Join Sai Baba Announcement List


Author Topic: "My experiences of Shirdi Sai Baba"  (Read 2628 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline SS91

  • Members
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 18447
  • Blessings 37
    • Sai Baba
"My experiences of Shirdi Sai Baba"
« on: March 31, 2005, 04:55:28 PM »
  • Publish

    My experiences of Shirdi Sai Baba"

    SHIRDI SAI BABA is a phenomenon. His physical body disintegrated into the elements many year ago. But today belief in him and his power to assist people in times of distress is growing. The Baba started on cult and spread no religion which one could identify with him. His teachings have, however, been the essence of all religious. His believers are countrywide and include Hindus, Muslims, Parsis, Chris­tians and other and several persons outside the country.

    All of us have heard of miracles. A person educated in worldly subjects, however, finds it difficult to accept their existence, for they defy human reasoning and logic. Normally a person has his pride and ago on which he exists and survives. Acceptances of a miracle lends to offend his ego and hurts his pride. Indeed, it heeds an unchallenging humility, a strong character and strict adherence to honesty to admit the existence of miracles.

    Moreover, to acknowledge a miracle is to accept the existence of an agency which performs it. One has indeed to thrust aside his ego which feels ashamed of such acceptance : to eschew reasoning and logic for there Is no rational explanation one can give for it; and in all humility to admit that what one experienced was no accident, but in the words of Gandhiji, the work of "an indefinable mysterious power which pervades everything".

    I am a lawyer by profession and I have been trained to accept a fact only when it is conclusively proved. It was with this background and training that my association with the name of Shirdj Sai Baba first started.

    In may 1948, my wife and I were travelling in a first class compartment of the train going from Banglore to Bombay. There were six of us in the compartment including and old couple and to youngsters, my wife and I, were playing cards. The old man was obviously praying and his wife was watching us We had been advised not to travel by this particular route because of the Razakar trouble then prevailing in the erstwhile Hyderabad State As youngsters, we thought it was our privilege not to heed to such advice which, we believed was born out of undue apprehensions and fear.

    The train had left the last station in the Hyderabad territory and was fast approaching Sholapur station in the Indian Union. Suddenly, the train was forced to a stop at a station called Gangapur. There was a large crowd of Razakers on this station armed with rifles, lathis and other lethal weapons. As soon as the train stopped, a cry was raised by the Razakers. All Muslims get down. Kill all Hindus. The old man imm­ediately orders us to pull down the shutters and to lock the door. We promptly carried out his ordered For nearly five hours we could hear screams and wailings of passengers who were pulled out of the train, beaten and robbed. Third class passen­gers fled into the nearby fields and their belongings were looted. The Razakers repeatedly tried to force open our compartment but failed to do so. Even in the midst of this cacophony and panic we could observe the old man praying- Queer enough, from the reports confirmed at the Sholapur Station, our compartment was the only one in the entire train that had completely escaped the marauders-After nearly five hours, the train crawled towards Sholapur It was a long time before we reached Sholapur station. Once we reached the shores of safety, the old man's wife explained to us that the old man had been suffering from blood pressure and heard disease and that they were fleeing from the Hyderabad territory with all their money and belongings because of the-Razakar trouble. Once we reached Shola­pur station, the military officers down our statements and the incident came to an end. Although we had escaped untouched by the Razakars, this incident left such an indelible scar in our memory that for a long time my wife and I suffered from night­mares arising out of it.

    A few days after this incident, a friend of mine read out to me, in Bombay, an article in a magazine, obviously written by this old man, where in he had related this incident and had claimed that it was because of his prayers to Shirdi Sai Baba, that the enitre compartment of the train escaped unscathed by the Razakars. As witness to this incident, he had cited my name in the article.

    My friend saw me with this article for corroboration of this incident. I told him that the facts stated in the article were all true. It was also true that our compartment was the only one of its kind which had escaped unhurt It was also true that the old man was frantically praying at the time. I however told him that I had never before heard of Shirdi Sai Baba and that whether this incident was a miracle or a mere acci­dent was for him to judge for himself.

    While this incident remained imbedded my memory, except in the course of stray discussion with friends, Shirdi Sai Baba was more of less forgotten for a long time. In the early part of 1953, I again came in close association with the name of Shirdi Sai Baba. This was a bad period for my wife and my self. My wife had been seriously ill and because of her long stay in the hospital she was feeling very miserable. I was having some trouble in my office and had threatened to leave my partners. Life, in general, was fraught with problems, for which no solution was in sight.

    On the way to my office, there is a small frame maker's shop. Outside his shop was hung a picture of Shirdi Sai Baba. Below the picture was his message: If You Look To Me, I shall Look To You. I do not remember how long this picture was hung there, but it was during early 1953 that my attention got first focussed to this picture and the message.

    It was then, that I was suddenly reminded of theold man's assertion during the

    Razakar incident, that Shirdi Sat Baba had saved him. Gradually, I got so obsessed by this picture of Shirdi Sai Baba and the message, that one day I told my wife about my obsession and my desire to acquired the said picture and to perform the puja of the Baba. My wife readily agreed to my proposal.

    We purchased Baba's picture, brought it home, lit a lamp before it and prayed that we looked to him for solution of our problems. Within a few days thereafter all our problems got settled to our reasonable satisfaction and life ran smooth again.

    Was this another accident ? Was this puja a weakness of our minds ? Or could the solution of our problems be the working of that indefinable mysterious phenome­non called Shirdi Sai Baba ? Well, let each one judge for himself For us, since the time Shirdi Sai Baba entered our home and heart, he became a veritable peer families of our household. Not only the two of us, but our near relations, as also the domestic servants accepted him as an essential part of our existence.

    As the puja continued daily, we gradually got used to look to the blessings of Shirdi Sai Baba for everything, particularly in times of distress. Many things, big and small, did happen which ostensibly appeared accidental but which one could, in all humility, attribute to the phenomenon called Shirdi Sai Baba.

    A few years thereafter, I was once travelling by the night train from Surat to Bombay. After the train left Surat station, I suddenly developed severe pain, which later on was diagnosed as being on account of stone in the bladder. Within a couple of hours, the pain aggravated to such an extent that I could neither lie down on my berth, nor sit down. The only choice for me was to keep standing writing in pain, While my co-passenger was fast asleep on the adjoining berth. I also began passing blood through the bladder.

    When the train reached Palghar station at about 2 am, the pain became so severe that I had to shake my co-passenger out of his slumber and urge him to call the Guard and to see whether he could relieve me of the pain. My co-passenger thereupon called the Guard and explained the situation to him. No doctor could be located in the train at that time of the night. The Guard, therefore advised me to get down at Palghar so that I could receive treatment from a local doctor and proceed to : Bombay by a subsequent train. The Guard called the Station Master and under their joint advice. I got down at PaIghar and the train left the station.

    The advice given by the Guard & the Station Master was, however, not at all sound. For nearly and hour, I waited at the Palghar Station for the doctor who had been summoned by the Station Master, I was virtually howling in pain and taking the name of the Baba No doctor however was forthcoming. The Station Master then told me that the doctor summoned by him was refusing to come to the station at that time of the night. He suggested that instead, I should be taken to the doctor. There was no taxi available at the time and the only available conveyance was a bullock-cart.

    So the Station Master and his associated lifted me into the bullock-cart and directed the driver to take me to the doctor. One can imaging my mental state travell­ing alone in a bullock-cart in that condition at midnight in a town I had never visited before and where I knew no one. I was not sure whether I was going to survive this predicament. The only thing I could do in the circumstances was to look upon Shirdi Sai Baba for aid and assistance.

    The doctor saw my ailment, diagnosed it, administered morphine injection and I was soon immersed into oblivion. At my request, he had sent a call to my relations in Bombay. The next day my relations come to Palghar and I was taken back to Bombay.

    I had been son used to take the name of Shirdi Sai Baba whenever in distress that this incident was, at the time, not considered by me as of any particular signifi­cance. It however assumed significance in May 1968, In that month, my father and I went for the darshan of the all-knowing Sri Satya Sai Baba. Just as my father was about to introduce me to him Sri Satya Sai Baba said: I know him. He is a beli­ever of Shirdi Sai Baba for the last 16 years, Once he got out the train in severe pain end called Shirdi Sai Baba. It was Shirdi Sai Baba who saved him, Could It be that my ailment was so serious that but for His blessing, I would not have survived it ?

    But the most important experience of my life was yet to come. It was this Incident which shook the lawyer out of me and converted me Into a humble devotee recognizing the work of the Master.

    In October 1959, my one month old daughter got seriously dehydrated, and was admitted to the Breach Candy Hospital. Over three weeks of treatment, including blood transfusion, could not bring her round. Leading doctors were attending on her. The child had been running high temperature since days and the doctors were not sure whether she would pull through. My wife and I were on the verge of complete breakdown.

    On the early morning of November 14th 1959, we were informed by two leading doctors that the child was so serious that her chances of survival were remote she was being administered oxygen as her breathing had been difficult. With tears, agony and deep dejection, my wife and I came home from the hospital at about 9 a.m, for a short while, so that we hospital. As soon as we reached our home, I told my wife about a decision which I had reached. My decision had arisen out of sheet desperation I said to my wife: "We have been worshipping Shirdi Sai Baba for several years. I has been said that if we looked to him, he would look to us. The survival of our only daughter means a lot to us, My decision is that if the child survives, our faith that Shirdi Sai Baba looks to us in times of distress, would become conclusive. If, on the other hand, the child does not survive, we would and our worship as he would have failed us".

    The sequence of events, after this decision, is interesting. At 10 a m. we were against at the hospital Another senior doctor was attending on the child. He too came to the conclusion that the child was dying and there was no hope of survival- Sudden­ly, a comparative junior doctor, who was also there, said: 'Doctor, I have been obser­ving this child for some time while she is running very high temperature, she has not lost her consciousness Could it be that the child is not suffering from septmaenia but from malaria ?

    The senior doctor laughed and said: “How do you expect malaria in Beach Candy Hospital Anyway, there is not much left in the child- You may try a shot of quinine”.

    As stated above, this talk took place at 10 a.m. at 1 p.m. on that day, the temperature of the child came down to 101° after several days. At 4 p m the temperature came further down to 99° and by 7 p.m. the temperature was 97 50°;

    Oxygen or blood transfusion were no longer call   for. Even the doctors,  who   during' the earlier part of that day had certified her as dying, felt baffled.

    The temperature of child remained at normal ever since. Within three months, that child was in the pink of health Those who saw her at the age of five months could hardly believe our description of the crisis that she had passed through a few months earlier Consistent with our promise, we took our daughter to Shirdi in March 1960 by car. Strange and dramatic though it may appear, on our way to Shirdi, during a halt, our daughter gazed at the world around her spread out both her Arms, and made her First utterance : 'ba, ba, ba, ba'.

    These are facts of my life as they stand. The sequence of events are also in the above order The conclusion is for each individual to make for himself For myself, I felt convinced of the existence of that power which assists us. If we, in all humility look to it

    Today, with all the above-mentioned and other experiences, my entire family near relations and even servants, have got completely used to looking upto Shirdi Sai Baba for succour in times of distress I must admit, in all humility, that he had never failed us Many things, big and small, have happened in our Iives which have made us acknowledge that existence of this indefinable, mysterious phenomenon, whose only message is that if one looks to Shirdi Sai Baba will look at him. In fact. His promise is very much a king to the promise which Lord Krishna gave to Arjuna when He said:

    -Arjuna, I promise you   my devotee will never perish.

    So far as I am concerned, the Baba has now been the very part of my existence. He has been my guide, philosopher and friend, On different occasions, depending on my variable moods, I haye prayed to him, beseeched him, implored him, begged of him, argued with him and sometimes even quarrelled   with   him   for   net solving the knotted problems of my existence and guiding  me. Whatever the mood, the problems have ultimately got solved.

    Recently, a great devotee of Shirdi Sai Baba whom I met, also endorsed this view of mine, and said: "Shirdi Sai Baba is not only the father but also the mother, A mother somtimes becomes inattentive to the child; sometimes she punishes the child, but, when it is time, she will always give milk to the child".

    Reading the above, let us all humbly bow before the holy fact of Sadguru Sai Baba and pray for "HIS" " ", "Grace", "Kirpa" and "Karuna", for all the Sai Devotees and for all the inhabitants of this world, in these days of distress and tensions of every kind, specially as seen as on if own mother land India and through the length and breadth of this earthly world."

    Let us all how to Sadguru Sai Baba the Saviour of all in distress"

    P. J. SINGH

    BARODA-890 001


    Let us pray at the feet of Sai Baba who is the incarnation of all gods and protector of all, to show mercy on us, and increase our devotion towards him.
    A Person, who has controlled his mind, can achieve any success in his life. How far you are trying to control your mind?
    The mind that judges not others ever remains tension-free.


    Facebook Comments