Join Sai Baba Announcement List

DOWNLOAD SAMARPAN - Nov 2018

Author Topic: Ambrosia in Shirdi Part-1-Baba's Leelas before1918  (Read 96901 times)

Offline SS91

• Members
  • Blessings 37
  • OM SHRI SAI NATHAYA NAMAHA
    • Sai Baba
Re: Ambrosia in Shirdi Part-1-Baba's Leelas before1918
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2005, 09:39:00 PM »
  • Publish
  • Leela 21

For a long time Raoji. B. Upasani suffered from asthma. Upon the advice of Kaka Dixit, he went to Shirdi, in 1913 for Baba's darshan. On seeing him, Baba said He was glad that he came, and gave him Udi with His blessing. From then on, Raoji started feeling bet­ter and returned home.

In March of 1913 his son fell ill. For six days he had relentless high fever, continues and unabating and the doctors gave up hope. The doctor and Upasani sat near his bed as they thought that his end was near. At 2 A.M. the exhausted father went out and sat in the varandha. He dozed off for a short time when he dreamt of Baba. He saw Baba applying Udi to his son's fore­head, then Baba standing before Upasani said "Don't worry. He will perspire after two hours and his con­dition will improve. After he gets well bring him to Shirdi for My darshan". Upasani woke up and so it happened exactly as Baba said. After two hours his son did perspire and felt better. The doctor was sur­prised at his recovery. Three days latter Upasani re­ceived a letter from Shyama. "I had not written to you so far as I had no direction from Baba to do so. Now upon Baba's orders I am stating what Baba said "/ have been to your friends place in Dhulia". I asked Him who that friend was? "Upasani Balakrishna Raoji" He answered clearly. Then added "I go to his place of­ten. Write to him". Hence this letter from me.

Fifteen days latter Upasani, his wife and son went for Baba's darshan. Early in the morning they got down at Kopergaon and bathed in the Godavari hoping to at­tend the Arati. However the tongawala was late and Upasani was doubtful of reaching Shirdi in time for the Arati. Here at Shirdi Baba said "Shama, stop the Arati for a little while, your friend Raoji is on his way. He has set his heart on attending the Arati". As soon as the family stepped into the Dwarakamai, the Arati started. Baba called the son and asked him whether he recognized Him from his vision, when he was ill with fever. Raoji and his son immediately prostrated before Baba and thanked Him for His timely help.

Source-Ambrosia in Shirdi - Part I

(Baba's Leelas Before 1918) by Dr.Vinni Chittluri .

OM SAI SRI SAI JAYA JAYA SAI!!!
    Let us pray at the feet of Sai Baba who is the incarnation of all gods and protector of all, to show mercy on us, and increase our devotion towards him.
    A Person, who has controlled his mind, can achieve any success in his life. How far you are trying to control your mind?
    The mind that judges not others ever remains tension-free.
    http://lh5.ggpht.com/_lOgd1uS-wX0/TCOlFNMxIBI/AAAAAAAAE88/GpxUgxnwioE/why_fear_when_i_am_here.jpg

Offline sainaa

• Blessings 2
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #16 on: May 01, 2005, 09:56:03 PM »
  • Publish
  • very good collection subhasriniji

My abode is in your heart and I am within you. Always worship Me, Who is seated in your heart, as well as, in the hearts of all beings. Blessed and fortunate, indeed, is he who knows Me thus
    --Baba
    LUV U BABA,
    Sainaa.
    My abode is in your heart and I am within you. Always worship Me, Who is seated in your heart, as well as, in the hearts of all beings. Blessed and fortunate, indeed, is he who knows Me thus
    --Baba
    LUV U BABA,
    Sainaa.

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #17 on: May 03, 2005, 04:45:13 PM »
  • Publish
  • Leela 22

When Krishnabai Prabhakar came for Baba's darshan, He gave her a four-anna coin. This coin she treasured and did puja to it daily. One day, a lady came to sell coconuts. Krishnabai unwittingly gave the four-annas along with some other coins to her. When her household chores were done, she realized her folly and cried bitterly. In the evening, there was a knock on her door. With a sad heart, she opened it, only to see the coconut vendor. The lady just handed over the four-anna coin and took another in return.

Let us pray at the feet of Sai Baba who is the incarnation of all gods and protector of all, to show mercy on us, and increase our devotion towards him.
    A Person, who has controlled his mind, can achieve any success in his life. How far you are trying to control your mind?
    http://lh5.ggpht.com/_lOgd1uS-wX0/TCOlFNMxIBI/AAAAAAAAE88/GpxUgxnwioE/why_fear_when_i_am_here.jpg

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #18 on: May 03, 2005, 04:46:26 PM »
  • Publish
  • Leela 23

"Eat! Eat this prasad," said Baba to Sridhar J. Dighe and made him eat three handfuls of prasad. Baba asked him to stay in Shirdi for a few days. Then sent him to Narsingh Maharaj at the Kala Ram Mandir. Narsingh Maharaj received him well and asked him if Sai Baba had sent him. He stayed comfortably in the home of a grape merchant on the Maharaja's request. The merchant bought him a ticket for Bombay. Then he went to see Narayan Maharaj at Khedgaon. "You are blessed by Sai Baba," said Narayan Maharaj and made him stay there for a few days. Then Dighe returned home fully satisfied with his pilgrimage. Dighe firmly believed that this was the result of Baba's prasad and blessings.

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #19 on: May 03, 2005, 04:47:28 PM »
  • Publish
  • Leela 24

Baba loved Shanta a lot. She was the daughter of Babu Girvandikar of Shirdi. Lovingly Baba called her 'little sister' and she called Baba 'brother'. One day she slipped and fell into the well near Dwarkamai. Every one feared the worst; but to their utter surprise, they found the girl floating, though her trunk and legs were below the water. They however, pulled her out. When they checked her, she had no bruises or wounds, though the well was very deep. Shanta told them, "As I accidentally fell into the well, my Baba, my brother held on to me. Thus, I was able to float, and only the lower part was submerged in water."

On another occasion, a little boy was going home. It was raining rather heavily. He had an open umbrella, which obstructed his view. In front of his house they had dug the ground to lay the foundation for a build­ing. Accidentally he slipped and fell into the pit. Al­though the pit was very deep, he walked to the other side and climbed out. When questioned he said Baba made steps for him so all he had to do was to climb them and come to the other side.

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #20 on: May 13, 2005, 02:34:09 PM »
  • Publish
  • Leela 22

When Krishnabai Prabhakar came for Baba's darshan, He gave her a four-anna coin. This coin she treasured and did puja to it daily. One day, a lady came to sell coconuts. Krishnabai unwittingly gave the four-annas along with some other coins to her. When her household chores were done, she realized her folly and cried bitterly. In the evening, there was a knock on her door. With a sad heart, she opened it, only to see the coconut vendor. The lady just handed over the four-anna coin and took another in return.

subhasrini

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #21 on: May 13, 2005, 02:35:13 PM »
  • Publish
  • Leela 23

"Eat! Eat this prasad," said Baba to Sridhar J. Dighe and made him eat three handfuls of prasad. Baba asked him to stay in Shirdi for a few days. Then sent him to Narsingh Maharaj at the Kala Ram Mandir. Narsingh Maharaj received him well and asked him if Sai Baba had sent him. He stayed comfortably in the home of a grape merchant on the Maharaja's request. The merchant bought him a ticket for Bombay. Then he went to see Narayan Maharaj at Khedgaon. "You are blessed by Sai Baba," said Narayan Maharaj and made him stay there for a few days. Then Dighe returned home fully satisfied with his pilgrimage. Dighe firmly believed that this was the result of Baba's prasad and blessings.

subhasrini

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #22 on: May 13, 2005, 02:36:26 PM »
  • Publish
  • Leela 24

Baba loved Shanta a lot. She was the daughter of Babu Girvandikar of Shirdi. Lovingly Baba called her 'little sister' and she called Baba 'brother'. One day she slipped and fell into the well near Dwarkamai. Every one feared the worst; but to their utter surprise, they found the girl floating, though her trunk and legs were below the water. They however, pulled her out. When they checked her, she had no bruises or wounds, though the well was very deep. Shanta told them, "As I accidentally fell into the well, my Baba, my brother held on to me. Thus, I was able to float, and only the lower part was submerged in water."

On another occasion, a little boy was going home. It was raining rather heavily. He had an open umbrella, which obstructed his view. In front of his house they had dug the ground to lay the foundation for a build­ing. Accidentally he slipped and fell into the pit. Al­though the pit was very deep, he walked to the other side and climbed out. When questioned he said Baba made steps for him so all he had to do was to climb them and come to the other side.

subhasrini

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #23 on: May 13, 2005, 02:37:38 PM »
  • Publish
  • Leela 25

Das Ganu was a gifted man, he could compose Abhangs extempore, sing Kirtans beautifully, write commentaries on Isha Upanishads (Sai Satcharitra Ch.20). It relates the story of how Kaka Dixit's maid servant enlightened him to write the Isha Upanishad's commentary.

Then he decided to write a commentary on Dnyaneshwari Amrit Anubhav. He felt he should write it, explaining the details, so that the common man could read and understand it. Das Ganu told Dada Maharaj of Satara of his intent. The highly knowledgeable Dada Maharaj was skeptical and said, "You must first under­stand the original test, before embarking on such a de­tailed treatise. If you stay with me and learn and un­derstand the book, then you will be able to write the commentary."

But Das Ganu thought differently. "If Baba wants me to write the Tika (commentary) then He will give me Buddhi (wisdom). I will not go to anybody to learn it." Dada Maharaj did not appreciate Das Ganu's idea. Nonetheless, he prayed to Baba on his behalf.

Then Das Ganu began the commentary on the first two chapters and went to Dada Maharaj with the same. Dada asked him about his progress. So Das Ganu read what he had written. Dada complemented him on the commentary and said "Baba is truly a Samarth because of His favour on you such a scholarly Tika has been written

subhasrini

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #24 on: May 25, 2005, 05:17:54 PM »
  • Publish
  • Leela 26

In the early days, the Bhills often waylaid the trains. In 1914, Ganpath D. Kadam and his family were trav­elling by train to Shirdi. Just after they passed Nasik, a gang of Bhills jumped into their compartment, with the intent to attack and rob the passengers. At that time, Kadam was reading a book of holy songs.   The gang stood by his side for five minutes or so. Thinking that they were interested in the book, Kadam started read­ing it loudly.  After a while the Bhills left one by one. Kadam looked up from his book and saw a Fakir seated opposite him.   When he looked again, the Fakir had disappeared just as the Bhills left.    When Kadam reached Shirdi, Baba said, "Well, have you come safe and well guarded?" Kadam at once fell at Baba's feet and thanked Him for guarding him and his family.  He also realized that the Bhills took to their heels fearing the Fakir,

subhasrini

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #25 on: May 25, 2005, 05:19:06 PM »
  • Publish
  • Leela 27

Although he attended Das Ganu's Kirtan and Pravachan unlike Cholkar (Sai   SatCharitra 12).   He did not have faith in Baba. He thought that Baba was a Muslim. In 1910, this Ramachandra V.Pathankar, a Retd. Clerk of Alibaugh was in distress.   His monthly earnings of Rs.30/- did not suffice to meet his family expenses.  There was a certain photograph of Akkalkot Swami at Balkrishna Buva's Mutt, Dadar that attracted him.   He visited that Mutt often, as he was devoted to Swami Samarth.

One day Ghansham Gupta, a close friend of his, asked him to accompany him to Shirdi. He assured Pathankar that all his expenses for the trip would be borne by him. Pathankar was reluctant at first, and then he agreed to accompany Ghansham, on the condition that he wouldn't give any Dakshina to Baba. If he did,  it would be no more than one rupee. Ghansham agreed to this and both of them went to Shirdi.

At that time, there was only one hotel in Shirdi. Unfortunately, Pathankar found a few worms in the dal when he was having lunch. He started shouting at the top of his voice. "Did I come all the way to Shirdi to eat worms?" he said. Then, both the friends went for Baba's darshan. Baba, on seeing Pathankar, flew into a rage and drove him away. Pathankar was upset and de­cided to leave Shirdi, without Baba's consent. The other devotees consoled him and asked him not to do so.

Latter both the friends went for Baba's darshan again. Baba had calmed down and looking at Pathankar, He said, "Do people come here to eat worms?" On hearing this vital question, Pathankar fell at Baba's feet. He realized that Baba was omnipresent. Then, Baba gave him darshan as Akkalkot Swamy, the very same roop that he worshipped at Balkrishna Buva's Mutt.

Pathankar was overwhelmed and realized that Baba was not different from Swami Samarth. He gave Baba one rupee Dakshina. But, Baba asked for Dakshina again. He gladly gave another rupee. Then, Baba gave him permission to leave. Upon returning home, he got another job, which gave him a better salary, and he could live comfortably.

Baba took two rupees Dakshina and gave back a hundred.

subhasrini

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #26 on: May 25, 2005, 05:20:19 PM »
  • Publish
  • Leela 28

Balaji Patil Newaskar quitely went about doing Baba's seva. He swept and cleaned the streets that Baba walked on daily. When it was harvest time he brought the whole harvest to Dwarkamai and offered it to Baba. He and his family happily lived on whatever Baba gave them. In Satcharita the wonderful Leela of how his fam­ily fed thrice the number of guests, is given. It was Bala's annual Shradha ceremony.  His daughter-in-law diligently cooked food enough for the estimated num­ber of guests.   While she was serving them, she real­ized that thrice the number of guests had arrived. With Baba's grace and a little Udi, the last guest was fed to satiety with plenty of food remaining. (Sai Satcharitra Ch. 35).

This is a similar Leela whereby Baba's grace not three­fold but a multitude of guests were fed with food re­maining.

When Purandare once visited Shirdi, he stayed with Bala Shimpi.   Baba told him that He would come to dine with him, along with two other Fakirs.  With great joy, Purandhare asked Baba what he should prepare. "Make rice, sheera, bhaji, two vegetable curries and masala khichidi," said Baba.   After the Noon Arati, upon his returning home he saw that every thing was ready.   Then four to five Fakirs came and had their meals. While leaving, they informed him that many more would soon arrive.  Later, a batch of twenty Fa­kirs arrived.   Satiated, they too left. Then another ten Fakirs came. They too were well fed and food still re­mained. Then Purandare went to Baba with betel leaves and dakshina and invited Him for meals.  Baba smiled and said, "/ have eaten a lot and I am satiated and satisfied."   Then Baba asked Purandare to have his meals along with Bala Shimpi. All of them, Purandare's family and Bala dinned together and still food was abun­dant.

Purandare partook the food as Baba's Prasad. He also carried the food to Bombay and distributed it to his friends and relatives and told everyone this wonderful Leela.

subhasrini

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #27 on: May 25, 2005, 05:21:39 PM »
  • Publish
  • Leela 29

Baba had an endearing way of calling his Bhaktas (devotees) by pet names. Some of them are given be­low.

1)   Madhava Rao Deshpande                                Bhatacha Shamya

2)   Tatya Patil                                                           Kothyacha Ghodmukhya

3)   Dr. Pillai                                                               Andhoji Filial

4)   Pilaji Gurav                                                          Guravacha

5)    Hari Seetharam alias                                        Langada Kaka

Kakasaheb Dixit

6)   Dabholkar                                                            Hemad

7)   Dadasaheb Kapharde                                       Bapusaheb Tapusan Dada

8)   Sagun Mehru Naik,                                             Takki (Deceiver)

9)   Bapusaheb Buty                                                 Buttya

10)    Bapusahefa Dhumal                                       Bhau

11)    Madhu Fasle                                                    Ardha Gandhu

12)   Radhakrishna Mai                                            Avadasa (Moodevi)

13)    Balasaheb Dev                                                Chindi Chor

14)   Abdul Baba                                                       Halalkar

While the female devotees He usually called as 'Mai' or 'Ayi’ (mother).   'Tai' (sister) or with respect Bai' or 'Mousi' (aunty).

He had a very strict code of conduct with the la­dies.   They could not enter the Dwarkamai at night or while He was resting. He pulled His Kafni down to His heels whenever a woman was present. Shampoo­ing His feet was allowed only below the knee.

subhasrini

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #28 on: May 25, 2005, 05:22:53 PM »
  • Publish
  • Leela 30

"Sometimes I am a dog, sometimes a pig, a cow, a cat and an ant, a fly, and a aquatic creature in such various form do I move about in the world. Know that I like only him who sees Me in all the living beings. So give up the sense of differentiation. This is the way to worship Me," said Baba to Mrs. Tarkhad (Sai Satcharitra Ch.9). She fed a hungry dog that came to her door at lunch time. Then came a hungry pig smeared all over with mud and dirt; happily she fed the pig too.

Baba used to feed a mongrel dog daily. The dog used to sleep on the steps of Dwarkamai one day Madhu False hit the dog, who was obstructing his path. Baba at once flew into a rage and said, "It came here for Me and not for you. Be aware hereafter."

In Devotees Experience, page 166, the story of Hansaraj is given.   As he was an asthmatic, Baba for­bade him to eat curds.   However, Hansaraj could not resist his love for curds. He got the curds made at home and asked his wife to hang it in a sling from the ceiling.  Every day, a cat came and ate the curds.  One day Hansaraj stayed at home to catch the cat in the act, so he could punish it.   This is exactly what happened. The cat stealthily came in climbed up and ate the curds. Hansaraj waited with stick in hand and beat the cat as it left. Later he went to see Baba in Dwarakamai. Baba said, "There is a man who wants to die by eating sour and pungent things.  But I would not allow him to do that. Today I went to him in the form of a cat.   That fellow has given Me a caning on the back. See here!"

Then Baba exposed His back and thereby showed the welt marks.

Mahalsapathy used to feed a crippled bitch daily. One day having fed her he said "go, go" but the bitch would not move, so he took a stick and beat it. Later when he went to Dwarakamai, Baba said, "There is a bitch, sickly like Me in the village. Every one is beating it". Mahalsapathy remembered his behaviour and repented, (Ref. ~~ Life of Baba, Vol.2).

Mahalsapathy

After taking 'bhiksha' Baba put all the food collected into the 'Kolemba'. The cats and dogs of Shirdi waited for Him to return so, they could eat to their hearts content. He, who would not drive away the animals would He al­low them to be beaten?

DAKSHINA MIMAMSA

Dakshina literally means 'sacrificial fees'.

In Sai Satcharitra Ch.14 is the wonderful story of Ratanji Shahapurji Wadia of Nanded. He went to Baba on Das Ganu's advice, because he was filled with sor­row and despair, as he had no male children. He longed for a son and prayed to Baba from the bottom of his heart. Baba said, "And so, after all these days you have come to Me today! But then give Me first whatever dakshina you wish to give. Only then will you get your satisfac­tion".

Ratanji had brought with him the most beautiful garland the choicest fruit and of course dakshina. Full of love and humility, he offered them at Baba's feet. But Baba said, "/ know you have already given Me three rupees and fourteen annas. Now give Me the remaining money as dakshina". Here Baba identifies with another saint called Mauli Saheb, who was invited for lunch by Ratanji. The amount spent for that pur­pose was exactly rupees three and fourteen annas.

Baba stayed in the Dwarakamai for sixty years. From the very beginning, He went for biksha to the five chosen houses. He ate very little. The rest He distrib­uted to the devotees, the dogs and cats survived because of that bhiksha. His needs were very little. All He required was a little tobacco, oil for burning the lamps and wood for His Dhuni.

Why did Baba demand dakshina?

The most significant meaning for dakshina was to rid the devotee of ego, and instill non-attachment to the transient things.  Baba had a unique method of tak­ing dakshina.   Usually, He asked only for that amount that the devotee had wished to offer. At other times, He would keep on asking the devotee till his pockets were empty. There was a lesson behind this. He then asked the devotee to borrow it (instilling humility). Some times it was to instill faith, for another devotee would give that same amount unknowingly.   Time and again the devotee left Shirdi penniless and Baba ap­peared on the way in some disguise and took care of every thing.

The most striking feature was the significance of the number.

1)         Re. I/-. The number one stood for jeeva or even Brahma.

2)         Rs.2/- for nishta, faith and saburi (Sathe and Radhabai Deshmukh. Sai Satcharitra Ch.18 & 19)

3)         Rs.4/- often indicated the ego complex, i.e., Manas, Buddhi, Chitta and Ahankar and the need to surrender it at the feet of the Guru.

4)         Rs.5/- symbolized the senses, i.e. the Indriyas (The Marwari and quick Brahma Cyan. Sai Satcharitra 16 & 17).

5)         Rs.6/- refers to the six internal enemies (Mrs. Tarkhad. Ref: Devotees' experience)

6)         Rs.9/- refers to Nav Vidya Bhakti of the Bhakti Marga (Laxmibai and Anantrao Pathankar and the parable of the mare, Sai Satcharitra Ch. 42 and 21 respectively.)

7)         Rs.15/-. Giving Dakshina here means deriving les­sons from the scriptures and lodging them in the heart where Baba resides. (Prof. Narke. Ref: Devo­tees' experience)

8)         Rs.16.50/-. Sharanagati (total and complete surren­der to Baba).

Some times the amount was large; implying a pay raise or bonus and the exact amount was demanded by Baba

subhasrini

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #29 on: May 25, 2005, 05:25:37 PM »
  • Publish
  • Leela 31

One devotee had gone to Shirdi for Baba's darshan and wanted to give Baba dakshina. On beholding the luminous roop of Baba, he was so overwhelmed that he forgot to give dakshina and returned home, That night, his wife dreamt of Baba who told her about a packet of money that was lying on a shelf in the bathroom.   She related her dream to her husband, who realized that he had kept the packet there upon his return. He regretted having forgotten to give the dakshina. So he went immediately and sent the amount by money order.

subhasrini

Facebook Comments