Join Sai Baba Announcement List

DOWNLOAD SAMARPAN - Nov 2018

Author Topic: Baba please help me understand meaning of SEWA.  (Read 3143 times)

Offline rpuril

• Blessings 0
    • Sai Baba
Baba please help me understand meaning of SEWA.
« on: September 29, 2006, 03:25:54 AM »
  • Publish
  • Jai Sai Raam,

Hello all Sai Devotees in the name of Sai Baba I am starting this discussion to learn myself and to learn from all of you what "SEWA" means to all of us? In what terms we can do SEWA and how and for whom. Any thoughts are welcome here.

My understanding if you give food to people who are poor and who cannot afford food, give clothes to people who cannot afford clothes will be a good SEWA. I have read in Sai Sachritra that SEWA meant so much to Sai Baba, he will himself prepare food for poor people with his own hands. Also taking care of elderly people like your own parents or anyone else who needs care is Sewa.

Now the good question is in country like USA how we can do this, anyone living outside or in India please answer, how SEWA can be performed and what kind of SEWA can be performed so that we continue towards path what Sai Baba ji has shown to all of us.

We do Bhajans of Sai Baba every other Saturday conducted by www.saikrupa.org in New Jersey USA. My wife cooks some Prasad and we take that to Bhajans, which is disctributed among all devotees at the end of the bhajan. Somehow its just Prasad its not a real Sewa as people who come at Bhajan, can always afoord food in here, I am so confused you all Sai Devotees please show some way out, or I will ask Baba ji please show some way out. We also donate money during our visit at bhajans to the organisation which is used for the bhajans expenses and at some point will be used for builiding temple of Sai baba in New Jersey, but still I am not 100% satisfied this to consider it as SEWA.

Please suggest.

Sai Raam
    Rakesh

Offline OmSaiRamNowOn

• Blessings 0
    • Trust in Me and your prayer shall be answered.
      • Sai Baba
    Re: Baba please help me understand meaning of SEWA.
    « Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 07:01:59 AM »
  • Publish
  • SaiRam Rakesh Bhai, with limited understanding and experience I have about Seva, I would like to suggest - Seva is engaging in spiritual, educational and service activities, both at the individual and community level, in an organized, systematic manner, without expecting any material reward or appreciation, but solely as a means to win God’s Love and Grace. Seva must seek no reward, not even gratitude or thanks from the recipients. Seva is sadhana (spiritual exercise), not a pastime of the rich and well placed. Seva can begin at home - Seva to parents and relations and known/known people especially those needing help. In USA - you can you can volunteer for several organisations and at events depending on whether you want to help in person or by doing charity. Checkout volunteermatch.org and charity.org - also check out http://www.hsus.org/ or http://h4ha.org/goals.html for locating local humane society org where you can offer help for animals in any way. You can also locate Indian american organisations. Other Bandhus can also suggest more ways. Hope this helps.
    OM SAI SRI SAI JAYA JAYA SAI

Aum Sai Ram !
    SAI SAI SAI SAI SAI
    SAI SAI SAI SAI
    SAI SAI

-Anju
    Om Sai Ram !

-Anju

"Abandon all varieties of religion and just surrender unto Me. I shall deliver you from all sinful reactions. Do not fear."

Offline rpuril

• Blessings 0
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 08:21:17 PM »
  • Publish
  • Jai Sai Raam Anju,

I have donated in Sankara Eye Foundation and last week I got the name of the person who was operated with that money, its good to know that it was used for a good cause. Thanks for your suggessions I will try to find out more from the URL's you have provided.
    Any other suggessions are always welcome.

Om Sai Raam
    Rakesh

Offline Ramesh Ramnani

• Blessings 60
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #3 on: October 01, 2006, 04:12:35 AM »
  • Publish
  • JAI SAI RAM!!!

Rakesh Bhai our beloved Anju has given nice reply on sewa.  I think the few of the following definations of Sewa will help u understand more on your topic on Sewa.

SEWA (SELFLESS-SERVICE)

Another great step on the spiritual path is sewa-selfless service. Sewa is any action performed without any thought of obtaining advantage, gain or payment. We are all one and, are responsible for one another. Rendering selfless service to humanity is the Das Dharam path. One who serves with love, humility and patience, who seeks no recompense shall find divine grace and union with the Lord. There are three types of Sewa that a disciple can perform. They are clarified as follows

THE SEWA OF THE MIND

Sewa of the mind is meditating upon Naam -Guru Mantra Yoga. To practice regularly upon reciting Naam-Guru Mantra Yoga, withdrawing the consciousness to the third eye centre and connecting it with the divine sound internally that is real Sewa, which is impressed upon by all Spiritual Masters and Enlighten Gurus.

THE SEWA OF THE PHYSICAL SELF

Sewa of the physical self helps in eliminating our ego from within ourselves. Ego is a constant adversary on the spiritual path. Performing physical Seva makes one feel more humble working shoulder to shoulder with the masses. Everyone is treated equally living, resting, working side by side, naturally you then become more humbler

THE SEWA OF DONATION

The third Sewa is of donation, usually accumulating too much wealth leads towards vices and attachment. It inflates the ego giving a sense of superiority. But if wealth is utilized for the well being of the masses for the common good of all or in holy congregation. Your donation and hard work shall reap spiritual divine blessings. Creating in turn positive karma for you and your loved ones. Any donation or Seva offered by devotees is most welcomed, but the real Seva, as all Spiritual Masters and Enlighten Gurus state, is to attend to the practice of Guru Mantra Yoga which shall connect the soul to the divine Naam within.
    अपना साँई प्यारा साँई सबसे न्यारा अपना साँई - रमेश रमनानी

Offline vasantkhisty

• Blessings 0
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #4 on: October 01, 2006, 09:18:53 AM »
  • Publish
  • dear rakesh ji,

bible says, what we give with our right hand the left hand shouldnt know. when you mention what you do , it looses its glory. Seva can be a smile to some body. seva can be a pat on a back to some one. Seva can be a prayer for some one. Seva is what sudama did for lord krishna. seva is always spontaneous. seva is self less. seva is not done for seeking anything not even blessings. true seva is selfless. seva is what mother teresa did for destitutes in 42 countries. Not all can be mother teresa. just give what ever u can without any expectation. seva is being patient with old people especially parents. most people do seva to show to the world. They serve food in temples and have their names on the board. In ture sence seva is some thing in whichleft hand doesnt know what the right has done. This is my vie

regards

vasant

Offline vasantkhisty

• Blessings 0
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #5 on: October 03, 2006, 02:12:30 PM »
  • Publish
  • Dear Rakeshji,

There are professional organisations who are experts in doing seva. Like the sisters of charity of mother teresa. You can donate them whatever you can and they do seva in a very professional and honest manner.You can also go to them and provide food, or go and cut nais of destitutes, or sing songs for them or clean the windows, or paint the doors, or sing sai bhajans etc. they are very open. Even in USA they have branches. Irrespective of hindu, muslim or christian they help the needy. Like I give eggs every week. they have TB patients for whom eggs are beneficial. I feel we should leave this to professionally managed organisations and we can go and help them. Like Some times i see sick deserving children, and having convinced that this child deserves to be helped, i look out for funds. There are many small ways you can help. More than helping others we help ourselves only as what we give always comes back when we need. Its like a deposit for the time when we will need it. The system will always pay us back. So keep doing whcih ever way. best wishes. There is sisters of charity in new york too.

vasant khisty

Offline rpuril

• Blessings 0
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #6 on: October 03, 2006, 11:29:22 PM »
  • Publish
  • Jai Sai Raam,

Vasant ji, you are right that is the right way to think and do Seva, I have always tried the same in my whole life not to let anyone hurt or not to let anything bad happen to anyone because of me. I tried my best to give my best to my parents and any other elders. I feel huge enjoyment when I touch feet of my visiting parents and my friends and when they give blessings, each and everytime. But at the same time when I read Sai Sacharitra it says that serve the poor and hungry people, how will it happen in USA I am still trying to find out. The main cause is when I want to help someone homeless in New York City next thought that comes to my mind is will that money be used by this person for DRUGS, which again will not be a good act. So thats what bothers me how and what to do that can benefit others. I do not want anything in return for sure but all I want is the right AID reaches right PERSON. Please advise.

Thanks
    Rakesh

Offline dilhani

• Blessings 0
      • Sai Baba
    « Reply #7 on: October 30, 2006, 08:56:21 AM »
  • Publish
  • dear devotees.

sevaaaaaaaa....i agree with ur ideas.......all of those ideas......

how about if some one has done a bad thing in the past.....and if she or he comes to the temple.....think now he or she is not bad....she or he might have changed a lot and in a very gooooooood way............and she/he wants to turn the life back and start over with good new friends and religion............so she/he comes to the temple......searching the god...with a goooood faith.....

what do u think..........do you forgive...........???can u forgive??? and accept her/him as a good person ...as a good devotee....??? do you wish to accept her/him?????

let me know...........

thank you.

dilhani
    dilhani

Facebook Comments