Join Sai Baba Announcement List

DOWNLOAD SAMARPAN - Nov 2018

Author Topic: Baba's leelas before 1918  (Read 18535 times)

Offline fatima

• Blessings 16
Re: Baba's leelas before 1918
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2008, 08:12:12 AM »
  • Publish
  • Om Sai Ram,Gayatri Ji
    Thanks a lot for your kind words.Indeed all baba's leelas are a treasure for all of us.May Baba bless us all always

Om Sai Sri Sai Jaya Jaya Sai

Not every heart is capable of finding the secret of God's love.

There are not pearls in every sea; there is not gold in every mine.

------Baba Farid

Offline fatima

• Blessings 16
    « Reply #16 on: May 06, 2008, 05:07:26 AM »
  • Publish
  • Baba converTed Shri Keshav Rao Pradhan, a sceptic into a believer who built His temple at Bhivpuri (Ukrool).....

Bhivpuri is a station on the Mumbai-Pune railway line, about 5 miles from Karjat towards Mumbai. This station is mainly built to facilitate the industrial concern of the Tatas, situated on a hill nearby; but it has assumed importance on quite a different count.

More than fifty years ago, Shri Keshav Rao Pradhan had a house on a small piece of cultivated land at Ukrool village on the eastern side of Bhivpuri railway station. Shri Pradhan had a touring job and Nasik, Manmad, Daund and other such places were on his itinerary. Naturally he used to hear much about Shri Sai Baba of Shirdi. But he was a non-believer.

On one occasion, however, one of his friends nearby compelled him with love to accompany him to Shirdi. Both of them went there and stayed for a couple of days. When Shri Pradhan saw Shri Sai Baba and witnessed His greatness, it made such an import on his mind that his sceptism was replaced by complete devotion and faith.

Thence forward Shri Pradhan made it a point to go to Shirdi often, for the darshan of Shri Sai Baba. Everytime he got an interview with Baba. He entreated Him to come to Ukrool. After listening to his often repeated request, Shri Sai Baba one day picked up one of His replicas given to Him by a devotee and handed it over to Shri Pradhan saying, “Go to your own place, erect  a temple of this and don’t return here again. Be gone.” This happened in the year 1916. Even then Shri Pradhan revisited Shirdi once; but venerable Shri Sai Baba remembered him and asked him to quit forthwith. “When I have come to your house, why are you here ? Your own place is Shirdi for you now !” were His words of advice.

Though the replica was with him, Shri Pradhan was not satisfied with the promise “I have come to your house”. He was somewhat sad.

A few days later he ceremoniously erected a temple near his house in Ukrool and established the replica with due consecration. The observing of daily worship and offerings began. Occasionally some functions were performed at the new temple. The temple was located amidst beautiful surroundings with big trees all around. It was a very quiet place, suitable for the saintly Sai Baba. Nobody disturbed the peace and silence by night.

It so happened that after the temple was built, even though nobody was around, the sound of the temple door being opened could be heard after mid-night and Sai Baba could be seen going about the precincts of the temple, sometimes resting under a tree. At about 3 a.m. Sai Baba would return to the temple and close the door behind Him. The sound of the door closing would also be audible. This was seen and heard not only by Shri Pradhan and his family members but also by the guests at his house. This was sufficient proof for Shri Pradhan to make him a devotee of Shri Sai Baba and thence forward he spent his time, energy and money in Baba’s service.

Verily, this was Brahman embodied visiting Pradhan’s house and there was no other desire left in his mind except to be united with his beloved Baba. Shri Pradhan spent thousands of rupees and built the shrine room, the spacious meeting hall, a wide verandah and the guest house.

Shri Sai Baba went into Mahasamadhi at Shirdi in 1918; but this did not mean a break in the happiness of enjoying His company for Shri Pradhan, as Baba’s immortal spirit was always present with him.

In 1924, Shri Pradhan’s daughter was given in marriage to Shri V. A. Gupta of Dadar, Mumbai. Shri Gupta was a pious gentleman. The new relationship deepened with faith and he developed a keen interest in the maintenance of the temple at Bhivpuri (Ukrool). He took part zealously in the various religious functions. Shri Gupta’s influence infused devotion towards Shri Sai Baba amongst the minds of many of his friends and the number of devotees visiting Bhivpuri Sai temple increased steadily.

Shri Gupta had the opportunity to visit Shirdi in 1936. The grandeur of the Samadhi Mandir, the magnificence of the daily worship and the great congregation of devotees from all parts of the country coming daily and on special occasions sent a thrill through the heart of Shri Gupta. With folded hands and in all humility, he prayed to Shri Sai Baba. “Oh Baba ! When can such a grand temple come up at Your Bhivpuri ? After all, it all depends on Your will.” The call of the devotee was heard by Shri Sai Baba, and the Bhivpuri Sai temple got more and more famous from that day.

In 1939, Shri Pradhan expired, leaving the responsibility of the temple to his sons and son-in-law. In the same year, with the help of friends they formed an institution by the name of Shri Sadguru Sainath Seva Sansthan, with seven trustees. Besides Shri G. K. Deshmukh and Shri A. K. Wani, officers of the Hindusthan Construction Co. also take great interest in its activities. As more and more people experience Baba’s benevolent existence, the pilgrims increased in number and the facilities at the temple became inadequate to accommodate them. Renovation was therefore undertaken. But though the brick work was completed, the construction work was not possible due to lack of funds and material.

Late Shri Narayan Purohit started a parayan (continuous reading) of Baba’s Satcharita as a prayer to Shri Sai Baba to complete the work. After 3-4 days, he saw Shri Sai Baba in a dream wandering about

and asking persistently “Where is my dhuni ? If there is no dhuni, how can this be Shirdi ? How will the temple be complete ?” Sai Baba was angry and throwing stones everywhere. He thus appeared for two consecutive nights and Shri Purohit was taken aghast. He went to Dadar and narrated the entire dream to Shri Gupta. Shri Gupta came to Bhivpuri with other committee members and by the system of lots, ascertained the wish of Shri Sai Baba, who gave a positive indication to start the dhuni. A place was fixed for the dhuni and it was duly constructed in the size 8’ x 4’.

Shri A. R. Walawalkar, grandson of late Shri Dabholkar, the author of Baba’s original Satcharita in Marathi lit the dhuni for the first time on 7-4-1949, Ramnavami, at about 10 a.m. Shri Walawalkar also stayed at Bhivpuri under the directions of Shri Sai Baba received by him at Shirdi in a dream. Shri Kunaresan, who met the committee members on one occasion kindly bore all the expenses for the roof and other structures around the dhuni. This dhuni is continuously burning. The expenses were first borne by Shri Chavan from Dombivli but are now taken care of by the donations received.

Various important functions are held and there are special functions on Ramnavami and Samadhi day. Prof. D. D. Parchure offers his services in the form of kirtans on these two occasions. Many great personalities have visited this temple and helped it financially. They have made good suggestions for its improvements. The interest and enthusiasm of all these people deserve the sincere appreciation of the trustees.

Such is the wonderful story of the Bhivpuri Sai temple, the story of how Shri Sai Baba kept His promise and came to stay at Bhivpuri also. This place is now a living centre of the spiritual influence of Shri Sai Baba and it is no wonder that people who visit it once, come here to have darshan of Shri Sai Baba again and again with renewed devotion.--------------Sai Leela Mag---------

------Baba Farid

Offline fatima

• Blessings 16
    « Reply #17 on: May 06, 2008, 08:00:11 AM »
  • Publish
  • We are human beings. Our mind is surprised by the various deeds of the saints. But the saints consider all their deeds as normal. The things which are beyond our understanding and reach, we called them as miracles. Saints do these miracles in their ordinary course of deals. So it is not a miracle for them. Moreover we are simple, ignorant and greedy humans. That's why it is not possible for us to understand the Leelas of Sai Baba in one stroke. The Updesh which were given by Him are not difficult to remember, but difficult to follow. Here is such an incident Nanasaheb Chandorkar which shows how he forgot the teachings of Sai Baba and how Sai Baba taught him a lesson.

Nanasaheb Chandorkar used to spend his holidays in his house at Kalyan. Whenever Nanasaheb and his family went there to spend holidays, the ladies in the house would prepare various types of snacks in the free time at afternoon.

Once during his holidays, Nanasaheb was taking rest after having lunch on one afternoon. His daughter-in-law was making Bhajniya (a snack prepared from either wheat flour or rice flour, spices and are made in circular form commonly called “Chakri” in Marathi and “Chakli” in Gujarati). Just then a beggar wearing torn dirty clothes with came and stood at the door.

There was threshold in front of the house. The house was inside the threshold. The beggar crossed the threshold and stood in front of the door and asked for food. Nanasaheb’s kind daughter-in-law took a handful of the Bhajniya and gave to the beggar. But the beggar was not satisfied and so she demanded more. Nanasaheb’s daughter-in-law took some more Bhajniya and gave to the beggar.
    This time too the beggar was not satisfied.

Nanasaheb’s daughter-in-law said, “I have given you half of Bhajniya prepared for us to you. Then also you are not satisfied?”

The beggar again seemed to be unsatisfied and said, “I will go only after you give all them”

Nanasaheb’s daughter-in-law said angrily, “You have to eat by getting the food from others and you are troubling us in this way. If want the food take whatever quantity is given to you and just go away. Now I will not give more than what I have offered.”

The beggar did not listen to daughter-in-law. Neither she took the Bhajniya nor did she return. The daughter-in-law being fed up now called up Nanasaheb. Nanasaheb ordered his watchman, “If the beggar accepts the quantity which we are giving, then its ok, otherwise push her outside of the house”.

The beggar said, “Sir, if you don’t intend to give don’t give but don’t push me out of the house. I will go on my own”. Thus the beggar went away without taking a single Bhajniya.

Nanasaheb’s holidays were over. He had to join his office again. In the way he went to Shirdi to take darshan of Sai Baba. Sai Baba was very angry with Nanasaheb. The moment Sai Baba saw him; He turned His face on the other side. He did not speak a word too. Nanasaheb went near to Sai Baba and fell at His feet.

Nanasaheb said, “O God, please tell if I have made any mistake”.

Sai Baba said, “What should I say to the one who does not follow the path directed by Me? You had thrown that beggar out of your house through that watchman. Did she do any harm to you, that you were ready to push her? If she wanted whatever you gave her, she would have taken, and if not she would have sat on the threshold of your house for sometime and would have went away. What harm was that to you, was she looting away your wealth or position? Instead of listening to her sweet words, you called your watchman to throw her out of your house. Is this that I have taught you?

Nanasaheb was then reminded of his mistake now. He repented for it and promised that he would never commit such mistake ever. Though Sai Baba is sitting in Shirdi, but He went to His devotees in any form to save them.

Source : Translated from a Gujarati Book 'Sai Sarovar

------Baba Farid

Offline fatima

• Blessings 16
    « Reply #18 on: May 11, 2008, 04:02:35 AM »
  • Publish
  • APPA KULKARNI

Keshav Anant alias Appa Kulkarni, a resident of Shirdi village, was a devotee of Baba for a long time. He was a staunch proponent of truth; but he was very egoistic. He had deep faith in Baba; but he was a harassed man - as if the sins of his earlier birth were after him. He was accused of misappropriation in some government matter. The news spread very fast in the village and without verificaton of the truth, a rumor - that Appa Kulkarni was a cheat and has swindled money - started circulating. There was a talk that a case would be filed against him.

The then district collector officer sent a word to Appa and called him to give his statement. Appa got scared and started saying that - ‘‘Now, I cannot return home.’’

Before under taking the journey, as per usual practice, he went to bow before Baba. He prostrated before Baba and pleaded, ‘‘Baba, You are my father and You are my mother. You know, whether the accusation is true or false. If something happens to me, it will be You Who will be blamed. Please, save me from this peril !’’

Hearing the utterances of Appa, Baba took pity on him. He said, ‘‘Appa, do not fear. Presently, the disrict officer is at village Nevase - the same place where Sant Dnyaneshwar wrote his treatise Dnyaneshwari - First there, take Darshan of Mohiniraja and bow down before him ! Then go to the Saheb ! The Mohiniraja will protect you.’’

Appa did exactly what he was told. After bowing down before Mohiniraja, he went to the Saheb’s office and wrote down his statement. After going through it, the Saheb said, ‘‘I am convinced that you have not defalcated money. Therefore, I am releasing you.’’

Appa danced with joy. Next day he returned to Shirdi, held on tightly to Baba’s feet and said, ‘‘Baba, You saved my reputation. I am ever grateful to You.’’ Baba replied, ‘‘Who am I ? This was done by the Parameshwar. He turns impossible into possible, Appa !’’

Appa devoted his life to Baba. Baba also brought other devotees closer through Appa. Amongst such devotees, prominent was Nanasaheb Chandorkar - a highly learned and high ranking govt. official.

Around 1892, Nanasaheb - who was then residing at Kalyan – was appointed as secretary to the collector of Ahmednagar. Baba called Appa and told him, “Go, and tell that Nana that I have called him !” Appa delivered Baba’s message to Nanasaheb.

How could believe this ? He said, “Why Baba is calling me ? And why are you taking His name ? Tell me clearly what you want !”

Then Appa narrated the incident in detail to Nanasaheb and convinced him that it was really Baba Who had sent the message.

------Baba Farid

Offline fatima

• Blessings 16
    « Reply #19 on: May 11, 2008, 04:35:45 AM »
  • Publish
  • The following excerpts are from a letter sent on 11-7-1921 by Vedshastri Krishnashastri Bhishma, the writer of most of the verses from Sri Sadguru Sainath Sagunopasana.

My experiences with Maharaj are well-known to those around me. So, there is nothing special in this letter.  If devotees already know or have read these experiences, please do not publish them.

Sainath Maharaj had extra sensory perception. Though I am writing this in the past tense, it is only with reference to the mortal body. For me, Sainath is immortal and will always be, since Maharaj is constantly giving me visions and is guiding me to do things He wishes, what I say cannot be false.

One evening we were sitting with Sainath and also did the last Aarati, the Shejaarati .  But, when we went to visit Him the next day, Sai said, ‘‘Yesterday evening I had gone for a walk.’’  We could not believe this as He was with us all evening till the Shejaarati.  But, a few minutes later a man from a villlage south of Shirdi came and mentioned, ‘‘Yesterday evening Sai Maharaj was in our village.’’ We then understood that Sai had extra sensory powers and so could be in both places at the same time.

Once, when all the people in Balwantrao Khaparde’s house were asleep, Sai came in his dream, dined with him, ate a Paan sitting on the swing and then left.  At that moment Balwantrao woke up. When he narrated this dream to me in the morning, I said, ‘‘Without telling this dream to anyone go to Sainath Maharaj.  If Sai has given you this vision, He will give you some indication. If it is an ordinary dream, Sai won’t say a word.’’ Balwantrao went to meet Sai and was amazed when Sai said, ‘‘You gave me dinner yesterday; but you did not give any Dakshina.’’  Balwantrao was stunned; but he immediately asked, how much he should give and came the reply,‘‘Rs. 25/-’’.

All these are the facets of extra sensory perception at play. Some may think, these stories are false; but in his book ‘Srimadbhagwatarth Darshan’ Mr. Yeshwant Vyankatesh Kolhatkar, B. A., L.L. B., proves that the Atma or soul is immortal and can perform many miracles. Then, how could it be impossible for Baba to give Darshan while awake or in a dream ? ‘‘Jaagat Rama, Sovat Rama, Sapnon mein dekho Rama hi Rama,’’ said Sant Eknath and accordingly Sainath gives Darshan whenever He wills. In Chapter VIII, Vol. III, Verse 4, from the Chhandogya Upanishad it is said that ‘‘Sometimes this blissful soul leaves the body and attains self-realization and oneness with the Supreme Light; but the soul does not need to leave the body unconscious.’’  Maharaj was in complete control of His senses and desires and remained perpetually calm.

While going from His sleeping area towards the Masjid with His staff in hand, Baba used to hurl abuses. At such a time nobody had the guts to face Him. But, whenever He uttered these expletives at the top of His voice, people could hear the softly uttered words ‘‘Allah tera bhala karega’’. Which man could give blessings while in a fit of rage ?  That is why, in my opinion Baba’s anger was just a show, but His conscience was kind and calm.

In verse 4274 of Tukaram’s Gatha it is said that God Himself bears the troubles of His devotees and is always close to them.  One day, all of us were seated next to Maharaj, when it was time for the noon Aarati. According to the custom in those days Bapusaheb prepared the Aarati.  But, suddenly, without any provocation, Maharaj donned the Narsimha Avatar. He threw away the Aarati and the Prasad, drove all the people out by hitting at them with His staff. He Himself left His seat and sat down in the Veranda. The Aarati could not take place. By 3 p.m. all the devotees were hungry. Some suggested that the Aarati should be done to the throne. But, Dadasaheb Khaparde did not agree and said that the Aarati should be done to Baba only, but at the hands of Vaghya and not Bapusaheb. Accordingly the Aarati was given to Vaghya. But, suddenly Baba returned to His throne and the Aarati was done. But, nobody understood the reason for Baba’s anger.

The next day a lawyer from Kopargaon arrived. He said, ‘‘There was a criminal case against one of Baba’s devotee. The court had sentenced him when I reached there. I took the case and appealed. Surprisingly the court inquired with me about the defendant’s conduct. When I vouched for his good behaviour and his being innocent, the court acquitted him.  To ask Baba, how this miracle took place, I came to Shirdi for Baba’s Darshan.  That devotee told me about the eminent Sai and said he was acquitted due to Baba’s blessings.”

As said in Sant Dnyaneshwar’s Aarati it is an open secret that the universe is Brahma. Sai behaved accordingly.

There was a well-worn piece of sack-cloth which Baba used as a seat and loved it immensely.  Once, when Baba was away, a devotee threw the sack-cloth away and kept a silk cushion in its place. When Baba returned He started fuming and abusing as soon as He saw the new cushion. He threw it and scattered the Dhuni. He calmed down only when His old torn piece of sacking was restored.

One day people asked me to replace the old sacking with a new one; but I waited till everybody stood for Aarati and then asked Baba in sign language if I could change the sack-cloth. He signaled in agreement. I immediately told Dadasaheb and bought a new sack and replaced the old one, which was discarded. After the Aarati, Baba sat down quietly. Devotees served Him.  Then He gave His ‘Chillum’ to me and asked for five Laddos which I promised.  I kept worrying as to how I would be able to make Laddos without anybody’s help in this unfamiliar place. If I took somebody’s help Baba would immediately know.  Why did He ask specifically for five Laddoos and not just Laddoos ? I spent the day mulling over it and went to sleep with the same thought in mind. But, soon I woke up with an inspiration to write a verse which I immediately penned. In the morning, when I was writing the next stanza, Mr. Dixit, who was on his way to Baba, stopped by and saw my poem.  Later I took my bath and went for Darshan. As soon as He saw me Baba asked for the Laddoos.  I did not say anything; but Dixit said, ‘‘The Laddoos are getting ready”.  Baba was pacified.  The next day I finished writing five stanzas and offered them to Baba. (I had tried to write more than five; but try as I may, I could not write beyond the five already written and so left it at that.) When Baba saw them, He asked me to read them out and while I was reading, blessed me by putting His hand on my head. It is impossible to narrate my state of bliss at that time. After that I read to Him every poem I wrote and this collection ultimately became the book ‘Sainath Sagunopasana’ which I offered at His feet.  The proceeds of the book were given for the protection of cows. The copies of this book must still be there.

‘‘Dhiro na shochati,’’ says the Kathopanishad.  Self-realized brave people never grieve and even if they feel sad, they do not need other people’s advice to restore their good cheer; they themselves get rid of it.

Megha Gujarati was Maharaj’s loving devotee. He slogged to serve Baba. He was serving Baba at his master’s instance; but one day it crossed his mind ‘Why should I bathe a Muslim ?’ And so one day he left Shirdi for his native place, where he fell ill.  When he recovered, he went to visit the Shiva temple; but instead of a Shivalingam he saw Sai Maharaj. He promptly returned to Shirdi. To remove the evil thoughts from his body he was asked to chant the Gayatri Mantra a certain number of times. On completion Baba blessed him.  When Megha passed away, Baba Himself came and touching his entire body with His hands, cried bitterly for five minutes. Then consoling Himself, ‘How much will you cry ?’ He calmed down (as per the teaching of the Kathopanishad – ‘‘Dhiro na shochati’’) and gave permission for the final rites.

----------- Sai Leela Mag----------

------Baba Farid

Offline fatima

• Blessings 16
    « Reply #20 on: May 14, 2008, 02:04:35 AM »
  • Publish
  • --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Nanasaheb Chandorkar was a strict devotee. He observed all rituals. It was his practice that he gave offering first to Agni Dev (i.e. God of fire), then he waited for some guest to come and served him food. After that only he took his meals. He used to read many sacred books. During one of his reading, he came across a story of Seth Sagaalsha. No guest came to the house of Seth Sagaalsha for many days, so he had to observe fast, as it was his practice to take his lunch after feeding some guests.

After reading the above incident, a doubt aroused in Nanasaheb’s mind regarding such principles written in Shastras. He thought that if such things are difficult to follow do Shastras comply to follow them? Sai Baba knows all Shastras and so my doubts would be clarified by Him only. so I must leave the matter to Him.

One day when Nanasaheb sat massaging Sai Baba’s legs in Dwarkamai, Sai Baba Himself started speaking. He said, ‘Nana! All the Shastras are correct. Shastras never speak useless things, and not even impure things. The definition of human may be different, the thoughts of human may be narrow, but it cannot be said that Shastras are useless. Guests would surely come!

Nanasaheb was not reminded that Sai Baba is clearing his doubt regarding Seth Sagaalsha which aroused while reading.

Sai Baba further explained, 'Can a man of three and half cubits can only be your guest? Can other living beings can’t be your guests? Just see here and there. You will find many hungry living beings ready to eat the food given by you. Crores of living beings like ants, housefly, crow, dog, goat, cow, rat, etc. roam near you to satisfy their hunger, so are they not your guests? So if you give them a dish full of eatables, they would consume it with love. After satisfying their hunger, those dumb animals will give you blessings and in turn God will be happy with you.'

So dear readers, whosoever comes to us for satisfying its hunger, we must be ever ready to do so. Sai Baba had said that satisfying one's hunger is equal to doing a Yagna. Simplifying further Sai Baba compared hunger with Yagna and thus it means if we satisfy one's hunger, we would get blessings and Punya of doing a Yagna. What a simple method our beloved Sai has given us!

Source : Translated from a Gujarati Book 'Sai Sarovar'

------Baba Farid

Offline fatima

• Blessings 16
    « Reply #21 on: May 15, 2008, 03:32:53 AM »
  • Publish
  • Sankarlal Keshavram Bhatt,a shopkeeper of Bombay,was lame in one leg.Hearing of Baba's magical powers he came to Shirdi in 1911 and prostraed before Baba who blessed him.Later as he walked a few steps in the river sands to reach the ferry the jammed nerves in his leg loosened and to his surprise he was able to walk erect and his lameness had gone for ever.

------Baba Farid

Offline fatima

• Blessings 16
    « Reply #22 on: May 20, 2008, 03:16:04 AM »
  • Publish
  • Facing Death in a Cloudburst in Shirdi
    "Om Shri Sainathaya Namaha."

Dear Sai Devotee readers, I presume that you must have paid a visit to
    Shirdi at least once. The present Shirdi and the Shirdi of yester years when my
    father used to visit, there is a vast difference. During that time when you enter
    Shirdi from Kopergaon end there was a rivulet, which you were required to cross
    to enter Shirdi village. Most of the times of the year the rivulet was dried up, only
    during monsoon season one would find it actively flowing. Currently one would
    find a small bridge over it on the main road. In those days villagers use to
    perform their morning duties on the banks of this rivulet. As such there were lot of
    shrubs and the place was appropriate before the sunrise, as there was hardly
    any traffic on the road.
    Those were the rainy days when my father was in Shirdi. He was in the
    habit of getting up early and after performing morning duties he would attend the
    Kakad Aarati. On that eventful day he got up early and proceeded to the bank of
    the rivulet to perform his morning duties. It was drizzling so he carried an
    umbrella and torch with him. During his course of morning duty he heard
    someone shouting from the other bank of the rivulet. Initially he ignored the
    shouts. He tried to locate the person but due to darkness he could not see
    anyone. Soon he realized that the person was shouting and asking to runaway
    from the bank. He was shouting in Marathi and saying that" LONDHA ALARE
    ALA PALA." My father did not understand the meaning of LONDHA. (A torrent)
    as such his education was in English medium and it was difficult for him to
    understand the colloquial Marathi. However he could sense that the person was
    warning everybody to run away from the place. He hurriedly finished his morning
    duty and stood up and lighted the torch to find out what was going around. Soon
    he realized that a huge column of black colored water 15 to 20 feet in height was
    coming towards him. There was a cloudburst, which had taken place during the
    night at a far away place resulting into sudden floods in the rivulet. He realized
    that his end was near and he shouted saying "BABA MELO MALA WACHAVA".
    (Baba I am dying and please save me.) He closed his eyes and just stood still in
    that place, all the time chanting Baba's name. After some time he realized that he
    had not been swept away and he was still alive. He opened his eyes and what he
    saw was believable. The column of water was divided into two parts and Pushing
    past him without touching him. He was standing still in that gushing water. He
    was scared to death and the entire time chanting Baba's name
    (NAMASMARAN). After some time the water level receded and when it was
    down to knee level the water touched his body Now he was in knee deep water.
    He could see around him branches of trees, shrubs, catties etc were passing
    through that floodwaters. He thanked Baba there and then as he realized that
    only Baba could have Saved him from that sure death situation. He then .slowly
    walked back through those knee-deep waters. He came to their place of stay and
    took bath. Needless to mention that he had missed Kakad Aarati that morning.
    He informed his mother what he had undergone that morning. She advised him
    that as Baba had pulled him out of the jaws of death, he should immediately go
    and thank him for saving his life. He immediately paced up to Dwarkamai and as
    he was climbing the steps with pooja material in his hand Baba talked to him in
    raised voice, "Hey Bhau today early morning why were you shouting for my help
    and are you afraid of death?" My father fell at his feet and told Baba that he
    knows everything and an ordinary man like him is bound to get scared with the
    sight of sure death in front of him. Baba then lifted him by holding him from his
    shoulders and said " Hey Bhau get up. I bring you to Shirdi not for dying. Please
    remember you will not die like this so easily, as you have to perform lot of constructive work in the future.

---------------------LIVE EXPRIENCES OF THE TARKHAD FAMILY WITH
    SHRI SAI BABA OF SHIRDI
    BY-----------------------

------Baba Farid

Offline fatima

• Blessings 16
    « Reply #23 on: May 23, 2008, 04:47:10 AM »
  • Publish
  • Excerpts from a letter written on 18/2/1920 by Shri Nilkanth Ramchandra Sahasrabuddhe citing his experiences and published in the 1st year’s third issue of Shri Sai Leela.

Late one night in the beginning of December 1910, while reading the ‘Panchadashi’ at a fellow devotee’s place, Shri Bhausaheb Dixit and Shri Nanasaheb Chandorkar arrived unexpectedly around 11 p.m. After some preliminary conversation, Nanasaheb asked me, “When are you going to Shirdi ?” “Someday,” I answered. They had asked me many times before and I had been putting it off. This time they insisted that I leave the very next day, a Sunday. I told them that I would collect my pension and go on Monday; but they were so insistent that Nanasaheb gave me Rs. 10/- for expenses and said, “Annasaheb Dabholkar will arrange to collect your pension,” I was hesitant; but reluctantly agreed, wondering if I had to stay for more days in Shirdi, would Rs. 10/- suffice. But, Bhausaheb arranged for an unlimited amount to be paid to me by giving me a letter to a treasurer in Shirdi.

Reluctantly I left for Shirdi the very next morning. My co-passenger in the Manmad Mail was a young man, who was M.A. and studying for LL.B. Conversing with him I asked him if he knew anything about Shri Sai Baba of Shirdi. “I know that mad Fakir,” was all he replied. My belief that Shirdi was a place of idiots was confirmed.

I reached Shirdi around 10 a.m. and went to Rao Bahadur Sathe’s Wada, where I was supposed to look for Shri Madhavrao Deshpande, the treasurer mentioned by Bhausaheb. Just then, I met an old friend, Laxman Krishnaji alias Tatyasaheb Noolkar, seated there. Initially when I greeted him with a Namaste, he did not recognize me; but when he did, he gave me a bear hug and said, all my work was now his responsibility. He appraised Madhavrao of my circumstances.

After bathing, Tatyasaheb took me for the Aarati in the Masjid. As Tatyasaheb paid his obeisance by touching his head on Shri Sai Baba’s Feet, I too followed suit as a matter of routine. Immediately Baba said, “Do Namaskar to Tatyaba, do Namaskar to Bapusaheb, there is no lowliness in bowing to anyone.”

Tatyasaheb had introduced me to Bapusaheb Jog earlier. Shri Sai told me to serve Tatyaba in the noon Aarati repeatedly for the next three days. Though I believed that some great souls graced this earth, I was doubtful of Shri Sai Baba’s authority. Hence, I jested with Tatyaba to give me some opportunity to serve him from the very first day. I continued to jest till one day Tatyaba told me to stop, as it hurt him immensely.

One day, I told Baba that I could not fathom the meaning of His words and that He should tell me clearly, what He meant. Unlike His other devotees, I could not deduce some hidden meaning. “Okay,” He said.

A few days later, during one of His discourses, He said, “Our experiences are not indirect. Those that feel so can go and those who don’t, should experience and then go.” I realized that these words were for me and so, told him that I would not go, until I had proof. Once again, He just said,  “Okay”.

Madhavrao would keep asking Baba about the date of my return; but Baba kept saying, “We have to work on him. Let him lie around the Masjid like a dog.” Another time He said, “He is mine; I have to do his work; whom does he have besides me ?” I was thus assured by Baba.

Tatyaba, who had been in good health all these days, suddenly became extremely ill and I resolved not to go till he got well. But, he died in the month of March. Sai’s words “Serve Tatyaba” thus came true and one day Tatyaba tearfully said, “Nilkanthrao, Baba brought you here, so that I may not suffer. Don’t you think that is what He meant, when He first uttered those words to you ?” Concentrating his sight and telling both his sons to recite the ‘Abhang’, which means - “Please remain within my sight always”, he left his body in the wee hours of the morning.

The previous day, before his condition worsened, Baba had said to Madhavrao, “Tatyaba listened to me and stayed here to achieve salvation.” Not even is highly educated doctor son could have forseen that Tatyaba’s condition would turn for the worse so suddenly. “Such a death is really the fruit of great good deeds (Maha Punya)” was everybody’s unanimous opinion as they recalled the Shloka from the Bhagvad Gita, which says that those who remember God, when the end is near achieve salvation. This was Baba’s Prasad.

In the last 35-36 years, I do not remember a single week, in which I did not have dreams. But, while in Shirdi many months passed with dream-free sleep. There could be no other reasons except Baba’s blessings. My health was good if not better in other places; but I had always had dreams.

Once, during noon Aarati, while Baba was distributing Mithai brought by a gentleman as Prasad, I wondered if my turn would come. Just then Baba smilingly gestured, “Nothing for you”; and then gave me the Prasad !

Once, referring to the fictitious name of Dadabhat Deshpande instead of mine, Baba described my proud nature, my family and circumstances. Bhausaheb Dixit asked, “Who is this Dadabhat Deshpande ?” as he and I were the only two people, who completely understood whom Baba had implied. The others did not.

One day, as soon as I entered the Masjid, Baba said, “Come Ramayya !” and asked me to come up. After some days, when Baba was distributing ‘Udi’ and it was my turn to do Namaskar, He blessed me by keeping His hand on my head and said, “Say Rama’s name,” as I had firm belief in thinking “Shri Ramam sarvam karmani”, that is Shri Ram did everything.

Once, while I was musing for three days on the thought that saints made you like them immediately, Madhavrao as usual asked Baba as to when I would be allowed to return. Baba surprisingly replied, “He wants me to get up and make him sit in my place, a job which needs patience.” Nobody, but I understood the meaning of His words !

I met the same young man I had met on the train to Shirdi, when he visited two months later. By now I had no doubts whatsoever regarding Baba’s authority and so just repeated the same question to him. Amazingly, he had changed his previous opinion about Baba within half an hour. He could not explain, why.

The first time I met Baba, He asked me for Rs. 12/- as ‘Dakshina’. After some days, He asked for Rs. 8/-. Some days later, a friend Shri Ramchandra Vaman alias Bhausaheb Modak sent Rs. 5/- by money order to Tatyasaheb, which he asked me to deliver to Baba. When I presented the amount to Baba, He said, ‘‘Keep it, you will need it for your expenses.’’ But, since I had enough money, I requested Baba to keep it, when again He said, ‘‘You will need this for your expenses, I am telling you; so keep it with you !’’ Reluctantly I kept the amount. Later, when I got His permission to leave, I intended to go to Pune or Mumbai; but due to unforseen circumstances I had to leave for Jalgaon. There was a shortfall of Rs. 5/- for the amount required to go there. I kept the note given by Baba in a sealed packet with a friend and borrowed Rs. 5/- from him. Later, I collected my sealed packet by returning the amount.

In later years, whenever I went to Shirdi, Baba asked me for exactly Rs. 15/- as ‘Dakshina’. Once, when I did not have the requisite amount, He said, ‘‘Get them from Kaka (Bhausaheb Dixit) !’’ I could not meet Kaka then; but when I went once again, he said, ‘‘I do not know your money, I will take out the Holy Book (Pothi) and you can seek for yourself.’’ But, I just returned to Baba without bothering to look in the Holy Book and telling Him, what had happened and asked Him to reveal the meaning of Rs. 15/-. But, He said, ‘‘Let it remain for the time being. We will see later; there is no hurry.’’ So, I just kept quiet and mulled over the subject. Then I remembered some lines from Shri Nath Bhagvat, which I had noted in my notebook earlier. I found great satisfaction in them. The meaning of the two lines was that the five ways of Yoga and control of ten sense organs were the ways to self-realization. It struck me that the fifteen rupees, that Baba asked for every time must be these. As it is said in the Bhagvad Gita, those who believe, will find knowledge; and my belief was not blind.

On my last visit to Shirdi, as soon as He saw me, Baba said, ‘‘It is good you came; I was thinking about you.’’ Words, I had never heard before. But, it never occurred to me that this would be His last Darshan until He left His mortal coil. This time, when I decided to return, I kept asking through Bhausaheb for permission to leave in the late afternoon, since we all believed the train left Kopargaon in the evening. But, every time, Baba would say,‘‘Let him leave tomorrow morning.’’ Finally, one day, I managed to get permission to leave in the late afternoon and reached Kopargaon station only to find that the timings of the train had changed to morning. I had to stay on the station overnight !

Once, my friend Rao Bahadur Ganpatrao Anjangaonkar had gone to Shirdi with some friends. Since he had to meet the public prosecutor in Thane regarding a District Court appeal on Sunday, he asked for permission to leave on Saturday; but Baba kept saying, ‘‘He does not need to go so early.’’ But, how can ordinary people like us believe it ? Ultimately, after many appeals by Ganpatrao, Baba said, ‘‘Go, its your wish.’’ When Ganpatrao reached Thane Court at the appointed time, he was informed that the appeal was postponed for another eight days.

------Baba Farid

Offline fatima

• Blessings 16
    « Reply #24 on: May 24, 2008, 06:37:52 AM »
  • Publish
  • One Scindhe had seven daughters and no sons.  He went up to the temple of Dattatreya at Gangapur, 200 miles away from Shirdi, and prayed there for male issue.  He vowed that if he were granted a son within twelve months, he would bring the child to Gangapur and make his offerings.  He had his prayers answered and obtained a son in twelve months.  But, for about six years, he did not go to Gangapur at all.  Then he came to Shirdi.  Baba looked at him and spoke fiercely, ‘Are you so conceited and stiff-necked?  Where was there any male progeny in your prarabdhakarma?  I tore up this body (pointing to his own body) and gave you a male child in answer to your prayer’

------Baba Farid

Offline fatima

• Blessings 16
    « Reply #25 on: May 24, 2008, 06:39:32 AM »
  • Publish
  • When N.G.Chandorkar or ‘Nana’ as Baba affectionately called him, was halting at Kopergaon, Baba sent word to him repeatedly to come to Shirdi for a visit.  Nana after much hesitation came up to Shirdi and asked Baba why he was sent for.  Baba replied that for four previous births, Nana had been intimate with Baba and that therefore in this life also, he should get into similar close contact.  Again Nana hesitated.  But Baba, by the exercise of his wonderful powers and his kindness especially, filled Nana’s heart with faith and gratitude for numerous miraculous favours showered upon him.  On one occasion when Chandorkar was stranded on a hot day on a waterless hill (Harischndra Hill) unable to climb up or get down, he suddenly exclaimed; ‘If Baba were here, he would give me water’.  Baba who was then at Shirdi, forty miles away, mentioned to the people there that Nana was thirsty and should be provided with a palmful of water.  At that time, a Bhil appeared on that hill and pointed out a palmful of water to Chandorkar, under the very rock over which the latter was seated.  Later when Nana visited Shirdi, Baba informed him that it was ;he who provided water on the waterless rock

------Baba Farid

Offline fatima

• Blessings 16
    « Reply #26 on: May 25, 2008, 02:00:13 AM »
  • Publish
  • Bhivpuri is a small railway station near Bombay.Keshavarao Pradhan lived there.Two years before Baba's samadhi Pradhan went to Shirdi and had darshan and blessings of Baba.He prayed to Baba come to Bhivpuri.Baba gave him an idol of himself and said:"You may now return to Bhivpuri with this ido.You may install it in a temple.You need not come to Shirdi to see me."Pradhan kept the idol in a room in his house.Some months later he again visited Shirdi and Baba said:'I have gone to your plce.Why have you come to Shirdi?Your own place is Bhivpuri.You should know that I am there.' Pradhan constructed a temple in a nearby village,Ukrool,installed Baba's idol there and carried on daily puja.He could see the temple from his residence.The strange thing began to happen.Pradhan saw Baba walking round the temple.During nights the temple doors would be locked by the priest and still on some nights the temple doors opened and shut automatically and Pradhan saw this happen with his own eyes.He and his family were mystified and they believed that Baba lived both in Shirdi and Bhivupuri.
    After Baba's samadhi Pradhan visited Shirdi and prayed to Baba:'When will you make your Bhivpuri mandir attain as much grandeur as your samadhi mandhir in Shirdi?'Baba granted his prayer.For soon devotees began to throng Bhivpuri in hundreds and the temple premises was expanded to accommodate the pilgrims coming from far and near.

------Baba Farid

Offline fatima

• Blessings 16
    « Reply #27 on: May 31, 2008, 06:06:56 AM »
  • Publish
  • rao saheb yeshwant janardan galwankar, B.A., Brahmin, Landholder and Superintendent, Home department, Secretar­iat, Bombay, aged 51, living at Turner Road, Bandra (Bombay 20), says:

I visited Sai Baba in 1911 first. I went because my father-in-law. Mr. Dabholkar and other relations, went to Baba. I had heard of his saintliness but was not very serious personally to benefit by the visit either temporally or spiritu­ally. I went thus four or five times. But gradually my interest increased. He appeared in my dream and asked for Rs. 2 dakshina. When I woke up, I resolved to send it and I sent Rs. 2 M.O to Baba at Shirdi. In that dream, he gave me two valuable directions, first,i.e., behave with probity and integrity: secondly, be chaste, be sexually pure. I have followed these directions with great care and zeal. Then on one occasion, it was perhaps 1917, when I went to Shirdi, he placed his palm over my head and that had a strange effect on me. I forgot myself and all surroundings and passed into as ecstatic condition. Then, it seems, Baba was telling others present (as I was told afterwards) that I was a soul characterized by integrity and purity, that I went through certain forms, states and conditions in my previous births (which he described), that he placed me in my present mother's womb in this birth and that I had still retained my integrity and purity.

I went to him during my Christmas or other vacations. He never made me overstay my leave. I have full faith in him. He has, however, given me neither Adwaitic self-realisation nor any other teaching on ethical or religious matters- except what I have stated already. I have, however, heard him say at one of my visits to Shirdi, i.e., I am not (confined) within this body of 3 1/2 cubits- height, I am everywhere. See me in every place." I believe that all my studies are directed by him, and I go on studying Gita, Bhagavata, Le., Eka-dashaskandha of Ekanath. But I was not directed by him to study them, in the way in which he directed Jog, H.S.Dixit, etc., I am sorry I made so little use of him, to get into contact with him before he attained Mahasamadhi. I was much younger and, therefore, not so serious-minded then as I am now. I found also few among those who approached him, fit enough to take to self-realisation. Hardly any soared so high. Even up to other spiritual and levels few soared.

As for dakshinas, when I went to him first, I started from my lodgings to go to his Mosque. But on the way I recollected that he would ask for dakshina. So I went back and took Rs.2, in order that I might pay it to him. When I was with him at the Mosque, he asked me for dakshina. I paid him the Rs.2, and he did not ask me for more. I was glad to note his Antarjnana of my intention and preparation to pay him Rs.2, and his kindness in accepting that amount. Baba has been kind to me. I am perfectly content to continue in the state in which I am placed.

(Some years back) In 1921. perhaps, I started with my family to Prayag and Kashi. At Prayag, I was taken to all holy spots. At Bharadwajashrama, my heart was touched and I prayed to Sai Baba to give me the sight of some Sant. I had told my guide also, that besides seeing holy spots, I was anxious to see holy Sants. Within a few minutes after we left Bharadwaja's Ashram, the guide stopped our Tongas and pointed to a venerable Saint, "Whose beard descending swept his aged breast." The guide stated that rarely, once in some years or so, that Saint would visit Prayag, that his Saintliness was widely known, that he would not allow people to ap­proach him and that he would accept no money. Seeing him, so soon after my prayer for the sight of a Saint, my heart was all aglow and I went near enough to him, despite my guide's protests. The Sant far from being angry, welcomed me with arms raised by way of blessing and said "Come, child." My wife, mother and other ladies also approached despite my guide's objections. They too were well received and blessed by him. Then I bethought myself what gifts I should give. I had no flower, fruit or eatable with me. I found three annas in my pocket and gave it to him. Much to the surprise of my guide and contrary to his custom, he received the annas, looked at the coins with a pleased countenance and pocketed them. I felt that it was Sai Baba that gave me this welcome and accepted dakshina.

Since I got ecstasy by Baba's blessing, I began to pay more attention to Adhyatma, le., spiritual side of my exis­tence. Then came the second stage in 1932. I had a dream then. Baba came to me in that dream and asked me, "What do you want?" I replied. "I want to get Prem,i.e., Love, that and that alone". Baba blessed me with Prem and disap­peared. Ever since then, I have had spells of Prem gushing through me - sometimes while I meditate, sometimes while I am reading

------Baba Farid

Offline fatima

• Blessings 16

One day Baba Saheb Tarkhad and his son Jyotindra had a dream in which they saw a beautiful carved mandir with Baba seated on it. Accordingly they got a beautiful Sandal wood mandir carved by special carpenter. They needed Baba's portrait.

Let us see the wonderful way how Baba arranged His photo. One friday evening, both the father and son went to chor bazar in Bombay. A muslim shopkeeper ran to them and asked to collect parcel meant for them. As the shopkeeper was new to them, they asked him how did he know a parcel was meant for them. The shopkeeper narrated that one saintly, elderly person came to his shop and handed over the parcel and also paid Rs 50/- towards service charges. The elderly person wanted it to be given to a hindu father with an english hat and son wearing a black gandhi cap. Exactly Tarkhad and son wore hat and cap.

When they asked him to open the parcel it contained a framed photo of Lord Sainath suitable to be kept in the sandolwood mandir.

Later Tarkhad family went to Shirdi and had Baba's darshan in Dwarakamai. At the sametime Baba told a devotee who was trying to take Baba's photo "Please go to my Bhau's place where you will find me alive in the photograph in the mandir" Tarkdad's were very happy to hear this news and shed tears of joy.

Dear readers, Let us recapitulate Baba's declaration that there is no difference between Him and His photo. Did not Baba attend in the form of His photo Hemandpant's shimaga dinner? When Shama sought Baba's permission to go to Kaashi and Prayaga did not Baba say "WE would be ahead of Shama", actually Baba's photo was hung in Pujari's house in prayag?

BOW TO SAI !! PEACE BE TO ALL!!

OM SAI SRI SAI JAYA JAYA SAI!!!

------Baba Farid

Offline fatima

• Blessings 16
    « Reply #29 on: June 09, 2008, 03:04:11 AM »
  • Publish
  • Sri Jyotindra, Son of Ramachandra Tarkhad( Chap 9 of SSS) defined the word SAI as follows -- SA means Saakshat (real), I means Ishwar (God),after experiencing the Divine powers of Sainath Prabhu in his very first meeting at Shirdi itself. Baba Himself gave darshan to Jyotindra in Mumbai in the guise of a 'Fakir'. We are aware that Baba has declared "I require no conveyance, carriage, tonga nor train nor aeroplane" and also "No door is necessary for my entry, I have neither shape nor size, I am always everywhere" . Yes, Baba's assurances are always true.

One day while Jyotindra was crossing the road to go to school (St Xaviers, Bombay) after lunch, a Fakir approached him for alms. Young student gave one copper paisa coin of the year 1894 assuring it was in circulation. The fakir blessed " Allah Bhala Karega". We will know Baba preserved the same to return to the boy at Shirdi in his first meeting.

How Tarkhad family was pulled to Shirdi? Mrs Atmaram Tarkhad ie., Jyotindra's mother had a chronic headache, which could not be cured by doctors. The family of Tarkhads was full of doctors. One of them was personal doctor to the then Viceroy. Somebody suggested her to approach Pir Moulana Baba residing near Bandra Masjid for suitable medicines. On seeing her, Moulana Baba advised to go to his brother at Shirdi for treatment. After getting details of location of Shirdi including route particulars both mother and son left for Shirdi.

The moment Baba saw them at Dwarakamai, He Himself told they were guided by His brother from Bandra to Shirdi. He blessed her with a 'Abhaya Hastha' with Udhi and said "Oh, Mother! from now onwards you will never get headache in your life", she got instant relief and was surprised to know that Baba Himself did what was required without their telling Him. Ofcourse this incident laid firm foundation of Sai devotion in her and son's heart.

Jyotindra who was observing Baba's peculiar treatment for his mother's headache was astonished and fell on Baba's feet as a mark of gratitude. Then Baba asked whether he could recognise Him. As he could not Baba narrated how He collected one paisa copper coin of 1894 while he was crossing the road on his way to the school. Now Jyotindra could recollect and caught hold of Baba's legs with tears of joy in his eyes. Then Baba confirmed it was He who received the coin and the Fakir and Himself were one and the same. To confirm this He showed the same coin and returned it to Jyotindra for preservation and worship.

We know from the above that Baba in His own mysterious ways pulled the sparrows(devotees) to Shirdi.

OM SAI SRI SAI JAYA JAYA SAI !!

------Baba Farid

Facebook Comments