the sandbox.

Do you have "rocks" in your life that need to be removed? Are you discovering that you don't have what it takes to lift them? There is One who is always available to us and willing to give us the strength we need. Isn't it funny how we try so hard to do things ourselves.

------Baba Farid

Offline Ramesh Ramnani

• Blessings 60
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #27 on: May 28, 2008, 04:09:16 AM »
  • Publish
  • जय सांई राम।।।

सच्ची भक्ति

आचार्य विनोबा भावे रेलगाड़ी से वर्धा जा रहे थे । अचानक ट्रेन के डिब्बे में एक वृद्ध फकीर चढ़ा। फकीर ने भक्ति भाव वाला गीत गाना शुरू किया । उसके मधुर आवाज एवम गीतों के भावों को सुन कर बिनोवाजी भावविभोर हो उठे ।

डिब्बे में अन्य यात्री भी फकीर के गायन के जादू से मंत्रमुग्ध हो रहे थे ।उसी डब्बे में एक धनाढ्य जमींदार भी बैठा थे । उसने अपने जेब से पाँच रूपये का नोट निकाला तथा बोला- "एक-एक पैसा ईकठा करने में भला क्या मिलेगा ? मैं रूपये देता हूँ , शर्त यह है की भजन की जगह फिल्मी गीत गाओ ।"

फकीर ने जबाब दिया - "मैंने नियम बना रखा है की परमात्मा के अलावा वाणी से किसी की प्रशंसा नहीं करूंगा ।"

अब जमींदार ने सौ का नोट निकाला तथा कहा- "नियम-वियम को रखो ताक पर। यह सौ रूपये लो और फिल्मी गीत सुनाओ ।"

तब फकीर बोला- "आप एक लाख रूपये देंगे तब भी मैं भगवान् की स्तुति के अलावा किसी के गीत न गाऊंगा ।"

फकीर के ये शब्द सुनकर आचार्य बिनोबा भावे इतने अधिक प्रभावित हुए की उन्होंने उठ कर उसे गले से लगा लिया और बोले -"आज पता चला है सूरदास, तुलसीदास व मीराबाई की परम्परा के सच्चे भक्त अभी भी इस पृथ्वी पर हैं । जिसे लालच न प्रभावित कर सके वही सच्चा भक्त है ।"

अपना सांई प्यारा सांई सबसे न्यारा अपना सांई

ॐ सांई राम।।।
    अपना साँई प्यारा साँई सबसे न्यारा अपना साँई - रमेश रमनानी

Offline fatima

• Blessings 16
    The story of the Monkey and the crocodile

Once upon a time there lived a monkey named Red-face on a tree by the side of the sea. The tree was an apple tree and the fruits it bore were sweet as nectar. Once a crocodile named Ugly-Mug swam ashore and Red-face threw apples at him and asked him to taste them. Ugly-Mug started coming everyday ashore and eat the fruits thrown by Red-face and soon they became good friends. Ugly-Mug used to take some fruits to his home to his wife.

His wife was a greedy lady and asked him as to where he got the nectar filled apples. Ugly-Mug told about his friend the monkey. The lady was greedy and pleaded with her husband that she would like to eat the monkey's heart, as a person who gave such tasty fruits must have a heart filled with nectar. Ugly-Mug was angered and did not agree to deceive his friend. But she then insisted on not eating anything till he brought her his friend's heart. Out of desperation, Ugly-mug started making plans for killing his friend.

He came back to Red-face and entreated him with an invitation to his house for supper stating that his wife would be thrilled to have him home and also that she was very anxious to meet such a nice friend. Poor Red-face believed the story but was asking his friend as to how he could cross the sea to reach the house of the crocodile on the other side. Ugly-mug then offered to carry him on his back and the monkey agreed.

In the middle of the sea, Ugly-mug took the crocodile deep into the ocean to kill the monkey. The monkey was frightened and asked the crocodile why he was doing this. Ugly-mug told him that his wife wanted to eat the monkey's heart filled with nectar. Red-face immediately asked it to take him back to the tree as he told him that he had left his other heart which was full of nectar back at the tree. The foolish crocodile then swam back to the tree and the terrified monkey jumped up the tree never to return. Upon being asked as to why she was not returning, the monkey answered to the crocodile that he had only one heart and he had been fooled and scolded his friend for misusing his friendship.

The crocodile was ashamed at what happened and asked the monkey if he could make any amends. And he was also scared that his wife would not let him back in because he had returned without the monkey's heart. Just then he heard that a huge he-crocodile had occupied the house of his. The monkey advised him to fight the he-crocodile and drive him out of his home and gain his wife's confidence. His advice the crocodile followed and he was back happy with his wife.

MORAL: Wit is superior to brute force.

------Baba Farid

Offline fatima

• Blessings 16
    « Reply #29 on: June 03, 2008, 03:38:15 AM »
  • Publish
  • The Farmer's Donkey

One day a farmer's donkey fell into an abandoned well. The animal cried piteously for hours as the farmer tried to figure out what to do. Finally, he decided the animal was too old and the well needed to be covered up anyway; so it just wasn't worth it to him to try to retrieve the donkey.

He invited all his neighbors to come over and help him. They each grabbed a shovel and began to shovel dirt into the well. Realizing what was happening, the donkey at first cried and wailed horribly.

Then, a few shovel-fulls later, he quieted down completely. The farmer peered down into the well, and was astounded by what he saw. With every shovel-full of dirt that hit his back, the donkey would shake it off and take a step up on the new layer of dirt.

As the farmer's neighbors continued to shovel dirt on top of the animal, he would shake it off and take a step up. Pretty soon, the donkey stepped up over the edge of the well and trotted off, to the shock and astonishment of everyone.

The Moral: Life is going to shovel dirt on you, all kinds of dirt. The trick to getting out of the well is to stop wailing, and not let the dirt bury you, but to shake it off and take a step up. Each one of our troubles is a stepping-stone. We can get out of the deepest wells just by not stopping, never giving up! Shake it off and take a step up.

------Baba Farid

Facebook Comments