Join Sai Baba Announcement List

DOWNLOAD SAMARPAN - Nov 2018

Author Topic: Bhakti  (Read 2541 times)

Offline OmSaiRamNowOn

• Blessings 0
  • Trust in Me and your prayer shall be answered.
    • Sai Baba
Bhakti
« on: December 11, 2006, 10:29:02 PM »
  • Publish
  • Jai Sai Ram.

Bhakti softens the heart and removes jealousy, hatred, lust, anger, egoism, pride and arrogance. It infuses joy, divine ecstasy, bliss, peace and knowledge. All cares, worries and anxieties, fears, mental torments and tribulations entirely vanish. The devotee is freed from the Samsaric wheel of births and deaths. He attains the immortal abode of everlasting peace, bliss and knowledge.
    The fruits of Bhakti is Jnana. Jnana intensifies Bhakti. Even Jnanis like Sankara, Madhusudana and Suka Dev took to Bhakti after Realization to enjoy the sweetness of loving relationship with God.
    Knowledge or wisdom will dawn by itself when you practice Bhakti. Bhakti is the pleasant, smooth, direct road to God. Bhakti is sweet in the beginning, sweet in the middle and sweet in the end. It gives the highest, undecaying bliss.
    Kindle love divine in thy heart, for this is the immediate way to the Kingdom of God.
    Pray to the Lord. Sing His glory. Recite His Name. Become a channel of His grace.
    Seek His will. Do His will. Surrender to His will. You will become one with the cosmic will.
    Surrender unto the Lord. He will become your charioteer on the field of life. He will drive your chariot well. You will reach the destination, the Abode of Immortal Bliss.

Aum Sai Ram !
    SAI SAI SAI SAI SAI
    SAI SAI SAI SAI
    SAI SAI

-Anju
    Om Sai Ram !

-Anju

"Abandon all varieties of religion and just surrender unto Me. I shall deliver you from all sinful reactions. Do not fear."

Offline SaiServant

• Blessings 15
      • Sai Baba
    Re: Bhakti
    « Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 01:04:53 AM »
  • Publish
  • My dearest Anju ji,
    Sai Ram!!

This post couldn't have come at a better time. A sincere thanks to you!! Kindly lead this sister on Bhakti Marg. I love Baba, but my ego gets in my way to perfection. People call me 'sensitive'. Perhaps, they mean to compliment me by saying that. But, I know only 'ego' gets hurt or sad. Since long, I've been praying to Baba to make me equanimous. Even after I surrendered to Him in true sense, it persists. I got an evidence about it recently.

My request to all Sai Bandhus to post as much on Bhakti under this thread as you can. Help this sister please [:(]

May Baba bless you all.

Om Sai Ram!!

Sunita Raina

Offline OmSaiRamNowOn

• Blessings 0
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 12:42:40 AM »
  • Publish
  • Jai Sai Ram.

"God cannot remain unmoved if you have rAga-bhakti, that is, love of God, with passionate attachment to Him. Do you know how fond God is of His devotee's love? It is like the cow's fondness for fodder mixed with oil-cake. The cow gobbles it down greedily."

"RAga-bhakti is pure love of God, a love that seeks God alone and not any worldly end. PrahlAda had it. Suppose you go to a wealthy man every day, but you seek no favour of him; you simply love to see him. If he wants to show you favour,you say: 'No, sir, I don't need anything. I came just to see you.'Such is love of God for its own sake.You simply love God and don't want anything from Him in return."

Aum Sai Ram !
    SAI SAI SAI SAI SAI
    SAI SAI SAI SAI
    SAI SAI

-Anju
    Om Sai Ram !

-Anju

"Abandon all varieties of religion and just surrender unto Me. I shall deliver you from all sinful reactions. Do not fear."

Offline SaiServant

• Blessings 15
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 02:22:54 AM »
  • Publish
  • Jai Sai Ram!!

Love that seeks something in return is "selfish love". If love becomes selfish, does it remain love? No. Love just becomes another name for convenience, acquisition, reciprocity, burden, and greed. In current world, humans love one another mostly like that. Much less to talk of God, who is approached with wish-lists.

Yes, pure love gives. It does not seek. Bhakti with expectations is not bhakti, but selfishness.

Om Sai Ram!!

Sunita Raina

Offline Ramesh Ramnani

• Blessings 60
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 09:42:13 AM »
  • Publish
  • JAI SAI RAM!!!

The founder of Sikhism, Nanak, was one of those beautiful people for whom I have immense love. He was a simple man. He had just one disciple, and that too because he loved to sing. All his teachings were delivered in singing, spontaneous singing -- not like a poet composing -- and his disciple would play on a simple instrument just to give some music to what the Master was saying.

MAY BABA SAI BLESS YOU ALL HIS ABUNDANCE.....

OM SAI RAM!!!
    अपना साँई प्यारा साँई सबसे न्यारा अपना साँई - रमेश रमनानी

Offline OmSaiRamNowOn

• Blessings 0
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 09:39:49 PM »
  • Publish
  • Jai Sai Ram.

kamnaa ko tyaag, bhakti raah pe tu chal...
    vasnaa mein kayuoN jale, aarti saa jal..

When the intellectual curiosity has been satiated, when there are no more questions to be asked, when all the spiritual knowledge catalogued and presented in flowery prose by the learned people has been scanned, dissected and assimilated; without the person being able to still the tidal waves of his psyche, it is then that the mental speculation gives way to the practice of ‘Bhakti’. It is then that the intellect surrenders to the divine in a spirit of devotion. It is then that the man’s ascent to a spiritual life begins.
    A person introduces an element of ‘Bhakti’ in his life with his very first visit to a temple. When he gets there, the person does not have to recite any prayers, he does not even have to utter a single word, for the Lord can see the devotion in his heart. Just showing up with folded hands and devotion in his heart for a Darshan - Darshan, which requires neither prayer nor commitment but rather is an act of being in His presence, an act that submerges the self in a striving for the infinite - stills the troubled waves of ones mind. About a visit to the temple, the poet says,

“kahne kee zaroorat nahin, aana hee bahut hai,
    is dar pe tera sis jhukana hee bahut hai”

Aum Sai Ram !
    SAI SAI SAI SAI SAI
    SAI SAI SAI SAI
    SAI SAI

-Anju
    Om Sai Ram !

-Anju

Offline Ramesh Ramnani

• Blessings 60
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #6 on: December 15, 2006, 07:34:06 AM »
  • Publish
  • JAI SAI RAM!!!

Nanak attained God by singing to him; Nanak's quest is very unusual -- his path was decorated with songs. The first thing to be realized is that Nanak practiced no austerities or meditation or yoga; he only sang, and singing, he arrived. He sang with all his heart and soul, so much so that his singing became meditation; his singing became his purification and his yoga. Whenever a person performs any act with all his heart and soul, that act becomes the path.

OM SAI RAM!!!

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
    • OM SHRI SAI NATHAYA NAMAHA
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #7 on: December 15, 2006, 09:54:58 PM »
  • Publish
  • In the Srimad-Bhagavata and the Vishnu Purana it is told that the nine forms of Bhakti are

Sravana (hearing of God's Lilas and stories),
    Kirtana (singing of His glories),
    Smarana (remembrance of His name and presence),
    Padasevana (service of His feet),
    Archana (worship of God),
    Vandana (prostration to Lord),
    Dasya (cultivating the Bhava of a servant with God),
    Sakhya (cultivation of the friend-Bhava) and
    Atmanivedana (complete surrender of the self).

Jaisairam.

subhasrini
    OM SAI SRI SAI JAYA JAYA SAI!!!
    Let us pray at the feet of Sai Baba who is the incarnation of all gods and protector of all, to show mercy on us, and increase our devotion towards him.
    A Person, who has controlled his mind, can achieve any success in his life. How far you are trying to control your mind?
    The mind that judges not others ever remains tension-free.
    http://lh5.ggpht.com/_lOgd1uS-wX0/TCOlFNMxIBI/AAAAAAAAE88/GpxUgxnwioE/why_fear_when_i_am_here.jpg

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #8 on: December 15, 2006, 09:56:28 PM »
  • Publish
  • A devotee can practice any method of Bhakti which suits him best. Through that he will attain Divine illumination.

Sravana is hearing of Lord's Lilas. Sravana includes hearing of God's virtues, glories, sports and stories connected with His divine Name and Form. The devotee gets absorbed in the hearing of Divine stories and his mind merges in the thought of divinity; it cannot think of undivine things. The mind loses, as it were, its charm for the world. The devotee remembers God only even in dream.

The devotee should sit before a learned teacher who is a great saint and hear Divine stories. He should hear them with a sincere heart devoid of the sense of criticism or fault-finding. The devotee should try his best to live in the ideals preached in the scriptures.

One cannot attain Sravana-Bhakti without the company of saints or wise men. Mere reading for oneself is not of much use. Doubts will crop up. They cannot be solved by oneself easily. An experienced man is necessary to instruct the devotee in the right path.

King Parik**** attained Liberation through Sravana. He heard the glories of God from Suka Maharishi. His heart was purified. He attained the Abode of Lord Vishnu in Vaikuntha. He became liberated and enjoyed the Supreme Bliss.

Kirtana is singing of Lord's glories. The devotee is thrilled with Divine Emotion. He loses himself in the love of God. He gets horripilation in the body due to extreme love for God. He weeps in the middle when thinking of the glory of God. His voice becomes choked, and he flies into a state of Divine Bhava. The devotee is ever engaged in Japa of the Lord's Name and in describing His glories to one and all. Wherever he goes he begins to sing and praise God. He requests all to join his Kirtana. He sings and dances in ecstasy. He makes others also dance.

Smarana is remembrance of the Lord at all times. This is unbroken memory of the Name and Form of the Lord. The mind does not think of any object of the world, but is ever engrossed in thinking of the glorious Lord alone. The mind meditates on what is heard about the glories of God and His virtues, Names, etc., and forgets even the body and contents itself in the remembrance of God, just as Dhruva or Prahlada did. Even Japa is only remembrance of God and comes under this category of Bhakti. Remembrance also includes hearing of stories pertaining to God at all times, talking of God, teaching to others what pertains to God, meditation on the attributes of God, etc. Remembrance has no particular time. God is to be remembered at all times without break, so long as one has got his consciousness intact.

Padasevana is serving the Lord's Feet. Actually this can be done only by Lakshmi or Parvati. No mortal being has got the fortune to practice this method of Bhakti, for the Lord is not visible to the physical eyes. But it is possible to serve the image of God in idols and better still, taking the whole humanity as God. This is Padasevana. Padasevana is service of the sick. Padasevana is service of the whole humanity at large. The whole universe is only Virat-Swarupa. Service of the world is service of the Lord.

Archana is worship of the Lord. Worship can be done either through an image or a picture or even a mental form. The image should be one appealing to the mind of the worshipper.

Worship can be done either with external materials or merely through an internal Bhava or strong feeling. The latter one is an advanced form of worship which only men of purified intellect can do. The purpose of worship is to please the Lord, to purify the heart through surrender of the ego and love of God.

Vandana is prayer and prostration. Humble prostration touching the earth with the eight limbs of the body (Sashtanga-Namaskara), with faith and reverence, before a form of God, or prostration to all beings knowing them to be the forms of the One God, and getting absorbed in the Divine Love of the Lord is termed prostration to God or Vandana.

The ego or Ahamkara is effaced out completely through devout prayer and prostration to God. Divine grace descends upon the devotee and man becomes God.

Dasya Bhakti is the love of God through servant-sentiment. To serve God and carry out His wishes, realizing His virtues, nature, mystery and glory, considering oneself as a slave of God, the Supreme Master, is Dasya Bhakti.

Serving and worshipping the Murtis in temples, sweeping the temple premises, meditating on God and mentally serving Him like a slave, serving the saints and the sages, serving the devotees of God, serving poor and sick people who are forms of God, is also included in Dasya-Bhakti.

To follow the words of the scriptures, to act according to the injunctions of the Vedas, considering them to be direct words of God, is Dasya Bhakti. Association with and service of love-intoxicated devotees and service of those who have knowledge of God is Dasya Bhakti. The purpose behind Dasya Bhakti is to be ever with God in order to offer service to Him and win His Divine Grace and attain thereby immortality.

Sakhya-Bhava is the cultivation of the friend-sentiment with God. The inmates of the family of Nandagopa cultivated this Bhakti. Arjuna cultivated this kind of Bhakti towards Lord Krishna.

To be always with the Lord, to treat Him as one's own dear relative or a friend belonging to one's own family, to be in His company at all times, to love Him as one's own self, is Sakhya-Bhava of Bhakti-Marga. How do friends, real friends, love in this world ? What an amount of love they possess between one another ? Such a love is developed towards God instead of towards man; physical love turned into spiritual love. There is a transformation of the mundane into the Eternal.

Atma-Nivedana is self-surrender. The devotee offers everything to God, including his body, mind and soul. He keeps nothing for himself. He loses even his own self. He has no personal and independent existence. He has given up his self for God. He has become part and parcel of God. God takes care of him and God treats him as Himself. Grief and sorrow, pleasure and pain, the devotee treats as gifts sent by God and does not attach himself to them. He considers himself as a puppet of God and an instrument in the hands of God.

This self-surrender is Absolute Love for God exclusively. There is nothing but God-consciousness in the devotee. Even against his own wishes, the devotee shall become one with God and lose his individuality. This is the law of being. The highest truth is Absoluteness and the soul rises above through different states of consciousness until it attains Absolute Perfection when it becomes identical with God. This is the culmination of all aspiration and love.

The nine modes of Bhakti are the ways in which a devotee attains the Supreme Ideal of life. A devotee can take up any of these paths and reach the highest state. The path of Bhakti is the easiest of all and is not very much against the nature of human inclinations. It slowly and gradually takes the individual to the Supreme without frustrating his human instincts. It is not direct assertion of God, but a progressive realization of Him.

Jaisairam.

subhasrini
    Let us pray at the feet of Sai Baba who is the incarnation of all gods and protector of all, to show mercy on us, and increase our devotion towards him.
    A Person, who has controlled his mind, can achieve any success in his life. How far you are trying to control your mind?
    http://lh5.ggpht.com/_lOgd1uS-wX0/TCOlFNMxIBI/AAAAAAAAE88/GpxUgxnwioE/why_fear_when_i_am_here.jpg

Offline Ramesh Ramnani

• Blessings 60
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #9 on: December 15, 2006, 11:06:49 PM »
  • Publish
  • HE will never fail a loving heart.......

The reason that most of us are unable to love God is that we don't know who or what God is. We can see and touch worldly objects and enjoy them, but where is God? What does He look like? It is difficult to love something or someone whom we do not know.

Some people think of God as a judge sitting in heaven, giving out rewards (heaven) and punishments (hell). Many think of HIM as a servant who is supposed to do their bidding by granting them whatever they are praying for, and they can forget all about HIM the rest of the time. But God is neither servant nor grantor! HE is the very Self of all beings. HE is That without which nothing could exist. HE is like the gold in the ornaments or the clay in the pots. HE is the underlying support of the entire creation.

There are innumerable ways in which love for the GOD can be expressed. Just like we can express it in different ways to the people that we love. We may want to talk to them, buy them gifts, praise them, want to spend time together with, or simply want to just think about them all the time. Similarly, devotees express their love for God in various ways, depending on their aptitude and attitude. Some people think that going to the temple and singing HIS glories is the way to express devotion. That is one way. There are others who spend hours performing elaborate rituals, chanting numerous prayers or repeating the name of the GOD either at home, or at the temple. Others remember HIM at all times in all their activities. Some meditate on the Self in order to realize GOD within them. While others listen to HIS glories and attend spiritual discourses. Then there are some who worship HIM through work, they act with the attitude that they are doing GOD's work. This kind of worship is called karma yoga. All the ways of worship are good, but the most important ingredient in all is love. Worship without love is just mechanical. It is this attitude of sincere love that turns any activity into devotion for the GOD.

So how does one develop devotion for the GOD? In chapter eleven of the Bhagavad Gita, Lord Krishna says, "Through devotion a person comes to know Me as I am." In reality, if we want to know about anything, be it art, music, or science, we have to develop a love for it. So what we need to do is to develop some sort of relationship with GOD, what kind does not matter.

Some people worship HIM as their master (Daasya Bhava), a supreme example of this is Hanumanji. Many people look up to GOD as father or mother. Some think of GOD as their beloved, as did Mirabai, who spent her time singing Lord Krishna's praises. It was also seen in the gopis who danced Raas Lila with HIM, the bliss that they experienced is indescribable. Still others see GOD as a child (Vatsalya Bhava), and their attitude is of giving and not wanting anything in return, as did Mother Yashoda with Lord Krishna. Some people love GOD as a friend( Sakhya Bhava) as Arjuna did. Lord Krishna says to Arjuna: "You are my devotee and my friend. That is why I am giving you this Knowledge."

The beauty of Bhakti is that we have the freedom to worship GOD in whichever form we may choose; be it Rama, Krishna, Shiva, Allah, Jesus, BABA SAI or the formless Infinite Reality. The only requirement is that we must absorb our heart in the Lord. HE can then assume whatever form we want HIM to have. If our efforts are sincere HE will be there for us. HE will never fail a loving heart.

Offline SS91

• Members
    • Blessings 37
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #10 on: December 21, 2006, 04:29:36 AM »
  • Publish
  • paritrânâya sâdhûnâm
    vinâsâya ca duskrtâm
    dharma-samsthâpanârthâya
    sambhavâmi yuge yuge

OM  SAI  RAM

paritrânâya -- for the deliverance; sâdhûnâm -- of the devotees; vinâsâya -- for the annihilation; ca -- and; duskrtâm -- of the miscreants; dharma -- principles of religion; samsthâpana-arthâya -- to reestablish; sambhavâmi -- I do appear; yuge -- millennium; yuge -- after millennium.

To liberate the seekers of truth, to take the power away from the wicked ones and to reestablish the way of the human principles I do appear age after age.

JAI  SAI  RAM.

subhasrini

Offline OmSaiRamNowOn

• Blessings 0
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #11 on: December 26, 2006, 11:40:58 PM »
  • Publish
  • Jai Sai Ram.

In Bhakti, there is no giving or taking. The bhakta becomes one with his deity and exuberates His grace in every thought and action of His. Baba had said, "I give to my devotees, what they want so that they may learn to want, what I want to give to them". What was it that He wanted to give to His devotees? Pure Satvik Bhakti and the resultant love which could engulf the devotees' whole being.

Aum Sai Ram !
    SAI SAI SAI SAI SAI
    SAI SAI SAI SAI
    SAI SAI

-Anju
    Om Sai Ram !

-Anju

Facebook Comments