Join Sai Baba Announcement List

DOWNLOAD SAMARPAN - Nov 2018

Author Topic: NAVRATRI FESTIVAL_GODDESS DURGA_DURGA SAPTASHATI  (Read 27812 times)

Offline tanu_12

• Blessings 19
  • "I AM HERE IN YOUR HEART"
NAVRATRI FESTIVAL_GODDESS DURGA_DURGA SAPTASHATI
« on: April 04, 2011, 12:14:38 PM »
  • Publish
  • शरणागतदीनार्तपरित्राणपरायणे।
    सर्वस्यार्तिहरे देवि नारायणि नमोऽस्तु ते II

'Nav' means 'nine' and 'ratri' means 'night'. Thus, 'Navratri' means 'nine nights'. There are many legends attached to the conception of Navratri like all Indian festivals. All of them are related to Goddess Shakti (Hindu Mother Goddess) and her various forms. It is one of the most celebrated festivals of Hindu calendar, it holds special significance for Gujratis and Bengalis and one can see it in the zeal and fervor of the people with which they indulge in the festive activities of the season. Dandiya and Garba Rass are the highlights of the festival in Gujarat, while farmer sow seeds and thank the Goddess for her blessings and pray for better yield. In older times, Navratri was associated with the fertility of Mother Earth who feed us as her children.

The first three days of Navratri are dedicated to Goddess Durga (Warrior Goddess) dressed in red and mounted on a lion. Her various incarnations - Kumari, Parvati and Kali - are worshipped during these days. They represent the three different classes of womanhood that include the child, the young girl and the mature woman. Next three days are dedicated to Goddess Lakshmi (Goddess of Wealth and Prosperity), dressed in gold and mounted on an owl and finally, last three are dedicated to Goddess Saraswati (Goddess Of Knowledge), dressed in milky white and mounted on a pure white swan. Sweetmeats are prepared for the celebrations. Children and adults dress up in new bright-colored dresses for the night performances.

In some communities, people undergo rigorous fasts during this season that lasts for the nine days of Navratri. The festival culminates on Mahanavami. On this day, Kanya Puja is performed. Nine young girls representing the nine forms of Goddess Durga are worshiped. Their feet are washed as a mark of respect for the Goddess and then they are offered new clothes as gifts by the worshiper. This ritual is performed in most parts of the country. With commercialization, the festival has moved on to be a social festival rather than merely a religious one. However, nothing dampens the spirit of the devout followers of Goddess Durga, as they sing devotional songs and indulge in the celebrations of Navratri, year by year..

« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 01:11:50 PM by tanu_12 »
    Man Ke Gehre Andhiyare Me "Sai" Naam Diye Jaisa

Give Light, and the darkness will disappear of itself...

Offline saisai83

• Blessings 0
    Re: NAVRATRI FESTIVAL
    « Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 02:19:09 PM »
  • Publish
  • Om Sri Sai Nathaaya Namaha

Dear Tanu ji, I was very distressed last night, and I prayed to Mata Ji and Baba, then I came onto the forum and saw this post of yours. It opened on the post of Chapter 12, and I just cried, it was as though Maa was giving me answers.. I read all the posts, thank you soo so sooo much for posting this sister!!

May Baba bestow his loving blessings on you always! Happy Navratri :)

May God prevail over evil always!

Jai Sai Ram
    'I will be with you, whenever and wherever you think of Me.'

Our Shirdi Sai Baba

Offline saisai83

• Blessings 0
    Re: NAVRATRI FESTIVAL_GODDESS DURGA_DURGA SAPTASHATI
    « Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 05:05:28 PM »
  • Publish
  • Om Sri Sai Nathaaya Namaha

Dear brothers and sisters, this is a beautiful version of Mahisasura Mardini Stotra in two parts of Durga Maa.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK3mMiZsxJo[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7WSYOt0J6M&feature=related[/youtube]

Please listen to it, it is very powerful and calming and a wonderful tribute to Mata Ji

Jai Sai Ram :)
    « Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 06:10:42 PM by saisai83 »
    'I will be with you, whenever and wherever you think of Me.'

Our Shirdi Sai Baba

Offline tanu_12

• Blessings 19
    « Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 02:01:54 PM »
  • Publish
  • SORRY MAA I WAS VERY MUCH UPSET N U KNW Y BCOZ U KNW MY EVERY SUFFERING....... U KNOW NA? PLS TAKE ME OUT OF THIS SITUATION I BEG U I KNW U R ANGRY BCOZ OF SOME REASON THE REASON WHICH I M GUESSING BUT MAA IT IS UP TO U PLS MAA HOW MUCH NOW I HAVE TO SUFFER? WEN IT WILL COME TO AN END? AS I FELT THAT I HAD SUFFERED ALOT MAA... PLS SHOW SOME MERCY MAA N FORGIVE ME FOR MY WORDS...... U KNW NA HOW MUCH I LOVE U N ONLY BCOZ OF U I COME TO VISIT UR PLACE MAA WITH DEVOTION.... PLS FORGIVE ME MAA IF THERE ANY MISTAKE HAD DONE BY ME IN THIS OR MY PAST LYF MAA....... MAA THINGS ARE GETTING REPEATED N I DONT WANT OT FACE THEM AGAIN....... PLS HELP ME.... I NEED UR MERCY AND BLESSINGS RANI..................................................................... N THANKS FOR EVERYTHING U HAVE DONE FOR ME WHICH IS UNKNOWN TO ME MAA.......... SORRY AGAIN..............   

Offline tanu_12

• Blessings 19
    « Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 02:09:31 PM »
  • Publish
  • About Goddess Durga

Capture the hearts and minds of her ecstatic devotees.
    Durga, in Sanskrit means "She who is incomprehensible or difficult to reach." Goddess Durga is a form of Sakti worshiped for her gracious as well as terrifying aspect. Mother of the Universe, she represents the infinite power of the universe and is a symbol of a female dynamism. The manifestation of Goddess Durga is said to emerge from Her formless essence and the two are inseparable.

She is also called by many other names, such as Parvati, Ambika, and Kali. In the form of Parvati, She is known as the divine spouse of Lord Shiva and is the mother of Her two sons, Ganesha and Karttikeya, and daughter Jyoti. Destroyer of demons, she is worshiped during an annual festival called Durga puja, especially popular among Bengalis.

Her Appearance
    There are endless aspects of Durga described in the Puranas and Agamas and the iconography is consequently very varied. She is usually pictured as having ten arms holding Sword, Conch, Discus, Rosary, Bell, Winecup, Shielf, Bow, Arrow, and Spear. She is most often shown riding a lion from which comes Her august name, Simhavahini, "She who stands astride the king of beasts". She is gorgeously dressed in royal red cloth and has several ornaments decorating Her personage. Her hair is dressed up in a crown (karandamukuta) which then flows out in long luxuriant tresses that are darkly luminous and soothing to the eye. The various tools reflects the eminent supremacy that helps in controling the universe and obey Her will.

Weilding Energy
    Goddess Durga exists eternally, always abiding in her own sweet nature and inhabits the hearts and minds of her ecstatic devotees. As Shakti power, she shapes, nurtures, and dissolves names and forms, while as subtle spiritual energy called Kundalini, She lights the lotuses fo the seven centres of awareness in the sacred human body. Goddess Durga killed the powerful demon Mahish and all his great commanders. When demonic forces create imbalance all god unite becoming one divine force called Shakti or Durga

Offline tanu_12

• Blessings 19
    « Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 02:11:39 PM »
  • Publish

• Navratri

Dandiya, the most awaited traditional dance festival of India.
    Navratri, the festival of nights, lasts for 9 days with three days each devoted to worship of Ma Durga, the Goddess of Valor, Ma Lakshmi, the Goddess of Wealth and Ma Saraswati, the Goddess of Knowledge. During the nine days of Navratari, feasting and fasting take precedence over all normal daily activities amongst the Hindus. Evenings give rise to the religious dances in order to worhip Goddess Durga Maa.

1st - 3rd day of Navratri

On the first day of the Navaratras, a small bed of mud is prepared in the puja room of the house and barley seeds are sown on it. On the tenth day, the shoots are about 3 - 5 inches in length. After the puja, these seedlings are pulled out and given to devotees as a blessing from god. These initial days are dedicated to Durga Maa, the Goddess of power and energy. Her various manifestations, Kumari, Parvati and Kali are all worshipped during these days. They represent the three different classes of womanhood that include the child, the young girl and the mature woman.

4th - 6th day of Navratri

During these days, Lakshmi Maa, the Goddess of peace and prosperity is worshipped. On the fifth day which is known as Lalita Panchami, it is traditional, to gather and display all literature available in the house, light a lamp or 'diya' to invoke Saraswati Maa, the Goddess of knowledge and art.

7th - 8th day of Navratri

These final days belong to Saraswati Maa who is worshipped to acquire the spiritual knowledge. This in turn will free us from all earthly bondage. But on the 8th day of this colourful festival, yagna (holy fire) is performed. Ghee (clarified butter), kheer (rice pudding) and sesame seeds form the holy offering to Goddess Durga Maa.

Mahanavami

The festival of Navratri culminates in Mahanavami. On this day Kanya Puja is performed. Nine young girls representing the nine forms of Goddess Durga are worshiped. Their feet are washed as a mark of respect for the Goddess and then they are offered new clothes as gifts by the worshiper. This ritual is performed in most parts of the country.

Offline tanu_12

• Blessings 19
    « Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 02:24:13 PM »
  • Publish
  • Durga Stuti

Maa Durga

Shri Durga Stuti is an easy form of Shree Durga Saptsati composed by Maha Rishi Markande. Durga Stuti is composed of powerful verses in praise of Durga Ma. People believe that daily and sincere recitation of Shri Durga Stuti relieves human beings from all their worries and blesses them with prosperity and happiness.

Shri Durga Stuti

Miti Ka Tan Huaa Pavitra, Ganga Ke Asnan Se |
    Ant Karan Ho Jaye Pavitra, Jagadambe Ke Dhyan Se ||
    Sarve Mangal Mangalye, Shive Sarvarth Sadhike |
    Sharanye Trambake Gauri, Narayani Namo Stute ||
    Shakti Shakti Do Mujhe, Karoon Tumhara Dhyan |
    Path Nirvignya Ho Tera, Mera Ho Kalyan ||
    Hridya Sinhasan Par Aa, Betho Meri Maa |
    Suno Vinay Mam Din Ki, Jag Janani Vardan ||
    Sundar Deepak Ghee Bhara, Karoon Aaj Tayaar |
    Gyan Ujala Maa Karo, Metto Moh Andhkaar ||
    Chandra Surya Ki Roshni, Chamke Chaman Akhand |
    Sab Mein Vyapak Tej Hai, Jwala Ka Prachand ||
    Jwala Jag Janani Meri, Raksha Karo Humesh |
    Dur Karo Maa Ambike, Mere Sabhi Kalesh ||
    Shradha Aur Vishwas Se, Teri Jyot Jalaoon |
    Tera Hi Hai Aashra, Tere Hi Gun Gaoon ||
    Teri Adhabhut Gaat Ko, Padhoon Mein Nischay Dhar |
    Sakshat Darshan Karoon, Tere Jagat Aadhar ||
    Man Chanchal Se Baat Ke, Samay Jo Aogun Hoye |
    Dati Apni Daya Se, Dhyan Na Dena Koye ||
    Main Anjan Malin Man, Na Jano Koi Rit |
    At Pat Vani Ko Hi Maa, Samjho Meri Prit ||
    Chaman Ke Aogun Bahot Hai, Karna Nahi Dhyan |
    Sinhvahini Maa Ambike, Karo Mera Kalyan ||
    Dhanya Dhanya Maa Ambike, Shakti Shiva Vishal |
    Angh Angh Mein Rum Rahi, Dati Din Dayal ||

Offline tanu_12

• Blessings 19
    « Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 02:27:12 PM »
  • Publish
  • 108 Names of Maa Durga

Sati - One who got burned alive
    Saadhvi - The Sanguine
    Bhavaprita - One who is loved by the universe
    Bhavaani - The abode of the universe
    Bhavamochani - The absolver of the universe
    Aarya - Goddess
    Durga - The Invincible
    Jaya - The Victorious
    Aadya - The Initial reality
    Trinetra - One who has three-eyes
    Shooldharini - One who holds a monodent
    Pinaakadharini - One who holds the trident of Shiva
    Chitra - The Picturesque
    Chandaghanta - One who has mighty bells
    Mahatapa - With severe penance
    Manah - Mind
    Buddhi - Intelligence
    Ahankaara - One with Pride
    Chittarupa - One who is in thought-state
    Chita - Death-bed
    Chiti - The thinking mind
    Sarvamantramayi - One who possess all the instruments of thought
    Satta - One who is above all
    Satyanandasvarupini - Form of Eternal bliss
    Ananta - One who is Infinite or beyond measure
    Bhaavini - The Beautiful Woman
    Bhaavya - Represents Future
    Bhavya - With Magnificence
    Abhavya - Improper or fear-causing
    Sadagati - Always in motion, bestowing Moksha (salvation)
    Shaambhavi - Consort of Shambhu
    Devamata - Mother Goddess
    Chinta - Tension
    Ratnapriya - Adorned or loved by jewels
    Sarvavidya - Knowledgeable
    Dakshakanya - Daughter of Daksha
    Dakshayajñavinaashini - Interrupter of the sacrifice of Daksha
    Aparna - One who doesnt eat even leaves while fasting
    Anekavarna - One who has many complexions
    Paatala - Red in color
    Paatalavati - Wearing red-color attire
    Pattaambaraparidhaana - Wearing a dress made of leather
    Kalamanjiiraranjini - Wearing a musical anklet
    Ameyaa - One who is beyond measure
    Vikrama - Violent
    Krrooraa - Brutal (on demons)
    Sundari - The Gorgeous
    Sursundari - Extremely Beautiful
    Vandurga - Goddess of forests
    Maatangi - Goddess of Matanga
    Matangamunipujita - Worshipped by Sage Matanga
    Braahmi - Power of God Brahma
    Maaheshvari - Power of Lord Mahesha (Shiva)
    Aeindri - Power of God Indra
    Kaumaari - The adolescent
    Vaishnavi - The invincible
    Chaamunda - Slayer of Chanda and Munda(demons)
    Vaarahi - One who rides on Varaah
    Lakshmi - Goddess of Wealth
    Purushaakriti - One who takes the form of a man
    Vimalauttkarshini - One who provides joy
    Gyaana - Full of Knowledge
    Kriya - Nitya- The eternal one
    Buddhida - The bestower of wisdom
    Bahula - One who is in various forms
    Bahulaprema - One who is loved by all
    Sarvavahanavahana - One who rides all vehicles
    NishumbhaShumbhaHanani - Slayer of the demon-brothers Shumbha Nishumbha
    MahishasuraMardini - Slayer of the bull-demon Mahishaasura
    MadhuKaitabhaHantri - Slayer of the demon-duo Madhu and Kaitabha
    ChandaMundaVinashini - Destroyer of the ferocious asuras Chanda and Munda
    Sarvasuravinasha - Destroyer of all demons
    Sarvadaanavaghaatini - Possessing the power to kill all the demons
    Sarvashaastramayi - One who is deft in all theories
    Satya - The truth
    Sarvaastradhaarini - Possessor of all the missile weapons
    Anekashastrahasta - Possessor of many hand weapons
    AnekastraDhaarini - Possessor of many missile weapons
    Komaari - The beautiful adolescent
    Ekakanya - The girl child
    Kaishori - The adolescent
    Yuvati - The Woman
    Yati - Ascetic, one who renounces the world
    Apraudha - One who never gets old
    Praudha - One who is old
    Vriddhamaata - The old mother (loosely)
    Balaprada - The bestower of strength
    Mahodari - One who has huge belly which stores the universe
    Muktakesha - One who has open tresses
    Ghorarupa - Having a fierce outlook
    Mahaabala - Having immense strength
    Agnijwaala - One who is poignant like fire
    Raudramukhi - One who has a fierce face like destroyer Rudra
    Kaalaratri - Goddess who is black like night
    Tapasvini - one who is engaged in penance
    Narayani - The destructive aspect of Lord Narayana (Brahma)
    Bhadrakaali - Fierce form of Kali
    Vishnumaya - Spell of Lord Vishnu
    Jalodari - Abode of the ethereal universe
    Shivadooti - Ambassador of Lord Shiva
    Karaali - The Violent
    Ananta - The Infinite
    Parameshvari - The Ultimate Goddess
    Katyayani - One who is worshipped by sage Katyanan
    Savitri - Daughter of the Sun God Savitr
    Pratyaksha - One who is real
    Brahmavaadini - One who is present everywhere

Offline tanu_12

• Blessings 19
    « Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 02:29:50 PM »
  • Publish
  • Durga Puja Origin

Durga Puja finds its origin in the Hindu mythology. Goddess Durga is regarded as the deity of power. She entered the earth with the aim to kill the demon Mahishasura, who set out to conquer the world with his tyranny and invincible power. Due to her victory over him, Goddess Durga is sometimes referred to as Mahishasura Mardini (the Goddess who killed Mahishasura). Durga Pooja is celebrated to commemorate the victory of good over the evil. The festival attracts many visitors all over India and foreign tourists to West Bengal, where it is celebrated with much fanfare and fervor. All through the ten days, the streets in West Bengal are busy in the celebrations of the pooja. Read on to know about the story of Goddess Durga.

Story of Durga Pooja

The Emergence of Goddess Durga

In the Hindu mythology, Goddess Durga is personified as a beautiful warrior, seated upon a lion. According to the legends, Lord Brahma, Lord Vishnu and Lord Shiva summoned Goddess Durga, an avatar of Ma Shakti, to save the Devalok and living beings on earth from the tyranny of the monster-demon Mahishasura, as neither of the three could acquire triumph over the demon. Subsequently, Goddess Durga, with the weapons provided to her by the Gods of the Devalok, took over the talk of vanquishing Mahishasura and destroying his invincible strength that was acquired by terrific austerity.

Triumph Over Mahishasura
    The aim of her miraculous arrival on earth was to kill the monster-demon Mahishasura. After fighting hard, Goddess Durga killed the ferocious Mahishasura and restored the heaven to the Gods, which was previously acquired by him. Since then, Ma Durga is invoked for protection from the powers of evil. The triumph of Goddess Durga over Mahishasura symbolized the victory of good over the evil. Durga Puja is observed for her victory. Ma Durga has been worshiped from about 400 AC, or probably earlier than that, to the present time. She is the deity of power.

Durga Puja Legend

Ma Durga has been mentioned in one of Hinduism's greatest epics - Ramayana. According to the epic Ramayana, Lord Rama performed Chandi pooja to seek the blessings of powerful Goddess Durga. In order to worship Goddess Durga, Lord Rama needed 108 blue lotus flowers. However, he could manage only with 107. To attain the magical number, he decided to offer one of his eyes, which was lotus-shaped and blue in color, at the Goddess's feet. During the time, Goddess Durga appeared and satisfied with his devotion, blessed him. After receiving the blessings of Goddess Durga, Lord Rama fought hard and acquired victory over Ravana. It is believed that the blessings of Goddess Durga helped Lord Rama to kill Ravana, rescue his wife and return to Ayodhya.

Offline tanu_12

• Blessings 19
    « Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 02:33:04 PM »
  • Publish
  • Different Forms of Durga

Nine different forms of Devi, worshiped over the nine days.
    As the ten-armed Goddess, Goddess Durga presents a radiantly beautiful form that is bewitching to behold. That special form is somehow simultaneously wrathful and benign and transmits profound spiritual teachings in an exacting manner. The nine-day period from the new moon day to the ninth day of Ashvina is considered the most auspicious time of the Hindu Calendar and is hence the most celebrated time of the year as Durga Puja. The nine different forms of Devi are worshiped over the nine days. These are the most popular forms under which she is worshiped:

Durga Shailputri (Daughter of Mountain)
    She is a daughter of Himalaya and first among nine Durgas. In previous birth she was the daughter of Daksha. Her name was Sati - Bhavani. i.e. the wife of Lord Shiva. Once Daksha had organized a big Yagna and did not invite Shiva. But Sati being obstinate, reached there. Thereupon Daksha insulted Shiva. Sati could not tolerate the insult of husband and burnt herself in the fire of Yagna. In other birth she became the daughter of Himalaya in the name of Parvati - Hemvati and got married with Shiva. As per Upnishad she had torn and the egotism of Indra, etc. Devtas. Being ashamed they bowed and prayed that, "In fact, thou are Shakti, we all - Brahma, Vishnu and Shiv are capable by getting Shakti from you."

Brahmacharini
    The second Durga Shakti is Brahamcharini. Brahma that is who observes penance(tapa) and good conduct. Here "Brahma" means "Tapa". The idol of this Goddess is very gorgeous. There is rosary in her right hand and Kamandal in left hand. She is full with merriment. One story is famous about her. In previous birth she was Parvati Hemavati the daughter of Himvan. Once when she was busy in games with her friends. Naradaji came to her and predicted seeing her Palm-lines that, "You will get married with a naked-terrible 'Bhole baba' who was with you in the form of Sati, the daughter of Daksh in previous birth. But now you have to perform penance for him." There upon Parvati told her mother Menaka that she would marry none except Shambhu, otherwise she would remain unmarried. Saying this she went to observe penance. That is why her name is famous as tapacharini - Brahmacharini. From that time her name Uma became familiar.

Chandraghanta
    The name of third Shakti is Chandraghanta. There is a half-circular moon in her forehead. She is charmful and bright. She is Golden color. She has three eyes and ten hands holding with ten types of swords - etc. weapons and arrows etc. She is seated on Lion and ready for going in war to fight. She is unprecedented image of bravery. The frightful sound of her bell terrifies all the villains, demons and danavas.

Kushmanda
    Name of fourth Durga is Kushmanda. The Shakti creates egg, ie. Universe by mere laughing .She resides in solar systems. She shines brightly in all the ten directions like Sun. She has eight hands. Seven types of weapons are shining in her seven hands. Rosary is in her right hand. She seems brilliant riding on Lion. She likes the offerings of "Kumhde." Therefore her name "Kushmanda" has become famous.

Skanda Mata
    Fifth name of Durga is "Skanda Mata". The daughter of Himalaya, after observing penance got married with Shiva. She had a son named "Skanda." Skanda is a leader of the army of Gods. Skanda Mata is a deity of fire. Skanda is seated in her lap. She has three eyes and four hands. She is white and seated on a lotus.

Katyayani
    Sixth Durga is Katyayani. The son of "Kat" as "Katya". Rishi Katyayan born in this "Katya" lineage. Katyayan had observed penance with a desire to get paramba as his daughter. As a result she took birth as a daughter of Katyayan. Therefore her name is "Katyayani" . She has three eyes and eight hands. These are eight types of weapons missiles in her seven hands. Her vehicle is Lion.

Kalratri
    Seventh Durga is Kalratri. She is black like night. Durga hairs are unlocked. She has put on necklaces shining like lightening. She has three eyes which are round like universe. Her eyes are bright. Thousands of flames of fire come out while respiring from nose. She rides on Shava (dead body). There is sharp sword in her right hand. Her lower hand is in blessing mood. The burning torch (mashal) is in her left hand and her lower left hand is in fearless style, by which she makes her devotees fearless. Being auspicious she is called "Shubhamkari."

Maha Gauri
    The Eighth Durga is "Maha Gauri." She is as white as a conch, moon and Jasmine. She is of eight years old. Her clothes and ornaments are white and clean. She has three eyes. She rides on bull She has four hands. The above left hand is in "Fearless - Mudra" and lower left hand holds "Trishul." The above right hand has tambourine and lower right hand is in blessing style. She is calm and peaceful and exists in peaceful style. It is said that when the body of Gauri became dirty due to dust and earth while observing penance, Shiva makes it clean with the waters of Gangas. Then her body became bright like lightening. There fore, she is known as "Maha Gauri" .

Siddhidatri
    Ninth Durga us Siddhidatri. There are eight Siddhis , they are- Anima, Mahima, Garima, Laghima, Prapti, Prakamya, Iishitva & Vashitva. Maha Shakti gives all these Siddhies. It is said in "Devipuran" that the Supreme God Shiv got all these Siddhies by worshipping Maha Shakti. With her gratitude the half body of Shiv has became of Goddess and there fore his name "Ardhanarishvar" has became famous. The Goddess drives on Lion. She has four hands and looks pleased. This form of Durga is worshiped by all Gods, Rishis-Munis, Siddhas, Yogis, Sadhakas and devotees for attaining the best religious asset.

Offline tanu_12

• Blessings 19
    « Reply #10 on: April 15, 2011, 02:35:27 PM »
  • Publish
  • Different kinds of Puja

Ma Sarawati is also worshiped along with goddess Lakshmi and Durga.
    Durgapuja, over the years, has outgrown its religious connotations to a large extent as people all over the India celebrate it with a gusto. There are various ways in which Ma Durga is worshiped. The rituals and customs vary due to vast difference in the culture of Indian States. But, all these follow the century old tradition and practice that intermingle with historical ethos.

Maharashtra
    In Maharashtra, Durga Puja is a fun occasion. Puja is performed each day and devotees don't remove the flower garland that is put each day on the idol or image of the deity. After nine days all nine are removed together. Young girls who have not attained maturity are invited to eat, play games, dance and sing. An elephant is drawn with rangoli and the girls play guessing games. Then they are fed a meal of their choice.

West Bengal
    In West Bengal, Durga Puja is five days of festivity. It hinges around Mahalaya day, a week before the actual celebrations begin. It was on this day that Durga was assigned the task of eliminating evil. So the familiar pose of Durga unleashing her wrath on an out powered assura (demon). Legend goes that Ram wanted to invoke the blessings of Durga before his great war with Ravan. He performed the Durga Puja despite the time of year not being right. That is why the puja is also known as Akal Bodhon, or untimely invocation.

Punjab
    People of Punjab strictly observes Navratri. Some Punjabus have only milk for seven days before breaking the fast on ashtami or navami. They worship Durga Ma and do the aarti at home. Some of them have fruit or a complete meal once a day and intoxicating drinks or meat and other form of entertainment is completely avoided. At the end of the fast devotees feed beggars or worship little girls who spell the Shakti of the Mother Goddess.

Gujarat
    Navratri is devoted to Amba mataji. In some homes, images of mataji are worshiped in accordance with accepted practice. This is also true of the temples, which usually have a constant stream of visitors from morning to night. The most common form of public celebration is the performance of garba or dandia-ras, Gujarat's popular folk-dance, late throughout the nights of these nine days in public squares, open grounds and streets.

Kerala
    In Kerala, Durga Puja signifies the beginning of formal education for every child aged 3-5 years. While puja goes on in the temple for all ten days, it is only the concluding three days which are really important. Ashtami is the day of Ayudya Puja, when all the tools at home are worshiped. Custom dictates that no tools be used on this day. On navami, day, Goddess Saraswati is honored by worshiping the books and records at home.

Thousands throng the Saraswati temple at Kottayam during this period to take a dip in the mysterious holy pond whose source is yet unknown. Large gatherings are also seen at the famous temples at Thekkegram (Palghat), in which there are no idols -- only huge mirrors. A devotee finds himself bowing before his own reflection which indicates that God is within us.

Kashmir
    Hindus are a minority in Jammu and Kashmir but they celebrate their festivals with pomp and show. These days, festivities are subdued, though. The favorite deities of Kashmir are Lord Shiva and Serawali Ma Durga, the one who rides the tiger. Pundits and Muslims alike vouch that Navratri is important. No big pandals here, each Hindi house-hold does the pooja at home. All the adult members of the household fast on water. In the evenings, fruit may be taken. As elsewhere, Kashmiris grow barley in earthen pots. They believe that if the growth in this pot is good, there is prosperity all year.

The most important ritual for Kashmiri Pandits is to visit the temple of guardian goddess Kheer Bhawani on all nine days. On the last day of Navratri, an aarti is held at the temple after which people break their fast. On Dussehra day, Ravana's effigy is burnt. Devotees also visit the Hari Parbat temple.

Offline tanu_12

• Blessings 19
    « Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011, 02:42:04 PM »
  • Publish
  • Durga Chalisa

Namo Namo Durge Sukh karani,
    Namo Namo ambe Dukh harani.

Nirakar hai jyoti tumhari,
    Tihun lok pheli ujayari.

Shashi lalat mukh mahavishala,
    Netra lal bhrikutee vikarala.

Roop Matu ko adhika suhave,
    Daras karat jan ati sukh pave.

Tum sansar shakti laya kina,
    Palan hetu anna dhan dina.

Annapurna hui jag pala,
    Tumhi adi sundari Bala.

Pralaya kala sab nashan hari,
    Tum gauri Shiv-Shankar pyari.

Shiv yogi tumhre guna gaven,
    Brahma Vishnu tumhen nit dhyaven.

Roop Saraswati ko tum dhara,
    De subuddhi rishi munina ubara.

Dharyo roop Narsimha ko amba,
    Pragat bhayin phar kar khamba.

Raksha kari Prahlaad bachayo,
    Hiranakush ko swarga pathayo.

Lakshmi roop dharo jag mahin,
    Shree Narayan anga samihahin.

Ksheer sindhu men karat vilasa,
    Daya Sindhu, deeje man asa.

Hingalaja men tumhin Bhavani,
    Mahima amit na jet bakhani.

Matangi Dhoomavati Mata,
    Bhuvneshwari bagala sukhdata.

Shree Bhairav lara jog tarani,
    Chhinna Bhala bhav dukh nivarani.

Kehari Vahan soh Bhavani,
    Langur Veer Chalat agavani.

Kar men khappar khadag viraje,
    Jako dekh kal dan bhaje.

Sohe astra aur trishoola,
    Jase uthata shatru hiya shoola.

Nagarkot men tumhi virajat,
    Tihun lok men danka bajat.

Shumbhu Nishumbhu Danuja tum mare,
    Rakta-beeja shankhan samhare.

Mahishasur nripa ati abhimani,
    Jehi agha bhar mahi akulani.

Roop karal Kalika dhara,
    Sen Sahita tum tin samhara.

Pan garha Santan par jab jab,
    Bhayi sahaya Matu tum tab tab.

Amarpuni aru basava loka,
    Tava Mahirna sab rahen asoka.

Jwala men hai jyoti tumhari,
    Tumhen sada poojen nar nari.

Prem bhakti se Jo yash gave,
    Dukh-daridra nikat nahin ave.

Dhyave tumhen jo nar man laee,
    Janam-maran tako chuti jaee.

Jogi sur-muni kahat pukari,
    Jog na ho bin shakti tumhari.

Shankar Aacharaj tap keenhon,
    Kam, krodha jeet sab leenhon.

Nisidin dhyan dharo Shankar ko,
    Kahu kal nahini sumiro tum ko.

Shakti roop ko maran na payo,
    Shakti gayi tab man pachitayo.

Sharnagat hui keerti bakhani,
    Jai jai jai Jagdamb Bhavani.

Bhayi prasanna Aadi Jagdamba,
    Dayi shakti nahin keen vilamba.

Mokon Matu kashta ati ghero,
    Tum bin kaun hare dukh mero.

Aasha trishna nipat sataven,
    Moh madadik sab binsaven.

Shatru nash keeje Maharani,
    Sumiron ekachita tumhen Bhavani.

Karo kripa Hey Matu dayala,
    Riddhi-Siddhi de karahu nihala.

Jab lagi jiyoon daya phal paoon,
    Tumhro yash men sada sunaoon.

Durga Chalisa jo gave,
    Sab sukh bhog parampad pave.

Translation of Durga Chalisa in English

I bow to You O Goddess Durga, the bestower of happiness!
    I bow to You O Goddess Amba, who Ends all miseries.

The radiance of your light is limitless and all pervading and all the three
    realms (Earth, Heaven And the Nether World) are enlightened by Thee.

Your face is like the moon and mouth very huge. Your eyes shine with a
    red glow and You have a Frightening frown.

O Mother! Your look is enchanting, the very sight of which ensures welfare
    of the devout.

All the powers of the World repose in Thee and it is You who provide food and
    wealth for the World's survival.

Like the feeding Mother Annapoorna, You nurture the whole universe and You are
    the one Who appear like the timeless Bala Sundari (young girl of extreme beauty).

At the time of dissolution, it is You, O Mother, who destroys everything. You are the
    beloved Consort of Lord Shiva, Gauri (Parvati).

Lord Shiva and all yogis always chant your praise Brahma,
    Vishnu and all other Gods ever meditate on You.

You appear in the form of Goddess Saraswati too,
    to grant wisdom to the sages and thus ensure their Welfare.

O Mother Amba! It was You who appeared in the form
    of Narsimha, sundering the pillar.

Thus You saved Prahlad and Hiranyakashyap also went to
    Heaven as he was killed by your Hands.

In the form of Goddess Lakshmi, O Mother, you appear in
    this world and repose by the side of Shree Narayan.

Dwelling in the ocean of milk, O Goddess, with Lord Vishnu,
    please fulfill my desires.

O Bhavani, the famous Goddess of Hingalaja is no one else but
    You Yourself. Illimitable is your Glory, defying description.

You are yourself Matangi and Dhoomavati Mata. It is You who appear as
    Bhuvaneshwari and Bagalamukhi Devi to bestow happiness to all.

It is You who redeem the wolrd, appearing in the form of Shree Bhairavi,
    Taradevi and Chhinnamasta Devi, and end its sorrows.

Reposing gracefully uopn your vehicle, O Goddess Bhavani, You are welcome
    by the brave Langour (Lord Hanuman).

When You appear in the form of Goddess Kali, with sword in one hand and a
    cupel in the other, Even Time flees in panic.

Beholding You, well armed, with a Trident in your hand, the enemy's
    heart aches with the sting Of fear.

You also repose in the form of Devi at Nagarkot in Kangara. Thus all the
    three realms shudder in the might of your glory.

You slayed the demons like Shumbh & Nishumb and massacred the
    thousand forms of the dreaded Demon Raktabeej.

When the earth was severely distressed bearing the load of the sins
    of the arrogant Mahishasur.

You assumed the dreadful form of Goddess Kali and
    massacred him along with his army.

Thus, whenever the noble saints were distressed,
    it is You O Mother, who came to their rescue.

All the realms including the Amarpuri (divine realm) remain
    sorrow-less and happy by Your Grace. O Goddess!

It is the symbol of Your glory that is burning brightly at Shree JwalaJi.
    All me and women Ever worship You, O Mother!

He who sings Your glory with devotion, love, and sincerity remains
    beyond the reach of grief And poverty.

He who meditates upon Your form with concentration goes
    beyond the cycle of births and deaths.

All the yogis, gods and sages openly declare that without your
    favour one can't establish communion with God.

Shankaracharya had performed once a special penance called
    Aacharaj and by virtue of which he had subdued his anger and desire.

He ever worshipped Lord Shankar and never for a moment
    concentrated his mind on You.

Since He did not realise your immense glory, all His powers
    waned and then He repented hitherto.

Then He sought refuge in You, chanted Your glory and
    'victory, victory, victory to Thee, O Jagadamba Bhavani'.

Then, O Primal Goddess Jagadamba Ji, You were propitiated and
    in no time You bestowed Him with his lost powers.

O Mother! Severe afflictions distress me and no one except Your
    Honoured Self can provide relief please end my afflictions.

Hopes and longings ever torture me. All sorts of passions and
    lust ever torment my heart.

O Goddess Bhavani! I meditate only upon you Please
    kill my enemies O Queen!

O Merciful Mother! Show me your favour and make me feel
    happy by bestowing me with all sorts of riches and powers.

O Mother! May I be receptable of Your grace as long as I live,
    ever recounting the feats of Your Glory to all.

This way, whoever sings this Durga Chalisa shall ever enjoy all
    sorts of pleasures and shall attain the highest state in the end.

Offline tanu_12

• Blessings 19
    « Reply #12 on: April 15, 2011, 02:46:29 PM »
  • Publish
  • Durga Kavach

Durga Kawach
    Durga Kavach is a collection of special shlokas from the Markandey Purana and is part of the Durga Saptashti. Chanting Durga Kavach during the Navratras is considered auspicious by the devotees of Duga Ma.

Durga Kavach

Atha DevyaaH Kavacham.h
    AUM Asya Shrii Chandii Kavachasya
    Brahmaa R^ishhiH AnushhTup.h ChhandaH Chaamundaa Devataa
    Angaanyaa Soktamaataro Biijam.h Digbandha Devataa Stattvam.h
    Shri Jagadamba aPriityarthe Saptashatii PaathaaN^ Gatvena Jape Viniyogah
    AUM Namash Chandikaayai
    Maarkandeya Uvaacha
    AUM Yadh_goohyaM Paramam Loke Sarva Rakshaakaram NR^iNaam.h
    Yaanna Kasya_chidaa_khyaatam Tanme Bruuhi Pitaamaha || 1 ||

Brahmo Vaach
    Asti Goohya_tamam Vipra Sarva bhuuto pakaa_rakam.h
    Devya_astu kavacham punyam takshinash_va Mahaamune || 2 ||

Prathamam Shailaputrii cha DvitiiyaM Brahmachaarinii
    Tritiiyam Chandra ghanteti Kushmaan_deti Chatur_thakam.h || 3 ||

Panchamam S_kandamaateti Shha_shhtham Kaatyaa_yaniiti cha
    Saptamam Kaala_raatrii_ti Mahaa_gaurii_ticha_ashhtamam.h || 4 ||

Navamam Siddhi_daatrii cha Nava_durgaah Prakiir_titaah
    Uktaan_yetaani naamaani brahma_naiva mahaat_manaa || 5 ||

Agninaa Dahya_maanastu Shatrumadhye Gato Ra_Ne
    Vishha_me Durgame chaiva bhayaarh Sharanam Gataah || 6 ||

Na Teshhaa.n Jaayate Kinchi_da_shubham_rana_sam_kaTe
    Naapadam Tasya Pashyaami Shoka_duhkha_bhayam na hi || 7 ||

Yaistu Bhaktyaa Smritaa Nuunam Teshhaa.n vR^iddhiH Prajaayate
    Ye Tvaan Smaranti Deveshi Rakshase Taanna Sam_shayah || 8 ||

Preta_samsthaa tu Chaamundaa Vaaraahii Mahishhaasanaa
    Aindrii Gaja_samaa_ruuDhaa Vaishhnavii Garuda_asanaa || 9 ||

Maaheshvarii vR^ishhaaruuDhaa Kaumaarii Shikhi_vaahanaa
    LakshmiiH Padmaasanaa Devii Padmahastaa Hari Priyaa || 10 ||

Shvetaruupa_dharaa Devii Iishvarii vR^ishha_vaahanaa
    Braahmii hamsa_samaaruuDhaa Sarvaa_bharana_bhuush_hitaa || 11 ||

Ityetaa Maatarah Sarvaah Sarvayoga Saman_vitaah
    Naanaa_bharana_shobhaaghyaa naanaa_ratno pasho_bhitaah || 12 ||

dR^itiyante RathamaaruuDhaa Devyah Krodha_samaa_kulaah
    ShaN^khaM Chakram Gadaa.n Shakti.n Halam cha Musalaayudham.h || 13 ||

Khetakam Tomaram Chaiva Parashu.n Paashameva cha
    Kuntaayudham TrishuulaM cha Shaaraam_aayudha_muttamam.h || 14 ||

Daityaanaa.n Dehanaashaaya Bhaktaa_naama_bhayaaya cha
    Dhaarayantya_ayudhaa_niitthaM Devaanaa.n cha Hitaaya vai || 15 ||

Namaste.astu Mahaaraudre Mahaa_ghora_paraakrame
    Mahaabale Mahotsaahe Mahaa_bhayavinaashini || 16 ||

Traahi maa.n Devi Dushhprekshye Shatruunaa.n bhayavar_dhini
    Praachyaa.n Rakshatu Maa_maindrii Aagney_yaam_agni_devataa || 17 ||

Dakshine.avatu Vaaraahii nai_rityaa.n khadga_dhaarinii
    Pratiichyaa.n Vaarunii Rakshed.h Vaayavyaa.n mRiga_vaahinii || 18 ||

Udiichyaa.n Paatu Kaumaarii Aishaanyaa.n Shuuladhaarinii
    Uurdhva.n Brahmaani me Rakshe_dadhastaad.h Vaishhnavii Tathaa || 19 ||

Evam Dasha Disho Rakshech_chaamundaa Shava_vaahanaa
    yaa me Chaagratah Paatu Vijayaa Paatu pR^ishhThatah || 20 ||

Ajitaa Vaama Paarshve tu Dakshine Chaaparaajitaa
    Shikhaamu_dyotinii Rakshedumaa Muurdhini Vyavasthitaa || 21 ||

Maalaadharii LalaaTe cha Bhruvau Rakshed.h Yashasvinii
    Trinetraa cha Bhruvor_madhye Yama_ghantaa cha Naasike || 22 ||

ShaN^khinii chak_shu_shhor_madhye Shrotrayorrdvaa_vaasinii
    Kapolau Kaalikaa Rakshet_karnamuule tu ShaaN^karii || 23 ||

Naasikaayaa.n Sugandhaa cha Uttaroshh_the cha Charchikaa
    Adhare Chaam_R^itakalaa Jihvaa_yaa.n cha Sarasvatii || 24 ||

Dantaan.h Rakshatu Kaumarii kanthadeshe tu chandikaa
    Ghantikaa.n Chitra_ghantaa cha Mahaa_maayaa cha Taaluke || 25 ||

Kaamaakshii Chibukam Rakshed.h Vaacham me SarvamaN^galaa
    Griivaayaa.n Bhadrakaalii cha pR^ishhTha_vamshe Dhanur_dharii || 26 ||

Niilagriivaa BahihkanThe Nalikaa.n Nalakuubarii
    S_kandhayoh KhaN^ginii Rakshed.h Baahuu me Vajradhaarinii || 27 ||

Hastayordan_dinii Rakshed_ambikaa ChaaN^guliishhu cha
    NakhaaJN_chhuuleshvarii Rakshet_kukshau_rakshet_kuleshvarii || 28 ||

S_tanau_rakshen_mahaadevii Manahshoka_vinaashinii
    HR^idaye Lalitaa Devii Udare Shuula_dhaariNii || 29 ||

Naabhau cha Kaaminii Rakshed.h GuhyaM Guhyeshvarii tathaa
    Puutanaa Kaamikaa me DhraM Gude Mahishha_vaahinii || 30 ||

KaTiyaa.n Bhagavatii Rakshej_jaanunii Vindhya_vaasinii
    JaN^ghe Mahaabalaa Rakshet_sarvakaama_pradaayinii || 31 ||

Gulpha_yornaarasi.nhii cha Paada_pR^ishhThe tu Taijasii
    PaadaaN^guliishhu Shrii Rakshet_paadaadha_stala_vaasinii || 32 ||

Nakhaan.h Damshh_Traakaraalii cha keshaa.nsh{}chaivo{dhva}.rkeshinii
    Roma_kuupeshhu Kauberii TvachaM Vaagiishvarii tathaa || 33 ||

Raktama_jjaava_saamaan_saan_yasthi_medaa.nsi Paarvatii
    Antraani Kaala_raatrishcha Pittam cha Mukutesh_varii || 34 ||

Padmaavatii Padmakoshe Kaphe Chuu_DaamaNis_tathaa
    Jvaalaamukhii Nakha_jvaalaa_mabhedyaa Sarva_sandhi_shhu || 35 ||

Shukram Brahmaani me Rakshech_chhaayaa.n Chhatresh_varii tathaa
    Aham_kaaram Mano Buddhi.n Rakshen_me Dharma_dhaarinii || 36 ||

PraaNaapaanau Tathaa Vyaanam_udaanam cha Samaa_na_kam.h
    Vajra_hastaa cha me Rakshet.h_praanam Kalyaana_shobhanaa || 37 ||

Rase Ruupe cha Gandhe cha Shabde Sparshe cha Yoginii
    Sattvam Rajasta_mashchaiva Rakshen_naaraayaNii sadaa || 38 ||

Aayuu Rakshatu Vaaraahii Dharmam Rakshatu Vaishhnavii
    Yashah Kiirti.n cha Lakshmii.n cha Dhanam Vidyaa.n cha Chakrinii || 39 ||

Gotra_mindraani me Rakshet_pashuunme Raksha Chandike
    Putraan.h Rakshen_mahaa_lakshmiir_bhaaryaa.n Rakshatu Bhairavii || 40 ||

Panthaanam Supathaa rakshen_maargam Kshemakarii tathaa
    Raajadvaare Mahaa_lakshmiir_vijayaa Sarvatah Sthitaa || 41 ||

Rakshaa_hiinam tu Yatsthaa_nam Varjitam Kavachena tu
    Tatsarvam Raksha me Devi Jayantii Paapa_naashinii || 42 ||

Pada_mekam na Gach_chhettu Yadiichchhech_chhu_bhamaat_manah
    Kavache_naa vR^ito NityaM Yatra Yatraiva Gachchhati || 43 ||

Tatra Tatra_artha_laabhashcha Vijayah Saarva_kaamikah
    Yam Yam Chinta_yate Kaamam Tam Tam Praapnoti nish_chitam.h .
    Paramaish_varya_matulam Praapsyate Bhuutale Pumaan.h || 44 ||

Nirbhayo Jaayate martyah samgraa_meshhva_paraajitaH
    Trailokye tu Bhavet_puujyah Kavache_naav_R^itah Pumaan.h || 45 ||

Idam tu Devyaah Kavacham Devaa_naamapi Durlabham.h
    Yah PaThet.h_prayato Nityam Trisandhyam Shraddhayaan_vitah || 46 ||

Daivii Kalaa Bhavet_tasya Trailokyeshhva_paraajitah
    Jiived.h Varshhashatam saagrama_pamR^ityuvi_varjitah || 47 ||

Nashyanti Vyaadhayah Sarve Luutaa_vispho_Takaadayah
    S_thaavaram JaN^gamam Chaiva KR^itrimam Chaapi Yadvishham.h || 48 ||

Abhi_chaaraani Sarvaani Mantra_yantraani Bhuutale
    Bhuu_charaah Khe_charaash_chaiva_jalajaash_chopa_deshikaah || 49 ||

Sahajaa Kulajaa Maalaa Daakinii Shaakinii Tathaa
    Antariksha_charaa Ghoraa Daakin_yashcha MahaabalaaH || 50 ||

Graha_bhuuta_pishaachaa_shcha Yaksha_gandharva_raakshasaah
    Brahma_raakshasa_vetaalaah Kushhmaandaa Bhairavaadayah || 51 ||

Nashyanti Darshanaattasya Kavache HR^idi Samsthite
    Maano_nnatir_bhaved.h Raag_yastejov_R^iddhikaram Param.h || 52 ||

Yashasaa vard_dharte so.api Kiirti Mandita_bhuutale
    Japet_sapta_shatii.n Chandii.n kR^itvaa tu Kavacham Puraa || 53 ||

Yaavad_bhuu_mandalam Dhatte Sashaila_vanakaana_nam.h
    Taavattishh_Thati medinyaa.n Santatih Putra Pautrikii || 54 ||

Dehaante Paramam S_thaanam Yatsu_rai_rapi Durlabham.h
    Praapnoti Purushho Nityam Mahaamaayaa PrasaadataH || 55 ||

Labhate Paramam Ruupam Shivena Saha Modate .. AUM || 56 ||

Offline tanu_12

• Blessings 19
    « Reply #13 on: April 15, 2011, 02:47:54 PM »
  • Publish
  • Durga Saptashati

The Devisukta of the Rig Veda
    Explanations based upon the writings of
    Shree Devadatta Kali

Devisukta is a hymn of eight verses found in the most ancient
    Hindu sacred text, the Rig Veda (in the 10th mandala).

The Devisukta (RV 10.125) declares that the Goddess is the power expressed through all the gods, that they are united in her who shines with consciousness, that her presence is all-pervading, that she supports all of creation, that she is the source of righteousness and the revealer of truth, that she is the source of all worlds, yet that she shines transcendent beyond them. Among Shaktas this Vedic hymn is held in high esteem and is considered to be the source from which the entire Chandi sprang. Later, the Chandi itself was elaborated upon in the Puranas and Tantras.

The Chandi goes by two other names. The most common and widely recognized is Devimahatmya [The Glory of the Goddess]. The other is Sri Durga Saptashati [Seven Hundred Verses to Sri Durga].

Offline tanu_12

• Blessings 19
    « Reply #14 on: April 15, 2011, 02:50:37 PM »
  • Publish
  • Durga Saptashati Katha

Explanations from other sources

Abridged and paraphrased in a few places

This Katha can be divided into three sections:

The demons Madhu and Kaitabha destroyed by Lord Vishnu
    Demon Mahishasur destroyed by Mahamaya (Mother Durga– the united light or combined power of the gods.)
    The destructions of demons Shumbha and Nishumbha.
    The demons Madhu and Kaitabha destroyed by Lord Vishnu

Section one
    Chapter 1 The Slaying of Madhu and Kaitabha

Markandeya said (to his disciple Krasustuki Bhaguri):

There was a king by the name of Suratha who ruled the kingdom of Kola. He was a good king who protected his people and treated them as his sons. Some ministers of Kola plotted against king Suratha and deposed him. Deprived of his kingdom, king Suratha rode alone on horseback into a dense forest. There he came to the hermitage of sage Medhas, where the sage's disciples enhanced the atmosphere of the place and the wild animals looked mild as if influenced by the tranquil vibrations that emanated from the hermitage.

The sage received king Suratha with due hospitality. While on a walkabout near the hermitage, king Suratha reflected in his own mind. Overcome with attachment, he thought:

'I do not know whether the capital (which was) well guarded by my ancestors and recently deserted by me is being guarded righteously or not by my servants of evil conduct. I do not know what enjoyments (care) my chief elephant, heroic and always elated, and now fallen into the hands of my foes, will get. Those who were my constant followers and received favour, riches and food from me, now certainly pay homage to other kings. The treasures which I gathered with great care will be squandered by those constant spendthrifts, who are addicted to improper expenditures.'

The king was continually thinking of these and other things.

Near the hermitage of the sage the king saw a merchant, and asked him:

‘Who are you? What is the reason for your coming here? Wherefore do you appear as if afflicted with grief and depressed in mind?'

Hearing this speech of the king, uttered in a friendly spirit, the merchant bowed respectfully and replied to the king.

The merchant said: 'I am a merchant named Samadhi, born in a wealthy family. I have been cast out by my sons and wife, who are wicked through greed of wealth. My wife and sons have misappropriated my riches, and made me devoid of wealth. Cast out by my trusted kinsmen, I have come to the forest grief-stricken. Dwelling here, I do not know anything about the welfare of my sons, kinsmen and wife. How are they? Are my sons living good or evil lives?'

The king said: 'Why is your mind affectionately attached to those covetous folks, your sons, wife and others, who have deprived you of your wealth?'

The merchant said: 'This very thought has occurred to me, just as you have uttered it. What can I do? My mind does not leave attachment; it bears deep affection to those very persons who have driven me out in their greed for wealth, abandoning love for a father and attachment to one's master and kinsmen. I do not comprehend although, I know it. O noble hearted king, how is it that the mind is prone to love even towards worthless kinsmen? On account of them I heave heavy sighs and feel dejected. What can I do since my mind does not become hard towards those unloving ones?’

Markandeya said: . Then the merchant Samadhi and the noble king Suratha together approached the sage (Medhas); and after observing the etiquette worthy of him and as was proper, they sat down and conversed (with him).

The king said: 'Sir, I wish to ask you one thing. Be pleased to reply to it. Without the control of my intellect, my mind is afflicted with sorrow. Though I have lost the kingdom, like an ignorant man- though I know it- I have an attachment to all the paraphernalia of my kingdom. How is this, O best of sages? And this merchant has been disowned by his children, wife and servants, and forsaken by his own people; still he is inordinately affectionate towards them. Thus both he and I, drawn by attachment towards objects whose defects we do know, are exceedingly unhappy. How does this happen, then, sir, that though we are aware of it, this delusion persists? This delusion besets me as well as him, blinded as we are in respect of discrimination?'

The Rishi said: ‘Sir, every being has the knowledge of objects perceivable by the senses. And object of sense reaches it in various ways. Some beings are blind by day, and others are blind by night; some beings have equal sight both by day and night. Human beings are certainly endowed with knowledge, but they are not the only beings (to be so endowed), for cattle, birds, animals and other creatures also cognise (objects of senses).

The knowledge that men have, birds and beasts too have; and what they have men also possess; and the rest (like eating and sleeping) is common to both of them. Look at these birds, which though they possess knowledge, and are themselves distressed by hunger are yet, because of the delusion, engaged in feeding grains into the beaks of their young ones. See with what devotion they put the food grains into the beaks of their young ones?  Men, O king, are full of desires. Human beings are, O tiger among men, attached to their children because of greed, expecting rewards in return.

Do you not see this? Even so men are hurled into the whirlpool of attachment, the pit of delusion, through the power of Mahamaya (the Great deusion), who makes the existence of the world possible. Marvel not at this. This Mahamaya is the Yoganidra, of Vishnu, the Lord of the world. It is by her the world is deluded. Verily she, the Bhagavati, the Mahamaya forcibly drawing the minds of even the wise, entangles them into delusion. She creates this entire universe, both moving and unmoving. It is she who, when propitious, becomes a boon-giver to human beings for their final liberation. She is the supreme knowledge, the cause of final liberation, and eternal; she is the cause of the bondage of transmigration and the sovereign over all lords.’

The king said: . 'Venerable sir, who is that Devi whom you call Mahamaya? How did she come into being, and what is her sphere of action, O sage? What constitutes her nature? What is her form? Wherefrom did she originate? All that I wish to hear from you, O you supreme among the knowers of Brahman.'

The Rishi said:

She is eternal, embodied as the universe. By her all this is pervaded. Nevertheless she incarnates in manifold ways; hear it from me. When she manifests herself in order to accomplish the purposes of the devas, she is said to be born in the world, though she is eternal. At the end of a kalpa when the universe was one ocean ( with the waters of the deluge) and the adorable Lord Vishnu stretched out on Sesa and took the mystic slumber, the terrible asuras (demons) the well-known Madhu and Kaitabha, sprung into being from the dirt of Vishnu's ears, and sought to slay Brahma.

Brahma, the father of beings, was sitting in the lotus (that came out) from Vishnu's navel. Seeing these two fierce asuras and Janardhana (Vishnu) asleep, and with a view to awakening Hari (Vishnu), Brahma with concentrated mind extolled Yoganidra, dwelling in Hari's eyes (appeared as Sleep in the eyes of Vishnu). The resplendent Lord Brahma extolled the incomparable Goddess of Vishnu, Yoganidra, the queen of cosmos, the supporter of the worlds, the cause of the sustenance and dissolution alike (of the universe).

Brahma said: ‘O great Mother! 'You are Svaha (the energy of Devas). You are Svadha (the energy of Pitris). You are verily the Vasat (the emblem of sacrifice). You are the embodiment of Svara (Vedic accent). You are Sudha (the nectar). O eternal and imperishable One, you are the embodiment of the threefold mantra. You are Savitri and the supreme Mother of the devas. You are the goddess of good fortune, the ruler, modesty, intelligence characterized by knowledge, bashfulness, nourishment, contentment, tranquillity and forbearance. Armed with sword, spear, club, discus, conch, bow, arrows, slings and iron mace, you are terrible (and at the same time) you are pleasing, yea more pleasing than all the pleasing things and exceedingly beautiful. You are indeed the supreme Isvari, beyond the high and low. O Devi, bewitch these two unassailable asuras Madhu and Kaitabha with your superior powers. Let Vishnu, the Master of the world, be quickly awakened from sleep and rouse up his nature to slay these two great asuras.'

The Rishi said: There, the Devi of delusion extolled thus by Brahma, the creator, in order to awaken Vishnu for the destruction of Madhu and Kaitabha, drew herself out from every part of Vishnu’s body, and appeared before Brahma. Janardana (Vishnu), Lord of the universe, rose up from His couch on the universal ocean, and saw those two evil (asuras), Madhu and Kaitabha, of exceeding heroism and power, with eyes red in anger, endeavouring to devour Brahma. Thereupon the all-pervading Lord Vishnu got up and fought with the asuras for five thousand years, using his own arms as weapons. And they, frenzied with their exceeding power, and deluded by Mahamaya, exclaimed to Vishnu, ' Ask a boon from us.'

Lord Vishnu said: 'If you are satisfied with me, you must both be slain by me now. What need is there of any other boon here? My choice is this much indeed.'

The Rishi said: Those two (asuras), thus bewitched (by Mahamaya), gazing then at the entire world turned into water, told Lord Vishnu the lotus eyed One, 'Slay us at the spot where the earth is not flooded with water.' The Rishi said: Saying 'Be it so', Lord Vishnu, the great wielder of conch, discus and mace, took them on His loins and there severed their heads with His discus. Thus she (Mahamaya) herself appeared when praised by Brahma. Now listen again the glory of this Devi that I will tell you. Here ends the first chapter called 'The slaying of Madhu and Kaitabha' of Devi Mahatmya Sri Durga Saptashati in Markandeya Purana, during the period of Savarni, the Manu.

Facebook Comments